Menu
Expat.com

Bank Account

Last activity 17 September 2024 by AlbertaDonuts

ShueArie

I've been visiting the Philippines for the last 2 or so years roughly a month 2 to 3 times a year. I stay at my Fiancée home every visit. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the Banking Rules there. Can I or we open a Bank Account under both our name since I am not a full resident yet?

Skip Scott

No, not until you obtain a 13A visa or SRRV.

Sorry!

tphgawn

I managed to open a joint account with my philipino wife without a 13a or a SRRV. At the time was in to my second or third tourist extension, preparing to get my 13a provisional. Was with BDO if any help.

pnwcyclist

I managed to open a joint account with my philipino wife without a 13a or a SRRV. At the time was in to my second or third tourist extension, preparing to get my 13a provisional. Was with BDO if any help.        -@tphgawn

I have heard that BDO will do that, thanks.

Harbred6051

@ShueArie. If your fiancee is a PH citizen she can obviously open a bank acct in her name. I dont believe expats / foreigners can open one unless theyve been here min of 6 months, AND have at least an ACR card, OR either an SRRV OR a 13A perm resident visa. Thats my understanding.

Harbred6051

@tphgawn Yes...at some banks they will open a bank acct for an expat provided they are already married to a PH citizen...

Enzyte Bob

Harbred6051said. . . . If your fiancee is a PH citizen she can obviously open a bank acct in her name. I dont believe expats / foreigners can open one unless theyve been here min of 6 months, AND have at least an ACR card, OR either an SRRV OR a 13A perm resident visa. Thats my understanding.

When I came to the Philippines in 2018 I was unsuccessful in opening an account at BDO. At that point I was married to my wife 11 years, so the account was opened in her name. After I received my 13A I really didn't think it was necessary to go through the red tape to get added on the account.

So he who controls the debit card, online login and pin should have no worries about the account.

renegadesric529

@Enzyte Bob

hi im coming to live in ph soon and looking at the requirments and  it says you need to deposit funds $20,000 so would need a bank account

ShueArie

@tphgawn

Thanks for the reply. May I ask what was required of you to open the Account?

renegadesric529

@ShueArie

just need ID

im applying for srrv and need a ph bank account

Larry Fisher

No, not until you obtain a 13A visa or SRRV.
Sorry!

-@Skip Scott

WRONG! I have neither and I have a Philippines bank account. I send money from US to it every month too. And use the ATM for cash.

Morgacj200424

@Larry Fisher

incorrect i got a PNB savings and checking account many years  ago without having a SRRV or 13A

Larry Fisher

@Larry Fisher
incorrect i got a PNB savings and checking account many years  ago without having a SRRV or 13A

-@Morgacj200424

You're aiming at the wrong target. I did the same as you just 2-3 months ago. I said, like you, one DOESNT need SRRV or 13a to open an account.

It all depends on bank/branch POLICY. Not some law.

tphgawn

@ShueArie basically proof of identity. Presented both my passport and my wife's together with our PSA marriage certificate

Brojeslov

In 2019, my buddy walked into a PNB branch in Iloilo City and opened a savings account with his Aussie Passport and his girlfriend's address on an envelope. They did not ask for an ACR or visa or for evidence that he resided at the address. Of course, the rules might have changed since then

Imaginos

Check here:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 70#5961983

AlbertaDonuts

I have been coming to the Phills for 8 years.  I first tried opening a Bank Acct at BDO several years ago and they would not hardly talk to me.

Last year I came for 6 months and got an ACR card, BDO would talk to me but still said no.

I was talking to a lawyer about a home transaction and my problems with getting a bank account.  He recommended a particular bank.  I went in and as soon as they heard I was recommended by the lawyer, they took my info and opened my account.  It is the easiest way to transfer funds from Canada to here with no fees and good exchange rate.

Since this time, I have learned the BDO network branch will also open an account for me but the true BDO would not. 

I can't say for sure if I would have been able to open the account without the ACR but I do know haveing a referral and the right bank makes a big difference.

Good Luck,

Don

Harbred6051

Yep..Its all about connections & who u know!...

Enzyte Bob

The advantage of BDO Unibank is 4,000 Atm's and 1200 branches.

AlbertaDonuts

My bank allows me to use all the other ATM for an insignificant fee, only pennies.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles