Cost of living in muscat

Hi RavishP,

For an engineer with 8-years of experience in the Oil & Gas industry, your post is rather disappointing.

After all, you are educated and experienced enough. Without reading through the numerous other posts in the forum, you come and ask the same question which a semi-literate would post here.

Please take some effort to read the numerous and very informative posts and discussion on the subject of Cost of Living in Muscat and you won't have any further questions to ask. All possible answers have already been provided in the forum.

So help yourself to the wealth of information that is already available, please.

I am accountant (computerised) with10 and above years, I got offer from muscat OMR 260 and accommodation plus fooding. But not insurance, so I want to know that the above salary is sufficient for me  I can save the money.

Sumitran,

First of all sorry to disappoint you.

Really hoped that someone would help me out here.
Anyway as this thread is having 450+ replies it is difficult to find out which reply on "cost of living" section will suit you. Especially when there are people who are asking whether 4000+ OMR is good enough or not. And some of the replies which are 6-9 years old didn't help either.

Nevertheless, I'll go through all the entire thread and hopefully will not disappoint you again.

Thanks

RavishP wrote:

Sumitran,

First of all sorry to disappoint you.

Really hoped that someone would help me out here.
Anyway as this thread is having 450+ replies it is difficult to find out which reply on "cost of living" section will suit you. Especially when there are people who are asking whether 4000+ OMR is good enough or not. And some of the replies which are 6-9 years old didn't help either.

Nevertheless, I'll go through all the entire thread and hopefully will not disappoint you again.

Thanks

Dear RavishP,
It's not just this post. If you closely review the  Cost of living Section of this forum, there are total 6 pages of similar topics with numerous replies. On daily basis, people ask the same questions without doing a little RND. This is what  exactly we meant to let u understand.

Anyway, since you're in oil&gas and me too, i could evaluate your package as satisfactory (Though not tooooo welcoming). If you had been offered this amount + housing + other allowances, it would have been a very nice package then, yet its a good and considerable package which can support you in leading a comfortable lifestyle. Depending upon your spending, you can easily secure approximately 40 to 50% of your income.

arunangshu.ganguli wrote:

I am accountant (computerised) with10 and above years, I got offer from muscat OMR 260 and accommodation plus fooding. But not insurance, so I want to know that the above salary is sufficient for me  I can save the money.

Hi arunangshu.ganguli,

The salary offered to you is way too low. It's a pittance for someone holding your number of year's of prior work experience.

Even an illiterate local (Omani) will get more salary than what has been offered to you, as they have the 'minimum wages' clause.

Your salary is more akin to that of a blue-collar worker / manual laborer / casual worker's salary - certainly not for an experienced accountant.

Thank you very much Schaz for the reply.

This is precisely what I was looking for. I never wanted to know how much pack of milk will cost or a one time dinner will cost. I just wanted to know whether I'm being paid good or not based on general cost of living here. So that I can work out whether I should negotiate further or not.

I know this is not related to this forum but please can you let me know, for how much should an engineer with 8+ years of experience settle for? I mean as you said it is not toooo welcoming so what will be the package which can be considered at par.

Thanks again for the help.

RavishP wrote:

Thank you very much Schaz for the reply.

This is precisely what I was looking for. I never wanted to know how much pack of milk will cost or a one time dinner will cost. I just wanted to know whether I'm being paid good or not based on general cost of living here. So that I can work out whether I should negotiate further or not.

I know this is not related to this forum but please can you let me know, for how much should an engineer with 8+ years of experience settle for? I mean as you said it is not toooo welcoming so what will be the package which can be considered at par.

Thanks again for the help.

If you hold a petroleum engineering degree and you're offered a job in a "Contracting Firm", an average of 3k or plus would be considered as nice for this experience. However, if you're being selected at the "end user" company, that we say a "Client", your pay scale should be 3.5K or plus.

Since I don't know your engineering discipline, I just have assumed. It might be possible that based on your discipline, your package is almost near or around. Please note that the working system of OG in Oman is kinda different. Contractors pay a bit less than what the Client pays. Hope you get my point.

