Declaration of Temporary Residence Address Post Arrival in Vietnam

Is this required/practiced? I read everywhere that the hotel/landlord is supposed to register the foreigner but no one i know who has been to Vietnam has registered?

Is this required/practiced? I read everywhere that the hotel/landlord is supposed to register the foreigner but no one i know who has been to Vietnam has registered?

-@sd1305

They don't announce the registration which is required within 24 hours of your arrival.

They do it directly with the local police.

Unfortunately, there are some landlords who attempt to avoid this legal requirement, usually because they don't want to have to declare the taxable income.

Well-informed expats have learned to insist on the registration being done and a notarized copy of government form NA17 being provided and kept with their passport:

screenshot_20240725_124043_docs189903028331228033.jpg

It's both a registration form as well as an official sponsorship declaration and should be filled out by all legal commercial lodging facilities as well as private citizens hosting foreigners, such as family from overseas

https://www.vietnam-visa.com/temporary- … n-vietnam/

I helped my landlord to register for an online account (with her providing all necessary information).  Landlord will need to take note of the login/password information.

Every time I visit Vietnam, I make sure after she is logged on, I complete my stay information correctly in the online portal.  I have not had a problem with reentering/exiting Vietnam so far.

The landlord can register themselves through immigration's official web portal, here.

Landlord selects "TEMPORARY RESIDENCE REGISTRATION", and is directed here. No need for paper submission, as registration of the foreigner can (should?) now be done online by the landlord.

edit....

The landlord can register themselves through immigration's official web portal, here.

Landlord selects "TEMPORARY RESIDENCE REGISTRATION", and is directed here. No need for paper submission, as registration of the foreigner can (should?) now be done online by the landlord.

It is solely the responsibility of the host/hotel/landlord/property-mngr etc to

"DECLARE TEMPORARY RESIDENCE FOR FOREIGNERS".

The foreigner is obliged to provide to the host/hotel/landlord/property-mngr etc a copy of their passport and a copy of their visa permitting their presence in VN. Their residency will then be registered by the party/person responsible for the temporary residence's management.

Hopefully not too off topic but this has me wondering now that my wife and I are about to move into a new home we now own in a month or so. Do I have to register myself in my own home? Does my wife have to register me?

Hopefully not too off topic but this has me wondering now that my wife and I are about to move into a new home we now own in a month or so. Do I have to register myself in my own home? Does my wife have to register me?         -@jrharvey

Technically your wife should register you, because she is the sponsor.

The local committee person in your new neighborhood can help direct her to the appropriate police station.

She will also need to register her new address at the same time

@OceanBeach92107

Agree on the VN spouse being the sponsor.

Both the sponsorship and the temp residence registration can now be done online.

No need to deal with the gendarme.

@OceanBeach92107
Agree on the VN spouse being the sponsor.
Both the sponsorship and the temp residence registration can now be done online.
No need to deal with the gendarme.

-@Aidan in HCMC

That link only took me to the place where a "host" can do the registration online.

I would be delighted to see a situation where a foreigner was able to go online and register their own official account with the government for this purpose and then successfully register their own temporary residence.

@OceanBeach92107Agree on the VN spouse being the sponsor. Both the sponsorship and the temp residence registration can now be done online. No need to deal with the gendarme.         -@Aidan in HCMC
That link only took me to the place where a "host" can do the registration online. I would be delighted to see a situation where a foreigner was able to go online and register their own official account with the government for this purpose and then successfully register their own temporary residence.        -@OceanBeach92107

I don't believe that a foreigner can do either.

I should have written, "Both the sponsorship and the temp residence registration can now be done online by a VN citizen (in this instance, member jrharvey's wife) ". Apologies for that.

Thank you both. The online portal seems like a good step. I know the old way of having to go down to the police station always ended up costing extra coffee money so anything they can add online and straight forward helps.

My wife owns the house in Vn next to my In-Laws' house. She is dual citizen; Canadian and Vietnamese. We live full time in Canada. Normally, when we are in Canada, my grandfather-in-law and his PSW stay in the house.

However, when we visit Vietnam (very soon) we live there. Does she have to register me? And what about herself?