Absolutely Anything Else

fluffy2560 wrote:

I hope they give her a gold star.  I wish we were all getting it here.  Then we might be able to travel.  But it seems to be getting worse in the UK with the hotel quarantine.  Very expensive at something like £1750 a person.  Like 5* luxury for that kind of money.   

In my mind, it's just not worth going there if there is any quarantine.  I'd like to see my relatives and particularly my Dad but it's impossible until the vaccination programme has fully been deployed and lockdown ends.

Sorry to hear about COPD - explains the cough.  My mother had a severe heart condition which meant her lungs were always full of liquid.  Not the same but perhaps similar effects.  Feel for you.

I think it's quite clear what the Government purpose is in this; firstly, stop the casual traveller (there are still plenty of exemptions to the rule) and then, secondly, take back the headlines until Boris makes his speech on the way ahead on 15 Feb, which will then be consumed in the media crush about schools and the teachers unions telling us we're all doomed because of a mental health pandemic and the beginning of the 2nd jab programme, which will take us nicely into the summer.  So, situation normal really.  I should also add that even before this change yesterday, you going to see your dad, or me my daughter was essentially illegal in the UK.  Essential travel only and that gets decided by the guy in the dark suit at Immigration control, not you or me.  I must admit I like winding them up, last time I came back I brought a new office chair with me, he asked me why I had it (I was essentially drawing attention to myself and in doing so raising questions about my reasons for travel), I told him to sit on, he smiled, waived me though and wished me a nice quarantine.

Incidentally, my COPD began with a heart infection (pericarditis), which my surgeon told me probably started off as a tooth infection I'd had a few weeks before; my long-distance commuting with my job and unhealthy diet did the rest; moral of the story, your teeth are more important than some people think.

Hah - just realised; this 10 year jail sentence is nothing new and doesn't need any new act of parliament to enact; it's the maximum permissible under the 2006 UK Fraud Act.

Just got home from my eye surgery, all that stress for nothing,It wasn't terrible although right now I do look like a pirate with a patched eye.
Think the path will come off at my control/check up.
I thought I'd be in all day long but as soon as it was over with they got me dressed and said bye. My husband didn't wait around, I was to ring him up. No answer so I just walked home alone, mask, eye patch and bit woozy from the relax pill they gave me.Might of appeared as a morning drunk on the street.
Crazy, I'd rather walk home alone then stay in hospital a second longer then I have to. Turned out he was home after all, just watching Netflix with his headphones on! Crazy because I rang and rang the buzzer and sat out in the lobby waiting for him t return home. He told me not to bring my keys with me because they might get lost. Not listening to that advice again.I could of sat till midnight if I waited on him to pick me up.
The doc said I was C-19 neg. but still I had to answer a ton of questions about who I saw and where I've been , any fevers or any running nose issues. All Neg.
Plan on keeping it that way.
Ok, have a great day everyone, think I'll get some shut eye, literally!

Cynic wrote:

I think it's quite clear what the Government purpose is in this; firstly, stop the casual traveller (there are still plenty of exemptions to the rule) and then, secondly, take back the headlines until Boris makes his speech on the way ahead on 15 Feb, which will then be consumed in the media crush about schools and the teachers unions telling us we're all doomed because of a mental health pandemic and the beginning of the 2nd jab programme, which will take us nicely into the summer.  So, situation normal really.  I should also add that even before this change yesterday, you going to see your dad, or me my daughter was essentially illegal in the UK.  Essential travel only and that gets decided by the guy in the dark suit at Immigration control, not you or me.  I must admit I like winding them up, last time I came back I brought a new office chair with me, he asked me why I had it (I was essentially drawing attention to myself and in doing so raising questions about my reasons for travel), I told him to sit on, he smiled, waived me though and wished me a nice quarantine.

Incidentally, my COPD began with a heart infection (pericarditis), which my surgeon told me probably started off as a tooth infection I'd had a few weeks before; my long-distance commuting with my job and unhealthy diet did the rest; moral of the story, your teeth are more important than some people think.

I looked at the 33 countries on the red list and most of them are countries it would be unusual to visit like Tanzania (they are totally in denial about COVID19).  I cannot see anyone paying that kind of money to visit the UK.  It's mega expensive at the price of GBP 1750.  Others like Portugal and South Africa are obviously more mainstream but still, it's a bit high on the cash. 

It's still not clear if I can visit my Dad or not.  At the moment I'm thinking just wait until April and it's a reducing risk for him and I.   It's a bit of a declining balance, he's not getting any younger so the longer this goes on, the less chance I have to see him.   

Mrs Fluffy is saying she falls into the lowest category is 18-59 year olds with no conditions.  Apparently they now say  here that refusing the Chinese or Russian vaccines will mean being pushed to the lowest category regardless of risk.  So there will 5 people in the queue for Russian and Chinese and 1 million waiting for Western ones.   Suggestion is August at the earliest for Western vaccine chances.   

