Plan D (or are we up to Plan E by now?!)

I just thought of another possible option for us to legally move to Bulgaria sooner -- the freelancer work permit option. I'd previously dismissed this one because of the need for contracts for freelance work from Bulgarian companies, and because I would not be able to pass the Bulgarian language proficiency exam at B1 standard. But hubby could.

I know I'll need assistance from a good immigration and business lawyer to set this up, but I'm wondering if it would work for me to convert my Bulgarian company, set up to buy our house, to a working business, get a business bank account, and then route my book royalties to the Bulgarian company. The company could then employ hubby as a freelance publishing assistant.

Can anyone venture any opinion about whether he could then apply for the work permit and the freelancer D visa? I understand he'd be liable for tax and social security contributions, and the company would be too, and provided it's not wildly expensive, we're happy to contribute whatever will be due to the Bulgarian economy. My questions are 1. Would he qualify? 2. Once he has residency, can I apply for a D visa to join him under family reunification? 3. What haven't I considered here?

Or just imagining for a minute the wild and crazy idea that I could learn Bulgarian well enough to raise my current mid-A1 proficiency to pass at B1, could my own company employ me as a freelancer?

@janemulberry

This is a good option, well done on the lateral thinking! :-) I don't believe the freelancing option is difficult to get, especially if being done by an immigration attorney. Again, you need a consult to go over the details before you proceed.

You need a business plan for a publishing company, which shouldn't be too hard to do.

And you need Bulgarian proficiency, which is the main reason that it's not an option for many Brits. However, it's only B1 (the scale is A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2) which is not a very high bar. In my experience of language learning an A2/B1 can be achieved after taking an intensive language class of a few weeks (maybe a month). Most folks, even as complete beginners, should only need 2 intensive month-long courses (complete beginners to A1 or A2, then a 2nd from A1/A2 to B1/B2). If you're motivated, this wouldn't be out of reach for either of you. A few years back I had to reach B1 in German, and I did this after a one-week intensive.

I don't think there are any revenue requirements, and you have to demonstrate your financial resources to support yourself while you start the business. So the language requirement is the only real obstacle, and if you can meet this I doubt you'll have any issues with the rest of the application.

I would keep your house company separate as that's a non-trading asset-owning entity (for simple accounting/filing) and have a separate Bulgarian entity for your freelancing work.

Rerouting your personal royalties to the company (if you can do this) sounds like a good option to me. But not as part of the plan to get the visa, perhaps more as a way to demonstrate the business is working and generating revenue when you come to renew it.

Whoever gets the D visa this way becomes a legal Bulgarian resident. Then you can pay income tax and social security from the company based on its income. Which then gets you access to the Bulgarian health system. A legal resident can own a vehicle in their own name.

A legal resident can then do family reunification to get D visa and legal residence for their spouse.

Jane, I know nothing about this, but I will follow this thread with anticipation that you get some useful answers.

Where's Gwyn when you need him 1f601.svg.

Edit - he replied when I was typing, it took me a while to write as I had a plumber visit.

Thanks so much, Gwyn! I am almost certain hubby could pass the language test at B1 level right now, he is way more gifted at languages than I am (and works at it harder, too), though he'd be sure to do some intensive study before sitting the test, too. So for that reason the company needs to employ him as the freelancer, not me, at least for starters.

Hmm, bummer that I used the same name for the company that owns the house as I use for my book publishing. But if it makes more sense to keep those separate, I could get a new Bulgarian company for the publishing business with a similar name. And if the company has a bank account it's very simple to send my earnings to that, though I'm currently very happy with them going to Wise. Possibly they can still go to Wise but enough is then transferred to the company to cover expenses, pay hubby's freelancer fees, and show it's a working business.

I'll definitely need advice from an immigration and business lawyer on how best we should set up the business plan and employment contracts so they meet the requirements for hubby to obtain the freelancer permit.  Once he has that, the D visa part seems more straightforward.

I am so glad there's a potential legal way forward. Illegally overstaying really didn't appeal, and neither does legally moving country to outside the EU every 90 days until I can get the retirement visa!