African Americans Living In Senegal

Hi Regla.

I recently viewed your post written in 2012 and wondering if you are still on since this is 2018.  In any case, I am from Monrovia, Liberia and have visited or lived in several countries in West Africa but never Senegal. Went to college in the US as well.

I am thinking of visiting Senegal sometime this year, 2018, because I would like to finally focus on improving my French.  Can you recommend a reputable place in Senegal where I can attend? I've tried contacting the Baobab Center but there seems to be a problem with their website and I know of no other way to make contact with them.

Thanks, appreciate any direction you can provide.  I would also love to meet you if I end up visiting Senegal.

Much appreciation,
Kym

Hello Regina and thanks for writing! 

Yes I still live here and yes, I know of a study abroad program for french that includes room accommodations as well (private apartment, private bathroom, fully furnished with kitchen, wifi, ac, etc).  Look up StudyAbroad in Senegal and put in SenegalStyle French Language Program in google and see what you come up with.  I don't think this site will let me give you direct links.  There is a SenegalStyle French Language Program on Facebook as well I think. 

Feel free to look me up and write me in email. 

Sincerely,

Sineta George

Hello there in Senegal,

Thanks so much for responding to my email and for the recommendation as well.  Hope you are having a fabulous day.

Take care and I will be in touch as I know I will have other questions, lol

Kym

Thanks for the post. I am planning to move to Senegal with my husband in the next few years and I am hoping to run a business there. I'm thinking of solar energy. There have been so many advances. But I don't know what the regulations are for the installation of solar panels on homes in Senegal. Does anyone have any insights?

Hi Regla

we are from Canada wanting to move fairly soon; how is the situation with the COVID there?à

thanks!

Aimee

The situation here is good 👍

Peace & Blessings, Family!

I am also planning my move from the UK to Senegal, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of quiet places in Senegal to move too? somewhere safe to rase a family in..

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Hi Deborah, solar energy is a good business here in Senegal though they have good electricity unlike other African Countries.
About how to go about it, i think you should come and see first hand of the rules and see what it looks like to do business here.
Senegal is a cool country though.
Emmanuel

Senegal is calm and better . They listens to laws most times.

Yes nice places to live in Dakar as home, Sacre coeur, liberte 6, Amitie, marmel. There are so many beautiful places too but i think these are best because of its quietness and security

Hello my name is Hadija.
Thanks for the valuable information. Would like to ask further questions, for example, please post about possible daily issues like water and electricity. What is the best way to store food from weebles, like flour and dried pulses.
We have land near M'bour. The plan is to have a small vegetables farm, some live stock.
What's the daily salary paid  to farm workers and to ladies to assist me in the home.

Thank you.

Do you still live in Somone? This is where I'm thinking of relocating to. Dakar is lovely but I like quiet and Somone is so peaceful while still being somewhat close. I'm scared to buy land because I know people sell fake titles and stuff. What is the best way to purchase land? Did you build or buy a house already built? What's cost of building if you know? All help appreciated.

Wow that's scary...the part about the ones that became dirt poor.
I visited twice this year, I noticed also cost of living is like US. Maybe slightly cheaper. That's scary when pay scale is so poor. I am also a teacher, have always had dreams of starting a school. How well are private tutors paid? You mentioned allowing children to finish school in the states first. I find US education pretty poor unless you are paying for it or living in a good school district. We have been homeschooling / unschooling for years, so I am not sure how well they would transition and if we should continue homeschooling with help from tutors. I also wonder how well they would pickup French and Wolof just from playing with neighborhood kids.

Did you end up staying in Somone? I have same plan. To live in Senegal 3/4 of the year or so and come back a few months to visit my family and adult children. I have 3 under 18 now.

Somone is that far? I thought it was only like 45 min. I'm tripping! LOL

I see I am hitting reply but the original post is not appending. Sorry if my questions are not making sense.

