Menu
Expat.com

Belize vs USA - Cost of Living

Last activity 19 November 2013 by msdeb51

kristinanadreau

we brought things and a car.   Should have brought only a little.  Bring fine linens for bed and bath.  toothpaste and paper plates and ant traps/baits.  mosquito repellant.

Brigitte B

Ecofriendly Solutions makes a great product. The plates, cutlery and cups hold up awesome and don't get soggy. Products are made from corn starch. We use their trash bags as well.
https://www. facebook.com/ecofriendlysolutionsltd/photos_stream
I bought bamboo towels at Mirabs and we love them. (Same brand I have in Canada)
Brought sheets in over the years, but lately I have seen good quality ones at Mirabs as well.
Dave's Furniture World carried some Martha Stewart towels and sheets.

Nichi

Brigitte - I notice that you are from Cayo. When I was scouting the SI area, I did find that the choice and availability of household items was much better there than in Corozal.
I think that when you live in Corozal, most people go across the border into Mexico to get what they can't find in the local shops. SI's and BC's larger population  probably accounts for the larger selection than what we can find here.
Other than my laptop and some internet wifi and specialized VoIP phones and electronics - I have, so far, managed to find everything in Belize.  I would find it hard to justify spending thousands on shipping and then duty, unless the items have sentimental value to you and you want them with you.

Brigitte B

I agree with you, Nichi! I can also see some people moving to another country wanting to be with or be surrounded by familiar things. And for QRP'ers, there is no duty.
And you are right about availability in Cayo and Belize City. Between the city, San Ignacio, Belmopan and Spanish Lookout you can find pretty much everything.

2flyaway

This is good to hear that so much is available if one is willing to look a little. I think that people in North America have got used to the big box stores (i.e. Walmart as an example), and like the connivence of having so much in one store and available at each store. Certainly that is a feature of these stores.

I am trying to get away from large retailers, and support locally owned businesses. I believe that they are more responsive, more of a personal relationship, and it keeps more of the money local. It encourages people locally to have businesses themselves, which builds the middle class, and upper middle class.

It is a philosophy I have that locally owned is better. So I am all about doing what the rest of you have said. When I move there in a few months I will need to learn where to be looking.

kristinanadreau

If I had it to do over, (meaning if our circumstances had changed).  I would not bring a car here.  I would buy a Kia, 4 cyl diesel, 4 dr, pick up truck with big tires/rims in Belize City.

I would have not brought much here except our hand tools and some art work.  I have some lovely antiques from China that I wanted to have with me.  I am planning that Belize be my forever home, so my music and art work and readings are important to me.

By fine linens, I mean the towels I like made in Turkey available from Hammacher-Schlemmer and the linen sheets & cases from Rough Linen Made in Ireland & Scotland).   On my next trip to USA, I will get several light fixtures from Ikea and some of their solar powered lamps.

Thank you for the tip on disposable plates etc made from corn starch.  I will follow up.

With few exceptions almost all of what I need for daily life is available in Belize.  I do admit that I balk at paying over $300 bz for a microwave that would cost me $60 US at target.

2flyaway

I am very pleased that Belize is not as developed as other places like Mexico, and Caribbean islands, and Costa Rica. I like it that way. I hope most people have the opinion of popeye1 and stay away. I know that is selfish, but I like the rural undeveloped feeling in Belize. If I wanted the other, I would have moved to one of those countries. Each to there own, no judgement. I just like Belize for many reasons that others would not.

Prestonia

I would extend Kristen's comment about sheets and towels to curtains and bringing your own cloth in for furniture.  I have had all of my furniture custom built -- generally, tear out a magazine ad that you like and ask someone to make it for you.  You can get a local woman to sew the cushions, but you need to shop for the fabric you want up north.

Modern lighting is tough to find.  I have done well getting the collapsable type from IKEA.

893935_10151412167103197_1898124930_o.jpg

Mahogany bar made locally, imported curtains, IKEA lights and couch covers. 
Paint matched and mixed to paint chips.

Prestonia

diningroom.JPG

Table copied from magazine, but with Belizean hardwood.

tableinlay.jpg

Prestonia

bathroom1_vanity.jpg

Lights brought from ikea, belizean-made cabinets and local mirrors (many years of bad luck.  Asked the guy selling mirrors if he had any broken or cracked ones he wanted to get rid of.

Prestonia

bedroom.jpg

King Bed and open closet copied from magazine in Mahogany with IKEA lights and fabrics from Guatemala.

one-end-of-the-bedroom.jpg

Another view, sorry the bed is not made.

king-size-bed-in-spacious.jpg

Prestonia

payvand.JPG

comforter cover imported from Target, baby made locally.

Prestonia

598786_10151583589852494_1578620815_n.jpg

Idea for bed I found on HGTV web site to use an old door for a headboard -- instead, they made it from scratch, king-size, bedding from Macy's, curtain from wallmart, light from IKEA.

