Salary for "Family Helper"

We have what we call a "Family Helper" for lack of a better term. He does most of the cooking, cleaning, building maintenance, and heavy yard work along with misc., errands. He also acts as our driver from time to time. He also cares for us if one of us is sick or injured. We provide him with his own air conditioned room in our small guest house. The room in the guest house, in addition to all of his food and electricity is payed for by us. I would like to get a sense of what other people might be paying for services such as this. Assuming that anyone else is. Our property is about 1 rai with two small houses in a rural area of NE Thailand. My only motivation for this is to find out if we are underpaying him. He is a great guy with a lot of enthusiasm and I don't want to feel like we are taking advantage of him. I know that I have not included his salary in this post but I will after I get some comments.

I myself am not in your situation but if your truly like this guy & all he does for you & your family I would be paying him about 10,000bht per month

@rzugnoni

We pay 15K.  Not doing all the tasks your guy is doing.  You've got a great guy! 

NE (isan) ? Very Good salary 15,000 for an amazing guy you will keep him long time ! you should also offer one day off per week and pay social security .

We are paying 13000/month. We do give him time off as he needs it. We have tried giving him a day off each week. Even then he still does things on his own for us. He does not like sitting still for more than a few hours at a time. Whenever he has to do his own family things for like one or two weeks we still pay him. That said, we will probably increase his salary by 1000 to 2000 baht.

I very much appreciate the comments. Thank you.

@rzugnoni

Would love to get a reference for someone who can clean the yard.  And do some NE cooking.  Please contact me***.  Thanks. 

Moderated by Bhavna 4 weeks ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

300-500$ in month?  Really? For all of this jobs?  Guys, tell me please - Scrudge McDuck is not your grandfather?   As  for me - this job must cost minimum 1000 - 1500$.  For junior helper.  Real man, who can cooking, cleaning, babysitter, plumber, electrick e.t.c. must get 3000 - 5000$ per month.

My wife has friends who work as maids (cooking and cleaning) and earn THB 20K per month for a six day week, with accommodation, utilities and food free. They also get an annual bonus. However, this is in Phuket and I imagine pay rates are somewhat lower in Isaan.

We pay a guy for all odd.jobs, maintenance, gardening, constructions around 10.000 per month and housing off premises plus meals from our kitchen.

9 to 5, Sundays off, sick leave etc.

Bonus before NY and Songkrahn.

Minimum pay is 300 thb per day, but will go up soon.

Giving him some more is a good wage for him. Some addittional with housing and food. He has his own insurance , Thai gold card. Few of his buddies have come to ask for work.... We don't have or need them....

We pay a guy for all odd.jobs, maintenance, gardening, constructions around 10.000 per month and housing off premises plus meals from our kitchen.
9 to 5, Sundays off, sick leave etc.
Bonus before NY and Songkrahn.
Minimum pay is 300 thb per day, but will go up soon.

Giving him some more is a good wage for him. Some addittional with housing and food. He has his own insurance , Thai gold card. Few of his buddies have come to ask for work.... We don't have or need them....

-@martinoo2002

That's the same with us. We give bonuses as you described, at least one day off per week, and any personal time off that he needs for his own family issues. He has had to take as many as 3 to 4 weeks off a few times and we still paid him for the month.