SOCIAL MIXER

what happened?

no updates???

me too, in not out

Sorry one and all!
I'm waiting for Ramadan to end so that I can ask about minimum charges at the three places I had in mind.
Once, I have the numbers te date and the place will be set.
I can then also reserve tables according to the number of people who will be joining.

am in ...

It is a nice idea to wait till the end of RAMADAN.
Dr. IMIG

I think it was after Eid :)

Which is logical :D

meetup.com/cairo-expat-social-club/

If you are interested in meeting other expats the above link will take you to quite an active 'meet-up' group.  They organise their meet-ups in different locations depending on where most of the attendees want to gather.

nice idea Irish
I hope i can be in, i'll try
And i'm very sad cuz alot of expats dun wanna Egyptians
It doesn't matter for me personally
But only dun like to feel Egyptians are not preferd to come in.
My suggestions:
1st controling the attending by tickets and there price will be according to the rent and costing price

2nd  we choose a ratio between expats and Egytians
And a ratio between couples and singles

3rd i think the best time is next thursday
Cuz it's the last day in ramadan and all muslims are waiting this day to have fun ;)

4th  i'm sure it'll be bigger than to have one organizer only with respecting you Irish
:D
So we need 4 persons
(2 women and 2 men
2 expats and 2 Egyptians)
at least
Just to control
I know i was so talktive
But i'm waiting to know your opinions

they're only suggestions
Just trying to help you and make it's easier

cooooooooooooooooooooooooool
it will be nice for sure
i am in
:)

Since Ramadan & Eid is over

Any updates?

Me too pls.
IMIG

So, I have told all of you that here in Egypt, people like to talk, more than they could do!
Ramadan finished, and so Eid, and NO MEETING!

I don't like judging people :)

As this is a volunteer basis & initiation by IrishAlex I think she wouldn't have suggested it if she didn't want to do it :).

Life happens we all face circumstances at work ( Which I imagine she started this week as she is a teacher :) ), along many other circumstances.

In addition, she did say she'd schedule it for late September early October & I don't think we've passed that point yet :)

In the mean time people can meet anytime nobody is holding you :D, you can suggest to meet up if you have friends on the forum, the mixer is just an ice breaker :)

If we're all so eager  to meetup for real we'll make it happen everything is in our hands :).

@valibilic  I didn't like the "here in Egypt, people like to talk more than do" bit its an extreme generalization while I haven't even seen an expat make a suggestion/initiation which has passed being just words yet  :), You are most welcome to setup everything & handle the mixer if you don't like whats being done thus far :), nobody will stop you :)

valibilic wrote:

So, I have told all of you that here in Egypt, people like to talk, more than they could do!
Ramadan finished, and so Eid, and NO MEETING!

not all egyptians talk and dont do :-)

Pls. be calm, just allow time.
Have a good time all.
IMIG

If you read all topic, you could find out that on the previous page I have posted that I tried some time ago to do such a meeting, in spring, around Easter, and it failed, this not because of myself!
So really I would like to see that this idea become true.
I advise that someone who has time and wants to do it, to try to create an account on yahoo, to post here the email and the messenger id, and in this way to be able to communicate and to talk directly, to finalize this !
Maybe Julien will find out that it s necessary to create a chat window in the site to be able each other to communicate easier!
And I didn t judge, I only evaluate the situation, giving before my opinion and prediction about this meeting!

Y30 wrote:

I don't like judging people :)

As this is a volunteer basis & initiation by IrishAlex I think she wouldn't have suggested it if she didn't want to do it :).

Life happens we all face circumstances at work ( Which I imagine she started this week as she is a teacher :) ), along many other circumstances.

In addition, she did say she'd schedule it for late September early October & I don't think we've passed that point yet :)

In the mean time people can meet anytime nobody is holding you :D, you can suggest to meet up if you have friends on the forum, the mixer is just an ice breaker :)

If we're all so eager  to meetup for real we'll make it happen everything is in our hands :).

@valibilic  I didn't like the "here in Egypt, people like to talk more than do" bit its an extreme generalization while I haven't even seen an expat make a suggestion/initiation which has passed being just words yet  :), You are most welcome to setup everything & handle the mixer if you don't like whats being done thus far :), nobody will stop you :)

LOL! :lol:
I had a feeling that you would be watching me like a hawk Valibilic!

i hate to be the one to prove you wrong, but I am going to take GREAT pleasure in doing so.

The reason I have been quiet is because I have been juggling more than one thing. Helping my parents organize my sisters engagement party, helping my sister and her fiance find a venue for their wedding, studying for my masters, writing my columns for a magazine launching next month AND looking at venues for the outing. I haven't found one that I think is suitable for the occassion or one that i like, but I will be checking out a nother one this week!

So, Ms V! Don't be so quick to judge me, especially when YOU don't know me!

FYI, I may have Egyptian blood pumping through my veins but I am a westerner too as well as being very Western in my way of thinking and the way i live, so when I SAY, I'M GOING TO DO SOMETHING, I DO IT! I don't like talking through my back side.
PLEASE, DON'T EVER TALK ABOUT ME AGAIN or make assumptions about me ON THIS THREAD OR ANY OTHER FOR THAT MATTER.
If you want to take something up with me, do it privatly in a message.

I hope I have made myself perfectly clear.

Oh and if you read earlyer in the thread, I said it would either be the last weekend in September OR first weekend in October. So, I have thus far KEPT my word! The date hasn't past.

