First trip to Vietnam 8/24

I plan to go to Vietnam in the next few weeks.

The long and short of it is- I have never been to an Asian country and I am not worried but as a novice

I feel less confident than when I have traveled in other places due to language and culture.

I first considered doing volunteer work in an Asian country, which I have done in other places and I consequently offered to help a few people with English lessons and one of those people really impressed me as most students in the past are only mildly show much effort.  Anyway as the reader might imagine her and I found a connection beyond English as she is also very active in her Church, which is another connecting point for us.

So she would be my reason for going at this moment.

I am keenly aware of scammers and disingenuous intentions and she has zero yellow flags but rather is a remarkably warm, sincere and funny person, so why not?

I dont for see any  problem but to not have even a phone number of someone to call if I get hung-up is a little concerning.  I hope to get a 90day visa but maybe stay for a few weeks and just see how it goes.

Q: I will arrive in HCM can anyone recommend a hotel area I should consider? Usually I use Booking com when abroad and I can see the area the hotel is at but I have no idea what (if any) areas to avoid or might be more practical.

@Dannyroc3

Dear Danny,

As a Vietnamese, i got many concerns from foreigners as you mentioned. I understand this come from social media and culture.

But i think you are mature enough to know who is good/ bad. sometimes giving and receiving is not equal. be open mind, chilling to enjoy your time here

About hotel, there are plenty hotel depends on your budget, but suggest to stay in District 1 first,  just check review before.

@Dannyroc3

It will be the first time in HCMC, so I think you can stay in District 1 - the heart of Saigon where has many tourist destinations (Notre-Dame Cathedral, Independence Palace, Saigon Central Post Office, Ben Thanh Market, Bui Vien walking street, Nguyen Hue boulevard...) near Remnant Museum- District 3, Landmark 81 - Binh Thanh District

There are so many bars, pubs for foreign tourists on Bui Vien street District 1, so it's too noisy at night. If you book a hotel on Bui Vien street, maybe you can't sleep well.

You can book a hotel on Pham Ngu Lao street, near by Bui Vien street, it is not noisy, and just take 5 minutes to walk to Bui Vien street, De Tham Street. And take 5 minutes to take a taxi to above destinations.

If room price is not a problem to you, you can book 4-5 stars hotels like Sofitel Hotel on Le Duan street (near by U.S. Consulate General), Rex Hotel on Nguyen Hue boulevard, Renaissance Riverside Saigon Hotel on Ton Duc Thang street, Hotel Continental Saigon on Dong Khoi Street, Hotel Majestic Saigon on Dong Khoi Street... They have good city views, and good services.

No need worry about language in Saigon, especially in District 1.

You can go to a travel agent on De Tham street to book a half day city tour (250.000 vnd), a half day Cu Chi tunnel tour (300.000 vnd), or one day Mekong tour (500.000-700.000vnd) with English speaking tour guide.

If you need health care, you can stay in District 5 - the district of the good hospitals, China town, and traditional markets. August when Mid-autumn festival is coming, you can visit Luong Nhu Hoc street - the lantern street. Luong Nhu Hoc street, Hai Thuong Lan Ong street are herbal streets either. It's take 15 minutes from District 5 to District 1 by taxi.

Or you can consider Phu My Hung area - Korean Town in District 7. It's cleaner, safer. It's take 20 minutes from District 7 to District 1 by taxi. But If I were you, I would choose District 1.

I hope you will have a safe happy trip.

If I was coming to Vietnam to hang out at expat bars I would consider District 1.  I'd also consider District 1 for a few days while I found my feet and looked for a more suitable area.

What District is your friend in?   Takes quite a while to commute in Vietnam, I'd want to be not too far away.

I've not stayed in District 2 but I've stayed with longer rentals in District 3 and District 6.  Both are a step up from District 1 IMO.  Good luck.

@KKK36 Thanks for your suggestions. No I am not really a drinker. While I might walk around a bit to see nightlife I would not be doing the bar scene.

It sounds like district one is a go-to place. 

So I have a general visa question -

If two people are married and want to travel to a third or unrelated country.

