Menu
Expat.com

Building Inspectors Around Fafe

Last activity 24 July 2024 by tdudgeon

tdudgeon

Hello Everyone,

We are recent transplants from the US.  We are currently living in Povoa de Varzim in an apartment, and have found the house we would like to purchase in Fafe (about 20 minutes away from Guimares).

The real estate market is very different from the US. The owner of this property does not seem to object to our need to do an inspection prior to signing the promissory note, but the inspector who was recommended by the RE agent is not available until sometime next month due to a birth in the family.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an inspector who is in this area or willing to do an inspection in this area? Supposedly we are waiting for a recommendation from the one unable to do it, but I fear we are in danger of losing this house if we wait much longer, and I am not in a position to back out of a contract and lose my deposit if they find some significant flaw in the course of the inspection. Honestly, I am surprised that finding a large, undisclosed flaw does not seem to be an acceptable reason to negate a promissory note.

Trying to get on board with the way things are done here, but not willing to risk 10 percent of my hard earned savings because "that is the way things are done".

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Strontium

Hi and welcome.

This is Portugal so you'd expect things not to be done like in the USofA.

An "undisclosed flaw" would probably not be discovered during an survey and your survey report will have a clause like "we cannot be responsible for any flaws we cannot see without removing the floor boards, wall coverings, making holes in the ceilings etc".

Personally I'd NEVER use someone recommended by an Estate Agent involved.

Did your legal advisor explain the Promissory and that YOU have an input to it, thus can make legal binding clauses for the vendor?

JohnnyPT

@tdudgeon,

What I suggest is that in your promissory purchase agreement (contrato de promessa de compra e venda), you safeguard yourself with clauses stating that if anything is found to be inaccurate, it will either be corrected by the owner (before the deed) or the agreement will be cancelled and you will be compensated for the advance payment.

janicecallant

@tdudgeon

Personally I recommend highly that you be patient and find a reputable and qualified inspector. We are also American and have multiple real estate investments here in the USA.

We bought a home in the Algarve annd it was annd still is an endless journey. The realtor of the seller always, always, always says there is another buyer and then tries to up the price. Buying and selling real estate in Portugal is a whole different game.

You could ask your attorney to recommend one. I am part of a group which is involved in property management and investment. I would suggest you join it. 

https://chat.whatsapp.com/JXiY6V3NfDzK92oKPjOtLr

Strontium

@tdudgeon
Personally I recommend highly that you be patient and find a reputable and qualified inspector. We are also American and have multiple real estate investments here in the USA.
We bought a home in the Algarve annd it was annd still is an endless journey. The realtor of the seller always, always, always says there is another buyer and then tries to up the price. Buying and selling real estate in Portugal is a whole different game.

You could ask your attorney to recommend one. I am part of a group which is involved in property management and investment. I would suggest you join it. 
https://chat.whatsapp.com/JXiY6V3NfDzK92oKPjOtLr-@janicecallant

This is Portugal -  Please explain who/what is an "reputable and qualified inspector" and how would you recommend anyone finds them?

This is not the USofA so what is the relivance of your boast of multiple property investments in the USofA ?

In Portugal have never been told there is another prospective buyer offering more in any of the offers to buy property I have made here.

JohnnyPT

I agree with @Strontium. There is no such thing as a "qualified inspector". You can ask several professionals from different areas (electrician, plumber, builder, ...) to check what's there. But there's no one to certify everything and give you a guarantee.

There's also no such concept as auction-type offers for a house. It's almost always the case that the house is bought for an amount equal to or less than the buyer's asking price...

tdudgeon

Thank you all for the advice.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Portugal

• Buying property in Portugal
    Buying property in Portugal

If you've lived in Portugal for a while and plan to build a future in this country, you may want to explore ...

• Buying property in Porto
    Buying property in Porto

In the last decade, Portugal has become an important destination for culture and investment in Southern Europe. ...

• Accommodation in Lisbon
    Accommodation in Lisbon

With a thriving expat community, a rising yet still manageable cost of living (for Western standards) and a ...

• Accommodation in Porto
    Accommodation in Porto

Considered Portugal's second-largest city, after the capital of Lisbon, Porto is home to over 230.000 people ...

• Accommodation in Portugal
    Accommodation in Portugal

As you are planning your move to Portugal, one of the key things that you will need to decide is where you are ...

• Renting options in Porto
    Renting options in Porto

Over the past few years, rent prices in Porto have been soaring. As the city's popularity grows among tourists ...

• Neighbourhoods in Porto
    Neighbourhoods in Porto

Most people visiting Porto for the first time spend most of their time exploring the downtown, and the same thing ...

• Buying property in Lisbon
    Buying property in Lisbon

So, you are finally in Lisbon! You have a flat, a job and your life is moving forward quickly. Well done! But if ...

All of Portugal's guide articles