Menu
Expat.com

Can a man and a woman be JUST friends?

Last activity 25 December 2013 by kishwerbaqar

Gravitas

Women can easily be even best friends with men.  Not every man can make the distinction though - it's more difficult for men than women to be JUST friends.  However, women are very supportive and great around men they do not feel "attracted" to. They risk being "dumped" once a girlfriend comes onto the scene.  But nevertheless - I think the very best friendships are between men and women who just like one another and nothing more.

catherineancheta14

this is a natural phenomeno since we have the so called PLATONIC RELATIONSHIP..indeed i'm into this kind of relationship for 12 years now. we both value our friendship.

Dita Mignonesia
Hericles wrote:

Can a man and a woman be JUST friends?

Yes. When one of them is unattractive or Ugh Lee OR already have someone else he/she just wont leave. Hihihi tongue.png

Jafar

it is difficult for me

Dadasuprem

I just say everything is possible but in this case I think that a friendship beetween a man and a woman begin because one of the both feel good being with his friend. It's exactly what we look for in a couple, it's reason why there is only one footstep between this friendship and sex relation.  Just the time for one to pass through is fear and tell about his real sentiment.

freedom77

it is possible...

sara_choudary

i think yes possiable very much there are work relation matter alot

fallenangel124

If man and woman can be friends then...
why do they fall in love? and get married? and have kids?

HaileyinHongKong
fallenangel124 wrote:

If man and woman can be friends then...
why do they fall in love? and get married? and have kids?

Are you serious?

catherineancheta14

You guys who say that men and women can't be friends, why don't you get married with your sisters, cousins, aunties ? they are also women right?

ElAmäli

Of cause ! No matter men or women can be simply friends!We have too freinds at work or school or ect..Certainly it can be possible that one can be loved but it depends on so many Conditions and Factors.Each will know how he can go further or not.And  I do not mind to have male friends and feamle ones too.We need Freindships because it is our social world.

Vent

2 all.
it depends on the time, itmeans that in some periode, they can be only friends, and some other time, they can feel in love,
Are you agree with me?
Nice eto hear from you?

ElAmäli

no ,i do not think so.Someone  even till the end of the world they are still  only just normal freinds .

narz4u

yes,can be..

damora

It can be ..but most of the case it turn to a wrong direction ;(

croatiancorner

i think yes, man and woman can be just friends

calipoazul

I have one story like yours but the ankward feeling passed and we are still great friends, and we have evolved.

BenjaminVasosky

Sure. Most of my closest friends are lovely ladies who will always provide company for me or my children.

mpatti65

Hi, well yes you can just be friends. The trouble start's when one of the friends, starting seeing the friend as more then just a friend,and the other just want's to be friends. Tyhen thats called being in love all by yourself.and thats not any fun at all.Mark

HaileyinHongKong

If they can't be friends, what are all those topics of people saying they're looking for friends really about?

James
The Loner wrote:

Nobody but Nobody can choose a person to feel attracted to, I read cases in which friends of the opposite sex felt for each other. attraction is not a choice. Geez it seems like Mr. wjwoodward never had been a teenager once.

Actually you are quite wrong on both counts. EVERYTHING we do in life, EVERYTHING that happens is subject to our choices. We are not like a helpless cork floating in an ocean and waves carry us to wherever they wish.

Secondly, quite obviously I was a teenager. But even then I know that I had choices. You know some people get an irresistable urge when in high places to jump. They choose NOT to do so because they know in life there are all kinds of things that we want to do or can do, but that doesn't mean that they are good for us or that we SHOULD do them.

Hint:  Your age doesn't necessarily equate with maturity.

zhxuc41

yes i think wound be possible

HaileyinHongKong
wjwoodward wrote:

Actually you are quite wrong on both counts. EVERYTHING we do in life, EVERYTHING that happens is subject to our choices. We are not like a helpless cork floating in an ocean and waves carry us to wherever they wish.

Secondly, quite obviously I was a teenager. But even then I know that I had choices. You know some people get an irresistable urge when in high places to jump. They choose NOT to do so because they know in life there are all kinds of things that we want to do or can do, but that doesn't mean that they are good for us or that we SHOULD do them.

Hint:  Your age doesn't necessarily equate with maturity.

It almost sounds like you don't base your entire worldview on things you read in blogs.  That will just confuse this guy.

Lora1

Yes, i believe a man and woman can just be friends.
However, they sometimes end up being attracted to each other and this happens when they exceed the limits of what we can call friendship.

rc206

Yes they can .As long as you don't try to do this with your ex's .If you are say best friends with your ex wife or ex husband.This will cause many problems with your foture relationships or next spouse.Nobody wants to see or gere about your past relationships.It's just not health to the next one.

The Loner

Let me illustrate why they can't be friends nowadays:

Typical conversation with a woman:

M: Hi there,what's your name? care for a drink?

