Menu
Expat.com

PLEASE HELP! Vietnam visa question

Last activity 25 June 2024 by ajairon

spacegirlmelissa

Hello!

I am delighted to find this forum and the wealth of information.

Hopefully someone has it in their kind heart to take a moment to help me. <3

My flight arrives in Vietnam at 10pm on July 4, 2024. I leave Vietnam at 7:55am on Aug 3rd. I had the intention that I was staying within the 30 days. However, the form is defaulting to making my exit date Aug 2. I am very anxious as I had no intention to create an error and overstay my welcome. What should I do?

Thank you so incredibly much for your kindness in helping if you are able.

Melissa

def1412

I have had this issue before.  As you go through the form it sometimes will change dates on its own.   Select 90 day, Use a day counter app to make sure of your entry exit dates being 90 day spread.   https://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

That should solve the problem.  Remember you can enter after the entry date on your visa, but must leave on or before the exit date.

Good luck

OceanBeach92107

Hello!
I am delighted to find this forum and the wealth of information.
Hopefully someone has it in their kind heart to take a moment to help me. <3
My flight arrives in Vietnam at 10pm on July 4, 2024. I leave Vietnam at 7:55am on Aug 3rd. I had the intention that I was staying within the 30 days. However, the form is defaulting to making my exit date Aug 2. I am very anxious as I had no intention to create an error and overstay my welcome. What should I do?

Thank you so incredibly much for your kindness in helping if you are able.
Melissa

-@spacegirlmelissa

Excellent reply from "Def" pretty much says it all.

The 90 day visa is a better "insurance" option, in case you need to extend your stay for unforeseen or emergency circumstances.

Also, double check your arrival date.

It's not uncommon for people to use the date of departure as the actual date of arrival, when the dates change as you cross the international date line (I know that sounds like mansplaining and I definitely apologize 🙏).

So just in case you are departing on the 4th, you would almost certainly be arriving on the 5th and then there'd be no problem.

(added information for casual readers who may have a similar problem in the future).

Good luck with your travel and visa plans!

O.B.

Aidan in HCMC

Hello!I am delighted to find this forum and the wealth of information.Hopefully someone has it in their kind heart to take a moment to help me. <3My flight arrives in Vietnam at 10pm on July 4, 2024. I leave Vietnam at 7:55am on Aug 3rd. I had the intention that I was staying within the 30 days. However, the form is defaulting to making my exit date Aug 2. I am very anxious as I had no intention to create an error and overstay my welcome. What should I do?Thank you so incredibly much for your kindness in helping if you are able.Melissa        -@spacegirlmelissa

Excellent replies to your question already. I'm assuming that you've not already received your approved eVisa. Is this correct?

If so, may I suggest inputting in the window

Grant Evisa valid from

(DD/MM/YYYY) *

the date of 03/07/2024 (allowing entry 1 day earlier if required/desired.see member OceanBeach92107's post, above)

and for the

To

(DD/MM/YYYY) *

the date of 30/09/2024 (in the event of unseen circumstances preventing exit on Aug 3rd)

This will be counted as 90 days by VN immigration. A physical calendar count will show it as 89 days, the discrepancy resulting from immigration counting the day of arrival as "day 1". This explains your form defaulting to Aug 2nd as being 30 days from July 4th (i.e. July4th = day 1).

As succinctly stated by member def1412 ...

Remember you can enter after the entry date on your visa, but must leave on or before the exit date.

(emphasis mine)

Worth mentioning is that there is no penalty for arriving after the "Valid from" date of your eVisa, nor for exiting sooner.

The cost for a 90 day eVisa does not change/reduce even if a shorter stay is intended.

(up to a) 90 day single entry eVisa - $25USD

(up to a) 90 day multiple entry eVisa - $50USD

spacegirlmelissa

I want to sincerely thank all of you for taking the time to write me these responses. The peace it immediately brought my heart was enormous.

I found the error and have submitted my e-visa with the dates being correct - and even a few days more as suggested.

FOR ANYONE ELSE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM:

The dates are populated for you by the form through other answers you say in "how many days will you be in Vietnam" and the "entry date"!!  I kept reading that people were sure they had put the correct dates into the visa start and end dates but they ended up being wrong on the evisa!  This is why!  It gets populated by the responses to those two other questions.

I have just submitted my e-visa, happily, as it was exactly how I wanted it to be. Thank you again to all of you for helping. You are each a sparkle of magic in my life and I appreciate you all so much. I hope karma brings you happiness back tenfold!!

xxx

Melissa

ptic24

Xin chào @spacegirlmelissa

Thank you for sharing, you write very detailed,

And congratulations on solving your problem

You should share how you write, filling in the exact date

so that everyone can refer to it so that next time there will be no mistakes in writing,

Sincerely thank you

@Cuong

ajairon

@spacegirlmelissa  sorry about your mistake...  fortunately you could cross the exit before Aug 02, 23h59 and wait for your flight in the gate

OceanBeach92107

@spacegirlmelissa  sorry about your mistake...  fortunately you could cross the exit before Aug 02, 23h59 and wait for your flight in the gate

-@ajairon

Brilliant idea! 😎👍

You don't have to get on your flight before visa expiration.

Just complete "exiting" Vietnam through the immigration checkpoint.

MarkinNam

@def1412, I f she applies for 90 day visa where does she stand on payment ?

MarkinNam

@spacegirlmelissa, Hi Melissa, when you entered the arrival date, did you by accident enter your departure from home date ?

ajairon

@MarkinNam A common mistake occurs by not considering that the dates are counted by days, having months ending in 28, 29, 30 or 31. Another misunderstanding is that the Vietnamese count the days from the starting day, not after completing a day.

For instance:  from 2024-02-29 to 2024-03-31 = 32 days

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

All of Vietnam's guide articles