Border control is a bit Kafkaesque anyway. British citizens cannot be denied entry to the UK anyway because as British citizens, they are not subject to border control.  So oddly, showing your passport shows you are not  subject to it.  So enough logic failure to cause my head to implode.

I know about that teeth business.  They really reflect so much about the body. Tongue too. But you had it far worse. 

I used to suffer from terrible jaw ache and my teeth hurting.  Seemed to be sensitivity to hot and cold.   I'd been to multiple dentists, had fillings replaced etc and doctors had pushed and prodded me.  As it happened I was looking at some anatomy pictures to try and work out myself what was going on and I noticed a set of nerves running from the jaw, down the neck, down the oesophagus to the stomach.  As it happens I'd been having stomach issues  for some years. As soon as I realised that it wasn't my jaw and teeth but further down with irritation and sensitivity to certain foods and hot drinks.  Told the docs and they said to try and change my diet to see what happened.  And yup, I stopped eating those and it more or less went away.  That took years to work out. Why the medics didn't think about it I don't know. I still get stomach twinges and yes, my jaw and teeth ache when that occurs.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Just got home from my eye surgery, all that stress for nothing,It wasn't terrible although right now I do look like a pirate with a patched eye.
I thought I'd be in all day long but as soon as it was over with they got me dressed and said bye. My husband didn't wait around, I was to ring him up. No answer so I just walked home alone, mask, eye patch and bit woozy from the relax pill they gave me.Might of appeared as a morning drunk on the street.

Maybe you can get a part in the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie?   

Keep away from Johnny Depp and you'll be fine. 

Interested to know how much your eyesight is better. 

Would a replacement lens mean no more glasses on that side? 

I am assuming you had glasses before.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Hi all,
Just gt in from getting my eye exam and the patch taken off.
OMG!! I feel like I am on LSD!! Colors and colors depth and depth and I still need the other eye done and glasses in the end.
Amazing, I wish I could legally tip this doctor because for the first time ever I feel like it would be worth every penny and then some. She is really good and very nice too.
Why did I ever allow my eyesight to get so bad? I guess we just get used to things.
Down side is I can see ever flaw in our flat and there are a million of them!
My poor husband is going to be busy soon enough with repairs now!
I looked in the mirror in the eye clinic and almost screamed. dang I think it's time to slab on the clown face again! Of course I still had that ugly yellow stuff on my face from surgery, that anti-infection stuff they put all over, I look Yellow!
Then again seeing clear everyone looked strange to me, I could even see the eyebrows on people on the other side of the street. Hardly could even see my own in a 10X magnification mirror!
Perhaps God in his mercy makes people lose their eyesight as they age!
Now I have to put on some readers to type, next month the other eye will be fixed  then some real glasses.
You never know I may start a hobby of painting miniatures.
Funny thing is I thought our bathroom had a tan and cream wall covering but it is actually an ugly mustard color with yellow.Down side to everything...
My advice is not to wait if you think your eyes are going, I wasted too much time being half blind.
It really is the difference of day or night.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Hi all,
OMG!! I feel like I am on LSD!! Colors and colors depth and depth and I still need the other eye done and glasses in the end.
Amazing, I wish I could legally tip this doctor because for the first time ever I feel like it would be worth every penny and then some. She is really good and very nice too.
I looked in the mirror in the eye clinic and almost screamed. dang I think it's time to slab on the clown face again! Of course I still had that ugly yellow stuff on my face from surgery, that anti-infection stuff they put all over, I look Yellow!
Then again seeing clear everyone looked strange to me, I could even see the eyebrows on people on ......
My advice is not to wait if you think your eyes are going, I wasted too much time being half blind.

Wow, that sounds like a super result!  Excellent!  This kind of surgery is mega-popular and safe. 

That yellow stuff will wash off.    People might think you are looking patchily jaundiced.

But I am wondering why you need glasses?  Surely they could have fixed that at the same time? Or are the glasses temporary?

I considered laser correction but decided against it as it's not really right for diabetics and I couldn't do any heavy lifting for a month.  At the time it was important to be able to do heavy work. But that was way back when when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Hi all,
Then again seeing clear everyone looked strange to me, I could even see the eyebrows on people on ......

Wow, that sounds like a super result!  Excellent!  This kind of surgery is mega-popular and safe. 

That yellow stuff will wash off.    People might think you are looking patchily jaundiced.

But I am wondering why you need glasses?  Surely they could have fixed that at the same time? Or are the glasses temporary?