Also wanted to share a driving service for anyone in need in the Dakar area. M. Yaya Sall - he speaks English very well and has daily car rental with himself as the driver. He also has a larger vehicle with good rates for school transport if more than 2 students.
221-77-661-8553

Good morning the best way is to live a few months in the country so that you know the people and habits of the country never trust immediately am originally born in Senegal it's a nice place to live everywhere good luck

Thanks for your tips. I agree that it would be prudent to visit for a while and get a sense of the lay of the land. Making plans for a visit next August.

Hello and hope that you are well.

Just read your post and contacting you to request  information  on African Americans who are living in Senegal.
I was born in the Caribbean and hoping to relocate to Senegal next year. I would like to source information and build up a network for socializing prior to my arrival in Senegal.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Hadija

Greeeeeaaaat day lady AminA!

How are you? I am Pamela aka Queen PJ.  I AM an African American.  I am looking to buy a house in Saly.  I have visited Senegal more than several times and decided that I want to purchase a house in Saly. 

I want to turn my house into an airbnb and build it up with vibes from Brooklyn and jersey city. I would like to know the dEEds in owning property as an African American and what I should know first and ask questions about when it comes to the person I am purchasing from please and thank you? 😊

Warmly,
Queen PJ
Blessings 🙌🏾

Hello Queen,
I am checking in with you from London UK to greet U.  How ya doing girl?
I was born in the Caribbean and hoping to live in Senegal  towards the end of next year.                         We are hoping to farm along with two rooms for tourist rentals. Would like to keep in contact with you to exchange.

Hadija

Hey 👋🏾 sis! Awesome! Please.  Let's keep 8n town. We are in this together.  Let's chat some more. Have you been to Saly? What part of Saly? I have to check this chat more often.

Hello and hope that you are well. Give thanks that all is good, tho freezing in UK.
Will contact you via email.
Stay Bless
Hadija.

Email is ***
Thanks. Stay warm. 🙏🏾

Moderated by Cheryl 2 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, do not post your contact details on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Posts with contact details are removed as soon as seen my any team member

Oh. So sorry. My apologies.  I will read them again.

Thank you. So sorry.

Hello Sistah. How ya doing?

My name is Dembane , I am a linguist and teacher of Wolof. It's been years now that I have been teaching Wolof online.

Hello Regla,

Hope all is going well in your world. Just came across this post and checking to enquire if the group is still functioning.
I was born in the Caribbean, was living in the Gambia and hoping to relocate to Senegal towards the end of this year. 
We plan to farm.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Hadija

Hello ,
Can I help you by teaching Wolof's class for cheaper prices or packages.

Hello

Hi. I am also new to Dakar. Still house hunting.  I'd love to have some social contacts from « back home » just to dish with and maybe get advice and pointers (like how to manage harassing housing agents!)

It would be great to keep this chat alive!
Hello and hope that you are still enjoying.  Can't offer any advice on accommodation but I am hoping to relocate there soon and will be looking to network.
I have reached out in this group for information, but I have found the response to be less than what is vital to me in a new country.
I am wondering where other newbies have found info on renting, setting up bank accounts, grocery shops, medical. The list of questions is endless but necessary.  Maybe we could a create a ' necessary' page.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Hi! I'm too new to comment on much. Hopefully y the time you're planning to come, I will have more advice to offer.

(I think the post would have better reception if it was reordered to show most recent chats first. I almost didn't join, but then I. Priced that the dates were getting more recent so just fast-forwarded to the end.)

It's a bit hectic for me right now with work and house hunting, but I'll try to keep up (and reach out to the administrator to reverse the postings)

Good luck with your planning.
@Amnesty1  yes those  post  take a bit of digging through.

I joined a face book group  African Diaspora in Senegal.
@Amnesty1 Hi
you can contact, but i'm in Mbour
No worries.
@Amnesty1
Are you still looking for a house? I think there is a branch here that talks about housing, you can take your time to search for it. There are many agents who can help it depends on the area you are looking for a house.
Mermos,dakar Plato, sacre coeur, point A, Mamel, liberte etc. There are nice areas