Opinions on the 'Friend' lists?

What do the rest of you think about others just 'adding' you as a friend without having made any contact? 

I am shocked (!) to sometimes see myself as people's (always men) friend when I've never even spoken to them and have no idea who they even are. 

Some men come to this forum just to collect women 'friends,' it seems.

Men will always be men .... didnt you know?

Alliecat wrote:

What do the rest of you think about others just 'adding' you as a friend without having made any contact? 

I am shocked (!) to sometimes see myself as people's (always men) friend when I've never even spoken to them and have no idea who they even are. 

:lol:

It is a feeding ego process, I guess
http://www.ehow.com/how_2172278_feed-his-ego.html

poor me never been added lol

Nurturing ego is something that all human beings, male and female, enjoy. Its a fact of life and very human, indeed. Nothing wrong with itr except that it can be misused to rip someone off when someone has nefarious and ulterior motives. The key is to be true if you wanna do it right.

I happened to me in this list.. But some other way !

A man big muscles added me :)) without any previous history in common...

The most interesting for me his picture.. arms with muscles, a hairy chest and his belly was visible..

In any social networking, discussion forums, or interactive group websites it kis the onus of the individual to accept or reject a call for friendship or contact list adds. Everyone has the right to request an add as much as everyone has the right to reject it.

Musicman,

That is exactly my point!  We don't have the option to reject such a request on this site!!!

BTW..aticus.. congrats on your new friend :top:

Disgusted me, a kind of nightmare..

By the way, there is an option to BLOCK that user

Hi guys,

Note that we will reprogram this feature in 2010 ... (I agree with Alliecat and musicman)

At the very beginning it was supposed to be a "contact" list, not a "friend" list, but I think we'll turn this into a friends list very soon (sorry if my message isn't very clear, I am quite tired after a 12 hours flight)

Hey Julien,

Where were you traveling from??

And Happy New Year! :)

France to Mauritius ;)

Happy New Year !!! :)

awesome effort Alliecat :D

and thanks for always being here Julien ;)

No effort, Salman :)

But I wonder:  if I block people, they can't contact me but do they still have MY pic as their friend/contact on their profile?  (it doesn't bother me much now that I've got the 'elvis kitty' pic but it did when I used my real pic.)

whats in a pic? a pic with any head is still only a pic. and everyone knows wat ppl can do with photoshop. so what?

a man who uses clipart asks what's in a pic ?!?

Maybe if you were using your real pic, mm, you'd know what I'm  saying.

Alliecat wrote:

But I wonder:  if I block people, they can't contact me but do they still have MY pic as their friend/contact on their profile?

Yes indeed ... but I'll sort this out very soon ;)

Let there be drums....

Yess, freedom to drums and pics :)

yeah and I notice that now aticus has ditched his real pic and is using some kind of drunken kitty photo (horning in on my cat personna!!)

:lol:

Liberalize the "cat personna", let's get unified against the monopoly attempts on it.. :0)
United Lazy Mediterranean Cats

monopoly attempts

:lol::lol::lol:

wats all this puzzy talk about?

musicman wrote:

Let there be drums....

Is that an AC/DC quote, good sir?

i m 100% agree......one of the victim :)

Julien!!!!

rather having "block" option , is it possible to have option like in FB-- "Remove" from the list. If the persons are removed from the list they cann't access to any details of member for ever unless if they saved their deatils before.

"Alliecat" So many poor guys added u with out seeing ur profile  ----- oopssss

This is main problem of social sites like FB and so

FB  has problem of adding friend's friend -- but it makes sense when some one got to know something (basic info)about them before they are gonna add them.

sweetchoice,

check your math. you're an idiot. oooops.

And unlike many others, I made it a POINT to include the year of my birth so I've got nothing to hide.

I have edited my last message -- seems you were angry ( about age issue) -- since we both have same birth date i have done this

what u say me idiot-- ok

The contact list issue will be sorted out very soon.

Thanks for comparing Expat.com to facebook, I guess we could do fantastic things if we could have their budget (I am the only programmer of this website at the moment).

I don't know if I should moderate the last messages, I'll start closing this discussion.

sweetchoice,

I'm not angry about an 'age issue.'  I was annoyed that you added ten years to my age and incinuated that I couldn't possibly be considered attractive or desirable.

You might be interested to know that there are many older men on this forum who prefer women in their age range; plus, there are  plenty of younger ones who value the qualities of a woman older than themselves.    Shall I use the quote about 'fine wine' ??  lol

Alliecat wrote:

Oooh, baby...come be my friend.

Cheap opening line, huh?  Well, it's cybergeeks version of a cheap opening line...
adding you in the hopes of being more friendly, I guess.

Alliecat wrote:

Damn!  Found out again!:(

When will this end?:mad:

:P

You know, AC, I don't even know how to check if any one has added me as a friend.

On other forums I've used, someone can request to add you, but it's your decision to accept or deny.

Here, MS, you just get a msg. that you've been added and have the option of adding THAT person, too. 

And yes, on other forums you have the option of accepting or declining the request.

Well, when I thought about this feature, it was supposed to be a "contact list" and not a "friends list".

I was meant to allow members to contact other people on the other side of the planet. How could you be "friend" with someone you don't know and who lives on the other side of the planet ?

I'll soon turn this feature into a "friends list" very soon, in an usual way, with confirmation and all.

Allicat,, when i read ur profile i have seen ur counting numbers (page counter)--- that time it showed that number

I just had look of ur birth year. with out calculating my self i just wrote that (counter) one -- sorry again

I never tasted old or fine wine since it is prohibited for us . but what i heard that those wines are great ( just to compare only)

people used to tell me --- "old wine but in new bottle "

I talk like old but still in early stage of life

It is great to know -- which age group of people utilizing social sites more -- i have started differnent discussion on this subject let us discuss there.

:offtopic::offtopic::offtopic:

Hey CAF.. this is what went around a few months back.

I see.  So glad Julien is going to take care of this issues.  Its very disturbing!

I see.  So glad Julien is going to take care of this issues.  Its very disturbing!

Its very disturbing!

Yep, I agree!