Menu
Expat.com

Leaving a Job in Vietnam any advice?

Last activity 27 August 2024 by ajairon

niBlue

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all having a great weekend.

I would need some advice regarding a recent situation I’m facing if possible please . Yesterday, I left my job and I was shocked to find out that my legal documentation (TRC), which allows me to stay in Vietnam, will be revoked. I also learned that this is a standard procedure in the country.

I’ve been living and working here for over a year, and I’m now seeking to move  a different company.

So Here’s my question: I’ve applied for new positions, but 15(time after revoke) days is not enough to be realistic. My TRC is still active. Is there any way to extend my stay a little longer while I wait for a new job opportunity? Like border run or something?

Thank you for your attention.

Mac68

Hello everyone,

I would need some advice regarding a recent situation I’m facing if possible please . Yesterday, I left my job and I was shocked to find out that my legal documentation (TRC), which allows me to stay in Vietnam, will be revoked. I also learned that this is a standard procedure in the country.

I’ve been living and working here for over a year, and I’m now seeking to move  a different company.

So Here’s my question: I’ve applied for new positions, but 15(time after revoke) days is not enough to be realistic. My TRC is still active. Is there any way to extend my stay a little longer while I wait for a new job opportunity? Like border run or something?

So, 15 day to find another position, another job, depending your willingness to look for another job, not wait for naother opportunity, try working as a English teachers aid in a regular Viet Secondary School, English language tutoir. Doesn't pay well, but it is employment.

Good Luck,

mAC

-@niBlue

niBlue

Thank you for your reply @mac,

I will consider this option also.

Usually how the recruitment work for that sector? I ask this because I was working as IT before all those happen so everything was on web.

OceanBeach92107

Hello everyone,

-@niBlue

Short answer: there's absolutely nothing you can do to extend your TRC once your *SPONSOR* has withdrawn sponsorship.

Your French passport will allow you to have a free 45 day visa exemption...as soon as you exit the country and process through immigration in the neighboring county (Laos or Cambodia) or any place where you do a border run (such as a flight to Thailand, The Philippines or Kuala Lumpur).

Good luck with whatever you choose to do

niBlue

Thank you very much for your reply @OceanBeach92107

Do you think it will be okay If I start an E visa apply before leaving to have a garante? I never took one before, I mean in case something happen

noddi

@niBlue The TRC is linked to the work permit. If you leave your job on good terms with your employer, it is common practice for them not to rescind your permit for a limited period while you get your next job. There is no obligation for them to do this, and it is technically incorrect So my first question is, did you just walk out or are you still on good terns with them?

OceanBeach92107
    Thank you very much for your reply @OceanBeach92107

Do you think it will be okay If I start an E visa apply before leaving to have a garante? I never took one before, I mean in case something happen 

-@niBlue

You can try, but almost all applications for Evisa made from within Vietnam are being  rejected, so unless you are willing to pay extra to a trustworthy agent who has a proven track record of successfully applying for new evisas for people still in Vietnam, you'll need to process out of the country (passport scan on departure) and then apply from your new location.

Very bad timing right now, because immigration won't be processing any visa applications over the long holiday weekend (Saturday August 31st through Wednesday September 4th).

That also means there will be a big slowdown in immigration for the week following the holiday weekend.

There's really no reason to expect anything to go wrong with your French visa exemption, except that you'll have to do another border run in 45 days after you reenter.

However, if your sponsor has reported you for any type of law infraction, then it's conceivably possible you might be on a black list that would keep you from reentering.

I'm not implying you've done something illegal but you've been somewhat vague about the circumstances surrounding the end of your employment and the negative response of your employer.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

niBlue

@noddi

WP is connected to TRC  that's right, so If I leave I don't work any more, so basically it's illegal.

and for your question, I can say that I left peacefully by giving a last goodbye to all my friends at work and the boss without interrupting the operations

niBlue

Without forgetting thank you for taking your time and joining the post  @noddi

niBlue

@OceanBeach92107

National day right, very important point that I wasn't keeping in front.

I understand, and let me say that my resignation wasn't related to a bad action or illegal activities.

Maybe still not convincing but c'mon people smile.png

OceanBeach92107

@OceanBeach92107
National day right, very important point that I wasn't keeping in front.
I understand, and let me say that my resignation wasn't related to a bad action or illegal activities.
Maybe still not convincing but c'mon people smile.png-@niBlue

Understood. It's just that we get many people posting here who have quit in anger or without giving acceptable notice WITHOUT first inquiring about the likely consequences of their actions.