US citizens can travel to Europe with no visa, would the wife whose country does not have that pass, is she required to get a visa alone?

So I have a general visa question -
If two people are married and want to travel to a third or unrelated country.
US citizens can travel to Europe with no visa, would the wife whose country does not have that pass, is she required to get a visa alone?
        -@Dannyroc3

Using VN as that third country, then yes, the spouse would require their own visa to visit.

For example, a Cambodian citizen can travel to VN visa-exempt, while their spouse (travelling with a passport from a non-exempt country) would require their own visa. The only people who can travel to VN under another person's visa are the children (under 14 years of age) of that visa-holder.

So my Visa went through. I wasnt sure if I would get 90 days, but I did.

Should be arriving on the week of the twelfth and I will take the advice and get a place in District 1.

I have someone (that I mentioned) meeting me at the airport, we will stay in HCM and then go to Long Kang (kong.)  Doesnt look like there is much there and it might get boring, I will roll with it.

IS there any reason to bring more than a windbreaker jacket rather than something heavier? I can only bring a carry-on so I will be going light, which is my style anyway.

When I was looking over my flight, it appears Qatar Airlines does allow checked baggage included with the economy ticket. But my first leg will be operated by Amertican Airlines, I don't know if they will allow more than a carry-on bag. 

I thought when I picked the flight it showed only a carry-on that's why I am questioning it. Might be nice to have a smaller backpack also to use in VN.

Has anyone had a case where the first operating flight had a different baggage rule than the booking airline, in this case, Qatar.?

I have someone (that I mentioned) meeting me at the airport, we will stay in HCM and then go to Long Kang (kong.)  Doesnt look like there is much there and it might get boring, I will roll with it.
   -@Dannyroc3

Congrats on your visa. Hopefully you'll have a great experience here.

I don't mean to "tell you what to do", but so far, you've painted an oft-duplicated scenario:

1. Guy makes plans to visit Vietnam and doesn't know anyone here.

2. Guy meets a really nice & sweet Vietnamese woman online.

3. Guy & Vietnamese woman make plans for her to meet him when he arrives and then stay together; even traveling together, usually to her home town.

We end up hearing the stories here in the forum when the guy eventually parts company with the Vietnamese woman.

It turns out that the woman and her family assumed that he wants to marry the woman since he stayed with her in the same hotel room and traveled together.

The guy can't understand where they got that idea while the woman and her family tell the sad story of another foreign "snake" who took advantage of a sweet & trusting woman.

Hopefully you can tell I'm not trying to evaluate your situation and I really do wish the best for you and her.

My only recommendation is that you be brutally honest with her up front, before you stay with her somewhere.

If marriage isn't a possibility then please be honest about that.

This is just an attempt to save her a broken heart and save you a potentially messy situation.

Enjoy yourself!

I don't mean to "tell you what to do", but so far, you've painted an oft-duplicated scenario:

3. Guy & Vietnamese woman make plans for her to meet him when he arrives and then stay together; even traveling together, usually to her home town.

We end up hearing the stories here in the forum when the guy eventually parts company with the Vietnamese woman.

It turns out that the woman and her family assumed that he wants to marry the woman since he stayed with her in the same hotel room and traveled together.

The guy can't understand where they got that idea while the woman and her family tell the sad story of another foreign "snake" who took advantage of a sweet & trusting woman.

Hopefully you can tell I'm not trying to evaluate your situation and I really do wish the best for you and her.

My only recommendation is that you be brutally honest with her up front, before you stay with her somewhere.

This is just an attempt to save her a broken heart and save you a potentially messy situation.

Enjoy yourself!

This is really very important advice. The concept of dating for fun or getting to know someone seems largely absent in VN. Even just having a cup of coffee or a bowl of noodles together can be considered a prelude to marriage. Or, you may be involved in what seems to be a mundane normal conversation when suddenly questions like "Are you married?; Have you ever been married?; Do you have kids?; Do you like kids?; Do you want to have kids?” start popping out.

It's great if you want to get married asap, but it's pretty annoying otherwise. Anywayz, it's a huge area for potential cultural misunderstandings with two vastly different sets of expectations, so yes, all male visitors need to be extremely cautious in order to avoid any hard feelings.