I considered laser correction but decided against it as it's not really right for diabetics and I couldn't do any heavy lifting for a month.  At the time it was important to be able to do heavy work. But that was way back when when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

My doc is great but her English is middle of the road. Between her and my husband and their translations I am a bit confused.
From what I gather they make custom lenses for each eye and depending on what
is wrong, they make the new cornea for either far away or up close.
I am using some old readers right now, didn't need them before the surgery.
Doc said I'd need them temp. and to use any old cheap ones that were at least over 2 1/2 strong.
Don't like using them at all but we will see what's up after the next eye is done.
The solution is a real pair of glasses made for my own issue.
I asked the doc yesterday if after the next surgery and some glasses if she thought I'd be able to drive. She sort of had a look of doubt on her face...oh well. I can drive in the US, scray to think they are so lack there and any half blind bat can drive the highways!
I'm sort of glad Hungary has their standards.
It's a bit of a shock to see so clear even if in only one eye for now.
Half the room is bright and if I turn my head a certain way it goes all dark.
I didn't know my left eye was so bad but it was my good eye. This cataract surgery is s gd that now my left eye is really bad compared to seeing in reality again. Like having a pair of young eyes again.
Well about time for my eye drops again. 5 times a day, 2 different drops.
My advice to anyone who has cataracts is to not wait to get them fixed.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My doc is great but her English is middle of the road. Between her and my husband and their translations I am a bit confused.
From what I gather they make custom lenses for each eye and depending on what
is wrong, they make the new cornea for either far away or up close.
I am using some old readers right now, didn't need them before the surgery.
Doc said I'd need them temp. and to use any old cheap ones that were at least over 2 1/2 strong.
Don't like using them at all but we will see what's up after the next eye is done.
The solution is a real pair of glasses made for my own issue.
I asked the doc yesterday if after the next surgery and some glasses if she thought I'd be able to drive. She sort of had a look of doubt on her face...oh well. I can drive in the US, scray to think they are so lack there and any half blind bat can drive the highways!
I'm sort of glad Hungary has their standards.
My advice to anyone who has cataracts is to not wait to get them fixed.

It sounds such a good result.   I've heard that cataracts have to be "ready" to be worked on.  Too early is not a good idea.

Mrs Fluffy was saying they cannot correct eyesight over a certain age but that surprised me  as I thought they could do it anytime.  I didn't know they make them especially for each eye.  I wondered if they were all the same and then they used a machine to get them the right shape when they'd fixed it to the eyeball.  Bit like the blanks they use for glasses and then they shape them before putting them in the frames.

My Mum was half-blind and she still had a driving license but didn't drive a car for at least the last 10 years of her life.   

One of my relatives has Parkinson's and still driving but takes very strong medicines which controls his ticks/jerks.  Even thinking of buying a new car!

My old next door neighbor and  friend was born in Honolulu to a US military officer. She grew up in Hawaii and moved to Maui.
Her husband was Hawaiian and she learned to Hula and surf growing up in the Islands. She even spoke,"pigeon English" when dealing with locals or her in-laws.
Her FIL was super traditional and wanted to spend time with his 2 grandchildren. The girl was 2 and the boy just a month older then my son, an infant at the time.
Her FIL had a stroke and half his body was paralyzed. He still drove those windy hilly roads with one arm which freaked my friend out when he insisted to take his grandkids with him, alone. He also smoked so he often drove hands free while he puffed away.God, he may of even been smoking some Maui Wowie for all I know.
I caused many verbal fights between my friend and her husband.

I am NOW doing a bit of research on cataracts.
Weird, I don't wish to know anything much pre surgery, now after the fact I can read about it without fear.
It seems they do a Intraocular lens implant. I do not think they remove your cornea because that would require a doner cornea.. from a dead person.
I was up in arms and terribly upset when my sister passed 28 years ago. At the time the L.A. Time newspapers was running articles about misdeeds at the coroner's  office .They were doing to in back door deals for more income.
They mentioned they were removing the cornea's from the deceased without the OK from families and getting permission to do so.
No way to prove they did this to my sister or not but the timeline was right , ripe for the pickings, so to speak.
My mother told us all the time that when she passed we should ask for her gold teeth in the back of her mouth! She said for sure they would pull her teeth out before deposing of her.
Of course we never asked to get her teeth but it sounds like these underhanded things done by undertakers have been going on for ages.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I am NOW doing a bit of research on cataracts.
Weird, I don't wish to know anything much pre surgery, now after the fact I can read about it without fear.
It seems they do a Intraocular lens implant. I do not think they remove your cornea because that would require a donor cornea.. from a dead person.
I was up in arms and terribly upset when my sister passed 28 years ago. At the time the L.A. Time newspapers was running articles about misdeeds at the coroner's  office .They were doing to in back door deals for more income.
They mentioned they were removing the cornea's from the deceased without the OK from families and getting permission to do so.
No way to prove they did this to my sister or not but the timeline was right , ripe for the pickings, so to speak.
My mother told us all the time that when she passed we should ask for her gold teeth in the back of her mouth! She said for sure they would pull her teeth out before deposing of her.
Of course we never asked to get her teeth but it sounds like these underhanded things done by undertakers have been going on for ages.

