Mining Industry

Hey folks! my boyfriend and me we wanna go to perth nex year in summer...ill be doing an internship over there and my man wants to work, so some friends of us told us that he could gain an insane amount of money in a short time in the mining industry, is that true?does someone maybe know anything about it? i mean mining industry sounds like he has to work in the mines for 2 weeks and then he has to weeks off, is it lie that? does anyone have experience with this? thank you very much in advance for your help, cheerio, Tatjana :)

Welcome to the forum MissTaty :)

I hope other members will bring their input concerning the mining industry around Perth.

Regards ;)

MissTaty,

I am not currently in Perth, Wa but im trying to get over as well for the mining industry. Im a Geologist and am looking for a job. I can tell you that most jobs are set up on a rotation, 2 wks on: 1 off or 12 days on: 5 off something along those lines. Some of the jobs you can drive to but others you will be flown in and flown out called (fly in/ fly out). I would assume getting to Perth then finding a job would be much more promising or more of a Guarantee.

Hi All,
I moved here from Texas and now am living in Perth, moved here 3 1/2 yrs ago, and have worked in the mining recruitment sector. So I can tell you a little about the mining industry.

There's two areas you can have a look at:
remote construction site (usually two weeks on, two weeks off- flyin/fly out, sometimes 4 weeks on two off).
Or remote mine site (usually two weeks on 1 week off, or 9 days on and 5 days off)
And yes, the money is excellent. Just going up on site as a CLEANER, people start out at $60-70,000 annually. I've recruited for various positions and $60 is the minimum I've offered, maximum, well, it all depends on what kind of position you're after. No skills or experience, expect $60-70k. With minimum skills, $70-90, lots of skills, experience and degrees, the sky is the limit. I have a friend whos an engineer making $220,000. 

Bear in mind, before applying, that these are 12 hour days in very remote sites. Most site will  have a few luxuries like an onsite pool, entertainment area with big screen television and pool tables, barbecue grills, etc. (Just make sure you ask when you land an interview because some have NOTHING!)In the summer, some of these locations are very hot conditions too.

Also, most sites will require you to obtain a few certificates before they will even look at your application. Some common ones to look into when you get here are Marcsta, and HR license, and Dangerous goods. Theres also the snake handling certificate (thats my fav, and yes, I'm serious)although most places don't require it, but like it if you have it.

If your boyfriend, or anyone reading who may also be considering coming to work in the mines, has a skill, or previous experience working on remote sites, or working in construction, upper level management, working in the hospitality industry (hotel or commercial cleaning, working as a chef, driving a bus, etc) these will all be looked upon favorably. When you get here, ask around, look on some websites and find out what kind of license and certificates they're looking for. And work your way towards getting them, as some can take time. Expect to find a local job in the meantime (lots of employment opportunities in Perth), while you work towards getting the necessary licenses or certificates for working in the mines. But beware, some companies won't hire you if they think you're going to go off to the mines the first chance you get. while this may be true, sometimes, the less they know the better.
The most important thing to tell you about getting any kind of remote work is this: persistance is key!
There are thousands of Australians wanting to work in the mines, and you being from another country, it's difficult for them to complete reference checks, etc. The first people they look at are people who have already worked in the mines on remote sites. They have deadlines to meet, so when they get desperate, they will start looking at others without that experience. Keep plugging resumes through their websites (I'll give you a few companies to look at in a moment) and through seek.com.au, that's where most of them will advertise. Also look at recruitmenet companies that support the mining sectors, such as Hayes recruitment, or Skilled. Blow  up their inboxes with your resume. send it two or three times until you get a phone call. Or better yet call them. You may not get the first one you apply for, but you might get the third or fourth or tenth one you apply for. Bring written references from previous employers. I've seen other recruitment companies that just won't bother hiring you because they don't want to bother chasing your references because of the time difference. So bring written ones if at all possible, email addresses of previous supervisor is good if you can get it too.

Also, be willing to take a lower level job than what you're expecting. It won't take long to work your way up if you're patient.
Be willing to compromise on the shift you work as well. some require you to rotate, some require you go in on a night shift, some will be all days, just depends on the company
:)
The remote sites aren't for everyone. You're away from your friends, your family and you're working long hard days. If you have a beef with someone at work, you still gotta go home with that person in the evening (or morning, whichever shift you're on). You may not share rooms with people, but they're still in a close vacinity when you're not at work. It takes people who are laid back, non-arrogant, team players to get on at jobs like these. You gotta be willing to give and take.

I've been out of the mining sector for a while now, so if anyone has any more info to add that may be helpful, please feel free to do so. I should also mention that I was an internal recruiter for a mining hospitality group, so take it all with a grain of salt. I can only tell you what I know from my own limited experiences.
Here are a few mining companiees to look at.
BHP Billiton (Resources)
HWE Mining and Resources
Rio Tinto (Iron Ore)
Morris Corporation (for hospitality)
Compass Group
Sodexo (hospitality)
andeco (construction)

Hope all of this helps.

Regards,

Ames35

thank you so much folks, its really helping :)

To ames35:

Did you have a work sponsored 457 visa prior to leaving Texas or did you pay the higher 475 visa costs?  I am Environmental consultant in the Oil and Gas industry and am also looking to relocate to Australia, just having some issues with sponsorship!

Is there anyone from Perth that can tell me more about the CEO of Argon Technology? He has kept himself low profile and therefore not much information about him that I can get. I have heard he is one of the popular engineering faces of the industrial sector of Perth. Is it true?