Menu
Expat.com

Why don't Vietnamese understand Vietnamese spoken by a foreigner?

Last activity 14 February 2022 by monny.nguyen

GuestPoster221

I wish I could create a poll.

How many foreigners here speak fluent Vietnamese?

No, from me.

GuestPoster221

Which dialect?

North, South or Central.

GuestPoster221

I think that any is appropriate for this forum

GuestPoster221

... 12 pages later ... "Oh yes there is"  smile.png

Matt_2
I do believe wrote:
Matt_2 wrote:

My 2 cents: yesterday a gloomy, tense looking woman asked me if I spoke Vietnamese. I said that I didn't. Her response was a broad smile of pure delight and relief.

But what language were each of you using?

Sorry for not making that clear: English.

I do believe

I think it may be inactive because of the recent dearth of foreigners. I sometimes suggest to foreigners to read this post so they can find comfort in not being able to communicate with Vietnamese residents. I still struggle with the dichotomy that Most Vietnamese residents don't recognize their own language. Some do; I am taken aback when my Vietnamese is understood. I still can't stop wondering how it is possible for a Vietnamese adult to not comprehend a single word in their own language. I still believe the main reason is racial. Vietnam is fairly pure in their makeup and the difference in sound throws the listener off. More later.

I do believe
Matt_2 wrote:
I do believe wrote:
Matt_2 wrote:

My 2 cents: yesterday a gloomy, tense looking woman asked me if I spoke Vietnamese. I said that I didn't. Her response was a broad smile of pure delight and relief.

To appreciate your post I would need to know the ethnicity, native language, current residency location and education of both you and the, "tense looking woman."

AndyHCMC
I do believe wrote:
Matt_2 wrote:
I do believe wrote:

To appreciate your post I would need to know the ethnicity, native language, current residency location and education of both you and the, "tense looking woman."

I do Believe you are about a year and a half late, thread has been dead since Sept 2020, I think Matt & possibly his gloomy tense looking woman may have long moved on.

OceanBeach92107
Andybris2020 wrote:
I do believe wrote:
Matt_2 wrote:

I do Believe you are about a year and a half late, thread has been dead since Sept 2020, I think Matt & possibly his gloomy tense looking woman may have long moved on.

Is a thread ever truly dormant if the OP is still above ground? 😉

I do believe

I'm still kicking and learning. Just got back from another wedding. The joy expressed at having a foreigner attend a country wedding is humbling. As usual my Vietnamese was appreciated even if not understood.

GuestPoster221

Even when I say "Tôi sẽ nói tiếng Việt", I still get looks of confusion.

MarkinNam

er's ya unser, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmPjHX_ … TKvZmkznd0

MarkinNam
vietexpat2 wrote:

this happens constantly to me (and all i believe)

i have expanded on my initial theory to a two-pronged answer i think is correct ...

1. Viet listeners are just not pyschologically (mentally) prepared to hear Vietnamese, even corect Vietnamese, from obvious foreigners. usually you get this 'Hey, what?' look. they have toi do a real mental gear change to accept that "hey this foeigner is speaking tieng viet, khong tieng anh!"

2. just as importantly, i have now realised is that 'our' conversational tone is just completely different to spoken Vietnamese - EVEN WHEN WE SAY VIET TONES EXACTLY RIGHT. ie 'we' speak far more melodiously, without the loud harsh nasal spoken tone of normal Viet spoken speech. that is why that often when we listen to normal spoken Viet speech, it sounds like thay are having a big argument.

viz 'Three women and a duck make a market'

,,,,,, I suggested years ago that opening a conversation with xin loi may help native speaker to prepare to hear Vietnamese spoken by a foreigner

GuestPoster221
MarkinNam wrote:
vietexpat2 wrote:

this happens constantly to me (and all i believe)

i have expanded on my initial theory to a two-pronged answer i think is correct ...

1. Viet listeners are just not pyschologically (mentally) prepared to hear Vietnamese, even corect Vietnamese, from obvious foreigners. usually you get this 'Hey, what?' look. they have toi do a real mental gear change to accept that "hey this foeigner is speaking tieng viet, khong tieng anh!"

