How are Brazilians co-workers? Tips on coping at work

Hello everyone!

I was wondering about differences in work between Brazil and other countries.

Does anyones have some thoughts about how colleagues relationship are in Brazil, and tips on what we should know about it before getting on the work market here?

Emilie

Hi Emilie,

The topic of the work culture in Brazil is pretty complex and depends a lot on the geographical area you're working in and the type of work.

Generally speaking São Paulo and Rio won't be very much different than what you're already used to. Other parts of the country can be a bit problematic.

Regarding the workplace, a few do's and don'ts.

1. Don't assume that since Brazilians are a kissy, huggy, touchy, feely people by nature that this carries over to the workplace. It does not. A simple handshake will do. If you do hug somebody or they hug you don't get carried away with it.

2. Don't chew gum in the workplace, it is considered the height of rudeness in most places.

3.  Treat your co-workers with respect and they will in turn respect you. Give them credit for their work and let them know their contributions are important.

4. Never take credit for something that someone else has done. If your boss credits you with something by mistake, set the record straight right away. The person who really did the work won't see you as a threat, but as an ally.

5. Don't assume what's funny back home will be equally funny here. There's a vast cultural difference and your Brazilian co-workers might miss entirely the point of a joke that would have them rolling on the floor in North America. Some phrases for example just don't lend themselves to translation or lose their subtle meaning when translated.

6. Be very careful about gestures. There are some things that in North America, the UK and Europe mean one thing and something completely different here. Some have very bad, insulting meanings. For example the 'universal' OK gesture of making a closed circle with the tip of the thumb and index finger and the other three fingers raised means something VERY OFFENSIVE here in Brazil. Don't use it. I can't tell you how many times, even after knowing, I've made that mistake just out of habit. I've always been very embarrassed.

5. Small talk is very important in the workplace, especially with people you've just met and before business meetings for example. It's always a good way to break the ice. Try to stick to safe topics, unless you're really up on sports try and avoid talking about soccer (futebol), avoid politics and religion.

6. Brazilians are hyper-sensitive when it comes to criticsm, especially criticsm about the government or bureaucracy, so tread lightly. For a culture that accepts people from all over the world they oddly seem to express an attitude that, regardless of how long we've been here in Brazil, we're just visitors and we don't have a right to form or express negative opinions especially about the government and bureaucracy. They tend to take it as a personal attack.

7. Socializing with co-workers is quite common, but it is usually restricted to a quick drink or two after work. Rarely will someone invite a co-worker to their home for dinner for example. If you do get such an invitation consider yourself extremely honored and NEVER refuse. Always bring a swmall gift; a bottle of wine; flowers for the co-worker if female or for a male co-worker's wife, etc.

8.  Business gifts should be nice but inexpensive. Giving a gift that is very expensive will often cause the receiver to feel you're imposing some kind of obligation or expect some favor in return; or it will just be embarrassing for him/her.

9. Brazilians are crazy for postcards, if you travel (especially back home or to some other country) make sure to bring back lots of postcards and pass them out like candy, you'll score lots of 'Brownie points' that way.

10. Being direct - While Brazilians expect and appreciate honesty in their day-to-day transactions with those around them; saying EXACTLY WHAT YOU THINK in every given situation is not always a good thing to do. If your co-worker asks what you think about an idea or a task he/she's doing and you think it's pretty lame, don't come out and say so. Try to approach your answer from a different angle like..."What do you think would happen if you did _______?" "Do you think it would be easier and more effective to _______ ?" something like that. Always try to negotiate a changed approach and leave your co-worker thinking it was his or her idea.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Thanks WJ!!

Very appreciated. So I am not the only one who noticed how overly sensitive Brazilians are about criticism and straight-forward communication.

Gotta work on my social skills. Gosh its hard never saying what you think. Don't know if I will get there one day. It really annoys me to talk that way. 

And didnt know about the chewing gum one...oups! Did it a couple of times for sure!!! And I thought they looked strange at me when I offered others lol

Cheers

Emilie

Hi Emilie,

I guess I should start compiling notes to write a book..... A Million and One Things They Never Tell You About Brazil.

hehehehehe.

It will probably be a best seller!

Cheers,

Or Million and One Things You Should Never Tell Brazilians About Brazil

Haha that would be mine :)

Hi Guys, I was surfing through posts here and caught a remark about an expat with Brasilian citizenship being able to apply in concursos, like gov't, education, etc.

If this is the case, how does one find them and do this? Thanks.

Texas John in Minas

I can point out Brazilians are also very curious about habits of foreigners, and also tries at every opportunity to include the "foreigner" in their circle.

Emerson

Hi mccjohn,

Sorry, I don't understand your question. Do you want to know about the naturalization process, how to become a citizen?

Or, are you already a naturalized citizen who wants to find out how to apply for the concursos?

Cheers,

Hi William,

(Love your posts!).

I'm the latter: already a naturalized citizen who wants to find out how to apply for the concursos.

Since my mother was a Brasilian citizen when I was born I'm a citizen as if I too were born here. Have all docs, passport, RG, CPF, voter, drivers license-to-kill, little blue Mao work book, certificate of citizenship all nicely stamped... etc.

Thanks!

John