Butane = Propane

I feel a bit dumb asking this question, but the only thing dumber would be to not ask. In Belize I would see the businesses selling butane. When I think of Butane, I think of lighter fluid. There would be big tanks there like what propane is sold from.

If we are to bring down some appliances / BBQ we need to know if our propane devices will work, or if we convert our natural gas appliances to propane that they will work.

With a search on Wikipedia I was hoping to find that they were two different names for the same thing, but that was not the case.

Thanks

You will need to convert your appliance to be able to burn butane. you should be able to get the kit at any hardware store(home depot, Lowe's or Menard's).

I believe they have big tanks like propane tanks outside...

butane is different than propane.  It does burn dirty as it leaves soot residue in your burners you do have to clean them out regularly.

We had the same question about 1 year ago.  I have since shipped a gas stove (with a propane converson kit) to Belize and had it installed.  My husband switched over the orifices and adjusted the flames size and it seems to work well.  The butane tank looks like a large propane tank and sits outside.  Butane works great, not much different than propane.

Have you cleaned out your burners as yet?  My stove top has the new type burners with automatic pilot light so they are cleaner than the old type. My oven is a different story.  I have to take out the burner every two months and dump out the soot.  Yes I converted my stove over. Yes I bake a lot.

Thanks for the tip!  I do not live in Belize full-time and don't bake a lot, but I will make sure "cleaning the burners" is on my maintenance list!

So essential , the butane conversion is the same as the propane? Where do you buy or lease the butane tanks from? How much per pound?

You buy your own tank.
http://amandala.com.bz/news/?p=255502&upm_export=pdf

choose your vendor,  I use Tropic.  a refill on a medium size tank is $52-54 , Belize.   used a tank in 2 month using it for my clothes dryer.

http://7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=18959
Also make sure the vendor has scales. Not sure all vendors do, still.
We live close to SL and that is where we bring ours.

Just a quick question.  I love to bake and where were are moving it comes with a electric range/oven.  Do we need to just get a different kind of stove at the beginning?  Thanks Linda we are moving to Corozal 6/2014.  Thanks Linda

dogerday reply..........   suggestion.  a convection countertop oven from William Sonoma (Breville) will be useful.  A gas cook top is a great choice.  Electricity is EXPENSIVE.  and an oven within your range will heat up the entire house, which requires even more electricity to cool the room off...........

Thank you this is so helpful.  I am getting all the things I think I will need now so I will not spend a lot when I get to Belize.  I am going to try to live simple with out all the clutter I have in the states.