Dear Sir,
Just I want to know that can I go their with this salary or not, please confirm me.

Company :OTE
providing ; accomodation with benefits
Salary : negotiating
position : Assistant manager
qualification: B.E Mech
exp : 12 yrs
relocation : with wife and a kid
Please advise what should be salary for survive and as well save.

Sir,
So therefore my last question is How much salary i want to get from there if they are negotiable about the salary. And also remember you that fooding & Accommodation are appart from the salary.

Thanks & Regards
Arunangshu Ganguli

ahmedhvac2002 wrote:

Company :OTE
providing ; accomodation with benefits
Salary : negotiating
position : Assistant manager
qualification: B.E Mech
exp : 12 yrs
relocation : with wife and a kid
Please advise what should be salary for survive and as well save.

Hi ahmedhvac2002,

Demand a minimum carry home salary of R.O. 1,500/- after all expenses taken care of by the company.

Anything lesser than that would be a compromise.

Hello sir can you tell me that 120 OMR is good for living in muscat.
I am high school pass and offer as a waiter  from catering service they provide food, accommodation,medical. It's good or not

Hello Sir..
I got an offer as 550 Omr as basic salary + avg incentive as 130 omr/month, 250 omr as monthly rent. Apart from this the company is paying 20 omr as fuel allowance, 5 omr as mobile & 180 omr as car allowance. In total they are offering me 1200 omr/month. I have 13 years exp. in logistics field had worked in consumer durable & currently working in big automobile company . I am having a child of 1.5 years old. In india I'm earning 10.5 lakhs PA & wife is earning 3.5 lakhs PA, total of both 14 lakhs PA. I have done b.com & MBA(PART TIME) Pls. Clarify me this offer is fine or not....? How much i can save if i residing with my family..? What are the other details to be collect from the employer...? Pl. Help.

Hi ashishlg2006
I have just shifted to muscat and having similar offer as yours. And here 1bhk rent would be about 250-300 omr and in total you will be spending about 500 omr per month with simple lifestyle. So I guess you will be able to save 600-700 omr.
Plus your owife and your kind can first come on family visit visa for about 3 month and then can come on family visa. But then as i know your wife will not be able to work as her visa is more like a dependent visa registered to the employer.

So now you can calculate how much you are saving and how much you can save by this offer and evaluate the same.

I hope this answer clarifies some doubts.

Hi,im a doctor  have been offered a job as general practioner in oman.my salary would be 1000 OMR. and rent accomodation would be borne by hospital.(semi furnished accomodation).im unmarried,non drinker,non smoker,how much i would be able to save.my posting would be in al khuwair.

Hello,
I've been offered a job as Structural Engineer with 1000 OMR Salary+bachelor accommodation in Muscat. I have a few questions.
I've been living outside India for the past 6 years(South East Asian Countries). So expat lifestyle is not new to me. I want to know about about the Indian, especially Tamil community in Muscat.

How difficult and expenses for getting a driving license and getting a mid range car.

Approx expenditure for a happy bachelor lifestyle including cigarettes and booze once a week

Visa regulations about visiting/driving to neighboring countries like UAE, Dubai.

If I get married and bring my wife to Oman, what are the additional expenses I should worry about.

Can you give a glimpse about this alcohol permit or license.

I was informed that I will get a 2 day weekend, or only Friday off as per the job pressure, I would like to know if 2 day weekend is common or a myth in Oman.

How is the expat night life in Muscat for the south Indian community.

Further considering the above, how much money can be sent back home. Thanks

Cheers,
TK

picklu wrote:

Hi,im a doctor  have been offered a job as general practioner in oman.my salary would be 1000 OMR. and rent accomodation would be borne by hospital.(semi furnished accomodation).im unmarried,non drinker,non smoker,how much i would be able to save.my posting would be in al khuwair.

Hi picklu,

Given your lifestyle, you could save well over half of your monthly income.

Further details have already been discussed in detail in the forum.

thilakkumar.r wrote:

Hello,
I've been offered a job as Structural Engineer with 1000 OMR Salary+bachelor accommodation in Muscat. I have a few questions.
I've been living outside India for the past 6 years(South East Asian Countries). So expat lifestyle is not new to me. I want to know about about the Indian, especially Tamil community in Muscat.

How difficult and expenses for getting a driving license and getting a mid range car.

Approx expenditure for a happy bachelor lifestyle including cigarettes and booze once a week

Visa regulations about visiting/driving to neighboring countries like UAE, Dubai.

If I get married and bring my wife to Oman, what are the additional expenses I should worry about.

Can you give a glimpse about this alcohol permit or license.

I was informed that I will get a 2 day weekend, or only Friday off as per the job pressure, I would like to know if 2 day weekend is common or a myth in Oman.

How is the expat night life in Muscat for the south Indian community.

Further considering the above, how much money can be sent back home. Thanks

Cheers,
TK

HI thilakkumar,

You do have a lot of queries !

Getting a local driving licence is a huge hassle. It could set you back by about a thousand rials, at a conservative estimate.

Once you get your driving licence getting a car is a relatively simple affair. That should be no problem at all.

To be able to buy liquor (officially) you would need to have  liquor permit, issued by the Royal Oman Police. To get a liquor permit your company must issue you with a NOC, a salary certificate, and a few other documents. You can buy up to 10% of your monthly income with your permit. I have written in detail about the process of getting a liquor permit before, It is available in the forum. Locate and read it for details.

Cigarettes would cost you less than 1 rial for a 20s pack.

You can get a visa at the border to visit the UAE, as long as your resident card states that you are an engineer.

By law Fridays and Saturdays are weekly off days. It is then up to the employer and employee to decide if weekend working is required or not.

There is not much of an active nightlife in Muscat - whether for the South-Indian community or for anyone else for that matter.

Savings is entirely up to yo. No forum member can predict how much you can or will save.

Mr. Sumitran,

I got an offer from muscat which offering 120 OR..and accomodation, transport, local conveyances, utilities, medical will be provided by the company..

I read most of the posts and will not embarase you more asking that how much will i save from it..i will rather ask you this queation in a different way..

Is it enough??or compare this job with indian jobs..i mean to say if i am in india then which kind of job is equivalent to this job?? i.e. You have to tell me that " you will get Rs 5000 salary or you will get Rs 10000 salary or Rs 20000 with all facilities IN MEGACITIES LIKE MUMBAI OR BANGALORE..etc. etc.

Thank you..

sauvik wrote:

Mr. Sumitran,

I got an offer from muscat which offering 120 OR..and accomodation, transport, local conveyances, utilities, medical will be provided by the company..

I read most of the posts and will not embarase you more asking that how much will i save from it..i will rather ask you this queation in a different way..

Is it enough??or compare this job with indian jobs..i mean to say if i am in india then which kind of job is equivalent to this job?? i.e. You have to tell me that " you will get Rs 5000 salary or you will get Rs 10000 salary or Rs 20000 with all facilities IN MEGACITIES LIKE MUMBAI OR BANGALORE..etc. etc.

Thank you..

Hi sauvik,

Firstly, I will try not to take offence to your post.

But just be aware that I am in no way obliged, or compelled to respond to you. Yet, I will reply.

You must obviously be a blue-collar worker to be offered a package like this.

It is indeed very low and is very typical of what the manual laborers are provided by companies here.

I cannot do a comparison of what a similar package in India would be, since I am not familiar with the current job market there.

Suggest you read the Cost of Living forum for further details and clarity.

I  have a offer from a university in oman salalah as a assitant professor with a salary of 1700 OR, i will be coming with my wife and 2 school goin children. is it a good package. accomodation and all other expenses are to me borne by me. is it a good salary . Regards

Dear Sir,
Thanks for your valuable time and info.. Looking forward towards this work assignment as well as making new friends.
Thanks again..
Cheers,
TK

Hi Everyone,

I got a oppurtunity in muscat for 1500 OMR,I am single,I have to look for accomdations after 2 weeks.

Please let me know about savings and safety and I am person who spends normal and casual life style.

Thanks
Vishnu

zingor wrote:

I  have a offer from a university in oman salalah as a assitant professor with a salary of 1700 OR, i will be coming with my wife and 2 school goin children. is it a good package. accomodation and all other expenses are to me borne by me. is it a good salary . Regards

Hi zingor,

The salary quoted for a family of your size, with all expenses on you, is not really good.

But you will be able to manage alright, given the fact that you would be based in Salalah.

imvisnu wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I got a oppurtunity in muscat for 1500 OMR,I am single,I have to look for accomdations after 2 weeks.

Please let me know about savings and safety and I am person who spends normal and casual life style.

Thanks
Vishnu

Hi imvisnu,

Being single, you can save substantially.

What safety ?!? Oman / Muscat is perhaps one of the the safest places on earth.

i am interested in working in muscat, oman. i have a professional diploma in customer care and telemarketing. i also have over eight years in business development,  marketing and sales. i need a good job with nice working environment. i will like you to help me. i am 42years with my wife and 2 kids below 10 years old.

hello everyone,

i have a job offer to muscat oman. Full package was 900 OR housing and transportation are included in the package.
i'm single and i just want to know if its enough for me to save many? what is the best thing to do, i will rent a house outside muscat or not? how much would i pay for the taxi if rent a house inside or outside muscat? I don't know how to drive a car.Please advise me what should i do in order for me to save money. Is it enough for me to save? my lifestyle is average, i dont drink nor smoke. most important for me is internet connection to communicate my family.

thank you in advance for those who will generously give there time to reply.

is the rule exist that the drum test and slop test can be leave by attesting native country licence in oman

nhoj wrote:

hello everyone,

i have a job offer to muscat oman. Full package was 900 OR housing and transportation are included in the package.
i'm single and i just want to know if its enough for me to save many? what is the best thing to do, i will rent a house outside muscat or not? how much would i pay for the taxi if rent a house inside or outside muscat? I don't know how to drive a car.Please advise me what should i do in order for me to save money. Is it enough for me to save? my lifestyle is average, i dont drink nor smoke. most important for me is internet connection to communicate my family.

thank you in advance for those who will generously give there time to reply.

Hi nhoj,

For a bachelor, the package is pretty decent.

You cannot stay wherever you wish - unfortunately. There is little or no public transport and distances would be a hassle. So you must necessarily find your place of stay very near to where your office would be. It cannot be otherwise.

Unlimited broadband internet can be got for as little as R.O. 25/- to R.O. 35/- per month. For the rest of the costs refer to the many discussions and information available here in the same topic.

thalib wrote:

is the rule exist that the drum test and slop test can be leave by attesting native country licence in oman

Hi thalib,

Since of late, the Royal Oman Police have revoked this rule.

Now everybody has to do all the tests - eye, drums, slope, road - irrespective of whether they have a valid driving licence, or not from their home country (Asian, that is).

thank you very much sir

Dear Sumitran,

Greetings and wish you a happy Dussehra in advance. 

Recently, I have received an offer from a leading business group in Oman for
the position of Deputy Manager - Marketing. I have in all 10 years of work exp with
qualification as BE & MBA.

The employer has offered me 550 OR as basic, 37 OR utilities , 50 OR as conveyance allowance and company accommodation, family status in visa, medical all taken by employer and other benefits including return ticket for
self and family to home country once in a year.

I am married and have a 3 year old kid.

Request your help in evaluating this offer and share feedback on whether I should accept this.
I am looking for some international experience and that is the only reason to leave my current job.

With Warm Regards
Harshad.

I have 10 years of work experience

Hi Hrajopad,

For a B.E. with an M.B.A. degree holder with 10-years of experience, the salary offered is a pittance. More so for the designation 'Deputy Manager - Marketing'.

