UNPAID LOAN $4K 9YRS AGO

Hi can anyone pls enlighten me, i am currently applying for PR in Canada and i need to get COC in Singapore, However i have a $4k unpaid loan in DBS, my question is will it reflect on my COC if ill get one? Please help me

I have been out of the country since 2015. I want to know if does it affects or reflects on my COC? I am about to apply this month. Please can someone answer me. Thank you in advance

A CoC is a documentation of your criminal convictions in Singapore.

If your loan was in arrears and then paid by mutual agreement between you and the bank, there will be no effect on or mention of the issue in a CoC - even if payment in installments is still ongoing.

If, however, you did not cooperate and the bank sued you (perhabs without your knowledge while you were already out of the country), there might well be a conviction or at least an arrest warant to force your appearance in court (which would be carried out the next time you enter the country). This will of course be shown in the CoC.

So, if you haven't done so yet, contact the bank, ask for the status and repay the loan ASAP!

@beppi i never receive any email from the bank. I only received email from debt collector i think but that was a long time ago. They just want me to contact them nothing else mentioned about my unpaid loan so i don't  have any idea now if they're still looking for me to pay the loan. I want to apply my coc this month and see if its clear or not. My loan is only $4k so i dont know whether they will still sue me or not since its not a big amount.

@Boynkie19 So you did not replyor cooperate, just disappear? That, of course, was the worst possible course of action - and now you have to live the consequences.

It is very unlikely that a bank writes off such an amount (S$4000) without prior legal action. You should contact them immediately and clear the matter!

(And for the future: It is better not to spend more than you have - but if you do, you should at least be honest and fair!)

So you mean, its possible that there will mention it to my coc? Yes i have learned a lot from my past mistakes.

What a question: If they sued you and you are classified as a loan defaulter (or even worse, were declared bancrupt in absentia), this will of course affect your police record.

And justly so, if I interpret your dancing around the topic correctly as: The matter is still not cleared with the bank.

Now it's time to live up for your past mistakes: Contact the bank, pay back your debt in full (incl. interest, which is likely a large amount) and ask for their forgiveness, BEFORE you apply for that CoC!

If the bank declines to forgive the legal part, you may have to either engage a lawyer or cut all contact with Singapore forever (incl. that CoC).

@beppi i know i completely understand your point, that is why im trying to contact them now and settle what needs to be settle. Thanks anyway!