Dog Groomers

Hello

Does anyone know much about the pet industry, particularly dogs, in Malta as we are intending to move over within the year and and want to start our own dog grooming business.  Is the market flooded with them or is there plenty of room for a new business?

Are dogs as pets as big over in Malta as in the UK and America?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

Iread somewhere that in Malta is not usual to see dogs.. most of the pets are cats.. :(

They may be wrong..

Good luck!

Hello
I visited Malta last year for a week, and I too was expecting loads of cats and very few dogs, but after staying in Sliema there seemed to be quite a number of dog walkers with Pedigree varieties.

I just need some statistics on number of dog owners, etc.

Thanks

Aires365 wrote:

Hi

Iread somewhere that in Malta is not usual to see dogs.. most of the pets are cats.. :(

They may be wrong..

Good luck!

there are somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000 dogs in Gozo and Malta (according to various studies done by govt, Dogs Trust)

justine2105 wrote:

Hello
I visited Malta last year for a week, and I too was expecting loads of cats and very few dogs, but after staying in Sliema there seemed to be quite a number of dog walkers with Pedigree varieties.

I just need some statistics on number of dog owners, etc.

Thanks

Hope so !

Im also am a dog lover :)

Cheers

Sounds like I have a good chance then.  That's quite a large number of dogs!
Thanks

Hi justine,

welcome to the forum.

Don't jump to conclusions. As many as there are dogs/cats around there are groomers around in Malta too ! Many animals get trimmed before the summer heat sets in so it is hard to get an appointment then but for the rest of the year things are quiet.

I'll ask a good friend who is a groomer about his opinion on business chances and get back soon.

Most of the time you don't actually see the dogs , just the dog poop in heaps of different sizes and quality.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi justine,

I talked to our cat groomer who also grooms dogs of course. The charge for full grooming is 25 €. His reply was a bit difficult to interpret but I know from experience that the market is seasonal and relies on regular customers. A newcomer might have chances in Spring/Summer when you might have to wait a week or two for an appointment. His business is run out of a pet supply shop and for a lot of the year I only see a pet being groomed now and again.

The actual number of dogs in Malta is not that important for the grooming market , more the number of dogs that need grooming and where the owners are willing to pay to have it done. Maltese dogs are typically short-haired and/or very small dogs that easily fit into the sink to be washed-)))

There are also mobile groomers who drive around and offer the grooming in their specially equipped van.

But I'll keep a look out to judge the dogs I see on the seafront. Maybe I can get a better insight into the business.

Cheers
Ricky

Hello Ricky

Thank you for your info and speaking to your friend.  The prices seems to be the same as the UK and I can understand the summer being the time to groom them too. 
I am looking at offering a mobile service or even out of my home.
I also bake pet treats so maybe this could be something that will keep me busy during the cooler months.

My husband is also looking at offering a yacht charter service as his own business in Malta for between 2 to 4 guests where they can be taken out for the day with lunch included; aiming for the luxury end of the market.

Any info on this as a business would be greatly appreciated if you know anything about yacht charters?

Thanks
Justine