I'm not too worried about them taking bits off me to use elsewhere for transplant.  It's not like I'd be using these things anymore.  In my own country, it's now an opt-out system.  Used to be opt-in.   So it means they no longer need permission to use parts for others.   They do it through the driving license so if you have a driving license you're automatically included in the scheme.   The only thing I worry about when travelling is waking up in an ice bath with both my kidneys missing.   

I was talking to Mrs Fluffy about what goes on here and absolutely nothing is allowed on the body here - no jewellery or anything like that.   I suppose you can be dressed up if it's an open coffin but we think bodies do not have shoes on them as they contribution to pollution. 

Pacemakers they take out as the batteries would explode in fire.  They don't take out things like replacement hips or gold teeth of course as it's easier to recover them afterwards if they really wanted them.  But they grind it all up anyway.

In my own country, I cannot see this going on because two doctors have to look at the paperwork and/or the body and there are plenty of people working in the crematorium.  It'd have to be quite a conspiracy.   I was dealing with the paperwork for my mother's cremation so I had to read up on it.

For tomorrow, Tuesday 16 February:

It's Pancake Day aka Shrove Tuesday

Make pancakes!

fluffy2560 wrote:

Make pancakes!

So it is, but its a national dish here. Misses constantly makes them.

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Make pancakes!

So it is, but its a national dish here. Missus constantly makes them.

Same here really.   

You could pull double duty and have pancakes for Pancake Day and just as a general thing.

It was always a day which I remember my Mum making a special occasion.   

I throughly enjoyed stuffing my face with them when I came home from school.

We bought some pancake stuff on Friday, but then ate it all on Sunday - never mind eh.

Cynic wrote:

We bought some pancake stuff on Friday, but then ate it all on Sunday - never mind eh.

Never mind indeed but to keep traditional,  one could just buy some more.   No-one would question eating the reasons why one is eating more pancakes again on Pancake Day.  Sunday was a dry run.  You could always go for the full Monty original and just mix it all up from the base ingredients rather than a packet of mix.  It's dead easy.   Think Yorkshire Puds but flat.

In fact I'm going to raise the issue of Pikelets because I think this is more what I would think of as pancake these days than the traditional palacsinta around here. 

If there was a choice I'd always go for Pikelets - with or without sultanas and/or banana.  Have to be sugar free of course.   Local versions are nice with ice cream and blueberries.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Cynic wrote:

Never  mind indeed but to keep traditional one could just buy some more.   No-one would question eating the reasons why one is eating more pancakes again on Pancake Day.  Sunday was a dry run.  You could always go for the full Monty original and just mix it all up from the base ingredients rather than a packet of mix.  It's dead easy.   Think Yorkshire Puds but flat.

In fact I'm going to raise the issue of Pikelets because I think this is more what I would think of as pancake these days than the traditional palacsinta around here. 

If there was a choice I'd always go for Pikelets - with or without sultanas and/or banana.  Have to be sugar free of course.   Local versions are nice with ice cream and blueberries.

LOL - yeah - thing is that pancakes are not that special in our house; like I've read elsewhere in here, "pannenkoeken" are a staple in Holland, albeit they put some really weird stuff on them, but it's the only place I've ever seen a Pancake Restaurant.  For me, it's streaky bacon, or maple syrup.  Nowadays, back here in the UK the Aldi and Lidl have ready made pancakes on the shelves 24/7; maple syrup is no longer "special".

I should add that with my American background, they have taken pancakes to another level.  When I make them, I do it the American way; when the kids were at home and we had pancakes, it was always "Dad's please".

What can I say, I am from the Netherlands, I liked Pannekoeken in the past (in Restaurants typically well prepared), when I do this myself it is a disaster. My favourite one (a year ago by now is in my local restaurant in Keszthely)

Cynic wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
Cynic wrote:

Never  mind indeed but to keep traditional one could just buy some more.   No-one would question eating the reasons why one is eating more pancakes again on Pancake Day.  Sunday was a dry run.  You could always go for the full Monty original and just mix it all up from the base ingredients rather than a packet of mix.  It's dead easy.   Think Yorkshire Puds but flat.

LOL - yeah - thing is that pancakes are not that special in our house; like I've read elsewhere in here, "pannenkoeken" are a staple in Holland, albeit they put some really weird stuff on them, but it's the only place I've ever seen a Pancake Restaurant.  For me, it's streaky bacon, or maple syrup.  Nowadays, back here in the UK the Aldi and Lidl have ready made pancakes on the shelves 24/7; maple syrup is no longer "special".

I should add that with my American background, they have taken pancakes to another level.  When I make them, I do it the American way; when the kids were at home and we had pancakes, it was always "Dad's please".

