Menu
Expat.com

Your 10 best tips to make friends when you're abroad

Last activity 06 May 2014 by Aruna Reddy

PastaPrincess

The thing is that the people my age or 2 years older here won't speak English and for me to learn Dutch it would take some time! Students aren't willing to help in my opinion they just want to be within each other and they kidn'f don't welcome foreigners. I'm the type who if felt unwelcome, i'll just walk away .. yes I'm shy if the first try didn't work I'd just walk away!

Mostafa samy

i was in turkey and croatia to make a friend it's very hard job because they thought that you are alien or different but for me respect is the most important thing then language if you speak their language it will be great and keep yourself away from troubles

Robyn_1

That about sums it up! I would add, do something creative and learn the local's technique. Ie knitting is universal; cuisine enjoyed by most everyone.

gjd

Take a class. I'm looking for yoga right now. Volunteer at a local language institute as a guest lecturer - that for me was a big hit.

JasfurJQ

well here in jeddah, we filipinos are so in to community group. whatever we do in Philippines we still do abroad, that how filipinos are creative. Like doing some stage shows, by that we meet lots of people in every corner of the city. every weekends we manage to see each other over and over again just to relieve the boredome or homesickness. We go beaches and create some sports affair where everyone can come and join. Sometimes we do programs that will benefit those who are in needs and many more at least by then we can start meeting some high society people who come and watch our shows but of course having friends, someone must have guts to win one.

mr.hoang56

Share your love, everywhere! Love to be loved!

dr.michel

you r right

HOD Drama

Woa... helpful tips, thank you smile.png

Challenger27

Hi Mr Julien,

I didn't find ten, I think these only two are sufficient:

- Not be shy
  - Tolerate differences

HaileyinHongKong

Hold the door open for someone.  This can start an entire conversation around here since no one ever holds doors open for anyone.

G-telware

I guess tips may helpful for me to make friends of  mine.

princess sandra

well!!!

all helpful and interesting, just don't forget smile smile smile to whoever and everywhere...and go to cafe for dining , lunch or breakfast..i can not cook well so its work for me..:p

HaileyinHongKong

Don't smile all the time.  People will think you're crazy.

Mostafa samy
HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Don't smile all the time.  People will think you're crazy.

If people want YOU to be their friend 50% of the battle is already won

G-telware

hey Mostafa samy,

I really like your post, the way of thinking and your thoughts about others. I really appreciate it.

Mostafa samy

The  most important is to be yourself because nobody likes fake people.

oxbridge

You should try out TEFL teaching! It's a great way to meet new people, build up relationships and share experiences big_smile.png

mose daniel

good tips,lol

Epicuriousannie

1. Join online community/networks
2. Be frienfly with the locals
3. Go to bars
4. Initiate a small conversation anywhere
5. Initiate a gathering
6. Write a blog abt your travelling
7. Go out explore the city
8. Learn the local language
9. Go to the gym
10. Join classes

ryan_tanada

helpful!

ccl_00032

Hey, this is awesome and really nice...

saimgee123

Invite your neighbors for male.
Visit public places
learn the language
join the social clubs
go to play grounds with kids

HaileyinHongKong
saimgee123 wrote:

Invite your neighbors for male.

I tried to invite my neighbors for male, but they were busy.

anwarv

nice topic... i enjoyed reading...

pda

good suggestions

aryavrat

Welcome to Expat-Blogs pda...........

Regards,
Anil

Laleiloli

Poor cvnutte, Paris is definetly one of the hardest places to make good friends!

Aruna Reddy

Through online social networking sites you can easily make friends in other countries and one more language if you know their language that will also useful.

Articles to help you in your expat project

All guide articles