Menu
Expat.com

Buying Chicken... Frozen Or Fresh....

Last activity 14 June 2020 by khanfaisalsaeed

Foodie_quest

I am doing a small work on understanding cultures & people, when it comes to the way they buy Meat and particularly Chicken...

How do you normally buy Chicken? Is it Frozen or Fresh from the Deli counter? What do ou prefer? What parameters are important when you buy Frozen meat from super markets? What all do you see, when you buy them?

Any information about Frozen Meat and how you use them will be very interesting to know...

can someone out there help? smile.pngsmile.png

Alliecat

I never buy frozen meat.  Ever.  Only exception would be a turkey for Thanksgiving in the US.

BAK

I usually get boneless frozen chicken. The brand name makes a difference and the convenience also has an impact on my choice. Since I also use other food items made by the same company, it provides me the comfort zone related to buying frozen chicken  of the same brand.

TheLegendLeads

Am not sure what do you actually mean by the term 'fresh'.
Long time back chicken shops were abundant. You had to choose one; get it chopped into pieces of the size per your accord. I call that thing fresh. Then one fine day, the municipality called for an immediate shut down of all that sad.png
The brand name does matter. I like the new introduction 'Al-Yom' (Arabic of 'Today')...As the name explains, it moves out of the butcheries every morning.

RedGoblin

@TLL: the "fresh" chicken shops that used to be available at that got converted to shops where the chicken is brought everyday from the farms. also called "chilled chicken" since its not frozen, just kept in a refrigerator. Its as fresh as you can get it. And they do  cut it up according to your requirements.

@foodiequest: the only way to buy meat is to get it as fresh as possible. If it drips blood, then it is fresh! tongue.png

TheLegendLeads
RedGoblin wrote:

@TLL: the "fresh" chicken shops that used to be available at that got converted to shops where the chicken is brought everyday from the farms. also called "chilled chicken" since its not frozen, just kept in a refrigerator. Its as fresh as you can get it. And they do  cut it up according to your requirements.

Nah! the taste is nowhere close. I always feel I'm eating tissue papers rather. May be psychological only smile.png

Princess MA

I find the frozen chicken takes long to cook and tastes much like rubber smile.png
The fresh is best!
As for meat, I always buy boneless veal and get them to slice some and mince some
There's no smell on the veal and it doesn't create that nasty "yellow water" while cooking that ive seen some meat do. although, when cooking sliced veal it takes about an hour to cook soft. The minced veal only a few mins.
I prefer tenderloin as this takes only about ten mins to cook but for some reason find it really difficult to find it.

khanfaisalsaeed

I buy Frozen Chicken From Al Raya. My most preferred brands are Seara and Sadia.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Saudi Arabia

All of Saudi Arabia's guide articles