Getting around, looking for an idea

My wife and I are planning on several trips to Ecuador between now and July 2014.  I have targeted July 2014, for our retirement and move date, to our new home.  That being said, I am looking for a good strategy to cover some territory and see the country.
Next April I was thinking of hitting Quito for a week.  Maybe hit the coast or something.  Then the following trip hit Cuenca, then the coast.  How hard is it to get around the country?  Any recommendations for a coastal city or two, which have modern conveniences and safe?  What is the best way to get there? Fly direct, bus, taxi? 
Any suggestions for covering a lot of territory, over the next 3 years?  My wife is interested in something by the coast.  Watching Anthony Bourdain had a segment and the coastal spots they showed were in pretty bad shape.  I would like to buy a house and settle in somewhere more up to date.
Thank you for any ideas or help, looking forward to meeting some of the people here when we get there.

Hi;

I am a USA developer and have a wonderful community being built on the Pacific coast between Jama and Pedernales called Vista Pacifica, (moderated: no free ads please). Based on your comments, I think I understand what you are looking for. 
I believe planning and maintenance are the 2 main issues with developments in Ecuador. They are not planned well and they dont seem to have any idea what it takes to maintain a development or homes in one. I am based in Florida, so am very versed in wet/coastal areas. I mention our area since you have the time and are wanting a good overview of the country and our part of the coast has some of the very best real estate values in Ecuador.
When I first traveled to Ecuador I knew I wanted to live on the coast as I don't care for the cooler weather year round in the Andes. I traveled the entire coastal area of appx. 1400 miles and did it with hired cars, taxis, buses and planes. It is not very hard to get around Ecuador in my opinion.
Personal safety has never been a big concern (bigger cities have more crime of course), but precautions are always a good thing. If you use basic common sense you should not have any problems. Carry small amounts of cash in small denominations (its almost impossible to change 50's or 100's in Ecuador even at the banks). Use your ATM or debit card to get cash when needed.
I think you are doing it the right way and setting up tours of different areas is a good thing.
If I can assist you in setting up a tour of our area please let me know. I bring clients down every 2 months or so from 4 to 10 days.

Larry

Just a quick response.  Ecuador is one of the few places I've found actually designed to take in a lot of country in a smaller amount of time.  Transportation-wise, I would recommend bus travel.  Is it incredibly inexpensive (an hour of bus travel = $1) and in my opinion, the best way to take in the country and see how people really live.  Flights are also available, but bus travel seems so much more interesting and informative.

Check it out first, if you're looking for a nice and modern looking place... let me re-state that.  Ecuador has a lot of spectacular beauty.  But there's also a lot of poverty, a lot of litter.  The Ruta Del Sol is beautiful - but many of the cities are less fantastic the further you get from the coastline.

Good chilly morning, I see we are both in Minneapolis. 
I appreciate the information.   My wife is leaning for the first trip in June.  So we are thinking of the coast first, then the mountains.  Always looking for as much information as possible.

Hello,

You might want to consider a longer visit of 3months or more before making your final decision.  I this way, you will see what day to day life is like.  Not just eating out and moving from hotel to hotel.

As far as transport is concerned.  Air travel is available between the three major cities and from there it would be by bus or private car.  The bus is the most economical way to go.

Best Regards,
Benjmain

I think that's a great idea.  I am easing my wife into this.  I figure a week here and there.  Then a month or so where we can immerse. 
If I hit her with to much, to fast....  My wife loves the idea, but hates change.  So slow and steady is the way.  But good idea on the bus.  How long a drive is it to the coast from Cuenca?

To Guayaquil it is about 4-5 hours by bus.  From there you can get buses that will take you to the various coastal towns.