Absolutely Anything Else

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

...You know when someone has fantastic hair the moment you touch it.

What are the signs of having fantastic hair?   

Mrs Fluffy is always complaining about hers and mine needs revitalising too.  I've always thought using the right shampoo and conditioners - not cheap stuff - does it a world of good but perhaps that only works when you've got the good stuff to begin with.

Sigh .................... I remember hair. :sosad:

Cynic wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Mrs Fluffy is always complaining about hers and mine needs revitalising too.  I've always thought using the right shampoo and conditioners - not cheap stuff - does it a world of good but perhaps that only works when you've got the good stuff to begin with.

Despite my advancing years, I've been blessed with copious amounts of the stuff and still not doing too bad.    It's not always in the right places but plenty of it where it can be found. 

As a kid I used to complain it it was thick and lush and I always needed it thinning out like an overgrown thicket.  My kids are similarly blessed with gobsmackingly profuse and deeply coloured bushes on their noggins.   And yet they complain about it too!   I keep telling them they have hair to die for so just enjoy it while it's there.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Cynic wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Despite my advancing years, I've been blessed with copious amounts of the stuff and still not doing too bad.    It's not always in the right places but plenty of it where it can be found. 

As a kid I used to complain it it was thick and lush and I always needed it thinning out like an overgrown thicket.  My kids are similarly blessed with gobsmackingly profuse and deeply coloured bushes on their noggins.   And yet their complain about it too!

Now you're just rubbing it in  :sosad:

Cynic wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
Cynic wrote:

As a kid I used to complain it it was thick and lush and I always needed it thinning out like an overgrown thicket.  My kids are similarly blessed with gobsmackingly profuse and deeply coloured bushes on their noggins.   And yet their complain about it too!

Now you're just rubbing it in  :sosad:

I dunno some people look quite OK without any locks.  Bruce Willis almost has it as a trademark and it hasn't stopped his marketability. 

I always thought if my hair all fell out, I'd shave what remained off and go full Kojak.   

My biggest fear about that is that I've got a bumpy head and I'd attract phrenologists wanting to give it a once over.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Hard to explain what constitutes fantastic hair.
It is pliable, easy to style, in good condition , shiny and does what you want it to do, no poking out and no waving without control.
My Japanese DIL has nice hair but wow, took well over one hour to cut it and smooth it from underneath, so thick and straight.
We would laugh after the cut while looking at how much hair I removed, looked like a furry pet.
Bad thing, the sink would clog up fast with stay hairs blocking the drain.
Everyone lately is writting abut shots, jabs and getting the "covie pass" Getting on my last nerve to only read about covid.
I saw the news in India, very bad there hard to believe they are an up and coming super power nation when people are dropping on the st.
I suppose if we actually saw people dropping on the st. here we might take this virus more seriously.
It's all good, my husband and I still are hold outs for now. Not interested ATM in a vax. Heard though for our age we could possible get the Pfizer batch, not sure though.
Whatever or whenever we decide it's time to get jabbed it has to be a vaz that is god for travel and not just god for a night on the town and a trip to the bar.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Hard to explain what constitutes fantastic hair.
It is pliable, easy to style, in good condition , shiny and does what you want it to do, no poking out and no waving without control.
My Japanese DIL has nice hair but wow, took well over one hour to cut it and smooth it from underneath, so thick and straight.
We would laugh after the cut while looking at how much hair I removed, looked like a furry pet.
Bad thing, the sink would clog up fast with stay hairs blocking the drain.
Everyone lately is writting abut shots, jabs and getting the "covie pass" Getting on my last nerve to only read about covid.
I saw the news in India, very bad there hard to believe they are an up and coming super power nation when people are dropping on the st.
I suppose if we actually saw people dropping on the st. here we might take this virus more seriously.
It's all good, my husband and I still are hold outs for now. Not interested ATM in a vax. Heard though for our age we could possible get the Pfizer batch, not sure though.
Whatever or whenever we decide it's time to get jabbed it has to be a vax that is god for travel and not just god for a night on the town and a trip to the bar.

I'm with you on the vaccination pass.  I couldn't care less about going to bars or restaurants. I might want to go to the movies. 

On the other hand, travel.  This is the only thing I truly care about.  I want totally smooth and routine travel back the way it used to be in the good ol' days.   Oh, and visitors.  Having my relatives come to Hungary again without jumping through endless bureaucratic hoops.

India needs to get its priorities right - it has a space programme, huge pharma production and very large resources in its people.  Government there has screwed up big time.  Not much comfort knowing that for a victim of government incompetence.

Both Mrs Fluffy and I would like our hair to be thicker but I think only black magic, donning strange costumes (or not) and dancing maniacally around a bonfire would have any chance of fixing that problem.    Maybe just doing the mad dancing could be a Balaton summer project.  After all, there's likely to be FA else going on.

My father had med. thick jet black hair, wierd it was so black it has a tinge of blue in it.
His mom was a red head.
My mom as I've stated has black hair but so "un native" in texture. Thin and straight.
My one bro the first born boy has total native textured hair, he has always worn it longish to past his ear and over his collar , other wise it would stick striaght up in the air if shorter.
I always enjoyed working on a certain, "type" of hair, it was not thick and it was smooth and straight if blown out but you could aslo wind it around your finger and it would hold a curl. Not many people have that sort of ahir, it can look very thick if styled right.
My son has red hair, redheads have less hair then average but it looks thicker. His hair is nice really much thicker then us , his parents.
My husband always felt bad that he was,"blessed" with thin hair. His bro and sister have super thick wavy hair, he got jipped.
My aunt , mom's sister had thick curly hair, very strange how hair can turn out different even in the same family.
To tell the truth most people don't like their hair, good for hairdressers because we wouldn't be busy if people were happy with what they have.
I would of loved being born with curly red hair, God knows I've tried to ,"fake it" over the years. Was totally into those 80's big perms when they were in fashion.
My hair now scares the living life out of me ever 3 weeks now...Gotta hit that color. I used to have hair that I suppose was the Ca. standard which I didn't like much. Long ,straight and light goldenbrown with a tiny bit of red highlights.Never know what you have until it's gone.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

To tell the truth most people don't like their hair, good for hairdressers because we wouldn't be busy if people were happy with what they have.
My hair now scares the living life out of me ever 3 weeks now...Gotta hit that color. I used to have hair that I suppose was the Ca. standard which I didn't like much. Long ,straight and light goldenbrown with a tiny bit of red highlights.Never know what you have until it's gone.

Bit of an aside but not sure why and it might be oversharing but this scene in Out of Africa of Robert Redford washing Meryl Streep's hair just makes me incredibly relaxed. 

I know when I get my hair washed at a salon, I am always on the verge of nodding off or sliding like melting cheese onto the floor.   Just thinking of that head rubbing makes me gooey.

I think it's ASMR.  It's the bit at the end of the clip when she looks so satisfied after he's rubbed her noggin.  And that's not an euphemism. 

Don't know if hairdressers know about that stuff!

Perhaps not the right place to ask and I didn't want to start a new topic.   

I'm searching for real life experiences of dementia care in Hungary.   

One of Mrs Fluffy's relatives looks like they've got dementia which is causing - unsurprisingly - confusion.

No-one knows what to do with them and no-one is in the position to supervise 24x7.

Hate to say it but if I was losing my ,"marbles" Hungary would defo not be the place for me.
I'm already not my former self and just thinking of being in a care home here and not speaking the language is enough to make one's blood run cold.
I've been in hospital here in the past and for less then 24 hours. I about walked out before surgery was done with the insanity showed to me.
I've mentioned many times about ,"Learch"the orderly freaking me out.
My sister in Minn. had been taking care a few days per week of a 100 year old lady in the women's home.
Well, last week the women lost it 100%.
Asked my sister to leave her home, which she did right away. Called the women's son up and they are placing her in a care home now.
The women had told my sister the same story 5 times in 5 mins. the last few weeks and all my sis could do was nod her head and agree with her,"boss".
The women is freaking out about her new home,she I suppose has seen it before moving in.
She says her family wants her stuff and they are making her look at a cesspool located outisde her window.
It's a lovely little pond from what my sister says....
My friend from age 11 had to put her mm in a care home. She didn't even know who my friend was towards the end. Her mom was so elegant when we were children, always perfect in dress, manners and her home was tidy as could be.
Had several friends who's parents lost it in the old age.
I suppose in some ways I'm lucky my mum passed sort of young, at 67.
If you can't afford a private nurse in yur old age then living in a foriegn country isn't exactly the best situation.

I think care for the elderly is an issue in many countries.  In the UK, it's primarily "care in the community " for those who can still help themselves.  My father-in-law in the Netherlands is in a care home, mainly because he paid the taxes and was entitled, but a foreigner who hadn't paid would be in some predicament.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Hate to say it but if I was losing my ,"marbles" Hungary would defo not be the place for me.
I'm already not my former self and just thinking of being in a care home here and not speaking the language is enough to make one's blood run cold.
I've been in hospital here in the past and for less then 24 hours. I about walked out before surgery was done with the insanity showed to me.
I've mentioned many times about ,"Learch"the orderly freaking me out.
My sister in Minn. had been taking care a few days per week of a 100 year old lady in the women's home.
Well, last week the women lost it 100%.
Asked my sister to leave her home, which she did right away. Called the women's son up and they are placing her in a care home now.
The women had told my sister the same story 5 times in 5 mins. the last few weeks and all my sis could do was nod her head and agree with her,"boss".
The women is freaking out about her new home,she I suppose has seen it before moving in.
She says her family wants her stuff and they are making her look at a cesspool located outisde her window.
It's a lovely little pond from what my sister says....
My friend from age 11 had to put her mm in a care home. She didn't even know who my friend was towards the end. Her mom was so elegant when we were children, always perfect in dress, manners and her home was tidy as could be.
Had several friends who's parents lost it in the old age.
I suppose in some ways I'm lucky my mum passed sort of young, at 67.
If you can't afford a private nurse in yur old age then living in a foriegn country isn't exactly the best situation.

I should have explained. This is not an expat person but a Hungarian relative of Mrs Fluffy's.   So language and pensions and all that is already taken care of hopefully.   But whether any of that pension money would cover sufficient dementia care is unknown.   No idea of the costs - in the UK this is completely unaffordable for many to do privately.

I am getting information that dementia care here has to be paid for and there's no support from the state other than basic medical care.   Probably once unable to care for oneself, then off to the hospital and left to rot in the bed until one expires.    I've seen 7 stages of dementia described and the person in question is about at level 3 or 4 which is mild to serious cognitive impairment.   

The primary things at the moment are wandering off on "missions" (that make absolutely no sense) , not understanding basic instructions and having delusions - typically example is not remembering  people have died and believing they are still alive.

All this came about relatively recently due to a stroke.

Cynic wrote:

I think care for the elderly is an issue in many countries.  In the UK, it's primarily "care in the community " for those who can still help themselves.  My father-in-law in the Netherlands is in a care home, mainly because he paid the taxes and was entitled, but a foreigner who hadn't paid would be in some predicament.

I am beginning to realise that the UK is very different to other countries. Care is expensive there but it's more comprehensive and there is help not found  elsewhere.   

I know that in the UK if the person has a condition - say multiple sclerosis - then medical care might be provided for that and dementia care might just be a side part of that.  We're not really clear on that here.   

I helped a friend in the UK who has mobility issues get a free stair lift and bathroom upgrade from her local council.  She'd been suffering for years and didn't know she could ask for help.   She was used to being self-sufficient and doing her own thing (and often cantankerous).  She's a British citizen of Polish origin and was thinking she'd have to muddle through on her own.   I think the chances of anything like free stuff here is zero.

LBC is having a good subject now.

SimCityAT wrote:

LBC is having a good subject now.

What were they discussing? Health and Social Care Act?

Traditonally I think Hungary used to "hide" anyone in the family who had any sort of health issues.
Family lived close to each other and took turns taking care of the ill.
Sad fact, when my Mohawk grandmother was ill, had a issue that effected her brain as well as her body, she was tied to her bed by her mother and sisters when they were't able to watch her every moment of the day.
My mom saw her mother treated that way for a couple of years before her mother passed on,She was only in her mid 40's at the time of her death.
I think I understand which family member you are writting about. It's sad and hard to see this happening I know.
My HU MIL was starting to lose it before her health went bad too.
She would do all sorts of odd things and blame, you know who... me the ,"idiot" that didn't speak Hungarian. Had several arguments over anyone  actually thinking I was the one to do this or that which made zero sense at all. I'm not known to put hot frying pans in the freezer or do other similar things ...
My friend in Ca. had to have her mom put in a care home the last couple years she was alive. She was only in her early 80's when she passed. They had everything available to help her at home but she started to get dangerous, leaving the gas on and just not knowing where she was or who she was with.
From what I know about HU Taj, it just takes care of the very min. of everything. Many short cuts taken here and there to save money.
One thing that gets me here which is an odd pet peeve of mine is noticing how many bow legged, knock kneeded young people with turned out or in feet are going about withour proper foot or hip surgeries that should of been fixed in their childhood years. They usually are wearing sports shoes that give no support at all. makes my knees hurt to look at them.
I have a slight issue with being flat footed which makes me have bad knees,was't too bad not enought o see the doc about as a child. I wear good arch supports in all my shoes and wear custom ortho shoes as well. I do not order shoes online, I must try them on first to make sure they give some support.
My 2 older sister however had foot issues and knocked knees, the second one had it the worst.
I know in the 1950's my parents spent 2 weeks of my father's salery every couple of months on corrective shoes for the both of my sisters.
My grandfather would often buy them shoes to help out.
My mom had a thing about not allowing us to wear cheap tennis shoes too often or flip-flops, we always had to wear good shoes.
At UCLA children's bone clinic I saw so many babies and toddlers in body braces for their hips or spines to correct issues before it was too late to do so.
Long story short, my sisters both could walk in heels without issues and my second sister even walked the carwalk as a model. Don't think either could of done that without my parents fixing their feet.
Of course high heels are not for everyday use.
Many small children are wearing sports shoes from a young age and It makes me wonder how it will effect their feet later on.
My mom and step-dad used to babysit my niece when she was a toddler. Her other set of grandparents were super wealthy, condo in Hawaii and lived in an exclusive neighborhood in Ca. Guess who noticed and paid for her ortho shoes and and bar that she slept with to make her legs straight?My blue collar step-father paid for it.Some people just have different piorities.
Off topic. Maybe there is a support group here in Hungary with knowledge of resources available to those with family member who are facing dementia?
Getting all the info early and making plans is a good idea.

My husband said the have to have some sort of care here for people with dementia .
Care probably is not exactly as good as some richer countries would be though.
My suggestion again is to look into a support group who might have some good ideas or know a private home for these suffering.
It could go on fr several years so might get costly with a privte home but then again, the Taj system might pick up part of the costs?
I know in the US ne must be very wealthy or very poor to get much care.Those in the middle are on their own.
Many have to sell of property to afford these centers.
Most of the big promblems with these ill people is they know something is off and can't figure it out. It leads to them getting angry and frustrated and confused even more then what the illness does to them.
My sister showed up for work last week with that 100 year ld lady who usually is very nice and smart with what my sister thought was a sharp brain.
Out of the blue she went balistic and ranted on and on and told my sister to leave.
She now has a destorted view on what peple are doing to her, sad stuff.

I am probably simplistic, life in care homes or for that matter hospitals is never nice (Hungary or Luxembourg alike). Really extremely sad, I know some people with dementia, we should be lucky to have reached the age we have (many do not). Getting older is not nice, I notice that I do down mentally and physically myself (I think largely driven by age and genes, drinking and smoking probably does not help).
Knowing the decaying people a bit, they do not care about material topics, they do care about empathy (I tell myself).
Bottom line people deserve attention, nothing (apart from dying) can stop ageing. We have to accept for us and others.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My husband said the have to have some sort of care here for people with dementia .
Care probably is not exactly as good as some richer countries would be though.
My suggestion again is to look into a support group who might have some good ideas or know a private home for these suffering.
It could go on fr several years so might get costly with a privte home but then again, the Taj system might pick up part of the costs?
I know in the US ne must be very wealthy or very poor to get much care.Those in the middle are on their own.
Many have to sell of property to afford these centers.
Most of the big promblems with these ill people is they know something is off and can't figure it out. It leads to them getting angry and frustrated and confused even more then what the illness does to them.
My sister showed up for work last week with that 100 year ld lady who usually is very nice and smart with what my sister thought was a sharp brain.
Out of the blue she went balistic and ranted on and on and told my sister to leave.
She now has a destorted view on what peple are doing to her, sad stuff.

What's getting me is there is a bit of a rapid decline going on.   

We've noticed that the decline has stepped up (if that's not contradictory verbiage).   

We do know of a care facility where another relative lives but I think it's more like a kind of hospital with dormitory kind of living.  That's costing quite a lot but the more direct relatives have money.   In the UK we'd expect more but the costs would be £4K (1.6M HUF) a month! 

I don't know what is going on but there seems to be a rash of Alzheimers and Dementia going on in the relatives.

I watched some TV programmes on dementia and some of the things the suffers do are simply inexplicable.   We've come to the conclusion that there's no point in trying to understand it.  It's just their reality.  It just is and there's no explaining it so don't bother trying.

cdw057 wrote:

I am probably simplistic, life in care homes or for that matter hospitals is never nice (Hungary or Luxembourg alike). Really extremely sad, I know some people with dementia, we should be lucky to have reached the age we have (many do not). Getting older is not nice, I notice that I do down mentally and physically myself (I think largely driven by age and genes, drinking and smoking probably does not help).
Knowing the decaying people a bit, they do not care about material topics, they do care about empathy (I tell myself).
Bottom line people deserve attention, nothing (apart from dying) can stop ageing. We have to accept for us and others.

One of my brothers knows  a couple where the guy has early onset dementia (with Lewy bodies).   Early 50s and already in a care home.  Used to be a bit of a high flyer.  Now cannot negotiate around obstacles in a children's playground.  Rather a cruel disease.   Same person, lights on but no-one's at home.

I've also had someone close affected by dementia. Such a horrible disease. Strong body, mind just wasted. I think many of us have "a plan" for dying if we were to be severely physically impaired, we"ve probably discussed some form of it with friends -- "You'll pull the plug if I ever end up like that, right?" But we don't really discuss the same with cognitive decline.
I must admit, it terrifies me. How would a person with dementia know they are having such symtoms? Perhaps they would, perhaps not...
The recent movie "The Father" is supposed to cover this subject. I've not watched it yet, but it did win Anthony Hopkins an Oscar...

Vicces1 wrote:

I've also had someone close affected by dementia. Such a horrible disease. Strong body, mind just wasted. I think many of us have "a plan" for dying if we were to be severely physically impaired, we"ve probably discussed some form of it with friends -- "You'll pull the plug if I ever end up like that, right?" But we don't really discuss the same with cognitive decline.
I must admit, it terrifies me. How would a person with dementia know they are having such symtoms? Perhaps they would, perhaps not...
The recent movie "The Father" is supposed to cover this subject. I've not watched it yet, but it did win Anthony Hopkins an Oscar...

It's not quite the same but my elder brother died of a brain tumour.  He was a very intellectual and educated guy - multiple degrees, international traveller, well known in his industry and fluent Spanish speaker and not bad in Russian too!   He did tell me that he was frightened of losing his intellect.  I asked him if he felt different and he was unable to answer the question  so easily.   I can see that as being hard to answer as he was losing his reference point - i.e. himself.

His main symptoms were physical as the tumour was in a part of his brain affecting mobility - mainly it was pressing on the nerves controlling one of his legs.   He also had severe headaches.  Cognitively he seemed reasonably OK at the beginning.   He was sometimes really angry with people but that might have been the emotion of the situation.

After chemo and brain surgery, he had some rehab type work to get his leg working again - brain could re-route around the damaged area.  It worked for a bit but his type of tumour (glioblastoma multiforme) has 100% fatality rate so it was only a matter of time before it came back.  Prognosis is usually around 10-14 months with treatment, 4 months without.   

At around 8 months there was a severe personality change when he had a brain hemorrhage while in Portugal (he lived and worked there).   At that point, he had hallucinations which were apparently frightening for him and everyone around him. In Portugal, they said they didn't have the skills to treat him so - as he had money - he was  airlifted to the UK.

In the UK, he was treated at a top hospital (in Oxford)  and improved so was taken home and given care there.   By that time he was immobile and unable to speak coherently.  But he was no longer angry  but rather calm. 

It's quite important being able to speak  as there's no way to communicate with the person to assess how they are otherwise it's just mechanical - pressures, values, indicators on machinery attached to the person.  He was still in there as far as we could tell but it took him massive effort to actually utter any sound.   For some reason he used to stare intently at the TV in his room.  No-one knows if he knew what was going on. 

When I last saw him, about 3 weeks before he died, I tried to have a conversation with him - just me and him and I could see no real cognition.  I think quite possibly he understood but could not respond.   My parents saw him a day before he passed and he was able to say a few words but they reported it was just really basic like hello and goodbye but really it seemed like he was on autopilot.   More like instinct than intellect.

So in summation, I think the person does know at the beginning and can make informed decisions but as the brain disease progresses they lose the ability to process information and make rational decisions.  So a trip to Switzerland for assisted dying is not quite so easy to do as it takes time to organise - not a kind of same day event.   The person has to be able to make that decision.  It's not clear anyone with dementia or any kind of brain disease will have the ability to communicate their wishes.   And even if they said they wanted to go one might never know they truly understood.  My brother talked about this route out the situation but his disease overwhelmed him before he was able to take any positive  action.   Really tricky.

Just so sad.
There does seem to be more cases of dementia and autisum.
I wonder if some of this is caused by the enviorment?
So much junk in all the processed foods and even fresh foods these days.
My grandfather lived to be nealry 94, born in 1882.
He drank wiskey every day, smoking one cigar a day and was sharp mentally and physiclaly till the end.
He ate a very strict diet and only ate good dark rye bread and saurkraut every day and no sweets at all.
He stod up straight without a cane and was writting for the monthly newsletter in the VA home where he lived till he just went to sleep and never woke up.
If we all could just check out that easily.
Cancer or any prolonged illness takes it's toll on everyone in the family.

Our old neighbour has dementia early stages was fine, home helps from Romania, Hungary would move in for 2 weeks at a time. But as time went on she had to move into a nursing home.

My mother in law is in a nursing home she has schizophrenia, the state pays for her stay, but her papa has to give her a living wage I guess that's what you would call it for hair cuts, nails etc....

SimCityAT wrote:

Our old neighbour has dementia early stages was fine, home helps from Romania, Hungary would move in for 2 weeks at a time. But as time went on she had to move into a nursing home.

My mother in law is in a nursing home she has schizophrenia, the state pays for her stay, but her papa has to give her a living wage I guess that's what you would call it for hair cuts, nails etc....

I'm not an expert on mental health but isn't giving someone with schizophrenia sharp scissors and other pointy tools a little dangerous?

Question is about the nursing home is who pays.  I think here it's up to the family.   OK if you've bags of dosh.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

There does seem to be more cases of dementia and autisum.

I am not sure about that, I think we just understand more and are able to cater to their needs more. In the old days, people were just locked in their rooms or those that could afford it were sent to a mental hospital.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

I'm not an expert on mental health but isn't giving someone with schizophrenia sharp scissors and other pointy tools a little dangerous?

Question is about the nursing home is who pays.  I think here it's up to the family.   OK if you've bags of dosh.

Someone comes in and does her hair and nails etc.....

The state pays or partly pays, I will have to check with the misses.

I really do not know what to say, situations can be very severe (and I actually agree in a way), one of the pluses in the Netherlands (also negatives (many)) is that there is opines to euthanasia (having said that I am really at a loss (one does not have a normal future, but one as a (Dementia or Alzheimer) patient can still feel happy.

Question for me is strange, if I were to get one of the (memory) diseases would I want to die or not (perhaps not (getting food or a coffee)) on the other side losing my memory is also very, very sad.

OK I am still in good health and I have memories from 20/30 years ago. In Hungary Euthanasia is close to impossible (and perhaps I a agree but there can be cases,...)

Last remark, in any case the contributors (including me) can still write (even if our mind is less active or less emphatic ),

My family tends to die (very) early, just my mom is a long survivor (sisters, husbands,..) she is well over 80, but even with her age is noticable.

I do not know what is better, in any case from a Hungarian perspective I do my contribution (taxes).
Smoking
Drinking
Dying from a heart attack rather than months long service in a hospital I believe is preferrable.
Hopefully either is not up for a long time to come.

Pissing down with rain, I just remembered it's another public holiday tomorrow (2nd one in 2 weeks) I will have to check to see if I need anything from the shops as everything will be closed. Misses finishes work at 3 pm, so I will send her out in the car or I will be walking in my wellies :D the road is now just a dirt track it's been dug up so many times now... At least it's not the UK where they would resurface the road first then dig it up after.

cdw057 wrote:

Question for me is strange, if I were to get one of the (memory) diseases would I want to die or not (perhaps not (getting food or a coffee)) on the other side losing my memory is also very, very sad.

OK I am still in good health and I have memories from 20/30 years ago. In Hungary Euthanasia is close to impossible (and perhaps I a agree but there can be cases,...)

Last remark, in any case the contributors (including me) can still write (even if our mind is less active or less emphatic ),.

One of the things about dementia is the person can remember 30 years ago but cannot remember 5 minutes ago.  It's not just senior moments.  We all get  a bit forgetful here and there.

One of my  UK relatives would phone up my parents, then phone again 10 minutes later and perhaps phone 10 to 15 times a day with the same question.   He would deny the presence of his kids who were standing right next to him.  Thought they were someone else.  Same person used to set off for meetings in his car and go somewhere completely different or just become plain lost.

Another one would phone her daughter even though she was in the next room and had talked to her 5 minutes before.   When the daughter arrived back in the same room the mother would say I just phoned you and the daughter would say I'm right here.  Then confusion would set in between the person in front of them and the concept they were far away on the other end of the phone.  It was like imaging the person on the phone and seeing the person in their minds eye.  There was no difference in the mother's perception - imagination vs reality combined.    Very distorted.

One thing dementia suffers are really good at doing is bluffing.  They are able to cover their symptoms remarkably well at first. But then it becomes too obvious to hide.

fluffy2560 wrote:
cdw057 wrote:

Last remark, in any case the contributors (including me) can still write (even if our mind is less active or less emphatic ),.

One of the things about dementia is the person can remember 30 years ago but cannot remember 5 minutes ago.  It's not just senior moments.  We all get  a bit forgetful here and there.

One of my  UK relatives would phone up my parents, then phone again 10 minutes later and perhaps phone 10 to 15 times a day with the same question.   He would deny the presence of his kids who were standing right next to him.  Thought they were someone else.  Same person used to set off for meetings in his car and go somewhere completely different or just become plain lost.

Another one would phone her daughter even though she was in the next room and had talked to her 5 minutes before.   When the daughter arrived back in the same room the mother would say I just phoned you and the daughter would say I'm right here.  Then confusion would set in between the person in front of them and the concept they were far away on the other end of the phone.  It was like imaging the person on the phone and seeing the person in their minds eye.  There was no difference in the mother's perception - imagination vs reality combined.    Very distorted.

One thing dementia suffers are really good at doing is bluffing.  They are able to cover their symptoms remarkably well at first. But then it becomes too obvious to hide.

My grandmother was like when she randomly phoning people day or night, in the end, the telephone had to be taken out of her room.

SimCityAT wrote:

My grandmother was like when she randomly phoning people day or night, in the end, the telephone had to be taken out of her room.

Yes, my Uncle was the one with the car - kept driving off.  In the end the car keys had to hidden and eventually the car was sold without his knowledge.

Interesting you said that was about the phone.   Operating technology seems to be impossible.

One of the in-laws was confused by the remote control for the TV and the push button phone.  She was trying to change the TV channel by pressing the buttons on the phone.   Despite "lessons" on what does what, it never stuck.  We've seen that elsewhere with others.

On the HU side, one relative in the countryside would get really upset when it rained because the chickens  in the garden might drown.   She also thought the ants she could see were happy.   Makes no sense at all of course and ridiculous.  But no explanation available or required really.

SimCityAT wrote:

Pissing down with rain, I just remembered it's another public holiday tomorrow (2nd one in 2 weeks) I will have to check to see if I need anything from the shops as everything will be closed. Misses finishes work at 3 pm, so I will send her out in the car or I will be walking in my wellies :D the road is now just a dirt track it's been dug up so many times now... At least it's not the UK where they would resurface the road first then dig it up after.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/185284198_10219841366413005_7701824231021679412_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=_UquKQlvQpEAX-PeNMB&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&oh=9644130ccd84827335429cfad58991e8&oe=60C27284

SimCityAT wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

[img align=C]https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/185284198_10219841366413005_7701824231021679412_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=_UquKQlvQpEAX-PeNMB&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&oh=9644130ccd84827335429cfad58991e8&oe=60C27284[/url]

I notice a distinct lack of active workers in that picture.

The side streets of Erd were just dirt roads.
Everytime it rained it left huge pot holes in the road.
The dust would fly in dry weather.
Still always some idiot would race down the road and kick up the dust.
The city would bring trucks of gravel once in awhile to fill in the holes but by the next rain they would be gone or pushed to the side of the road.
Not a super cheap area to buy in either.
Just this morning I was bith** abut my eye doctor's phone being ff the hook for the last week. Well within 30 mins she rang us up!
Guess putting out the energy really does make things happen.
Booked soon for surgery... I'll believe it when it happens though.

An Alzheimer/Demenita story which will keep in my mind for a long, long time is that one or our prior neighbours went (from Hungary) to an Austrian care home (his wife died in the meantime), he really had the urge to return to his home in Hungary and started to walk (a few 100 km). in all three occassions he was picked up, nevertheless he was resourceful in "getting away".
The house was already sold, his wife died, but the need to return home was big.
Difficult for him (by the way he died he in the meantime (old age)) but also staff.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

The side streets of Erd were just dirt roads.
Everytime it rained it left huge pot holes in the road.
The dust would fly in dry weather.
Still always some idiot would race down the road and kick up the dust.
The city would bring trucks of gravel once in awhile to fill in the holes but by the next rain they would be gone or pushed to the side of the road.
Not a super cheap area to buy in either.
Just this morning I was bith** abut my eye doctor's phone being ff the hook for the last week. Well within 30 mins she rang us up!
Guess putting out the energy really does make things happen.
Booked soon for surgery... I'll believe it when it happens though.

