East coast Canadian looking for visiting advice

I am a 48 (or 24 twice) yr old guy arriving in San Jaun the evening of Sat Feb 5 and leaving the following Friday morning. Other than picking up car rental, everything else is open and flexible.

I plan to spend some time on beach when weather is cooperating and have a few must doos when it isn't.

Visit a coffee plantation... I work for a coffee distributor
Visit Baccardi distillery
Find the spot that is exactly 3000 km due south of my house in Saint john, New Brunswick....abot 30 km ssw of San Jaun in Caguas area

Im also interested in unique geography...read there are some interesting caves in PR

Local cusine...not a fan of national chains

Sooo....should I make base camp in San Juan or elsewhere?...Modest Hotel\Motel reccpomendations?....Other 'must do' suggestions?...places to avoid?

Thanks in advance for any and all help

Rob

Yes, base yourself in San Juan. If you like the beach, Isla Verde is a great area...best beach in the San Juan area.

There are many hotels in the area... if you stay on the beach, it would be more expensive. Some hotels a few blocks from the beach:
Hampton Inn, Embassy suites, Verdanza, Holiday Inn..

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the reply...Im now thinking of spending the 1st and last 2 nights in San Juan. Any suggestions for the rest of my stay?...Also I shoud edit beach bit. as long as it is warmer than here (garanteed) and not raining I will be happy on a patio or pool side.

Any other suggestions?

HAPPY NEW YEAR...hope everyone's 2011 is even better than 2010

Rob

Puerto Rico will be hot...as for other places to stay: try Rincon or Fajardo

Also, you may want to try Culebra if you have the time...an island off the coast of Puerto Rico.

or vieques...another island off the coast of Puerto Rico.

Happy New Year Rob!

The east coast is usually less expensive than the city.  There are a few privately owned bed & breakfast places on the east coast just a short drive from nature reserves, bio-luminescent bays, rain forest, beaches and ferries to other little islands not far off the coast.  Fajardo (About an hour east from San Juan) is a great suggestion to be close to this hub of activity!  Also at the beach in Loquillo there are several food vendors that will fill your tummy with all manner of local goodies. Hope this helps, hit me up if you need any other suggestions about caves and water fun. :)