New immigration policy ... again (2 Jul 12)

This morning, I was stopped at the immigration counter and told that if I do not have a return ticket to my home country, I cannot enter HCMC!!! In lieu of that, I need a visa.

I have been coming in and out of HCMC every month for the past 6 years. Never happened before. ASEAN visitors can stay for a month - so what's with this nonsense again???? Of course, I'm told all will be fine if I pay a "fine" - what else is new here?

My friend arrived last Friday without a return ticket - and went thru with no problem. Today, I saw the immigration officers asking for proof of return tickets at 2 counters.

Can anyone enlighten us on this newest policy?

There is no new policy as such, just different practices as reinforced differently from staff to staff.

Two weeks ago, I told the immigrant officer that I would fly out the next day (which was true). He accepted it without protest.

Last week, I was asked that I needed to show return ticket even I told them I would fly out soon. I told them I didn't have it yet. He complained and said I needed one. I told him I had been in and out of the country for so many times all without overstaying. He let me in without further complaints.

Having said so, if you enter a country under the visa exemption rule, you should be prepared to show either your ability to support yourself in the country (enough cash, hotel reservation/prepayment) AND/OR return ticket.

I have seen it practiced in many other countries, including the US and various European/Asian countries.

A lot depends on your country of origin, Ask Indian and Nigerian nationals.

I suspect you didn't arrange your stopover (transit) through your airline. They arrange for your passport to be retained and a piece of paper issued by immigration permits you to remain within so many kilometres of the airport and to stay at an airport area hotel.

And wordprocessing an e-ticket doesn't work any more as the bastards now call the airlines to confirm.

There are some visa free entry points in VietNam but none that cover entry by air.

Alternatively it might be a new boss doing the equivalent of a dog peeing on a lamp post and letting people know who is charge.