I've been around Erd and I know exactly what you mean.

Hereabouts in this village there's an area up the hill which is all dirt roads. Mrs Fluffy knows a few people up there and they say the local government won't fix the roads or take on services there which would mean obligations like providing schools, medical centres and so on.  So they leave it underdeveloped deliberately.   There are some really fancy houses over there.   When it rains you can see all the rocks and stone are washed down the hill.   It's almost impossible to drive there in the winter - no snow clearing.

cdw057 wrote:

An Alzheimer/Demenita story which will keep in my mind for a long, long time is that one or our prior neighbours went (from Hungary) to an Austrian care home (his wife died in the meantime), he really had the urge to return to his home in Hungary and started to walk (a few 100 km). in all three occassions he was picked up, nevertheless he was resourceful in "getting away".
The house was already sold, his wife died, but the need to return home was big.
Difficult for him (by the way he died he in the meantime (old age)) but also staff.

Sounds like a kind of homing pigeon behaviour.   I will also have that behaviour when my time has come (and gone).

My 97 year old Dad doesn't want to go back to his origin.  Seems to have no desire to hob-nob with his ancestors who are in the same graveyard.  I'd like some of my ashes taken to where it all started for the Fluffy lineage.   Perhaps some will remain here in Goulashland.

Lupa lake will be free entery for 3 days starting this coming Wed. No immunity card needed to enter.
I know the water is freezing this time f year there but I like the place overall.
Very deep clear water, not for weak swimmers as it's a bit wide in some areas and the step-off is sudden and very deep.
Also Balaton is immunity card free!
At least for now.
Inside the spas even with the immunity card you must still wear a mask, that's going to be a pretty sight! Those masks are larger then some swimsuits are!
Sadly I'll probably pass on the free entery days because I can't stand t get verly chilled and no way can I be near water without tossing myself into it.
My Old friend in Vegas who used a wheelchair had the most wonderful pool.
It was 45 feet long and 25 feet wide.
She was at one end in her chair and I was in the deep end, couldn't hear a word she was saying as the distance was too far.
Figures though because of her chair and the hassle of getting in and out and washing her waist length hair afterwards, she only went in 2 times a week with her husband standing by.
My father used to live with a handicapped women and her mother in a nice home in S. Ca.
He would take her in her lovley pool for ,"therapy" a few times a week.
Sad to have a pool and not be able to freely use it.
My bro almost drowned in that pool at age 3.
My husband just about went dwn for the 3rd time in the Danube when he was 8.
A fisherman pulled him out by pure chance and luck.
He and his friends used to mess around by jumping in and allowing the current to move them abut 10 feet to an area where they could grab something and be safe. None of themmknew how to swim at that age.
He happened to overjump and was being pulled downstream.
He also almost froze to death around age 9 in the winter on the Danube.
Same crew of friends, they would go after school to the river and try to float on sheets of ice, they always tied their belts together like a rope and pulled each other on then ice.
Husband tipped to one side and went into the river. He said his clothing just froze on his body.
Lucky the belt rope was available, his friends pulled him out of the river.
Went to his friends house to dry off , his mom never knew of his after school adventures.
If so she probably would of had a heart attack early.
I hardly hear of children doing these crazy things these days.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Lupa lake will be free entery for 3 days starting this coming Wed. No immunity card needed to enter.
I know the water is freezing this time f year there but I like the place overall.
Very deep clear water, not for weak swimmers as it's a bit wide in some areas and the step-off is sudden and very deep.
Also Balaton is immunity card free!
Went to his friends house to dry off , his mom never knew of his after school adventures.
If so she probably would of had a heart attack early.
I hardly hear of children doing these crazy things these days.

Sounds a bit cold at the lake.  Might be OK if wearing a wet suit.  Help with the buoyancy too.

Kids are still doing dangerous things except these days they film themselves or each other dicing with death.   And then they post it on Facebook.   So many people die taking selfies on the side of mountains.   Brings who new meanings to Darwin.

My friend in LA sent me this one about the US petrol/gas shortages.  Click here.  And people are being reminded not to petrol/gas into plastic bags.  Really?