Balaton Prices are off the hook!

Checked out some prices at Balaton this season.

A simple Langos is going for 3,000!!!

Did not hit the lotto this week but if we had played 3 of my husbands regular numbers would of hit.

He could of won 2,800 forints.

Not enough for a langos however....

Insane, they are kicking out working class people and turning the place into a wealthy resort.

I suppose we are living in the past, my hubby remembers when a langos sold for one forint!

I can not even imagine the hotel rates there this season.

Checked out some prices at Balaton this season.A simple Langos is going for 3,000!!!Did not hit the lotto this week but if we had played 3 of my husbands regular numbers would of hit.He could of won 2,800 forints.Not enough for a langos however....Insane, they are kicking out working class people and turning the place into a wealthy resort.I suppose we are living in the past, my hubby remembers when a langos sold for one forint!I can not even imagine the hotel rates there this season.        -@Marilyn Tassy

That's crazy money for a langos.   Is it being served on a gold platter with caviar?!

We did the lotto this week too but we won nothing (as usual).  Really it's a kind of tax on hope.   Who gets the profit from Lotto anyway?

We're somewhat lucky in that Mrs F's grandfather had the unusual foresight to buy a house 50m from the shore of the lake.  It's amazingly convenient and has quite a large garden.  However, it's owned by so many people, no-one can agree on how to fix it up. Or no-one wants to put the money in and no-one wants to give up their share.  It's in a terrible state.  Sometimes I prefer to sleep in a tent in the garden even if my back suffers!  Personally, I'd like to knock it down and put another building up, even a shed or container type building.  The part owners see it as impossible to resolve and they  are simply buying their own houses.  And as the old guard who have part owned it for years have just bought other houses near Balaton and one or two have simply stopped going there.  As the old guard die off, the shares just get diluted because it passes to their kids some of whom are just plain awkward. 

@Marilyn Tassy

3000 sounds like a lot. But if you really crave for a Langos and have 1 or 2 during you holidays, it seems to be ok. The prices might also vary (?) depending on where you have your Langos. Balatonfüred seemed very expensive to me. Udvari was cheaper.

I guess we all have to live with rising prices and need to adjust accoring to our means.

@Marilyn Tassy
3000 sounds like a lot. But if you really crave for a Langos and have 1 or 2 during you holidays, it seems to be ok. The prices might also vary (?) depending on where you have your Langos. Balatonfüred seemed very expensive to me. Udvari was cheaper.
I guess we all have to live with rising prices and need to adjust accoring to our means.

-@TGCampo

IDK, paying 3,000 for some fried dough is not going to put me in the poor house but the principle of overcharging gets me.

We make our own langos at home once every couple of years.

Not something we eat often, probably can make dozens of them for 3,000 at home.

Not exactly light summer food anyways.

If everyone boycotted this over inflated prices they would either lower the prices or go out of business.

We are thinking SE Asia is more reasonable then Hungary is.

If we do go to Balaton, I usually pack a lunch for my husband and bring my own water bottle.

I no longer eat much and only do so at home for health reasons.

A langos for 3,000 would probably put me in the hospital, from digestion issues or a heart attack from paying that much.

Just joking, it is getting out of control, OVs son in law bought up about half of Balaton and he is abusing it by raising rents on vendors so high that they are forced to overcharge for nada.

We have an old friend at Lake Veince, who is involved in local businesses. He said most of those vendors there have a make it or break it season, bad weather for too many weekends can do them in.

On the other hand, most who run these food stalls get other people to do the dirty work and make such a large profit over the summer that they do not need to work the rest of the year.

@Marilyn Tassy

I guess you are right about all of this. However, I am surprised how many people are buying those overpriced food items or drinks. There must be lots of money around. Go to a beerfest in Gyor and pay 900 for a small beer. A coffee is 500 at least (at Lipoti Pekseg and not at a nice cafe). Still, many are willing to pay that.

