In retrospect, would you move again to Mongolia?

Hi all,

If you had to look back on your expat experience in Mongolia, would you heartily say "let's do it again"?

From the preparation stage to your actual everyday life in your new country, what did you enjoy the most?

Would you do certain things differently? Could you tell us why?

How would you describe the benefits of your expatriation in Mongolia so far?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience. We look forward to hearing from you!

Christine

Stop dreaming up "topics" most Expats have left, or are leaving, only leaving ones who are married to locals, or poor souls that work for an overseas company and have to stick it out, best just forget Expat.com on Mongolia, maybe open it again in 2018.

I will always want to come back to Mongolia if ever i'm out to another country

@ Formichinoo ont think that way,its not only poor souls or who are married to Mongolian likes to come back to Mongolia,you can or should only talk for yourself and not thinking like you are the best or have something better at hand

man i would like to know more about Mongolia please

@ Chinykenwaeze > I think that it is best if you can create a new thread on the Mongolia forum, this thread is not appropriate as this discussion is meant for the expats who are already in Mongolia. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla

@Priscilla>please i am new here i have no idea how it works..but it would be a pleasure if i have your Facebook ID or have you on Whatsapp contact so that we can officially help me out on how things works in Mongolia cos i will be coming to the country soon

Thank you

Chibykenwaeze

If you had to look back on your expat experience in Mongolia, would you heartily say "let's do it again"?

I would whole-heartily do so again. although Mongolia is better suited for some than others. From the perspective of an Expat from the west, you need a sense of adventure and love for open ranges. The person who is always searching for wisdom or what lies just over the mountain top are best suited for this ancient land. Although may not be a popular viewpoint, Mongolia is better suited to male Expats than female (especially from the West). Many western females have difficulty adapting here, as local women have a traditional role, much different than their peers from the west, and many unwilling to assimilate. This is not to say that “all” western females have challenges – several adapt, go with the flow, willing to compromise their pride. The result is always a very positive and rewarding experience for those who do,  and will remember for a lifetime.  Expat men seem to thrive and prosper in this environment.

From the preparation stage to your actual everyday life in your new country, what did you enjoy the most?

I worked for a large mining corporate during my 17 month stint. I have traveled and stayed in many countries, however, none did I enjoy more than Mongolia. I loved working with those whom I was contracted through here, and the daily routine I adopted. I had a small circle of Expats who I was professionally connected, and a few locals I spent time in the company of. I dated many of the local ladies during my early arrival, as they were so much more physically attractive and interesting than Asian ladies I had met in other countries. I have said many times that the Mongolian ladies are perhaps the most beautiful and alluring of any culture in the world. Because of this, I was burning the candle at both ends, and although did not interfere with my professional responsibilities, had to make a choice and cool my romantic jets somewhat. Although I could have easily seen myself marrying a Mongolian lady, she would have a difficult time acclimating abroad due to the life she is familiar, and made a commitment to keep my nose to the grindstone.

Would you do certain things differently? Could you tell us why?

I am unsure if I would have did anything differently. I like to think of myself as a disciplined, level-headed individual who generally looks before he leaps. I had no challenges or uncomfortable moments from a professional or social aspect (if you do not count my fiasco dealing with the IRS). My advise to new Expats, do not be fearful of your new home, instead welcome it into your heart with open arms, which includes its people. This does not mean that you allow yourself to be cheated or swindled in the market, however, once you begin making connections (both Expat and local) everything will become more seamless and rewarding.

How would you describe the benefits of your expatriation in Mongolia so far?

Each country I have spent time has shaped me in different ways. The primary benefit I received while living in Mongolia, was augmented tolerance for other cultures and people. We are not much different really, we all have the capacity to love and hate, compassion and acrimony, retribution and forgiveness. The Mongolian people taught me we are not alone in this world re: our hopes, dreams and endeavor to be happy.

Having traveled and worked around the world for 40+ years I too would head to Mongolia again.Lovely people, beautiful country. Have good friends there.