Menu
Expat.com

Citizenship and Passports - Who qualifies?

Last activity 19 June 2017 by Couvedefreit

Gen5

Hi,

I have a question:

If my father has his Mauritian Citizenship and Passport by Naturalization (he was born in South Africa, his father was born in Mauritius-- ) He was granted his passport and became a citizen in 2011 do his children in anyway have the option to try obtain their citizenship / passport?
Thanks

kenjee

Hello Gen5 and welcome to Expat.com cheers.png

You may get citizenship. This issue has been discussed several times on the forum. I invite you to browse through the threads of our forum section :

Formalities and procedures in Mauritius

Threads such as this one may prove helpful : Mauritian Nationality by Descent

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

External

Sorry it may not be applicable since the father became a naturalized citizen :

BY DESCENT
A person born outside Mauritius is a citizen of Mauritius under section 20(3) and 23 of the Constitution if either of his parents is a citizen of Mauritius by birth .

http://pmo.govmu.org/English/dha/Mandat … NSHIP.aspx

Best to check with the permanent secretary at the Ministry

AndersonDrew

Hello,

I happened across this and was hoping you could help please. My partner has a son who is a minor (5 years old) and he is of Mauritian descent by his father. My partner and the father were never married. Is the son eligible for Mauritian citizenship and if so is this something the father can obtain in the sons name. The father was born in Mauritius but moved abroad. Cheers.

Andrew

AndersonDrew

Hello,

This is a topic of great interest to me. My partner has a son whose father holds Mauritian citizenship but they were never married. The child is very young. Would the child be eligible for citizenship and a Mauritian passport? She is concerned that the father might get these things without her knowledge and essentially do a runner so to speak and leave the country for Mauritius. Please help if you can, she's very worried.

Andrew

Julien

please read the instructions on the PMO's website http://pmo.govmu.org/English/dha/Mandat … NSHIP.aspx

AndersonDrew

Was that in reply to me? I have seen sources that say if the father is the citizen that the parents would have had to be married for the child to qualify for citizenship. However the link you gave me does not specify.

Gen5

i know from my father.... his father was born in Mauritius, his mother was born in SA. He got his passport due to his father and under Naturalisation after the age of 21
He holds both a South African and Mauritian Passport and Citizenship in both countries.
Its a rather complex process which requires copies of BOTH parents ID's no matter what country each parent is from

lizzybron

I heard that the children would have to live in Mauritius for four years in order to qualify for citizenship ??

AndersonDrew

Well in this case her worry was he would do it for the child without her knowledge and use it as a way to essentially steal the child from her. Seems that isn't possible with both parents info and consent being required

External
AndersonDrew wrote:

Well in this case her worry was he would do it for the child without her knowledge and use it as a way to essentially steal the child from her. Seems that isn't possible with both parents info and consent being required

With all due respect, pure poppycock !
No need for the child to gain Mauritian citizenship if the father decides ( with repercussion for sure) to take the child away from wherever they are presently living.  It is how vigilant the authorities are when they fly out from a country ( a child with only one parent! ) . Normally at check-in and control  they would ask for a letter from the absentee parent ( in this case the mother) to allow the father and child to travel from their  place  of residence.

Just read about all the stories about missing children from divorced parents.

Matt1965

I can help as I have personal experience. My wifes parents are both Mauritian by birth. My wife was therefore entitled to, and has obtained Mauritian citizenship, Mauritian passport and Mauritius ID card, even though my wife is British-born. Unfortunately even though my wife is a  citizen, I am not entitled to citizenship, nor are our children because my wife is a naturalised citizen, not a birth citizen.

Coralamy

My Husband is Mauritian born and has lived in England for 42 years, I have been married to him for 40 years, my children have Mauritian passports and I have been told that I would have to live in Mauritius for six months before I would be allowed one, is this information correct?  We holiday in Mauritius every year but can only stay four week-six weeks due to family commitments
Coral

daisymay2

I am married to a Mauritian guy and obtained residency 4 years ago.
We also own property in Mauritius.
I understand that I have to be resident for 4 years before I can apply for Mauritian citizenship.
It anyone knows any different that would be nice to know.

External
Coralamy wrote:

My Husband is Mauritian born and has lived in England for 42 years, I have been married to him for 40 years, my children have Mauritian passports and I have been told that I would have to live in Mauritius for six months before I would be allowed one, is this information correct?  We holiday in Mauritius every year but can only stay four week-six weeks due to family commitments
Coral

I believe you've been misled.
How can you get a Mauritian passport if you are not a Mauritian Citizen.

To become a citizen:
REGISTRATION OF FOREIGN SPOUSES OF MAURITIAN CITIZENSUnder section 7 of the Mauritius Citizenship Act, the foreign spouse of a Mauritian citizen may be registered as a citizen of Mauritius, if he/she has resided with his/her spouse under the same conjugal roof in Mauritius for an aggregate period of four years immediately preceding the date of his application.Application for registration under section 7 of the Mauritius Citizenship Act, shall be submitted to the Secretary for Home Affairs in the form set out at Appendix IV. The application shall be subscribed in the presence of a Judge or the Master and Registrar of the Supreme Court or a District Magistrate.

External
Matt1965 wrote:

I can help as I have personal experience. My wifes parents are both Mauritian by birth. My wife was therefore entitled to, and has obtained Mauritian citizenship, Mauritian passport and Mauritius ID card, even though my wife is British-born. Unfortunately even though my wife is a  citizen, I am not entitled to citizenship, nor are our children because my wife is a naturalised citizen, not a birth citizen.

