In Tripoli

salutations from Tripoli-Libya. Internet is finally back in this part of town. today for the first time in 6 months i got out of the janzour area and went to town, saw bab al azizia, and the martyrs square. have to say it was quite emotional and over whelming. People are very different after all this, theres so much happiness and joy and you can feel their positive energy when your around them. driving has however become sort of worse comparing to before, i suppose its the over excitement of the events and hopefully this will improve. prices for renting are still down for now and we dont know for how long this will be. feel free to ask me anything regarding that department.

best of regards to everyone hope you all are well looking forward to help rebuild libya with eveyone.

* to the revolutionaries that lost their lives in this fight for freedom, may they rest in peace. and may their sacrifices never be forgotten*

ciao

Good to hear from you Aleksandra. Must be liberating to finally be able to get out and drive around.

Do you have Wimax or ADSL? Do you know if both are working?

How is the ground situation in Janzour itself? Are the shops opening? Foodstuff available? It would be good if you can give some details about that.

I heard garbage collection is an issue, is this correct?

Thanks,

Siddiqui

welcome back to Libya Aleksandra..

thanks a lot for ur deep words..

Libya is Free.. ^_^

Hi Alexandra
Do you mind telling us a little bit, about electricity, running water, garbage collection and shops? what is it like in Tripoli when it comes to -what we would call municipal- these services?

And for my personal interest, how is Gargaresh road area, -if you ever have a chance to visit? One misses their own neighborhood more than anything else apparently :-)

Thanks and I am glad you feel safer and freer. That is the best news.
fk

about Gargaresh... it's quiet safe ..

electricity, running water both OK... bt there is some problems with binsin/fuel .

Hi Alex welcome Back to Libya and I wish all ok with you i would like to know how you arrived there by bus from Tunisia or how u arriv Tripoli and what about airport road is it safe coz my accommodation is there

Regards

ADSL & Wimax both working perfectly fine. ADSL was back on within hours after the Revolutionaries took over Tripoli. At the moment there is NO downloading limit but it will be activated once the final phase is complete. Infact they have already started to sell new connections for Wimax and the both mobile networks. Garbage is or should I say was a problem as in our area in Janzour they have now started to come regularly.

Gergarish is in its full glory but the shops start to close abit early then usual. Most of the cafes are open but not all as the food supply is not sorted. But its improving daily.

Foodstuff is available but expensive and as i have said already that its improving everyday.

No problem with running water or electricity. Petrol stations are working in their full capacity. There was a small problem 3 days back and that has been sorted out so the supply is back to normal and 25 mins is the maximum time you take to fill your car.

I hope this helps.

Umar

@enraged tha for your value info but may know when u arrived tripoli and how u reach there ?? and is it safe like past and is guns and weapons still with people in streets???

Thx

I didnt leave Libya at all. Celebratory fires have been banned by the Council. They are working very hard to take the weapons off the streets but it will take time.

I feel safe with revolutionaries in power. Police is back on the streets. Getting better everyday.

I didnt leave Libya at all. Celebratory fires have been banned by the Council. They are working very hard to take the weapons off the streets but it will take time.

I feel safe with revolutionaries in power. Police is back on the streets. Getting better everyday.

Really youare Hero and Brave we evactaed 67 motnh ago after hotel was under eavy shooting and qaddafi solider attacked hotel and may ask if you have any news about international flight and if Libyan airlines will start resume international flight operation ???

Thx

hi everyone,
well i can see most of your questions have been asked, i will do the sweep up of whats left:D
i also didnt leave libya, my sister, my mom and i stayed here the whole time and when i said that i went down town for the first time in 6 months i mean i left janzour for the first time in 6 months, we only went out for supplies when needed, other than that nothing else.
as the other members explained the garbage issue was solved or still is,, people are cleaning the streets,shops began opening about a week after the rebels freed tripoli, at least thats when we first went out. supplies are more expensive , the week after tripoli fell a kilo of tomatoes was 4-5 dinars and now its about 1-2 dinars, things are getting better,i went out today to veranda, i passed parts of gargaresh and it looks all good,, shops are open, even the clothes stores are too, alot of sale:D there is a presence of armed fighters, and its for safety, there are check points in many places, and there are even more at night, again this is good, the new security is very friendly, i know that might be odd to say but the old security was quite scary and to be honest didnt feel safe, now i can genuinely say that i feel safe around them, they check cars on check points.
about airport road i have no idea how it is, i havent been that far.
you can really see the difference in everyone, just last week the boys from my street got together, cleaned our street,putted money together, painted the wall and are bring an artist to draw creatively, i havent seen such excitement and happiness in people before.
pls excuse my typing,in a bit of a hurry.

let me know if i can help with anything.
cheers

thank you so much all of you...I liked your spirit more than the information you gave...:-)
part of me does not care at all about politics and all; I want to be strolling up and down on Gargaresh....
How about Souk Talad, is it open? Not that I like that place, but last time I heard it was a scene of violent clashes??!.
Good luck to you all brave souls and thank you for spreading the good news.
fk

@Alex You are Hero and Brave heart stay safe there and Enjoy Freedom

Sorry to mention but Souk Thalat was on the crossfire between the fighters and the loyalists, therefore resulted in some minor damages on the outside glass. Nevertheless it wouldnt forbid them from opening again...

