Menu
Expat.com

Mobile phone plans in Cyprus

Last activity 20 September 2024 by Drambuie

Cheryl

Hello everyone,

Staying connected while living in Cyprus remains a priority for expats, especially when choosing a mobile operator or to understand the local specificities of mobile plans.

Here some elements to consider:

How to choose your mobile operator in Cyprus?

What documents are required to subscribe to a mobile plan in Cyprus?

What criteria should you consider when choosing a plan matching your needs?

Are e-sim cards a suitable option for expats? What are the conditions?

What are your local tips for saving money on your mobile plan, especially for international calls (apps, operators, etc.) or mobile data?

Feel free to share your experiences and advice to choose your mobile plan as an expat in Cyprus.

Thank you for your contribution.

Cheryl
The Expat.com Team

lshill

I have two sims - one is a virtual sim.  I have a mobile service with O2 in the UK and then a Sim for Epic in Cyprus on my iPhone.  This allows me to use my UK sim to access bank and other services that require 3 factor identification.  Also cheaper to use O2 when in other countries outside the EU than Epic.  We might change to Cytanet as we have our internet with them.  I think we could only get pay as you go sims at first until our residency came through but not sure if that is still the case.  For a pay as you go sim you can just pick that up anywhere.  For a contract you will need the usual documents - bills, residency card/yellow slip.

phildraper

I signed up for PrimeTel fiber internet and 2 mobile phones when I arrived in Dec 2022. No issues and easy to do. There was the usual 'special' offer for the 1st year. Now I pay 25.20 for the internet and 7.50 each for the sims

I also have another sim from a UK network in both phones. We normally use WhatsApp for calls when on WIFI so no cost for these.

Peter Ty

I have a CYTA "so easy" PAYG SIM. The app has a daily scratch card which often gives free small top-ups (e.g. 200 MB data, 30 mins calls, 200 SMS, etc.) so, if you're a low user, it's effectively almost free! (I topped up €5 months ago and I've still got some credit left.)

It also includes roaming in the UK.

You don't need a contract or any documentation to get one, you can pick up a SIM card from any CYTA shop or most kiosks.

phildraper

PrimeTel have now upgraded me to unlimited everything FOC That normally makes me think I could get a better deal elsewhere lol

Toon

I already had a 9.99 deal 18 months into 24 month contract and they upgraded me too with an increase in price which I had no chance to reject..so I argued and got the giga unlimited at same price 9.99 for two years.   

Drambuie

They do try it on. I changed from Primetel after many years now with Cablenet fibre for home. Mobile also changed.

My other half stayed with Primetel mobile she got the letter informing her of the Fact!!!! that she had been upgraded to unlimited at the new rate.

I then had a long conversation informing them that we were not! in agreement and would hold them to the contract.

Subsequent letter confirming that she has been upgraded and no increase in monthly payment.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Cyprus

All of Cyprus's guide articles