I hear you.  But it's the same with so many things ready made now like Hot X Buns.  Tescos in the UK sell ready made pikelets.  Not quite the same love in them.

You will have seen House of Pancakes in the USA of course. I was disappointed with that version. 

There was a Pancake restaurant in Amsterdam. Mrs Fluffy went there when we had visitors (when we lived in NL).  It was a traditional thing.    The only thing is that  it was crazy expensive.

Pancakes aren't that special in general but I was experiencing a little pancake nostalgia over my Mum making it a little bit special for us kids.  And there was the pancake racing and flipping contests. I was never sure when Pancake Day was coming.  It just seemed to be that day suddenly.  I didn't even know it was a religious thing until I was very much older.  Never cared about the religious thing, just liked the surprise delivery of pancakes.

I'd advise everyone to steer clear of maple syrup.  Fine as it may be, it's a total sugar bomb.

cdw057 wrote:

What can I say, I am from the Netherlands, I liked Pannekoeken in the past (in Restaurants typically well prepared), when I do this myself it is a disaster. My favourite one (a year ago by now is in my local restaurant in Keszthely)

Pannekoeken is one thing but stroopwafels, vla or rijstevlaai.  Stroopwafels will pull your fillings out your teeth or remove any bridges you may have.

Anything so truly scrumptious yet doing evil things to your teeth has to be the work of the devil.

fluffy2560 wrote:
cdw057 wrote:

Pannekoeken is one thing but stroopwafels, vla or rijstevlaai.  Stroopwafels will pull your fillings out your teeth or remove any bridges you may have.

Anything so truly scrumptious yet doing evil things to your teeth has to be the work of the devil.

My wife's brother eats vla met aardappels; cloggies are totally weird.

I have a serious issue with my teeth and whereas stroopwafels are very tasty (30 years or so ago) I do not dare to eat them, I have to say vlaaien are tast as well, not per se dangerous for fillings but too sweet and hence also dangerous, Hungarian "Palatschinken" are typically with meat and not sweet at all. (condition is that they are not prepared by myself :))

Unfortunately part of my life is governed by weak teeth and i have to forego part of the nicer things in life. (Strict regime, no sugar, no chocolate (even if as it seems to be healthy), no stroopwafels, ...)
I suppose pluses minuses to everything

I never was a fan of American pancakes with sweet syrup.
I always preferred it when my mom would make potato pancakes covered in sour cream. Was a huge hassle for  her back in the day before food processors ,she had to hand grate the spuds for 8 people and stand around frying for the longest time. We always had to sit and wait our turn for seconds.
I'm not a huge fan of the Hungarian version with cheese and jam inside or even with walnuts.
I like just the basic potato version.
A bit winded here ATM, just had my husband teach me how to ,"Do the Locomotion" he is a great dancer, too bad he never shows his stuff any longer.
You name the dance and he knows it, just not able to break dance.
Although honestly he never tired doing it.
It's a real shame I have 2 left feet and 2 bum knees, he never really gets too far with his dance lessons with me.
My mom loved dancing with him and so did all the elderly ladies years back here at the senior dances our old friend would take us to.
Dancing  is a lost art.
My mom knew all the ballroom dances but was also a jitter bugger as a teenager. I think that's really cool.
She also could tap dance.
Seems now days many of us are happy to just watch others doing things and not learning for ourselves. I know I'm like that very often.
My parents used to roll up the rug and dance with each other on a Sat. night with us children watching them.
Hardly think that happens much now in most homes.
My husband learned to dance because his sister who was 4 years older used to force him to do so before she had a date.
Later it was his calling card as a young man, all the girls wanted to dance with him at the clubs around Budapest.
Last time I really saw him kicking his heels was at an event in Erd where the whole town was in the streets dancing and having a great time. I was happy to watch him dance with a lady about his own age who knew the moves.
I always tell him to ask this women or that to dance so I can watch his moves. He says no one knows how to dance any longer and he refuses to dance with someone who doesn't know their stuff.
Only will dance with 2 left footed me.Not much fun I'd think for him.
It's been very lovely outside these past few days, sunny and crispy outdoors. Perfect winter weather.

Cynic wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
cdw057 wrote:

That's just strange but I'm presuming boiled potatoes. I can just about imagine that as a possibility.  Like mashed potato is quite nice with fried onions in it.

On the other hand I am totally in favour of the Benelux speciality of "frites met" (mayo).   

Driving from here to the UK, I always looked forward to the frites shop in Belgium on the motorway between about Liege and Lille. 

Fantastic frites and excellent mayo too.

cdw057 wrote:

I have a serious issue with my teeth and whereas stroopwafels are very tasty (30 years or so ago) I do not dare to eat them, I have to say vlaaien are tast as well, not per se dangerous for fillings but too sweet and hence also dangerous, Hungarian "Palatschinken" are typically with meat and not sweet at all. (condition is that they are not prepared by myself :))

Unfortunately part of my life is governed by weak teeth and i have to forego part of the nicer things in life. (Strict regime, no sugar, no chocolate (even if as it seems to be healthy), no stroopwafels, ...)
I suppose pluses minuses to everything

I'm usually avoiding all that stuff too. Palatscinta is doubly bad with both carbs and sugar.  It's a killer.   Vlaai is very sweet of course but to me it was like rice pudding in a cake.  I was addicted to that stuff way back when. 

If you do want some of that kind of thing, you could always try cukormentes stuff.  I don't believe personally that they are sugar free at all.  I think they are someone's half-thought out fantasy of sugar free stuff.   

Sugar free chocolate often has polyols in it as a substitute and too much of that means spending a lot of time in the bathroom.   Tiny amounts only.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Cynic wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

That's just strange but I'm presuming boiled potatoes. I can just about imagine that as a possibility.  Like mashed potato is quite nice with fried onions in it.

On the other hand I am totally in favour of the Benelux speciality of "frites met" (mayo).   

Driving from here to the UK, I always looked forward to the frites shop in Belgium on the motorway between about Liege and Lille. 

Fantastic frites and excellent mayo too.

Like the Dutch eat fried fish and chips (or patat/friet), yet the two together never seem to go down well; we've had about 5 British style Fish & Chip shops in Enschede, none have survived more than 18 months.

Having bad teeth is a shame. My poor hubby wears dentures now, he abused his teeth long ago by not going to repair them in time.
They scared the living heck out of him in Hungary when he was 8 or 9 when the school took everyone to the dentist. The dumb dentist filled about 8 teeth on him in one sitting!
After that he never went to a dentist again until his tooth was rotten and had to be pulled out.
I'm a freak about my teeth. They are one of the first things people notice about me when not wearing a mask. Big wide white teeth, total Mohawk look with a wide smile. If I was missing a tooth it would show like crazy.
I'm forever buying different brushes and trying things to keep them white. My red wine isn't good for them but a bi-monthly super scrub down helps,
The dentists always comment on my teeth, how nice they are and how strange they are. Have those "shovel" teeth. Most Indians and Asians have them.Can tell what nationality we are just by our teeth.
My poor sister had to have 4 teeth pulled before getting braces because our teeth are too large. Her jaw was small, too small for her teeth.
6 years of braces and head gear and she had perfect teeth.
That's a lifetime for a child to wear braces though.Made her tough to stand up with all the bullying she got in school.
All worked out, she became a model and was super pretty once they took those metal braces off. She had those extra 6 years to work on her brain and was ahead of the game in the end.
Funny how some family traits show up in the teeth.
My eldest sister has a large gap between her front teeth, just like our father had. My son also had that but I got him braces to fix it when he was young. Not sure if it was money well spent or not because it does give one a certain sort of look with that gap in the front.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I always preferred it when my mom would make potato pancakes covered in sour cream. Was a huge hassle for  her back in the day before food processors ,she had to hand grate the spuds for 8 people and stand around frying for the longest time. We always had to sit and wait our turn for seconds.
I'm not a huge fan of the Hungarian version with cheese and jam inside or even with walnuts.

Ah, that's what we British called fritters. 

Mrs Fluffy does that sometimes here but doesn't use anything but potatoes and dollop of the sour cream.   Certainly a food processor helps.  We've been trying home made langos recently and that's quite hard to get right but very nice with sour cream and/or cheese on top.  Really just a big flat donut.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

A bit winded here ATM, just had my husband teach me how to ,"Do the Locomotion" he is a great dancer, too bad he never shows his stuff any longer.

That sounds really cute and rather romantic to be doing that.   

But why is he teaching you to Do the Locomotion?   

Being able to dance is a great thing.  Our eldest Fluffyette is doing dancing for exercise.  Used to go to the local dance studio but COVID19 stopped it and now it's all on Zoom.   

We get taught some moves but I'm a little bit rusted up in the joints to really get into it.   I'm thinking of doing some self-physio. I'll need to get to Decathlon to buy one of those big exercise balls.  We've had several before but somehow the latest one has disappeared.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My nephew was break dancing champion at his university but I think he's got other priorities now as his missus has a bun in the oven.  It was very athletic and quite something to see him do it.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

It's been very lovely outside these past few days, sunny and crispy outdoors. Perfect winter weather.

It's very nice outside and definitely getting better but the low sun was a problem when I was fixing a car rear door earlier on.  I couldn't see what I was looking at but it was a beautiful blue sky.  We could see very clearly planes lining up for BUD airport today.  They usually slow down over the top of us.

Cynic wrote:

Like the Dutch eat fried fish and chips (or patat/friet), yet the two together never seem to go down well; we've had about 5 British style Fish & Chip shops in Enschede, none have survived more than 18 months.