2. just as importantly, i have now realised is that 'our' conversational tone is just completely different to spoken Vietnamese - EVEN WHEN WE SAY VIET TONES EXACTLY RIGHT. ie 'we' speak far more melodiously, without the loud harsh nasal spoken tone of normal Viet spoken speech. that is why that often when we listen to normal spoken Viet speech, it sounds like thay are having a big argument.

viz 'Three women and a duck make a market'

,,,,,, I suggested years ago that opening a conversation with xin loi may help native speaker to prepare to hear Vietnamese spoken by a foreigner

You do realise that "xin lỗi" means excuse me and sorry, that may confuse them even more.

THIGV

May I respectfully suggest that anyone who feels that Vietnamese should understand them or anyone who is considering learning Vietnamese should have comprehensive hearing testing done.    It should include all registers.   If the test shows any hearing loss at all, consider that part of the problem.   You might ask how about elderly Vietnamese, but remember that they have muscle memory as a positive impact on their speech.  If you watch the YouTube videos by Chris Lewis they are predicated on the lame joke that Vietnamese are shocked by his ability to speak properly.   They are surprised, but they immediately recognize what he says as Vietnamese.   (BTW you only need to watch one as they are all based on the same premise.)  Look at him.   He started his channel in 2013 when he arguably may have been under 20 years old.   Unless your hearing is demonstrably perfect, you are probably fooling yourself when you assert that you speak properly.

AndyHCMC
vietnam49 wrote:
GuestPoster221 wrote:

No, from me.

(polls) just one of the many functions that this site is lacking

And as a NEW MEMEBER you know this how?

GuestPoster221
Andybris2020 wrote:
vietnam49 wrote:
GuestPoster221 wrote:

No, from me.

Been a member for 3-weeks with one post and wants to make changes.

AndyHCMC
colinoscapee wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
vietnam49 wrote:

Hi Don

THIGV
colinoscapee wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
vietnam49 wrote:

This still begs the question.   Is there a way to create a poll on this site?

I do believe
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
THIGV wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

This still begs the question.   Is there a way to create a poll on this site?

Poles are born; not made...

Polls are a form of diarrhea It may be present alone or be associated with other symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting,  diarrhea is usually short-lived; only useful to the ill or misinformed.

monny.nguyen

Honestly, my english is really poor and I want to share some things with you guys.
I opened a coffee shop in Binh Thanh District near Vinhomes central park area 3 years ago. My customers is almost foreigners.
There are some people who can speak a little bit Vietnamese language. When they met me at the first and said ''Khỏe không ? or '' Khỏe không em '', I was really nervous and confused because I was not expected this, I think that is cultural differences ...(if I do more explaining that is very long).
But when I met them at the second, I was feeling very comfortable. We could spoke vietnamese together and I helped them to improve their pronunciation.
You need only find a vietnamese girl friend , I sure that you will speak fluently vietnamese language. Good luck.

I do believe

monny.nguyen

I married a Vietnamese woman about 3 years ago. She understands most of my Vietnamese which I have been speaking for more than 12 years. She speaks no English and we speak only Vietnamese. Of course I teach her a bit of English. Her intellectually aware friends will understand about 70% of my Vietnamese and her intelligent friends will understand about 20% of my Vietnamese. Many Vietnamese don't/can't understand a single word I say.  I think speaking to foreigners who are trying to assimilate to some degree is a noble undertaking. I wish I knew where your coffee shop was so I could patronize the joint.

AndyHCMC
I do believe wrote:

monny.nguyen

I married a Vietnamese woman about 3 years ago. She understands most of my Vietnamese which I have been speaking for more than 12 years. She speaks no English and we speak only Vietnamese. Of course I teach her a bit of English. Her intellectually aware friends will understand about 70% of my Vietnamese and her intelligent friends will understand about 20% of my Vietnamese. Many Vietnamese don't/can't understand a single word I say.  I think speaking to foreigners who are trying to assimilate to some degree is a noble undertaking. I wish I knew where your coffee shop was so I could patronize the joint.

Send them a PM  top.png

monny.nguyen

Unfortunately, it was closed when the covid pandamic was coming. Of course, we could get together at coffee shop on the weekend if you want, you can reach me via viber or zalo: 090***

Moderated by Julien 2 years ago
Reason : for your own safety, please use the private message system to share your contact details

Articles to help you in your expat project in Ho Chi Minh City

All of Ho Chi Minh City's guide articles