The advice you wished someone had given you.....

I am preparing to move from California to Abu Dhabi in about 6 weeks.  My husband is currently already working in Abu Dhabi.

I am in the process of packing the items we need to take to our new home and storing the rest for 3 years.

I would love to hear  from you regarding advice  on preparing for this great adventure as well as advice you wished someone had given you before you had left your home country.

We currently have a home that we are preparing to rent out for 3 years. Any advice?

1.  What personal items to bring?  (Tips on the items that you wish you had brought or items you wish you left at home.)
2. How did you handle your mail from your home country to be forwarded to Abu Dhabi?
3. Tips on banking.   
4.  My husband and I are very active... we love to run, rock climb, surf, and are willing to explore new fun activities.  Should we bring our gear over?
5. How did you store  your important documents.

Any suggestions on resources on preparing for this transition would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Suzy  :)

Personal items...as little as you can manage with. Really.

Mail...I got it forwarded to a friend in Canada, she forwards it in packs and opens anything that looks really important.

We have totally seperate banking systems, one here, one there, never the twain shall meet.  We're in Spain though...I don't know what you will see.

With athletic gear, bearing in mind the, bring as little as you can, bring personal gear...your boots, etc, but unless you are so elite in a sport that you have to have a custom board...I'd leave that and get one there...

All our important documents go into bags. Cloth ones.  We have one for Canada and one for Spain.  It is simple, and we can always find what we need.

Whew.  Hope that helps.  Oh, and with the mail...as a favour to whomever you get to handle your mail, reduce what you receive as much as you can.  Those newsletters from your job two jobs ago, and the university quarterly...let them go.  There is online now, and magazines you can change the address. Try to minimise the work for your buddy...only bills and taxes.  Boring but hard to change stuff.  Also change your drivers licence to her address so you get notified when it needs renewal.

Ummmm, hope that helps.

oceanbeach, good luck with your move. I am from AZ and am trying to get my husband to move to the UAE. I think you will have a wonderful adventure. I have three kids 7,9,11, and think this would be great for them. Please keep us posted on what you think,m we would love to here from you