EU nurse trying to move and wondering about the different visas

Hi all,

I'm a registered ICU and A&E nurse from Belgium and trying to relocate to Scotland. My registration with the NMC has been pending for 3 months now (as much as I'd want to put it on brexit, it's actually because of hazy Belgian beaurocracy).

Having been told it would only take a couple of weeks, one month tops, I moved here last February. I am now seriously considering going back to Belgium as my savings are melting rapidly. I would welcome any and all advice, recommendation or opinion on that.

It got me wondering if I could work in the tourism and/or hospitality field while waiting for the registration but unsure of the type of visa I would need (I cannot find the proper information on uk.gov) and if doing so would jeopardise my healthcare visa once I get the NMC registration. I've also been told I needed to be out of the UK to apply for any working visa.

Posting here is a bit of a last resort. I'll appriciate any help I can get.

Cheers,

Alice

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You could try starting off as a Health Care Assistant, you don't need NMC registration to do that.  My wife trained in the Netherlands and got her papers sorted before we moved here, but when she got here, she took one look at the NHS and decided that Acute medicine and the shift-work in the UK was probably not for her, so she got a job with the local doctors surgery as an HCA, she's done it ever since.  It pays a bit less, but the added bonus of no shifts/weekends more than makes up for it (so she says).

This link will take you to the NHS Scotland jobs website.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team