IDK, paying 3,000 for some fried dough is not going to put me in the poor house but the principle of overcharging gets me.
We make our own langos at home once every couple of years.
Not something we eat often, probably can make dozens of them for 3,000 at home.
Not exactly light summer food anyways.
If everyone boycotted this over inflated prices they would either lower the prices or go out of business.
We are thinking SE Asia is more reasonable then Hungary is.
If we do go to Balaton, I usually pack a lunch for my husband and bring my own water bottle.
I no longer eat much and only do so at home for health reasons.
A langos for 3,000 would probably put me in the hospital, from digestion issues or a heart attack from paying that much.
Just joking, it is getting out of control, OVs son in law bought up about half of Balaton and he is abusing it by raising rents on vendors so high that they are forced to overcharge for nada.
We have an old friend at Lake Veince, who is involved in local businesses. He said most of those vendors there have a make it or break it season, bad weather for too many weekends can do them in.
On the other hand, most who run these food stalls get other people to do the dirty work and make such a large profit over the summer that they do not need to work the rest of the year.

-@Marilyn Tassy

We used to cycle to relatively high end restaurant and have lunch while at Balaton and on holiday.  We'd do that maybe 2 times a week.  We don't do that now. We make our own food and cook outside in the garden on a wood fire for that authentic experience.   We might now go to a restaurant once in the entire holiday period.  Cooking outside is surprisingly OK - nice smokey taste for goulash. Amazing the things one can make over an open fire.   

OV's son-in-law has indeed being buying up the entire place.  There's a research institute in Tihany who report on pollution levels there.  They have in the past said the lake is being over-developed and risks destruction of that entire special environment.  I doubt OV's SIL will own his interests for long if the government changes.  There's almost certainly going to be a large amount of retribution/revenge in the works for those kinds of people.  Rumours abound that OV has a bolthole in Dubai with several billions stashed.  Question is if he'll have enough time to get to the airport to take a private jet out of here.   

I think many people who are willing to pay 3,000 for a batch of fried dough, never worked hard for their dough!

Many are tourists who plan on spending a certain amount on holiday and do not really pay attention to what they get for their money.

I know in Italy we overpaid like crazy to eat out, knew at the time we were being scammed but we also did not speak Italian and were in the heart of the tourist traps.

I hope revenge will be sweet for those in power who did underhanded deals and took advantage of the funds that were suppose to help everyone but somehow found their way into the pockets of just a few.

I would love to cook a meal in the open flame, even just a simple HU style BBQ, a slab of bacon roasted over the fire with a slice of bread, a pepper or onion and some palinka to wash it all down with.

We used to do that in Ca back in the mid 70s with our HU friend up near the Hollywood Hills in the back yard.

Speaking of old friends from way back when...

In a couple of weeks time some old friends of my husbands, suppose mine as well, are going to Szeged for one of their 70th BDs.

Many are coming from Hawaii.

We are invited but I am not sure we are going or not.

I would not mind saying hello but hanging all night long drinking is not for me any longer.

In any case it would be weird seeing people we have not seen in some cases for 50 years and some cases over 30 years.

I am not very confidant that I would not shock them and they would shock me.

No longer the 19 year old S. Ca girl and my husband is no longer the young long haired surfer.

Age is no joke.

I am sure they would have an open air flame going and the palinka would be flowing.

In 1978 on our first trip to Hungary we could afford to eat at high end places every night if we wanted to.

My husband is something else, has his own strong principles about things.

At that time the only people who could afford those places were party members. My husband said he would chock on his meal if he sat in the company of those sorts.

Now the bill would chock us more then the company.