When I was looking over my flight, it appears Qatar Airlines does allow checked baggage included with the economy ticket. But my first leg will be operated by Amertican Airlines, I don't know if they will allow more than a carry-on bag. 
I thought when I picked the flight it showed only a carry-on that's why I am questioning it. Might be nice to have a smaller backpack also to use in VN.
Has anyone had a case where the first operating flight had a different baggage rule than the booking airline, in this case, Qatar.?

-@Dannyroc3

1.From May to October, Southern enters rainy season. Outside temperature is 32-35°C. Instead of windbreaker jacket, I think you should bring raincoat and anti-mosquito lotion 1f601.svg. (Just kidding, you can buy them in Vietnam, but if your skin is sensitive, buy the one which made in USA for sensitive skin)

I'm not sure you mean "Long An" province (Mekong Delta region), or "Long Khanh" (Dong Nai province). But  I think you need anti- mosquito lotion, especially in Mekong Delta region.

2.    Both American Airlines and Qatar allow carry-on bag 7kg. You can bring 2 bags. Ex: 1 bag + 1 laptop, or 2 bags with total weight not over 7kg.

I have someone (that I mentioned) meeting me at the airport, we will stay in HCM and then go to Long Kang (kong.)  Doesnt look like there is much there and it might get boring, I will roll with it.   -@Dannyroc3

Enjoy yourself!

-@OceanBeach92107

Thanks for this sincere advice.

I am a marriage-minded person, though I am cautious about making big decisions.  I will think about how to raise the topic of expectations.

When I was looking over my flight, it appears Qatar Airlines does allow checked baggage included with the economy ticket. But my first leg will be operated by Amertican Airlines, I don't know if they will allow more than a carry-on bag.  I thought when I picked the flight it showed only a carry-on that's why I am questioning it. Might be nice to have a smaller backpack also to use in VN. Has anyone had a case where the first operating flight had a different baggage rule than the booking airline, in this case, Qatar.?        -@Dannyroc3

1.From May to October, Southern enters rainy season. Outside temperature is 32-35°C. Instead of windbreaker jacket, I think you should bring raincoat and anti-mosquito lotion 1f601.svg. (Just kidding, you can buy them in Vietnam, but if your skin is sensitive, buy the one which made in USA for sensitive skin)
I'm not sure you mean "Long An" province (Mekong Delta region), or "Long Khanh" (Dong Nai province). But  I think you need anti- mosquito lotion, especially in Mekong Delta region.

2.    Both American Airlines and Qatar allow carry-on bag 7kg. You can bring 2 bags. Ex: 1 bag + 1 laptop, or 2 bags with total weight not over 7kg.

-@nhi0768125

So I am a little confused.  Yes my first flight is American, would I be able to bring the normal carry-on bag that often barely fits in the overhead and a smaller back pack or computer bag or purse? 

Of course my former question was -If Qatar Air sells me a flight which allowed checked-bags, can their first leg operator American airlines have a more restrictive baggage policy only allowing a carry-on?

When traveling on combined airlines, it's best to check the baggage allowance policies of both airlines carefully. Since your first flight is on American Airlines, I would adhere to their carry-on limits, which is generally one personal item (like a backpack) and one standard carry-on bag that fits in the overhead bin. You don't want to risk your bags being checked at the gate.

By the way, I came across this really useful guide about tourism in Vietnam while researching for your trip: https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in-vietnam-statistics-2024-your-all-in-one-travel-guide-5696 It has lots of great information on things like popular destinations, transportation tips, when the best time to visit is based on the weather, cultural experiences not to miss, and more. Might be worth a read to help plan your itinerary and learn more about the culture before arriving. Enjoy your trip!

By the way, I came across this really useful guide about tourism in Vietnam while researching for your trip: gowithguideDOTcom-@partofthatworld

Please tell us honestly: Do you or does your family/associates have any sort of financial interest in that website?

It's a necessary anti-spam question, especially considering how often you post their active links in various country forums.

