Menu
Expat.com

Nha Trang and Da Lat

Last activity 05 July 2024 by snake77

Malcolmleitrim

Hello everyone,

I am planning my winter trip to Vietnam and I will stay mostly in and around Hanoi as I usually do. However I want to spend Christmas and the New year period further south and was thinking of a couple of weeks in the Na Trang and Da Lat area.

I have visited both cities briefly in the past but not sure how much they may have changed in the last five years, or how long I should spend in each.

Any advice or alternative suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

snake77

Expect Dalat to be packed to the max with Viets during those times, therefore, prices will be higher than usual.

Nha Trang, according to most recent news, is rather quiet compated to pre COVID times. It is claimed to be mainly blamed on the currently high priced airfair rates. Statistics show a decrease of around 60% less ticket sales regarding visitors from Hanoi. Therefore, one might be able to conclude, that it could be less crowded and better priced compared to historic numbers.

However, expect rather rainy, cooler days during December in both places. NT usually is nice and warm again from Jan onwards.

Personally, living in Saigon, if I stay put around that time, I quite enjoy a short few days down in Vung Tau.

Malcolmleitrim

Expect Dalat to be packed to the max with Viets during those times, therefore, prices will be higher than usual.
Nha Trang, according to most recent news, is rather quiet compated to pre COVID times. It is claimed to be mainly blamed on the currently high priced airfair rates. Statistics show a decrease of around 60% less ticket sales regarding visitors from Hanoi. Therefore, one might be able to conclude, that it could be less crowded and better priced compared to historic numbers.

However, expect rather rainy, cooler days during December in both places. NT usually is nice and warm again from Jan onwards.

Personally, living in Saigon, if I stay put around that time, I quite enjoy a short few days down in Vung Tau.

-@snake77

Thank you,

I may go to Vung Tau as well, I have visited there twice before and quite liked it.

snake77

@Malcolmleitrim

In my opinion, VT 20-30yrs ago was a huge mess and horrible beach cover with rubbish and they used the tide to clean it all away.

Then, during the oil & gas boom years, it went from garbage dump to Las Vegas. Once that boom came to and end, lot's of venues or other establishments and businesses related to the off-shore oil & gas industry started to dry up and one by one closed down. Yet, until COVID struck, especially what we here call the real lockdown, it remained quite active and I in fact like it more during that quiet period, compared to the boom times.

However, COVID had a massive impact and sadly, several of the popular places, like the Off-Shore Bar&Hotel(s), didn't have the resources to overcome.

Now, the way I would explain it, VT has seen its latest transormation, like a new, re-discovered weekend destination for the Viets from Saigon, as well as Dong Nai and Binh Duong.

I think it's due to a combination of sevetal factors. For one, the beach roads and much of the city has been built, looking nearly like Nha Trang. Secondly, with more and more people driving cars and far better roads, allowing to reach VT within under 2hrs, it's the perfect place to escape the city and reach the beach.

Plus, it has everything the locals expect and love to enjoy.

That said, it might be better to avoid VT during National Holidays, as well as from or after around the second day of Tet....

We often head down there with bike or car, and you can either drive the main route via Long Thanh/Ba Ria, or via D.7 and down the rung sat road and take the ferry from Can Gio over to VT.

Just in case...

Cheers

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles