Buying property in Morocco

Thought I had found the perfect apartment but owner wanted part-payment under table.  I can understand owner not being fan of 20% tax for resale within 5 years but couldn't see any benefit for me - declared purchase price wouldn't reflect amount I paid, if I need to sell up and move country I would have to pay tax on the spread which wouldn't reflect higher amount actually paid, including 20% if resale within 5 years.

I would also need to show paper trail for purchase to take proceeds out of the country but convertible dh account would only show the declared purchase price as the amount paid. 

Any thoughts as to possible benefits for expats on such a deal?! 

Have walked away but only after major headache including seduction attempts by owner's agent in attempt to get me to agree to part payment in the black!

@seahorses Do not do it.

Oh, wow! That makes me worried.

I agree about not doing that. My brother is a real estate investor in the states but my mom used to own a property and sold it to my sister for really cheap to help her get started and my sister turned around and sold it for a large profit which in turn hurt my mom because she had to pay capital taxes on it.

I say keep everything above board when it comes to large purchases especially if you're a foreigner.

@seahorses Although this is not an uncommon practice in Morocco (right or wrong!) if you're not comfortable and the concern is getting you cash out of Morocco post-resale then walk away.

Beat of luck!

Exchange office rules permit to all foreign investment in Morocco to get back their investsment and profit to their home country after paying tax. It's called convertibility scheme. TPI Tax is profit tax that you have to pay on the profit you made on the flat. Generally it"s equal to 10% of the profit you made not on the hole flat amount. Real Estate in Morocco is actually doing great and getting up as numbers of big events are planned in the near future. Before buying any property i advise to do due dilligence on the ownership title, tax quitus etc..