Exchange Rate MUR - GBP

Can anyone advise a secure way to transfer quite a large sum from Mauritius to the UK without using banks due to high fees?

I am in London and could arrange a secure exchange through a solicitor or another trusted method.

Note my money is now in an MCB bank account and i need to transfer it to HSBC UK.

@vichall not sure if you resolved this. Is it possible, and cheaper, to wire money from your MUR account to a WISE account or XE.com and do the transfer from there?

Strangely Wise don't handle MUR, or at least they didn't a couple of months ago. They are hoping to include it in the future.

Latest from the bank. There are  "restriction" to send money abroad due to lack of foreign currency in Mauritius. I was told the max amount I can transfer  via electronic transfer is £2000 even if my limit say I can transfer up to £10000

@vichall This is alarming and suggests there is unofficial exchange control. That would impact me severely.

I wonder if this applies if you hold your money in a USD account?

I have just written to my banker at Afraisia Bank to see if they are aware, or have any restrictions on funds transfer outside the country. I would hope to have a response later today.

@SafferCA I think it only applies when transferring Mauritius rupee into another currency GBP or USD

AfrAsia band have responded with the following comment regarding possible 'exchange control':

"We do not hold any information/communique validating the contents stated in your email below."

My email was just contained details of the earlier post:

"Latest from the bank. There are  "restriction" to send money abroad due to lack of foreign currency in Mauritius. I was told the max amount I can transfer  via electronic transfer is £2000 even if my limit say I can transfer up to £10000"