Good luck whatever you choose to do 🙏

snake77

@noddi
WP is connected to TRC  that's right, so If I leave I don't work any more, so basically it's illegal.
and for your question, I can say that I left peacefully by giving a last goodbye to all my friends at work and the boss without interrupting the operations

-@niBlue

Just my opinion and feedback based on several cases I've seen first hand.

1. correct, as you said WP is connected to TRC. Yes. But WP is also connected to your labor contract among other things like qualification etc. Then you say "if I leave" it's basically illegal. Not a lawyer and no clue what the law exactly formulates, it usually takes quite a bit of time to review the case and then produce a verdict > guilty as charged (for what) or not guilty. If you've worked here for several years VS someone failing to pass probation, then you'd obviously might be a bit more of a complicated case. You would likely have rental matter to sort out, prepare various things in terms of packing and moving. You may also need some time to recover from burn-out or even be in some medical treatment. Who knows? Lots of reasons why you need a bit more time.
  2. I work for a large international company and we've had many cases where expats resign or even got sacked due to KPI etc, but simply reached out and ALWAYS received the support from HR to NOT ring up and inform those related entities and report you to have your TRC revoked. NO, quite the contrary seems to be the common practice. Sometimes they simply agree to keep silent and let the whole thing run for the remainder of the duration of the contract and/or WP, or then agreed to wait for 3 month or whatever.

So, if as you said, you left on friendly terms, simply reach out and ask your former boss for help or explain your situation. Most likely they'll have their own agency dealing with these matters and they will know what can be done without getting into any trouble.

Worst case, fly out and like others have said, simply return based on whatever options of visa or exemptions thereof apply to your case.

However, more important than anything (in my opinion) is, that right now, while you hold all of the most "important" benefactors (still valid TRC & WP), you are considered as one of the easiest candidates to get (re-)hired, compared to some expat expert abroad. If a company sees you as someone they want, they'll be super happy to see that you've already passed the initial procedure to even get here.

My advice is to use the time you have right now and to reach out to as many headhunters you can find. Of course you should also search and apply for job announcements. But going with headhunters is by far the most promising way to go. If you're in country and already hold all the needed paperwork, you will be the easiest candidate for any headhunter to present/introduce or let's say "sell" to their clients. I've seen that one of the most important factors for expats to get a new job, is to be able to show up for interview within anything from a few hrs after a call at 09.00am in the morning for a meeting the same day from anywhere between 11.00am to 04.00pm. If you can't show up within 24hrs, you probably won't be among the other 10 folks who could and you won't have much of a chance to even be shortlisted. It is that competitive, unless you're some sort of Steve Jobs. But right now, you have all the best card in your hand at this very moment!

It might be frustrating to search, wait and prepare day after day. Just don't give up, keep at and stay ready 24/7, I've seen it work out 9 times out of 10!

GOOD LUCK!   

ajairon

@niBlue hello man, what I know is once the decision to terminate your contract, your employer has up to 15 days to go to immigration department to revoke the TRC.  In that same moment you and your employer can carry out procedures for grant of a new visa for exit (10-15 days), or if you are lucky, explain your will to find another job in Vietnam, and the planetary position and how many coffees, they could also give you another visa to stay 45 days avoiding a visa run to the border.

Good luck

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Working in Vietnam
    Working in Vietnam

Anyone thinking about working in Vietnam is in for a treat. Compared to many Western countries, Vietnam's ...

• Setting up a business in Vietnam
    Setting up a business in Vietnam

Foreign entrepreneurs from across the globe have been landing across Asia for decades. In August, Harvard ranked ...

• Finding a job in Hanoi
    Finding a job in Hanoi

With Vietnam's new visa regulations, you will need to secure a job before entering the country. Opportunities to ...

• Working in Hanoi
    Working in Hanoi

The traditional capital of Vietnam is quickly becoming a professional's paradise. Attracting over 20,000 ...

• Working in Vietnam as a digital nomad
    Working in Vietnam as a digital nomad

Vietnam is emerging as a new popular destination for digital nomads and downshifters. As the prices in most Asian ...

• Internships in Vietnam
    Internships in Vietnam

Interning can be a wonderful eye-opening way to experience a new country, culture, and work climate in your ...

• The Vietnamese labor market
    The Vietnamese labor market

Depending on your industry and patience, finding a job in Vietnam can be a challenge. Many companies and local ...

• Working in Nha Trang
    Working in Nha Trang

The city of Nha Trang, located in the province of Khanh Hoa, thrives on tourism. If you are looking for a job in ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles