Freelance Hairdresser in Alicante area?

Hola,

I an currently living in Buenos Aires, Argentina where I have a very successful hairdressing business.

However,  although I love BA, I feel that i need to be closer to home,  to family etc.

My question  is, I'm thinking of relocating to the Alicante province,  hence, I'm wondering if  people on this forum feel there would be a good chance of building up another freelance business there?

Are there many good,  well trained hairdressers , English speaking in the area?

Thank you in advance for any information / advice given.

Saludos

Hello gatanegra,

Just so you're aware, in Spain like all EU countries you would require the appropriate work visa even as a freelancer. Failing that you would certainly have difficulty entering the country for any prolonged period if they suspected it was your intention to work; or in the alternative could be expelled from the country if found to be working without the proper documentation. You should visit the webpage of the Consulate-General of Spain in Buenos Aires for further details:

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/consulados … nicio.aspx

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team

Thank you,  James.  I will be looking into all of that,  obviously, tax etc. I need to know if there's much work available  Many expats in the area etc.
I will check out that site. Appreciate it.

Hola, chicas,
Can anyone else advises me on my above question.  All advice would be appreciated.  I an European,  not Argentinian
Gracias

Hello Gatanegra,

I am not based in Alicante however in general I know that there are many peluquerias in Spain. I think competition is quite high. Although everyone is always looking for someone more affordable and has good experience, friendly etc.
James is correct, unless you are an EU, and registered as a resident, you can not freelance. Of course there working for blak money but the risk of being caught and the consequences is not very nice.
There are visas available for free lance work but you must be able to provide proof that you are able to support yourself with your personal finances (a lot of money). 

The good news is, if you already have family living in Spain as a student or resident, you might be able to apply to stay with them and I think you might be allowed to work up to 20 hours. As far as I have read, family members are allowed to work. But you will have to double check this.

I recommend that you contact an immigration lawyer in Spain (Alicante) to get some assistance with that question. Some of them will provide free advice. If you need additional help with your visa then you would just use their services.
Hope it's of help.

All the best
Al

Thank you si much.  I appreciaye yiubtaking the time to write
I am from the EU so that part is ok, I will look into seeing a immigration lawyer as yiu suggested. I have a suvessful business here in Buenos Aires but want to be closer to home,  hence the move.  Ireland , wee te I'm from us too cold, jeje
I understand competition is high  hopefully I can prove myself quickly as a good and  friendly hairdresser .
Best , ;)

If you're an EU citizen there is not really much to it. You probably don't need an immigration lawyer. You'll just need to sort out your health insurance to register as a resident- especially if you are self employed. Perhaps a general lawyer would be better so they can advise you correctly on the procedures for starting up your own business.
Good luck 😊
Al

Hi,
I really dont think you will have aproblem finding work. Especially if you are intending to livr/work in alicante city. There are many salons on the coast that cater to the english speaking and foreign market but not so many in alicante city. If you speak spanish and english fluently, you need to sell this!! I have been to a few salons that have a brit flag on the window etc but they dont speak a word. For me its ok because i speak Spanish but when my family or clients visit and want to go to the hairdresser i have struggled to find an english speaking salon in the city. I knew of one, and he has since left.

To answer your question, absolutely there s a market. Advertise yourself to the high end salons and those that are visible to the passerby so u get the walk in foreigners looking for english speaker.

Good luck

Hello. I live and work here and  some of my students come for conversation classes as part of their social weekly events. Many have asked where I get my hair done. I drive a long distance to La Nucia as It's the only hairdressers who never burnt the head off me while blowdrying my hair. Most of my lady students are middle aged or elderly so if you are around El Campello give me a call and I will be delighted to have you do my hair and i introduce you to my students and friends.
Scribbles

While I'm here, a quick word about some work I've been delighted to get  recently. There is a lot of help needed in all sectors here in Spain. I've written many grammar books and a few novels, some under seudo names when they are a bit naughty and now I've been offered editing work by people who want to see their books in print or in epub format on websites.
If you don't get above yourself and enjoy what you do then you won't charge too much to writers who come to you to read, edit and polish up their writings. With the help of my website designer and translator friend I upload all my work to my own website and other book publishers , easy peasy.
Don't be afraid to try but be perfect at what you love to do and best of luck.
Scribbles