Retired Gay American Expats in Spain?

Hello,

I'm researching places to emigrate to in Spain, maybe Portugal in the coming year. We are a retired gay male couple in California, and would like to hear from similar folks who have found comfortable places in Spain for their new homes. It's a big move to consider, and would like to live in a way that's not too very radically different than California, if possible. We've been to Barcelona (too big/busy for us) and Valencia (very comfortable size/nice) and I speak a fair amount of Spanish being from Florida myself. Any positive input is appreciated.

Cheers,

Rick

@RickyP3

Rick,

We live in Palm Springs and plan to move to Spain next year. We have a trip scheduled in November to Valencia and Malaga, as those are our top choices right now. We were in Barcelona and found it too touristy. We should keep in touch.

PJ

@RickyP3

There are many comfortable/nice (smaller) cities in Spain that you could consider, and plenty of desirable Costas. Not just Valencia, but Marbella/Malaga, Zaragoza, Tarragona, Murcia, Seville, Bilboa, San Sebastian, Alicante, Granada, Mallorca/Ibiza.

There are also lots of popular towns just outside the big cities which offer a very comfortable lifestyle with easy access to big city amenities. This could widen your search even further. For example (as I once lived in the area), Cambrils (south of Tarragona) and Sitges and Blanes/Lloret de Mar (near Barcelona).

We're currently living in Elche, which is next door to Alicante (and Alicante-Elche Airport). Alicante is a lovely city with some very upscale districts such as Playa San Juan. It's hard to go wrong with Alicante or anywhere on the Costa Blanca. UNESCO-listed (for its palm groves) Elche is smaller and more traditional than its neighbour, but it has a very pretty downtown and a beautiful riverside walk (along the Rio Vinalopo). We have the airport and great beaches 20 minutes away, and all city amenities - but we paid a fraction of the price of a downtown Alicante apartment.

Thanks for these responses! They are very helpful and I look forward to hearing more on moving to Spain.

@gwynj

Thanks for your response - great in-depth info. Alicante keeps showing up for real estate research. The prices there seem quite reasonable for new builds, so hearing of even better price options nearby is very intriguing. Although we would just rent first if we end up moving to Spain.

@gapshelpers25

Thanks PJ, please see my message.

@RickyP3 Hi Rick.  My husband and I have made the move to Spain.  Message me*** LOTS of things to consider, this move is not for the faint of heart.  Social media makes it seem like "everybody's doing it and it's all fun"...but as we all know social media doesn't represent reality.

Moderated by Cheryl 3 weeks ago
Reason : Contact details
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@RickyP3 My wife ans I are a retired straight couple from NJ. last August we visited Barcelona and had the same reaction as you. so a few months later I read a really positive article about Valencia. i did a search for propErty not realizing that Valencia is a state in Spain. A property in Daimuz, a small tiwn  near the city of Gandia. we saw a house we loved, made an offer and close on 12-9. Gandia is about an hour south of Valencia and an hour north of Alicante. it's right along 140 miles of Mediterranean beaches. The realtor is Vanessa. Website is Hello2Spain.