Thanks for being transparent with us 🙏

Hello @oceanbeach92107 I'm not nor my family have any sort of financial interest in that website. I just found their blogs informative for the topics.

When I was looking over my flight, it appears Qatar Airlines does allow checked baggage included with the economy ticket. But my first leg will be operated by Amertican Airlines, I don't know if they will allow more than a carry-on bag.  I thought when I picked the flight it showed only a carry-on that's why I am questioning it. Might be nice to have a smaller backpack also to use in VN. Has anyone had a case where the first operating flight had a different baggage rule than the booking airline, in this case, Qatar.?        -@Dannyroc31.From May to October, Southern enters rainy season. Outside temperature is 32-35°C. Instead of windbreaker jacket, I think you should bring raincoat and anti-mosquito lotion 1f601.svg. (Just kidding, you can buy them in Vietnam, but if your skin is sensitive, buy the one which made in USA for sensitive skin) I'm not sure you mean "Long An" province (Mekong Delta region), or "Long Khanh" (Dong Nai province). But  I think you need anti- mosquito lotion, especially in Mekong Delta region.2.    Both American Airlines and Qatar allow carry-on bag 7kg. You can bring 2 bags. Ex: 1 bag + 1 laptop, or 2 bags with total weight not over 7kg.         -@nhi0768125So I am a little confused.  Yes my first flight is American, would I be able to bring the normal carry-on bag that often barely fits in the overhead and a smaller back pack or computer bag or purse?  Of course my former question was -If Qatar Air sells me a flight which allowed checked-bags, can their first leg operator American airlines have a more restrictive baggage policy only allowing a carry-on?        -@Dannyroc3

How could any of us know the answer to this question about baggage? Ask the airline!

Casual dating is not really a thing in Vietnam, your girl and her family will probably be thinking marriage so tread carefully and be honest.

Don't worry about clothes, you can buy anything you need for a fraction of the price you would pay in the US.

@Malcolmleitrim  So the baggage problem was difficult to get an answer from the first leg (American Airlines) because the flight was booked thought Qatar Air and the codes didn't ever show in American airlines search and I nev er could find a number which would answer or help.

What threw me off was at the first point of choosing the flight it said "Carry on only" which is what I expected but once I bought the flight I noticed Qatar allowed 2 checked bags.

When I checked in at the airport, AA told me I could have checked 2 bags. But it all worked out as I travel light anyway.

Glad it worked out OK, I usually fly with Qatar Airways and find them very good, not the cheapest but worth the extra. I hope your relationship is working out also, vietnamese women can be wonderful.

@Malcolmleitrim Thanks for your well wishes.

The relationship is nothing short of perfect. I am a pretty perceptive person, not overly critical but also observant in potential problems such as dishonesty or hidden motives and I have to say, the person I have been with has been so generous, kind, and selfless it's incredible.

We are currently in some beach place beginning with V outside of HCMC. 

Nice to hear you're enjoying a great time, congrats on your luck so far!

If that beach place outside of HCMC happens to be Vung Tau, and in case you're planning to stay put for a while, be aware of the upcoming holidays just around the corner, as a hoard of a hundred thousand (or several) from Saigon, Dong Nai, Binh Duong etc is headed your way and will be arriving a week from now!   

If that beach place outside of HCMC happens to be Vung Tau, and in case you're planning to stay put for a while, be aware of the upcoming holidays just around the corner, as a hoard of a hundred thousand (or several) from Saigon, Dong Nai, Binh Duong etc is headed your way and will be arriving a week from now!       -@snake77

Yeah, he'll be lucky if Back Beach is this empty...

img_20210430_194648.jpg

@snake77 Thanks for the warning.  We left this afternoon.  It took like 35 minutes to even get the elevator to stop at our floor or if it did, it was jammed packed so I am sure your warning was wise.

On an unrelated matter, I finally started getting a hot cup of water with coffee so when mixed together there would be more than 2 oz of strong coffee.

I want to go from a hotel to a rented 2-room apartment.  Is there a specific website where people list such places here in Long Kahn?

Are there certain things I should look for or be aware of?