For your qualifications and experience, you should expect nothing less than R.O. 1,500/- in hand per month, with the company taking care of all your expenses like housing, transportation, etc.

Renegotiate with your company. If the company as you are saying is really a 'leading business group in Oman' then they would not be making such a bad offer to someone with your kind of an educational background and experience.

Seriously rethink about the offer. It is not good.

Hii All,
I have been recently offered a Job for the post of Production Head (Food) in a leading hospitality group in Muscat, Oman. I have an experience of more than 22+ years and hold a master's degree (MBA) from United Kingdom and some qualifications from the USA in my domain (all full time course). The HR has asked me about my expectation but I haven't send them any till now. I am 43 years old married with 1 kid. What should I ask ? I have worked with Blue chip companies in India (eg: Britannia etc as Factory Manager). Please guide me. Thanks a lot for all your effort and Inputs.  :)

Hi papa56in,

Given your educational background and experience, you should pitch for nothing less than R.O. 2,500/- to R.O. 3,000/- in hand every month, with the company taking care of your furnished accommodation, vehicle, petrol, utility bills, and all else. In other words, the income should be all savings minus your living expenses.

Dear Sumitran,
Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate your time.
Regards
Partha

Are there any online reliable shopping websites in Oman similar to Flipkart / Amazon in India?

Dear all,

Im balaji from tamilnadu.. Living in chennai... Having 7 years experience in business development.... Present designation is Asst. Manager Marketing... Received job opportunity from oman company. Due to lack of international marketing offered designation is Senior Engineer sales and Marketing.

Offerered Salary structures mentioned in offer letter as follows:

CTC per month is 1502 omr

Breakup of ctc is A+B+C

A.basic 700 omr will be deposit in my bank account

B. Estimated cost of facilities provided by the company
1. HRA 350 omr
2. Conveyance 120 omr
3. Medical 45 omr
3. Utilities 30 omr

C. Additionally company provides following an annual basis
1. Bonus 1050 omr
2. Family air fare cost 800 omr
3. Gratuity 350 omr
4. Visa expense 177 omr
5. Annual leave 700 omr
6. Insurance 10 omr

Company will provide car after passing oman license.
company furnishing the required facilities for home... Medical covering for my family....  After 6 months i can bring my family to oman. Annual 30 days paid leave with family air fare cost.

My family consist of wife, 45 days old son, my mom and me... Company is providing family visa..  so im planning to shift my family to oman

Company will not provide above part B in my hand... In this scenario howmuch i can save from the basic.. Please guide.

Presently my wife also working and considering her salary, my family savings in tamilnadu around 60,000 inr per month..

Whether if i shift to oman with this salary, it is worthable?...
Whether can get job in oman for my wife easily?..  She is BE cse graduate with 5 years experience..  please guide...

Dear Balajisd,

Through 2 separate postings and multiple edits , the questions that you have at the end are :

"Whether if i shift to oman with this salary, it is worthable?...
Whether can get job in oman for my wife easily?..  She is BE cse graduate with 5 years experience..  please guide..."

well if you scan through the other posts in the forum, OMR 1500 should be reasonably good. If you analyse , with a furnished accommodation and utilities being taken care of ....a moderate living would mean OMR 300 to 400 for the family (depending on your spending habits).

Given the current scenario of acute Omanisation, it will certainly not be easy for your wife to land a job.

Suggest go through other posts which should take care of most of your questions and then for the specific unanswered ones , please shoot in the forum and I am sure one of the more experienced members will pick it up and answer.

Best wishes

Best Wishes

Hi Balajisd,

For all practical purposes, consider your salary as R.O. 700/- per month, since that is the amount that is going to get credited to your bank account at the end of every month.

Since the company is taking care of the major costs like house, car, et al, you should be able to manage alright. For an idea of what to expect in terms of spends, you must go through the Cost of Living forum discussions. That would give you a pretty good picture.