@ Y30, Thank you for remaining poised and being diplomatic!

Hi Looks like this event may have past but please count me in for tne next one.
Thanks
David

@Irish glad to have you back  :)

Congratulations for your sister :)

A good thing would be to start a new topic for each meet-up with a precise title such as [Expat.com meetup] on (date) and (location) so that we can stick them on top of the forum and attract your attention to them!

dsbon wrote:

Hi Looks like this event may have past but please count me in for tne next one.
Thanks
David

Relax! It didn t pass and you didn t miss the meeting!
The only thing that passed is Ramadan and Eid, this year, but maybe could be next year, cause it was not specified the year when we are going to meet!

FeeAcer wrote:

A good thing would be to start a new topic for each meet-up with a precise title such as [Expat.com meetup] on (date) and (location) so that we can stick them on top of the forum and attract your attention to them!

Why to start a new topic? What is  wrong with this? This has an enough precise title, it is stick on top of the forum, and a date could not be anticipated, in any country, not only in Egypt, people have problems to solve that apprear in the meantime, we could not be strict with date!

Yes but people would see there is a new meet up being organized straight away and could book it in their agenda!

FeeAcer wrote:

Yes but people would see there is a new meet up being organized straight away and could book it in their agenda!

" NEW" is a reference term, in comparison with something that already existed, an OLD one!
As soon as " old meeting" or " last meeting" didn t exist, we could not speak about a new one.
It is going to be a meeting only, not old, not new, maybe we could call it, " first meeting"!

hello valibic and all of you

why dont we try to work"t out together first let"s set a date what about october friday the 8 and let everyone recommend a place and we all vote for the place & the place who gets more choices we go for ; i will srart recommending places
1- the celler in presedent hottel in zamalek 2- deals in zamalek 3 harris pop in marriot  4 pekine in mohandesin 5 pop 28 in zamalek
looking forwad to heaing from you
suzana

Suzana i like your initiative , the date look fine to me , i vote for harris or pekine.
cheers

I wish 1 week later

I have Italian course at Tuesday Thursday Saturday from 8 to 10 pm I hope I can attend :-)

How the majority go, me in.

Hi ,

Im very new in cairo and almost novice in the city, please count me in for this get together!

Shahid

It'll never be tailored to each individual's need :)

Gent's this is true it will never happen this way lets get moving and do our 1st meeting any ways even if two members only will participate . please guys respond to suzana or IrishAlexandrian with your preference of the location and lets stick to this date friday - 8th of october
see you all there

I am in also.
I agree that Sequoia is the best location.
Central, everybody knows where it is, and it is a beautiful outdoor area with a very classy egyptian ambiance. Good food and alcohol.
I would suggest Friday the 1st October and we can try to make it a monthly thing (like always first friday of every month).
I would suggest as a reservation one of us could call there and explain about the gattering and then anybody that would want to go could just call sequoia and add themselves to the reservation list so that Sequoia could manage themselves the reservation and arrange for us a table acordingly the amount of people that made a reservation.
I think that this is the best way so that who ever wants to go actually takes responsibility for their own reservation.

Just a sugestion. I have been here in Egypt for two and a half years and I know how complicated it can get to manage this kind of arrangement.
Let me know what you think of it!

Thats a good idea Sousou_Kiwi, its more appropriate that everybody should take care of his/her own arrangement.
So the venue and date is decided.
Lets roll guys!

Hi,
I also put an online poll for the places suggested by Suzana,
everyone interested can choose one or more place that is suitable for him/her.
Please have a look at it and tell me if we can you use this method. This also shows who is attending and the place where most of us prefer.
Thank you.
The link is:http://doodle.com/hgrvagftwnnxm2gd

That was quick!

Good work Ahmed!!

hello sousou;

the reservation idea is verey good and to mak't fixed for the 1 of every month is perfect and the place is nice as well ; i just thought that the first of the month is too soon if anybody have alredy arrangment and the weather is not going to be predictable all the next month or so thats why i prefer a closed place ; but any way i will go with the majority;
lets see how every bodyelse is thinking

suzana

suzana wrote:

hello valibic and all of you

why dont we try to work"t out together first let"s set a date what about october friday the 8 and let everyone recommend a place and we all vote for the place & the place who gets more choices we go for ; i will srart recommending places
1- the celler in presedent hottel in zamalek 2- deals in zamalek 3 harris pop in marriot  4 pekine in mohandesin 5 pop 28 in zamalek
looking forwad to heaing from you
suzana

1. With this meeting was not my idea! I just give some opinions, because I tried once, in spring to meet together, and the meeting failed. People were not too much interested in, they said" IN", but it remained only words. In a way it wasn t planned too well, i didn t and still I don t have enough time to complete my jobs, I work more than 12 hours/ 7 days per week, and distances in Cairo destroy my mind, I lose too much time.
So I can t take a responsibility that I can t carry on!
2. Personally, I prefer open areas, Nile restaurants!
No matter where it is to be meeting, maybe someone has to go there and to have an offer, because any restaurants when they see FOREIGNERS, they increase prices, they ask phony rules, like minimum of charge and so on!
3. By the way, I love belly dancing, I am a very good dancer, and also I am a trainer!

hello valibic;
so you you prefer like sousou an open air place ; ok lets see the rest of us and after we are on for the place i will call them to see the best deal we can get;
i am glad you love belly dancing lets hope later on for a girls night

suzana