Menu
Expat.com

Experience on compound living

Last activity 20 October 2024 by Bhavna

GuestPoster1239

Hello,

I have accepted an engineering role at SABIC in GC15.

I was wondering if anyone can share their experience of compound living.

We are a couple no kids, and two cats.

I would appreciate it if the list of compounds could be listed that we can explore over the internet.

We are arriving from Canada in early Nov.

Thanks

Bhavna

@80sutherland

hello and welcome !

Are you looking for compounds in Jubail only ?

Regards

Bhavna

GuestPoster1239

Hi Bhanva, thanks for the response, anything within a 20-30-minute drive to the SABIC head office.

Bhavna

@80sutherland

Try posting an advert in the housing section, you might receive some offers : https://www.expat.com/en/housing/middle … l/add.html

Regards

Bhavna

GuestPoster1239

Thanks Bhavna

GuestPoster1239

Hello,
I have accepted an engineering role at SABIC.
I was wondering if anyone can share their experience of compound living.
We are a couple no kids, and two cats.
I would appreciate it if the list of compounds could be listed that we can explore over the internet.
We are arriving from Canada in early Nov.
Thanks

-@80sutherland
XTang

The best advice I can give you is NOT to look for compounds within 20-30 min drive.  Look for ones between 5-10 or so minutes.  Because what may look like a 20 min drive on google maps, turns into a 35 min to 1 hour plus drive during rush hour. 

As an example, my office just shifted to the northen ring road and I was in a compound east of riyadh.   On google maps, it is 18 km and 20 or so minutes from my compound to the office.  In reality, I have to leave home by 645 to be able to make it in 30 minutes.  If I leave 7, it is 45 minutes.  If I leave 730, it is one hour 15 minutes.   The traffic is absolutely horrendous.

Another thing that I can tell you is that NONE of the compounds have availability right now in the northern part of the city - some of the overpriced ones may do.   You can't search and book the compounds on the internet.   You call the compound manager and he will tell you to call back after a month to see if anything became available.

For you, I guess the closest compound will be Al Hamra Oasis Village.  Be warned that it is going to be really expensive - their latest rate list that I got, showed a one bedroom for 170K a year.  2 bedrooms hit 200K or so.  There is also a new one called Tolima; I don't know much about it but it is around that area.   Edit: Also, no one will book you a compound over the internet.  Most compounds want a copy of your passport, Iqama and a deposit amount (which is rolled over to the security deposit when you move in).   They may give you information e.g. it is available now but when you come in Nov, it may not be - no one can give you that guarantee.

GuestPoster1239

@XTang Thank you for the detailed response.

It looks like Tolima and Al Hamra are in Riyadh.

My job location will likely be in Head Office Jubail.

Appreciate it if you have any insights for this region.

Regards

XTang

Apologies I assumed SABIC headoffice.  I guess Jubail traffic is not as bad so your initial thought works.

Expat-khayala

@GuestPoster1239

Hello,dear madam/sir,you are welcome !

Finding houses in compounds needs time and several visits.It is better to come to Jubail and stay in monthly houses.Later you can see which area of Jubail you like most.Because of new work contract we have to move to Khobar,but we already paid full year rental cost.Our private villa house is in 9 minutes distance from Sabic head office in Jubail in the neighbourhood Tamimi Supermarket-Fanateer.

Bhavna

@Expat-khayala

Hello and welcome !

Please note that GuestPoster is no longer on the website.

Regards

Bhavna

Articles to help you in your expat project in Jubail

All of Jubail's guide articles