I don't know. 

I seem to remember eating moules/frites up at the coast and one wouldn't think that would go together well.  I've even had that out in Asia.

Some of that fried stuff is awfully bad for you - frikadellen and loempia.  I like loempia but too much fried stuff is going to kill you.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Ah, that's what we British called fritters. 

Mrs Fluffy does that sometimes here but doesn't use anything but potatoes and dollop of the sour cream.   Certainly a food processor helps.  We've been trying home made langos recently and that's quite hard to get right but very nice with sour cream and/or cheese on top.  Really just a big flat donut.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

That sounds really cute and rather romantic to be doing that.   

But why is he teaching you to Do the Locomotion?   

Being able to dance is a great thing.  Our eldest Fluffyette is doing dancing for exercise.  Used to go to the local dance studio but COVID19 stopped it and now it's all on Zoom.   

We get taught some moves but I'm a little bit rusted up in the joints to really get into it.   I'm thinking of doing some self-physio. I'll need to get to Decathlon to buy one of those big exercise balls.  We've had several before but somehow the latest one has disappeared.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My nephew was break dancing champion at his university but I think he's got other priorities now as his missus has a bun in the oven.  It was very athletic and quite something to see him do it.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

It's very nice outside and definitely getting better but the low sun was a problem when I was fixing a car rear door earlier on.  I couldn't see what I was looking at but it was a beautiful blue sky.  We could see very clearly planes lining up for BUD airport today.  They usually slow down over the top of us.

It was all my doing. Had the radio on and The Locomotion came on. I asked him out of the blue to dance with me. We are a bit silly at times, have to keep things off beat or life gets dull.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

It was all my doing. Had the radio on and The Locomotion came on. I asked him out of the blue to dance with me. We are a bit silly at times, have to keep things off beat or life gets dull.

I thought you might be preparing to be on Hungary's Got Talent, jitterbugging your way to fame!

Nothing wrong with being silly here and there, especially in this very boring COVID19 universe. 

I'm starting to complain to Mrs Fluffy that I'm getting bored now.  Only so much work you can do without one's eyes glazing over. 

Neither of us can dance though.   I really want the better weather to come so I can get my bike out and do some cycling.   

We also have a list of things we want to do as long as my arm.  None of it to do with working.  Anything but work!

There's always Pancake Day tomorrow to break up the monotony.

Mrs Fluffy is making moussaka.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Cynic wrote:

I don't know. 

I seem to remember eating moules/frites up at the coast and one wouldn't think that would go together well.  I've even had that out in Asia.

Some of that fried stuff is awfully bad for you - frikadellen and loempia.  I like loempia but too much fried stuff is going to kill you.

My go to food in Holland is Shaorma (yes, I know it's not Dutch); anything else I can take it or leave it; if I'm forced into a cafetria, then patat oorlog met.

Cynic wrote:

My go to food in Holland is Shaorma (yes, I know it's not Dutch); anything else I can take it or leave it; if I'm forced into a cafeteria, then patat oorlog met.

Shoarma is an excellent choice anywhere.  I'd totally forgetten about that.   I don't think it's cultural appropriation.  Loempia and rijsttafel are top nosh.  Fusion perhaps. Maybe a bit like the UK balti export back to India.

War chips (US:fries), now there's a rather good idea. With chopped onions, lekker.    I don't remember it being called war fries but I see the point.

I would however draw a line under the dolloping of curry sauce which is an abomination.   Spicey slurry sauce dumped over chips. What a waste of good curry flavourings and good chips.

Might have to look up what shoarma is.
If it's Thai then it's going to be good.
No, not going in for a try out with Hungary's got Talent.
My only talent is putting my foot in my mouth.
Going retro here, listening to Aqualung.
Been years since I even thought about that LP.
I purchased it at age 15 when it came out. Spent all my babysitting money on my LP's.
Not many 15 year old girls were into Jethro Tull back then, no wonder my friends and I were called, "Weirdo's" in school.

Moving on to, "Thick as a Brick". wow forgot how good this music was.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Might have to look up what shoarma is.
If it's Thai then it's going to be good.
No, not going in for a try out with Hungary's got Talent.
My only talent is putting my foot in my mouth.
Going retro here, listening to Aqualung.
Been years since I even thought about that LP.
I purchased it at age 15 when it came out. Spent all my babysitting money on my LP's.
Not many 15 year old girls were into Jethro Tull back then, no wonder my friends and I were called, "Weirdo's" in school.

Moving on to, "Thick as a Brick". wow forgot how good this music was.

Shoarma is just like a kebab.   It's really nice especially in pita bread with some salad and some chilis and possibly some decent mayo on it.  It's Middle Eastern although I always thought it more as a Turkish thing.  Very tasty indeed.  I've eaten them all over that region. Yum!