Souk Talath is open and functioning just fine was there last week, found almost everything I needed.

hopefully things will restore themselves back to normal, and life will get even better. hope u all will be coming back safely very soon:D

Miss Sukh Talaath very much......Especially my trips with my family every weekend.......and to the childrens play ground..

@Gernademan Hi there! Did you return to Misrata?

@aleksandra2319 Did your university open? Tripoli University is starting from 01-10-2011

hey, ive been told different stories everywhere, some say naser uni will start in january, others say in novermber, so im still pretty unsure. which one is tripoli uni? is it the one in siraj?

The official transcipt asks for the Universities to entertain students till 27th and for the studies to begin from 1st Oct 2011. Tripoli University is the former Fata University :)

Though there is some confusion as the management of Benghazi University is insisting to delay the start of the academic year as most of the students are out on the frontlines.

The university in seraj has already started by the way. More or less it depends on the complete liberation of Libya.

Thanks for all the info and updates....anxious to get back! and afraid to hear about a few "missing" friends. :(

Indeed this is a very sad picture. The casualties are very high in this war and it is a must that many of the people you know are just no longer there. You can just do nothing about it. Hundreds of sad stories you hear everyday but you have to look ahead and help our LIBYAN brothers rebuild the Libya for which they have sacrificed their loved ones.

@enraged1 ... thank you for your positive words there, the country truly needs alot of help since the previous regime was running it without an actual government in placed, so the rebuilding will start from scratch imagine that. And sure it will be no joke since alot have been taken to the front lines and sacrificed for a better living and a dream to change this previous way of living in such tyranny. Where anyone's voice would not be heard when talking for demands or truth.

Though as the days go by life here tends to get back on its feet and gets better everyday. Comparing this process of healing to other conflicts / situations feels like this has come out by far so lucky and guided without serious threats and instability until now. God bless Libya....

Indded God bless Libya and all who fought for her freedom!

@aleksandra2319 Thanks for all the information,tell me how about the safety of expats? any illegal treatment had been to Expats as i've heard a lot about how they dealt with expats in the last days before the freeing Tripoli.

aleksandra2319 wrote:

hey, ive been told different stories everywhere, some say naser uni will start in january, others say in novermber, so im still pretty unsure. which one is tripoli uni? is it the one in siraj?

Hi Aleksandra!!!  Glad to hear you and your family are safe.  Tripoli University is the new name for Al Fateh University - they couldnt wait to change the name!!!  LOOOL!!!  :-)  I hear many other street names are already changed as well?...SOOO cool!!  And that Burj al Fateh has been renamed Burj 17 February!!  :-)

I plan to make a short (1 month) visit back in mid December - mid jan, to catch up with local friends, celebrate with them, help out practically where i can, see what remains of my things (I lived in downtown and my boss was pretty good about keeping my stuff safe - but the GF raided our building sometime after we left, thinking "the foreigners" were running a satellite station from our roof!!!  LOOL!!! when they didnt find anything, they apparently bricked the whole place up!!!  so I am dying to see what's what!!!  ;-))  And then will be investigating possibilities for when i return permanently - hopefully next July or so....missing the place and my friends soooo much - cant wait to get back, and help rebuild where i can....  :-)

@Jenni The name is Burj Trabulus. They changed again :)

Here's some information I got from a FF thought some of you might be interested to know that September street will be known as "Sarkozy street", Jamahuriya street as "Cameron street" and there was another street he was talking about forgot the name but that he said will be named after the Qatar prince...DUH! :lol:

heard that Algeria mosque/square is renamed for Qatar

Nothing for the Turks :(

Not sure where they fit but I'm sure they'll be given a handsome chunk!

trex wrote:

Here's some information I got from a FF thought some of you might be interested to know that September street will be known as "Sarkozy street", Jamahuriya street as "Cameron street" and there was another street he was talking about forgot the name but that he said will be named after the Qatar prince...DUH! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

yeah ... and we will have also Obama street, servant street, a## kissers street, etc ......    poor poor Libya.

zlatan wrote:

yeah ... and we will have also Obama street, servant street, a## kissers street, etc ......    poor poor Libya.

That I'm sorry to say didn't make any sense!

Heyy! None of the above is true. Jazaire Square is still called Maidan el Jazaire. No street has been renamed other then the ones which symbolise Gaddafis coup. So relax a little. The revolution is still not jacked and hope it will never be.