On an unrelated matter, I finally started getting a hot cup of water with coffee so when mixed together there would be more than 2 oz of strong coffee   @Dannyroc3

Try ordering "Ca Phe Americano"

If that beach place outside of HCMC happens to be Vung Tau, and in case you're planning to stay put for a while, be aware of the upcoming holidays just around the corner, as a hoard of a hundred thousand (or several) from Saigon, Dong Nai, Binh Duong etc is headed your way and will be arriving a week from now!       -@snake77

Yeah, he'll be lucky if Back Beach is this empty...

img_20210430_194648.jpg-@OceanBeach92107

YES, this photo does indeed show a rather EMPTY beach for any National Holiday

here's a pre COVID-19 era pic, but I'd expect it to be back to this next weekend: https://vnexpress.net/bien-vung-tau-don … 02290.html

the article noted: Bãi Sau có gần 80.000 người tắm biển = "80'000 people"

@OceanBeach92107

Not to be too critical but at the beach, there was a karaoke thing going on and wow, that was the worst singing I have ever heard.

@OceanBeach92107
Not to be too critical but at the beach, there was a karaoke thing going on and wow, that was the worst singing I have ever heard.

-@Dannyroc3

You've got a short memory...

https://youtu.be/6XK3fLCSUAM

I want to go from a hotel to a rented 2-room apartment.  Is there a specific website where people list such places here in Long Kahn? Are there certain things I should look for or be aware of?        -@Dannyroc3

I doubt you'll the internet will be much help in your case, mainly because Long Khanh real estate listing are usually more for sale. Besides, it isn't exactly the most popular town in terms of people seeking to buy/rent, therefore, there's also likely a rather limited number of offers posted on the main websites.

Bien Hoa is by far the leader in terms of listings, followed by Nhon Trach, due to the proximity to the City.

Anyway, I'd recommend you simply head on a stroll out and about town. LK isn't that big of a town to do some area reconnaissance, which will help getting to know how to get around, potentially to even locate specific locations of interest and you'll be able to evaluate or determine more or less on the spot, if something might look promising or is a clear NO-GO.

One thing you want to keep in mind, LK has not exactly been one of those town blessed with the kind of prosperity and development like perhaps Bien Hoa. Dong Nai & Binh Duong do have a huge problem with poverty and to make matters worse, after they cleared out all or much of the junkies from central HCMC districts, the used needles are since littering out there, where "nobody sees it".

What I want to say by that is, do not underestimate the crime related to those problems, such as drive-by snatching, robbery, but also home invasion!

No need to be paranoid and anyone paying attention and with a decent sense of situational awareness isn't likely to fall victim of such sort of crimes.

However, as any foreigner in such places, you do present a prime target and therefore, I strongly recommend to ONLY opt for renting inside something like a secured, modern condominium complex or sort of wall-off housing compound, but in any case, which is managed properly, meaning it includes a 24/7 security guard presence and has a strict entry control to access the building/property.

If you're looking to rent only short term, that might be rather difficult. In case you plan to be hopping back and forth between the US and VN and will be regularly returning for extend periods, you might want to think about renting something maybe a bit bigger than just for the two of you, as well as LONG TERM (if you're financial situation allows).

My brother in law from the UK is married to a Vietnamese but living in the UK. He decided to rent a furnished 3 room apartment in a condo in Vung Tau (I recall it costs around $600 US/mth). Our parents in law, both retired, are living there the year round and whenever he's over, they have their home ready to settle in. The practical thing about this kind of "investment" is that on one hand, you have someone maintaining and also sort of protecting/guarding your "home & belongings" while you're gone. On another hand, you need to consider the perception from the perspective of the Vietnamese "end of the deal". For one, it may help to demonstrate that you care for them, that you're serious about the whole thing, that you're able (financially) to care and so on. It also helps YOU to see their response and reaction, if they show support, demonstrate flexibility or tolerance, considering the rather conservative traditional thinking (which isn't  exactly compatible with such "solutions"). But more importantly, if they seem to embrace such an idea and engage in let's say helping to search or joining the sight visits, then you won't have to worry about getting ripped off. They will then take care over negotiating the terms and conditions, as well as managing all the related matters, such as legal or administrative issues (if any, expect so in LK) regarding registration with the local "Viet-Stasi" blokes.