Aqualung is a great album.   One of my brothers used to know Ian Anderson (lead singer of Jethro Tull) because Anderson had some salmon farms up in Scotland and it was related to my bro's business.  I don't think Anderson owns fish farms now which is a shame (I suppose).  I am not sure why Anderson disposed of his fish farms.  He was quite keen on them.  Maybe just got too old or sick.

I've been going through my old music and came across some songs that I always thought I could mash out in a bar, as long as it wasn't my gitbox I was ruining and somebody was buying me beer to do it:

Queen Bitch
Galveston
Dylan
Searchers

Sadly, the 1st 2 are no longer with us, the 3rd nowadays sings more like I did (joke) and the 4th I actually won a playback contest in Holland singing (I didn't know, but the wife's mother entered me).

Cynic wrote:

I've been going through my old music and came across some songs that I always thought I could mash out in a bar, as long as it wasn't my gitbox I was ruining and somebody was buying me beer to do it:

Queen Bitch
Galveston
Dylan
Searchers

Sadly, the 1st 2 are no longer with us, the 3rd nowadays sings more like I did (joke) and the 4th I actually won a playback contest in Holland singing (I didn't know, but the wife's mother entered me).

Blimey, we're in serious danger of having a major nostalgia meltdown fest here. 

Bowie was of course a serious artiste.  China Girl was great.  But we shouldn't mention The Laughing Gnome.  Someone stole my original copy of that.  Campbell's song Galveston is super but if you replace Galveston with another coastal town like Middlesborough or Grimsby or Rotterdam it doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

I've decided to throw in a few here I enjoyed in my younger days (no artistes mentioned to surprise folks):

I'll Never Find Another You

Keep On Running

Bus Stop

Crossroads

Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

I could go on but I don't think I'd ever finish if I included any more Hendrix.

LOL

Judith Durham - that was back in the days when to travel from Oz to the UK, ocean liner was the way to do it.  A few years older than that is this Springfields; shame I don't have the vocal range anymore.

Bus Stop - Graham Nash, went on to help create probably my 2nd favourite band of all times, CSN; this link takes you to a cover version of their greatest ever song, dunno why I prefer the cover to the original.  Maybe because it was made in a strip-joint.

Cream - technically brilliant; never a fan of Clapton's vocals

Hendrix - not seen that version of Voodoo Child before

Eagles - One of my all time favourites (but which one); I think I'm a massive Eagles/Jackson Browne/Don Henley fan because their biggest songs were of my time and I could do a passible cover of most of them - although some of them depress my wife.

Cynic wrote:

LOL

Judith Durham - that was back in the days when to travel from Oz to the UK, ocean liner was the way to do it.  A few years older than that is this Springfields; shame I don't have the vocal range anymore.

Yes, my parents were out that way and liked the Australian sound so we'd have the Seekers on for a singalong.  I always thought Judith Durham looked like a kind of pixie in that video.  I like pixies.  That bloke on the bass looks like Hank Marvin.

Cynic wrote:

Bus Stop - Graham Nash, went on to help create probably my 2nd favourite band of all times, CSN; this link takes you to a cover version of their greatest ever song, dunno why I prefer the cover to the original.  Maybe because it was made in a strip-joint.

And of course CSN became CSNY.  Neil Young is just such a great guitarist.  An extension of his body really.  I cannot say I like all his stuff but some of it is real class.

Cynic wrote:

Cream - technically brilliant; never a fan of Clapton's vocals

I totally agree.  Very slick performance considering Cream were a three piece.   The only other band I've seen as a three piece that blew me away was The Jam in their early days.

And yes, Clapton should keep his gob shut and stick to being an axe man.  I have a couple of his albums but the original "I shot the sheriff" is so much better by Bob Marley.   Why mess with it when it's not broken?  Clapton tried it again with Cocaine.  Why bother Eric baby? J J Cale did it perfectly the first time.
Technically Eric is great on the guitar but I just don't think he's a show man.  It's just not enough for me.

Cynic wrote:

Hendrix - not seen that version of Voodoo Child before

Anyone wanting to play rock guitar (like me) will stare at Hendrix's performances in awe.  It's required viewing for any guitar aspirant.  He plays the right hand guitar left handed and one handed "hammering on" with his right hand.  It's like the hand of God.  Our No 1 Hungarian sprog is aspiring on the electric guitar and Jimi is homework.  Hendrix makes it look effortless. 

Cynic wrote:

Eagles - One of my all time favourites (but which one); I think I'm a massive Eagles/Jackson Browne/Don Henley fan because their biggest songs were of my time and I could do a passible cover of most of them - although some of them depress my wife.

I used to like the Eagles but I've gone right off them for some reason and never bother listening to them now.  In fact I've gone off a lot of music. Very rare for me to bother now except for golden oldies. Shame really.