Buy one dat ticket and get another for free

Do you know dear expats that Arriva made promotion: '...for the month of february and untill stocks last. anybody with a resident ID card who purchases a one-day ticket will be receiving two.' I think is not fair for foreiners, who don't have resident ID card. Different way to pay between local inhabitants and foreigners is not the way that make profit for Arriva company. It's like i rent car in Malta and i want to put fuel, i should pay twice price instead of local inhabitants?!!!??

This is unfortunatley the way it is until the EU decide if its fair or not... Again i could go back to the Rule in the UK that Pensioners travel for free on the buses... Ageism ??

Julian

The measure is that pensioners can use public transport for free is fair. But the question of difference between local people and foreigners, why it  works like this in Malta? Malta is considered tourist country. But the way how they charge foreigners says opposite. May be they should make busses for local people and for foreigners separatly? So it will be not offencive, all will be in the same conditions.

Am I missing a point here?
As I understand it, once one has decided to live in Malta you apply for an ID card as soon as possible to obtain the various advantages of having an ID card. This would include bus 'specials', lower utility rates etc etc? A 'foreigner' therefore would only be a tourist. Tourists in London aren't given the same 'specials' as UK residents. I amazes me how quickly 'foreigners' complain even though there is a solution to the problem. Maybe I'm not following the plot!:|

To apply for ID card??? :D If i am just a long-term student and i am from Russia how i should appply for ID card? I don't think so that is clue.

Fair point! I don't know how you can get round that - but, Malta is no different to the UK - foreign students or tourists don't get special deals unfortunately.

Hi Elena,

just a month ago you were looking for a job ? Are you back to studying in Malta as a long-term student? If so, you would qualify for an ID card as after 3 months you have to apply for residency.

Then it is no problem getting the cheaper Arriva bus rate and the 2 for 1 promotion.

Cheers
Ricky

:D Good memory Ricky :top:
Yes i gave it like example. So, doesn't matter if i'm  here like a student or not, and i was living in Malta for 3 months and going to stay here more it's mean i can apply for temporary residency?

there is no such thing as temporary residency - you are either a tourist or a resident

Hi Elena,

Can apply ? it means that after having lived in Malta for 3 months as a tourist you should have left or have applied for ordinary residence, just as an example. Conditions apply to be able to apply for ordinary residence . Immigration will want to know if you are a student, employed or economically self-sufficient.

Cheers
Ricky

But what if i have shuengen visa more then 3 months?

Hi Elena,

normally a Schengen visa is valid for a maximum of 90 days within any six month period. Maybe you have a different kind of visa ?

If your visa is valid for more than 3 months you are ok but you would still need to sort out residency.

Cheers
Ricky

do you mean i need residency to get advantages from it? :)

you need an ID card rather than residency, but if you apply for an ID card then you have declared you consider yourself resident, so legally then need to apply for residency

Thanks a lot Georgeingozo :D indeed

Hi Elena,

from what I can see you are from Russia but it is not quite clear what kind of visa you have.

As a third-country national you will actually need to be granted residency in Malta before you can apply for your ID card. At least that is the way it worked for my American partner - no residency - no ID card !-))

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Ricky, i need to check this info, anyway thanks for help :)

If you are 3rd country citizen, Ricky is right - residency visa first

Elena, I agree with you. What is wrong is Malta is part of the EU. My taxes in France pay and subsidize new roads, news buses. When I came here, I didn't find it was fair to get in the bus and being asked a maltese ID because I'm white and every time, Maltese look like pay automatically discounted rates. But some arabs look like Maltese and some maltese don't live in Malta.
In UK or in Europe, the Europeans pay more electricity?
Residency based rates is never applied in reality, you are jusdged by your origins which is discrimination.
I had compared showing maltese id card and yellow badge, it is different of course and consequences are not the same. But clearly, I'm not in favor of the discrimination and as an European, I hope EU will force Malta to change as a judgement in european court which said Malta doesn't comply with some human rights.
Since I bought a car, I've never had to take the bus and be considered a tourist who must show an id card and it has been a good investment for my mind.

Unfortunately I'm absolutely agree with you. I think such system is the shame for Malta!