Menu
Expat.com

do those of you living abroad plan to return to your home countries?

Last activity 11 December 2012 by Miscellaneous

cjoanne

I left my country of origin almost 5 years ago. Strange enough, I don't really miss it and I don't think I will ever come back!

And yes, goodvillager, I so agree with you & Carlos C -

"Home is where we feel most comfortable, not necessarily where we were born."

typebug

I'm not really someone who gets homesick at all but I have surprised myself over the past few years by taking that one step further. I've lost any interest in returning home to Canada. My nationality is no longer something I identify as part of my identity unless I have to fill in a form.

It's a new and funny feeling and one I'm sure some of the serial ex-pats on here can relate to. I used to jump at the chance to meet Canadians when I'm traveling and now I'm less concerned with where someone is from, and more concerned with what we might actually have in common.

FinestOfRwanda

I really dont miss home so much, because all my childhood friends are scattered all over the world.Globalization is bearing its effects on us and now one feels more home where you stay and earn a living.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

After being away for 38 years I wouldn't be going back to the same country I left. So many people have said I wouldn't recognise the country anymore. Thanks to Google street view I have been able to look at all my old haunts. Have no desire to return, even for a holiday.

sara.s.s.s

I hope that I can one day
But my country is kidnapped by politicians

stumpy

Go home to NZ to visit my dad once a year but will not ever go back to live.

harira111
Carlos C wrote:

Our "home" should be where we feel happy or where we are well treated and recognized!

top.png

HaileyinHongKong

I have no doubt that I'll return home some day.  It's where I was born and lived almost all of my life.  It's where I know the culture, customs, language, food, music...  It also happens to be a really great country.  We have our flaws and do things that upset other countries, but anyone who wants to work hard can be very successful no matter what you look like, what your father does or how you pray.

I don't call Hong Kong home and can't imagine that I ever will.  There is only one home - how could I not go back?

JasfurJQ

i'm already staying 6 consecutive years here in jeddah my heart tells me to go back home but some consequences not letting me go. God knows how much i misses my family and my home place but i never felt the other way around. one more thing is life in philippines are getting worst, every price are getting higher eccept the salary. Businessmen are getting richer and richer while poor people are getting more poorer. i just put in my mind that ksa is my 2nd born place for here i found my true religion.

hutkgjf
HaileyinHongKong wrote:

I don't call Hong Kong home and can't imagine that I ever will.  There is only one home - how could I not go back?

Hey "Princess of china" do you not intend to continue this adventure? Life's too short!

hutkgjf
harira111 wrote:
Carlos C wrote:

Our "home" should be where we feel happy or where we are well treated and recognized!

top.png

I strongly disagree with that ! my home country is in the government the devil's hands!

Alliecat
HaileyinHongKong wrote:

I have no doubt that I'll return home some day.  It's where I was born and lived almost all of my life.  It's where I know the culture, customs, language, food, music...  It also happens to be a really great country.  We have our flaws and do things that upset other countries, but anyone who wants to work hard can be very successful no matter what you look like, what your father does or how you pray.

one.png

One of my reasons for moving to KSA was because I was becoming disillusioned at home.  I knew that moving somewhere else would most probably make me appreciate what I had--and it certainly has.

hutkgjf

Well... a house is not always a home... But a HOME is always a HOUSE.. that is for me... but, I am not yet going outside of my country... just planning yet... at least if I have my money to travel back and forth then I would go back.. but if I don't have... then.. I'll work hard first... cool.png

James

Well, after living in Brazil for more than ten years now if I went back to Canada it would only be for a visit and only during the summer.

As much as I love my home country and miss my family and friends there I know I could never survive through another Canadian winter... yuck. The only place I want to see snow nowadays is between channels on the TV.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

HaileyinHongKong
Hericles wrote:

Hey "Princess of china" do you not intend to continue this adventure? Life's too short!

Life's too short to be stuck in the rain every day and smell stinky tofu.

If I'm a princess why am I paying taxes in 2 different countries?

HaileyinHongKong
Alliecat wrote:

One of my reasons for moving to KSA was because I was becoming disillusioned at home.  I knew that moving somewhere else would most probably make me appreciate what I had--and it certainly has.

I think the best way to get over what you don't like about home is to leave it for a while.

hutkgjf
HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Life's too short to be stuck in the rain every day and smell stinky tofu.

There are many people who crave the opportunity and privilege that you have overseas so quit being so negative you are setting the bar too low for yourself.

Fred

I can't see me bothering going 'home'.
I fully intend to stay in Indonesia until they stick six foot of Indonesia on top of me.
No winter is the best start but then you consider the food, the people and the place.
Add one beautiful wife and a wonderful child and I really can't think of a reason to leave.

georgeingozo

I hope thats stick, not sick !

HaileyinHongKong
Hericles wrote:

There are many people who crave the opportunity and privilege that you have overseas so quit being so negative you are setting the bar too low for yourself.

Pot, say hello to kettle.

If people want to do what I have done, they can go out and do it.  Who's stopping them?

Fred
georgeingozo wrote:

I hope thats stick, not sick !

It was so I edited it and will consider a new keyboard.

However, in an Indonesian Muslim funeral, the body is naked, washed, then wrapped in a cloth for dirt dumping.
The sight of my naked dead body may induce the six feet of sick.

hutkgjf

I'm not considering to return , don't even bother to think about it.i'm going forward to explore a new country.

stumpy

I left New Zealand 48 years ago and have settled in Laos.

atoti22

hi everyone im new here but i found this interesting
i wass born and brought up in kenya but it was from one city to the next due to my dad`s job, i dont remember my school mates or where i was in which class(school yea)
i left home at 18, at 20 my dad died so my family settled down,soon after i married and moved to switzerland.17 years down the line when i visit my family which i do every year i feel like an outsider, a stranger,out of place and always have a feeling of *what can you do for us?*when there.Im not happy in switzerland but going back doesnt look much better either.
So personally, i dont know where home is

hutkgjf

No Plans at the moment

hutkgjf

What you mean ' at the moment' ?
If you are better off where you are forget the rest. Life doesn't have to be cumbersome.

mostafa zaghlol

sure must back to my origional country , my family country to the Nile:Dbig_smile.png

James

Going back home certainly is not in my plans... the only place I ever see snow now is between channels on TV.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

brownleey

(moderated: Could please try to avoid copy/paste on the forum)

red.onion

I would definitely leave Sweden if I found a twin-sister country but with temperature above 20 whole year long.
I love Sweden the way it is but I struggle with body which doesn't want leave the bed and feel sleepy almost 6-8 months a year. I have a very good mood, but the body says otherwise. This is what a lack of sun does to some more sensitive expats wink.png.

In my native cuntry there is plenty of everything good and bad: summer wit 35 degrees and winters with... -30 degrees. Winter is cold and long but you can start wearing flip flops in April. However, I don't plan returning there. Too hard job to adjust to all the contrasts and staff that use to be familiar to me when I lived there.

God bless Spain and Italy for good food and warm strands  that do not ruin my pocket! wink.png)))

HaileyinHongKong
wjwoodward wrote:

Going back home certainly is not in my plans... the only place I ever see snow now is between channels on TV.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

It's funny, we have all this digital technology and flat screen TVs and it still goes out about once a week.

Miscellaneous

How is where we hang our coat? or home is where our heart is.  At the moment I have no intention of moving back to South Africa, however I go visit as much as I can, I married a German, who loves travelling as much as I do, who knows where we will be in 10 years, but for now Germany is our home.

Articles to help you in your expat project

All guide articles