They might even have some useful connections, and even if not, they'll still know how, when, where AND who needs how much greasy oiling to avoid a waste of time and go directly to the "VIP-fast-tracked-lane" to get your file and all the "necessary" papers directly on top of the pile on the desk of the Commandant in charge, who holds the sole power of final approval and depending if in a good mood, on a case by case basis, also randomly decides RED STAMP instead of RED TAPE. Depending if it's a good mood time, any document is instantly turned into a notarized certificate and you've automatically earned your frequent (welcomed) returning customer title. Whenever down the road you show up again and need a RED STAMP for something, you'll receive smiles and special friendly treatment. Just remember to always bring your local family "liaison" along and let the "natives" get things sorted, just sit down and always keep smiling so everyone can see that like how you're treated and that you're enjoying and feel happy in VN...

Finally, there's one more very valuable thing about the overall idea I put out for you (renting something long term, proposing some family members to move in). it might start early on but it will clearly allow you to OBSERVE things as time goes by. Here comes the expectations or the intentions which might not be obvious in the early stages.

Like the good old saying goes "trust is good, control is better". Not intending to label anyone, but it's more often than not, the case that Viets expect some sort of opportunity or to some sort profit and benefit by rubbing off the the shoulders from of a "rich" foreigner. And that's OK, the last a Viet family would want is some sort of expat loser who will need to be fed and taken care of!

No need to elaborate, but when the buy me this, buy me that list comes along, starting with the motorbike, just see what happens when you propose a secondhand Honda LEAD. If ONLY a brand new Honda SH is acceptable, or if instead of any 2-4mil VND smartphone only latest brand new Iphone will do, well then >  I'd be packing my bags and hen gap lai...

Simply said, if the first response to the idea of renting a nice apartment, or at some early stage after, is no no, not good, better to BUY a house ASAP > PACK YOUR BAGS!!!

As said, it will allow you to observe and evaluate without taking much of a risk or having to worry too much about getting into trouble, let alone, getting ripped off and suffering a huge financial loss!

Just see and watch if it is appreciated or if there's obviously an endless list of more and more demands.

Cheers

I want to go from a hotel to a rented 2-room apartment.  Is there a specific website where people list such places here in Long Kahn?
Are there certain things I should look for or be aware of?
    -@Dannyroc3

Based on what you've been saying so far, you have an outstanding relationship with your Vietnamese girlfriend and she should definitely help you with the process.

You just have to be very clear with her about what it is you seek and whether or not she will live there with you or just visit you from time to time.

it's not just an issue between the two of you but will require registration should she be added as a regular resident of the place you rent.

Also if you know exactly what you want in a rental prior to signing a lease then your girlfriend should hopefully be able to help negotiate the things you need such as an air conditioning unit in a room without one or an instant water heater in a bathroom that only has cold water running.

if you were to go that route and then the two of you decided to split, the situation becomes much messier.

@snake77 Thanks for so much perspective offered.

Yes, I guess I am a "take it slow" type person and as you mentioned: if things seem to develop into a "buy me" situation, I would check out. So far the exact opposite has been the experience where she keeps paying for incidental stuff and then seems reluctant to accept reimbursement.  (Maybe its a tactic?) 

She is constantly buying and bringing me stuff and when I offer to something like a jacket, she claims she has several at home.

We have made no headway on the apartment search. I have lived in other countries where it was standard to basically use a broker service, I didn't know if Real estate agents here had a place in finding rentals.

@OceanBeach92107

So we have talked about the apartment in terms of us being together there, as a couple. If I wanted a place to myself I might be content to make a monthly deal with the hotel which is a fairly comfortable place at 17.00 a night. But I want a 2 bdrm. 

Thanks for mentioning the hot water consideration.

I talk in terms of short term planning because I believe in the old adage- People who fall in love in 5 minutes, fall out of love as quickly. 1f600.svg

So I move ahead hopeful but realistically. 

Has anyone developed any skin problems in VN?  I noticed on my forearms a slight reddening and small bumps which slightly itch. One would not notice it at a glance, I just wonder if I should try to find some Anti-fungal cream or something.  Maybe I picked it up from swimming in the sea but I think it had started beforehand.

Has anyone developed any skin problems in VN?  I noticed on my forearms a slight reddening and small bumps which slightly itch. One would not notice it at a glance, I just wonder if I should try to find some Anti-fungal cream or something.  Maybe I picked it up from swimming in the sea but I think it had started beforehand.

-@Dannyroc3

Sounds like heat rash/prickly heat, which is related to sweating.

"Miliaria rubra: This type of heat rash is often referred to as prickly heat,  because it can cause an itchy or prickly feeling along with small, inflamed bumps on your skin."

It results from sweat collecting between your skin and your clothing and/or bed sheets and pillows when sleeping and hair follicles blocking your sweat glands,

You can try some kind of talcum powder or some people recommend using an electrolyte beverage powder supplement dissolved in water that improves hydration. You can also drink more water, of course, and use the A/C when sleeping. Eventually, it should go away as the rainy season progresses and average temperatures go down.

The best thing to do would be to consult a knowledgeable pharmacist for professional recommendations.

-@Dannyroc3

No.

No one has ever developed any skin problems here... 😉

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=841292

A whole lot of drama for a former forum member to discover that Jay is probably right: heat rash.

Has anyone developed any skin problems in VN?  I noticed on my forearms a slight reddening and small bumps which slightly itch. One would not notice it at a glance, I just wonder if I should try to find some Anti-fungal cream or something.  Maybe I picked it up from swimming in the sea but I think it had started beforehand.        -@Dannyroc3

Agree with members jayrozzetti23 and OceanBeach92107.

I found that frequent cool showers and staying under the aircon helped, a lot!

Dannyroc3, as a newly minted VN expat, you will understandably have many questions, all of which our members will be happy to try to help you with. I do have a request though.

As new questions arise, we would very much appreciate your visiting the forum's home page and posting any new question(s) under the "Post new topic" header. This will greatly increase the threads visibility when other members use our search function and will be of tremendous value to people facing similar issues/concerns as yourself.

@Aidan in HCMC Thanks for the posting tip.

@OceanBeach92107 The antifungle didnt do anything, in fact it got worse so I switched to an ointment I was prescribed some time ago and I will see how that works.

The reason I don't think it is heat is because back home I usually walk and run, even in the heat of the day for over an hour, I even did this also in Arizona during the heat of the day with no problems and I sweated much more than here.  But the humidity here is incredible and maybe it is the problem after all. I will use this triamcinolone a few more days and see.

@OceanBeach92107 The antifungle didnt do anything, in fact it got worse so I switched to an ointment I was prescribed some time ago and I will see how that works.

Be careful, my friend. I'm not surprised it's gotten worse. As I understand it both antifungal creams and ointments are intended to penetrate the pores of the skin which will exacerbate your bodies ability to sweat. 

The reason I don't think it is heat is because back home I usually walk and run, even in the heat of the day for over an hour, I even did this also in Arizona during the heat of the day with no problems and I sweated much more than here. 

Though its lay term is "heat rash", that is a misnomer (better it was called "sweat rash"). Arizona is hot, yes, but it is also quite dry, allowing your sweat to dissipate.

But the humidity here is incredible and maybe it is the problem after all. I will use this triamcinolone a few more days and see.   
   -@Dannyroc3

Bingo. If it is indeed a "heat rash", then the humidity is the problem. Take a look here for info on triamcinolone and "heat rash".

"In some instances, a healthcare professional will recommend triamcinolone 0.1% cream (Triderm). This topical corticosteroid is only available by prescription in the United States." Thankfully, not so in Vietnam 1f609.svg

(important to also read "What You Need to Know About Triamcinolone", here)

I suggest you visit a medical professional. You could even walk into any pharmacy (Nha Thuoc) and show/explain to the pharmacist your symptoms. They'll fix you up.

Good luck sir, and please let us know how you make out.

this post should in no way be considered medical advice