Menu
Expat.com

Fake Alcohol in Saigon

Last activity 03 January 2017 by phikachu

Guest2023

Reminds of those horrible bucket drinks in Thailand.

konacoast

omg....you think dalat wine is good?   Boy you have LOWWWWWWW standards.

Guest2023

How ironic that this post appeared today, Someone brought me a bottle of Hanoi vodka for Christmas and I drank half of it with orange juice on Friday night. I have been violently ill ever since. Never again and a warning to others. I should have known better. I was very close to a hospital visit yesterday. Slowly It is leaving my system thank god.

Jjohann

First of all, why you live in other country? You like to drink same drinks that you use to drink at home? So stay home.
Secondly, alcohol is very very cheap. About 1 dollar for 1 liter 30%.
So Vietnamese people has no reason to use other stuff. It would be more expensive for them to make the alcohol themselves then buying it at Coopmart.
3th. Alcohol is a poison. 1 day you get allergic to it.
Roi

Guest2023

You do realise they charge you full price for a bottle , but its actually been removed and replaced with fake alcohol. My friend owned a bar and had this problem numerous times.

phikachu

I love a good Bo Bit Tet or Bo Ne as they call it in the South.

First thing I do when I get into the country is have one. Last time I tried a new place recommended by a hotel receptionist. I should have walked away because for such a large restaurant it was empty.... I make a habit of only eating in busy places because if the locals queue up for it, you know it's good. Anyway, despite my gut instincts I ordered the most expensive imported australian beef. Took one bite and wanted to gag...I'm 99% certain it was contaminated pork. I was definitely overly paranoid after watching an online video of how they make fake beef in Vietnam but this was either rotten beef or pork disguised as beef, most likely it was rotten pork disguised as beef. I left it untouched and ate the eggs and bread.

My mate in Hanoi is a top radiologist that's worked and trained abroad. He say's Vietnam has a disproportionately high cancer rate and it's down to food quality, specifically... fake food. He doesn't even dare eat at his hospital canteen, let alone outside. Prefers to cook for himself and makes his own lunch. This guy screens for cancers for a living and has access to national data so I take his word for it.

Oddly, like most Vietnamese I know, they blame it on the Chinese and their cheap imports.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Saigon

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Working in Vietnam
    Working in Vietnam

Anyone thinking about working in Vietnam is in for a treat. Compared to many Western countries, Vietnam's ...

• Setting up a business in Vietnam
    Setting up a business in Vietnam

Foreign entrepreneurs from across the globe have been landing across Asia for decades. In August, Harvard ranked ...

• The healthcare system in Vietnam
    The healthcare system in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam is going to present you with an abundance of challenges, from the logistical aspect to customs ...

• Visas for Vietnam
    Visas for Vietnam

If you are only planning on having a short stay in Vietnam, you can apply online for a tourist visa, preferably at ...

• Finding a job in Hanoi
    Finding a job in Hanoi

With Vietnam's new visa regulations, you will need to secure a job before entering the country. Opportunities to ...

• Accommodation in Vietnam
    Accommodation in Vietnam

If you're jetting off to Asia's beloved S-shaped nation, take care of booking the best accommodation ...

• The tax system in Vietnam
    The tax system in Vietnam

Before you move to Vietnam, it is prudent to get up to speed on local tax laws. As with any country, this is ...

All of Saigon's guide articles