Nichi

One other thing to note.  Any furniture made from the Ikea type pressboard (I'm not singling out Ikea - as I actually like most of their stuff) but between our high humidity and the termites and mold, any of these items may not last long.
It would be a shame for someone to spend the money on shipping something that will arrive here, only to have it disintegrate  in a few short months.
So if you are planning to ship, just make sure that it is suitable for this environment.

Prestonia

living-room.jpg

Locally made clam-shell chairs and table, locally made futon, with fabric brought from US.  Leather rug from IKEA.  Shelf is just something I made from sheet-metal and wood to hold books and CDs.

IKEA lights, and electronics bought from Indian store down the street.  Acid stained concrete floors, got the acid stain in Belize city.

Prestonia

You can commission other fun stuff.

statue2.jpg

statue3.jpg

The only thing I shipped down was a giant bean bag.  Everything else was brought in suitcases or purchased/made locally.

The point of posting all this was to show you that you don't need to bring a truck full of furniture here.  If I ever do it over, will probably do it the same way.

kristinanadreau

thank you for the great pics Prestonia.  Your pictures tell a story best. 

I had a huge floor to ceiling cabinet made for our bathroom, a base cabinet for the kitchen made to the dimensions of the refrigerator with open shelving on top, a custom made sofa and 2 chairs covered in a scottish cream chenille, all for $1050 US.  I am pleased with the workmanship.  The pulls provided with the case work will be replaced as they are not to my taste.  I also did ship in a Chinese childs bed which I use as a coffee table, and an 150 yr old oak dining table.  All are solid wood.  I bought a jute rug for my lv room floor and shipped it because I could not find one in Belize City.  I bought a SS work table for the kitchen in Chetumal for $400 bz plus I had to pay $80 duty to bring it over.  In Corozal the cost of driving to Belize City is pricey so it is not done weekly. 

The key to successful shopping here is to know some people who know where to get things.  In Belize for those of us who are expats, our home is very important because home is where we spend most of our time.  It has to function and have an attractive comfortable appearance.  safe and secure.  Most Carrib countries have 8 ft walls around their houses.  here it is mostly 6 ft chain link which is easy for the thieves to climb.  When we build our house, we plan to have a 8 ft wall around the house, with the shorter fence around the rest of the property.

We have many books.  I know the humidity  & heat here destroys books so I got an e-reader.  When my books get too shabby, I will have a book burning party and pretend they are all from the right wing zealots......  LOL..   

Prestonia is correct bringing a container of stuff is not cheaper or needed to live well here.   

kris

kristinanadreau

I forgot to add that I went to the local sell everything store, Phillip Batty & sons, bought yards of artists canvas and had a local tailor hem the top and bottom for window coverings.  Inexpensive, attractive and really comfortable.
  kris

Nichi

Prestonia
Absolutely beautiful home. You really look like you have got it all together and made some smart choices.  I don't doubt for one second that your furniture will last a lifetime. Thank you for sharing the pictures.
Kris - it sounds like you too have been able to get very creative with locally available materials. You are right - your home and comfort is important. Being an expat shouldn't change that.
But both of you are great examples that not everything has to be shipped in - and you can have a beautifully decorated homes using local sources. Kris - you could start a business doing this. wink.png

kristinanadreau

Nichi.........   call me so we can lunch this week.  Marc going to LA for a few weeks, so I have a car and no supervision.   heheheh

Brigitte B

I love the idea of your window coverings, Kris!

2flyaway

Prestonia: Thanks for sharing with pictures! Helps us visualize what can be obtained locally.

msdeb51

I came across an article that said u can have ur own business; however, you can't work for a local company where they would pay you a salary.  I guess it has do do with contributing to their economy.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

2flyaway

Msdeb51:

You can get a self employment permit after you get you company registered.  They then assess you business plan you submit to them.

msdeb51

Thanks!  I'm interested in meetin with some of the expats when I visit in April, in San Pedro there were a few places they would hang out .  Are there any such places in Ignacio?

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belize

• Using phones in Belize
    Using phones in Belize

Belize has a national telecommunications company, Belize Telemedia, Limited, and several mobile phone companies ...

• Connecting to the internet in Belize
    Connecting to the internet in Belize

Belize enjoys decent internet coverage. Unfortunately it is slow and expensive. The country has many internet ...

• How to drive in Belize
    How to drive in Belize

In Belize, you can drive with an international driver's license, and you can often drive with a license from ...

• Where's the Beef?
    Where's the Beef?

Before visiting Belize to determine if it was a country we could permanently relocate to, we did an awful lot of ...

• Sports in Belize
    Sports in Belize

Sport has always been a part of Belizean life. Although the country does not have a lot in terms of professional ...

• Banking in Belize
    Banking in Belize

Belize was once known to be a real banking haven, a place where banking secrecy was guaranteed. The situation ...

• Childcare and education in Belize
    Childcare and education in Belize

If you are moving to Belize with your family, you likely have questions about child care and education. There are ...

• Customs in Belize
    Customs in Belize

Every country regulates what can and cannot cross its borders to prevent the spread of disease, adhere to local ...

All of Belize's guide articles