Woman thinks: (Oh not again, this is the 90th guy who approaches me, does he want to get in my pants? is he staring at my cleavage? they won't leave me alone, does my butt look big in my short dress?...)

Typical conversation with a man:
Man: Hey what's up have you seen how Real Madrid has become the top football team? I mean it beat Chelsea 3-1
Man2: Hell yeah, I can wait for their match against Barcelona tonight, the next round of drinks in on me!...

rc206

Sounds like something a woman would say about another woman and about another man! lol  A lot of guy's would be saying " man I would like to get in her pants and nice bunda"!!!!! A lot of women would say " he has such nice eyes or has such big hands "  .  ahahahah

Khuyen nguyen

men and women can be friend on bed ...

The Loner
rc206 wrote:

Sounds like something a woman would say about another woman and about another man! lol  A lot of guy's would be saying " man I would like to get in her pants and nice bunda"!!!!! A lot of women would say " he has such nice eyes or has such big hands "  .  ahahahah

I couldn't agree more, and women here are such hypocrite when they say they can be friends with men, I bet if you approach them they'll think exactly what I've written and reject you...they are insane.

catherineancheta14

As per my suggestion. opposite gender could not b friends. because first they become friend. then sex and later on finish the friendship. IF any one want to make friendship with opposite gender. he should make nice friendship with her mother,sister, daughter and wife. Female relations are fruitful only in the above 4 parameters. if any female go beyond these parameters she would be considered for sex.
sorry if anyone is not convince with my suggestion.

sintacid3ngwinata1960

In the beginning each one of them may say yes we can only be friends, but time has a way of changing things, but still it depends on the circumstances and that is complex.

rc206

Hi, I have several women that I have been friends with for years .I think of them as sisters though.I have never thought of them as a girl friend though.They are American women.I am more interested in South American women.

Piyo

Yes, sure. However, if u have a close friend or best friend then this relationship develop to lover , be careful if it breaks, u will lose ur best friend big_smile.png

mal

If the guy is not handsome, YES:D

HaileyinHongKong

This is like that Little Rascals episode where Spanky or Alfalfa constantly complains about how gross girls are and then wonders why they don't like him.  Except that those children were funnier and a lot smarter.

The Loner

I have lived in both rich and modest neighborhoods.In the rich neighborhood there were these absolutely graceful and gorgeous women (they are overloaded with attention all their lives) who I'd mostly seen them friday nights or weekend nights but never in normal days. I learned that they would only hang out with their own social circle of wealthy and high society friends, also basically they were unreachable. If I happened to cross paths with them they wouldn't greet, smile or even look. Trying to befriend them would be even harmful to you, they would make you feel worthless, you would end up deeply hurt and feel bad, they are ruthless to the core.

On the other hand, curiously women in modest neighboorhood developed the same bad traits they would treat any man who'd approach them wiht disgust unless they belonged to their social circle.
Evidently this pattern can be seen in almost all countries worldwide

norahk

i guess depending on ones mentality and intuition.
as a women i say yes but for men it could be: why not, yes, of course not

stumpy

Loner

I tend to agree with the first part of your post regarding rich women.

I do not agree with your last paragraph about poorer women. In my 45+ years of living and working in developing countries I find quite the opposite. Poorer women do not treat one with disgust as you state but with reservation as you are a stranger to them and according to social protocols they cannot approach you. If you try they will not acknowledge you until you are introduced by someone they know. 

Incidentally how much experience have you had with other races and in what different countries have you lived and travelled ??

rc206

I don't know where you have traveled or the women you have met.You are sterotyping all women in a few groups.Just like no two people are the same.No two women are.I have met the good ,bad,the gold diggers etc.. I have found with many women that I have met.It has a lot to do with.How a man cares himself.Please don't take this the wrong way.I have noticed this with many of my clients.They visit other countries.They think relationships will be different but if they don't change then nothing else will. If you act like a worm or a victim then you get treated that way.I have also noticed with the invention of the internet.It has become more popular for many people to be dishonest.More gold diggers!I am an average looking guy that is 52 years old. I live in Austin Texas. The women in America and say Brazil are very different in many ways.Many of the women I know in America are looking for the perfect guy! Which doesn't exist. In Brazil .Many of the women are happy to find a guy that treats them good and is faithful and has a job.Though more and more women in Brazil are getting to be more Americanized ! As for rich women.Many have their guard up against guys who want to steal there money.A lot of rich people are raised to marry other rich people. As for men and women just being friends.It happens all the time.If you are just friends then their is no sex.The problem is in many friendships.Somebody starts to fall in love with the other friend.This is why it doesn't always work.I have several women that have been my friends for many years.We have no prpblems.The people that say it can't work.Are people that have no self controlled! lmao   Anyways ! I have spent way too much time on this question. Back to look for beach house in South America! Merry xmas This is just from what I have noticed and not every body is like this !!!!!Everybody have a merry xmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HaileyinHongKong

I don't think people without friends are qualified to discuss this subject.

Articles to help you in your expat project

All guide articles