OV's son-in-law has indeed being buying up the entire place.  There's a research institute in Tihany who report on pollution levels there.  They have in the past said the lake is being over-developed and risks destruction of that entire special environment.  I doubt OV's SIL will own his interests for long if the government changes.  There's almost certainly going to be a large amount of retribution/revenge in the works for those kinds of people.  Rumours abound that OV has a bolthole in Dubai with several billions stashed.  Question is if he'll have enough time to get to the airport to take a private jet out of here.   
    -@fluffy2560

The daily minute of hate. 1f602.svg. Hungary is a good place for that, because in places like Portugal one can easily be dragged in front of a judge for making accusations like that.

OV's son-in-law has indeed being buying up the entire place.  There's a research institute in Tihany who report on pollution levels there.  They have in the past said the lake is being over-developed and risks destruction of that entire special environment.  I doubt OV's SIL will own his interests for long if the government changes.  There's almost certainly going to be a large amount of retribution/revenge in the works for those kinds of people.  Rumours abound that OV has a bolthole in Dubai with several billions stashed.  Question is if he'll have enough time to get to the airport to take a private jet out of here.       -@fluffy2560The daily minute of hate. 1f602.svg. Hungary is a good place for that, because in places like Portugal one can easily be dragged in front of a judge for making accusations like that.   

-@TGCampo

It's a common theme around here.    And so what?

Much of it is reported in the free press and even in reports of the EU.   

It's not like no-one talks about these things. 

It's a small country and people know each other.   Some of it is blatantly obvious.

If you lived here, instead of Portugal,  you'd know too.

I think not off topic, but on prices of Langos, I do not care too much (I do not like it too much anyhow). I preferred to go to a restaurant with good service and (STILL) not too expensive (of course for two including starter and drinks (cola for me (I am not allowed to drive with alcohol) and a Rose for my wife. In total (and from what I see) still around the same as two years ago (HUF 13 K)

I think not off topic, but on prices of Langos, I do not care too much (I do not like it too much anyhow). I preferred to go to a restaurant with good service and (STILL) not too expensive (of course for two including starter and drinks (cola for me (I am not allowed to drive with alcohol) and a Rose for my wife. In total (and from what I see) still around the same as two years ago (HUF 13 K)

-@cdw057

When on Balaton holidays, we sometimes cycle to Mustafa Kebabs in Siofok (it's by the harbour).   

Prices have crept up there.  It's always busy.  It's about 4000-4500 HUF for a main course. 

Lunch for 4 people with one round of drinks comes in around 50-55 EUR (~22K HUF).

Lunch for 4 people with one round of drinks comes in around 50-55 EUR (~22K HUF).

-@fluffy2560

That's not a bad price.

Lunch for 4 people with one round of drinks comes in around 50-55 EUR (~22K HUF).        -@fluffy2560That's not a bad price.        -@SimCityAT

That's for something like sit down table service for a beer and Turkish salad, kebab meat and chips/fries.

Compared to some other places it's quite good value. Prices are up. When we first tried it, a main was 2500 HUF but the HUF has devalued.

Oh, and it's easy to find a 10% off voucher around there. Lots of flyers around.

-@Marilyn Tassy

Yes overcharging bacame the default especially since the mid 2000's.

Not only at tourist frequented places/ stalls, but also in any event.

As for the second part. not always onderpaid workers do dirty jobs.

Very often grossly overpaid students do the easy ones.

We know someone who runs a restaurant down at Balaton.   

They say they cannot get any staff to work there.

It's long hours and not that well paid.

No students want to work there at all (apparently).  Richer and easier pickings elsewhere undoubtedly.

We know someone who runs a restaurant down at Balaton.   
They say they cannot get any staff to work there.

It's long hours and not that well paid.

No students want to work there at all (apparently).  Richer and easier pickings elsewhere undoubtedly.

-@fluffy2560

The hospitality industry has been hit hard everywhere, it is long hours and weekends. Students don't want to give that up. The world is facing new challenges.

@SimCityAT Some restaurants still have very reasonable prices, what I saw is in tourist destinations like Heviz prices were going up massively, but outside it can still be very reasonable (and important good quality)