After 5 years of residence on the island, you may try to get the citizenship: Under section 5 of the Mauritius Citizenship Act a Commonwealth citizen may be registered as a citizen of Mauritius, if he has resided in Mauritius for a continuous period of 5 years or such shorter period (not being less than 12 months ) as the Minister may in the special circumstances of any particular case accept, immediately preceding the date of his application.

Coralamy

Many Thanks for the replys, 
I have just one last question,  what kind of special circumstance are we looking at for a wife of 40years, married to a born Mauritian for her to obtain a passport if at present she is unable to live in Mauritius for 12 months?
Coral

jessica1985

Hi Coralamy,

I got my mauritian citizenship last year. I have been married with a mauritian and living on the island for 7 years. You have lo be here 4 x 365 days to apply for citizenship. Every time you leave the island they deduct those days.
Hope it helps,
Jessica

External
Coralamy wrote:

Many Thanks for the replys, 
I have just one last question,  what kind of special circumstance are we looking at for a wife of 40years, married to a born Mauritian for her to obtain a passport if at present she is unable to live in Mauritius for 12 months?
Coral

To get a Mauritian passport , one has to be a Mauritian citizen and to become a citizen one has  to reside on the island for 4 years  ( or the equivalent of 4*365 days as explained above) with the spouse before applying to the PMO .

Matt1965

But how do i get permission to reside in Mauritius for 5 years in order to obtain citizenship? This is the bit I don't understand.

External
Matt1965 wrote:

But how do i get permission to reside in Mauritius for 5 years in order to obtain citizenship? This is the bit I don't understand.

As a Commonwealth citizen

Matt1965

Huh ?? This makes no sense. Are you saying that because I am a Commonwealth citizen, I can just arrive at Mauritius airport with a one-way ticket and tell the immigration officer at the airport that I'm staying for 5 years even though I am a British citizen, with no Mauritian passport, no Mauritian i/d, and he will say " ok no problem?"
I don't think so !

External

Did you at least read what I posted in post #16 and click on the link to get you to that section instead of making silly scenario?

Please do read the information you are being provided - the agent at the airport is not the Minister and you have to have stayed on the island for a period of time. hmm.png

you said your wife has got her citizenship didn't you ?

daisymay2

Surely its easier just to meet the 4 year residency of a spouse to apply for citizenship than the 5 year requirements listed under the Commonwealth scheme?
Also did I read correctly that is says in the latter that you must renounce your citizenship if applying that way?  Quote:

<<  Application for registration under section 5 of the Mauritius Citizenship Act shall be accompanied by a declaration of renunciation ,in the form set out at Appendix II, to the effect that applicant renounces any citizenship which he may possess  >>

Simply apply for Residency and then after 4 years you can apply for citizenship?

Or am I missing something here?

External
daisymay2 wrote:

Simply apply for Residency and then after 4 years you can apply for citizenship?

Or am I missing something here?

His wife got her citizenship by Jus sanguinis (Latin: right of blood)  or commonly said "by descent" .
It is a principle of nationality law by which citizenship is not determined by place of birth but by having one or both parents who are citizens of the state.

Thus she can't transmit that privilege either to her spouse or to her children.

As far as renouncing one's citizenship - should check with the Ministry because they may have change the laws  ( they did indeed change it for mauritians who took a second nationality  at one point in time and then reverted back to being free to take another nationality )

Matt1965

Yes I did read your post no 16. Your post seemed to imply that because I am a Commonwealth citizen that I can turn up and live in Mauritius for 5 years just because my wife has citizenship. We have already been to the Immigration office in Port Louis to discuss this. I cannot just turn up and stay for 5 years.
Thats why I said your post makes no sense.

derekp219

My Wife is Mauritian, and both her children   qualify for citizenship.  As usual there are some for filling and it can take a couple of months for it to be finalised. ( Govt works slow here.)

nimpit00

Hi Matt. Saw your post about the citizenship. Do you and your children at any stage gain citizenship? Thanks Dean

clintonjay

I also heard that the PMO might decide not to grant YOU citizenship even after completing the 5yrs of your residency as a spouse of a mauritian citizen by birth.

WinstonH
clintonjay wrote:

I also heard that the PMO might decide not to grant YOU citizenship even after completing the 5yrs of your residency as a spouse of a mauritian citizen by birth.

Yes, the PMO has the final say on anything regarding citizenship or even permanent residency.

Even if you qualify both regarding the number of years and the paperwork, your request might get turned down for a number of reasons like national security or if you have been convicted of a misdemeanor or if your your contribution to the country be it on any aspect (economic, social, diplomatic, etc) has been nil.

Also to be noted is that the PMO has the right to revoke any formally granted citizenship.

Sarah9966

Hello @Gen I was wondering if you found out if this was possible. I am in the same situation.

Couvedefreit

I have been told it is at the discression of the Department

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Retiring in Mauritius
    Retiring in Mauritius

Mauritius is rapidly becoming a hub for foreign retirees. To provide for the growing interest, in addition to the ...

• Customs in Mauritius
    Customs in Mauritius

As you embark on your expatriate journey to the picturesque shores of Mauritius, navigating the intricacies of ...

• Traveling to Mauritius
    Traveling to Mauritius

Are you looking to move to Mauritius on a short-term visa to scout for opportunities or to get a feel of life on ...

• Retire in Mauritius
    Retire in Mauritius

Do you want to spend the rest of your life gazing at seemingly endless stripes of warm sand, swinging your golf ...

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles