Absolutely Anything Else

I think there will now never be another who has demonstrated such grace, dignity, and British spirit as the Queen. I am not British, I am not her subject, I am not a monarchist. But it would be folly to deny the positive effect she has had on generations throughout the world, not only her "subjects".
She will also be the last queen in our, and likely our children's lifetimes. After Charles, it's William, then George.
I do not mourn, but celebrate her life. She was a treasure.

I will say her last 10 years have been a bit of a disappointment though: the fire at Windsor Castle, her sex offender child, her grandchild removing himself completely from Royal life, Boris gaming her empire, and Truss being her despicable self just a few days before the queen's death... I daresay she was happy to go at this point...
-@Vicces1

When I was younger I was very much against the monarchy as I thought they were spongers but over time, I actually began to appreciate the stability they brought to the country.  No self-appointed dictators or crazed Presidents running the show.  She was indeed a national treasure.

I remember that fire in Windsor.   From the highway it was something to see.   And of course Prince Andrew is only allegedly a sex offender, nothing was admitted and no jury found him guilty.   Boris did indeed set her up. Truss, meh.

It seems quite strange she was officiating at the passing of the PM baton to Truss from Johnson just a few days ago and two days later she was dead.  We may never know what killed her.  Probably something catastrophic like a massive stroke or heart failure. Whatever it was, it was sudden and really fast. 

I watched Charles's speech on TV live and he was good.  It was just about right.  It seems like he'd been rehearsing that speech all his life.  And today the moment had arrived.   The country is with him right now. I only hope he doesn't squander the goodwill.  Time will of course will tell.

What a bunch of normal/formal signing of this and that with Charles being" sworn in" or whatever it's called.

One person after the other opeing up a pen and closing it after signing.

I had to stop watching after a few mins.

Waste of my time.

I have a creepy feeling that he won't rule all that long. Man, he looks terrible for his age.

His face is so red , he doesn't look right.

Hate to say it, but William should be on stand by.

IDK, maybe it's not nice to say such a thing about anyone but he doesn't strike me as living to be 96 like his mother.

There will never be a monarch like the Queen, a different era.

By the way, has anyone else seen the U tube video taken a few years back by 2 ladies on tour of the palace?

They were standing outside taking a video of themselves when a naked young man climbed out of a window from what was thought to be Andrew's room. He fell on the palace grounds frm the window sill he was hanging onto.

I'm sure it can still be found somewhere on U tube if it hasn't been scrubbed yet.

I may just give it a try to see if it's still online.

It's still online but now called a ,"hoax" easy enough to say that ,how else can it be explained?

I probably have a very different view than most.  Suffice it to say, I have a Warrant from Queen Elizabeth II hanging on my wall in pride of place.

Those who view the Royal Family in a bad light based on what they see and read in the Press are mistaken (IMO).

I probably have a very different view than most. Suffice it to say, I have a Warrant from Queen Elizabeth II hanging on my wall in pride of place.
Those who view the Royal Family in a bad light based on what they see and read in the Press are mistaken (IMO).
-@Cynic

I don't know. 

I also swore fealty to the Crown as part of the military and of course spent sometime saluting others carrying her authority.

On the other hand, I begin to wonder if they've had their time, particularly in the other countries/territories where the now King is also Head of State. I am not sure what the difference is between Head of State and Head of Nation.   

Previously we would never have heard about Royal Family indiscretions and the myth of their right of leadership of the country could be perpetuated.  Now, their every move is documented.  Perhaps we are seeing they are human and the same (at least physically) as the rest of us.  All humans after all.

My own feeling is that their main purpose now is to maintain stability and to stop self-appointed lunatics running the asylum.   

Probably it's worth paying for them to be there to stop the country ever having our own Putin or Trump or numerous others one could mention.

By the way, has anyone else seen the U tube video taken a few years back by 2 ladies on tour of the palace?
They were standing outside taking a video of themselves when a naked young man climbed out of a window from what was thought to be Andrew's room. He fell on the palace grounds frm the window sill he was hanging onto.
I'm sure it can still be found somewhere on U tube if it hasn't been scrubbed yet.
I may just give it a try to see if it's still online.
It's still online but now called a ,"hoax" easy enough to say that ,how else can it be explained?
-@Marilyn Tassy

Our teenage daughter is always playing around with videos on TikTok.  It's absolutely easy now to fake this kind of thing.   One of Mrs F's relatives modified a video of me sitting at a alfresco event to show me miming to some song.  I was annoyed about it even though it was obviously faked.  Not only did he not seek my permission, he probably published it and left it online.  I found it insulting and outrageously poor behaviour.

It's like those Russian videos a while back showing Zelensky telling UKR forces to lay down their arms.  Complete faked videos and total nonsense.

I probably have a very different view than most. Suffice it to say, I have a Warrant from Queen Elizabeth II hanging on my wall in pride of place.
-@Cynic

That's sweet. I'm betting a warrant from the Queen is different then a warrant to appear in court!

My grandfather was ,'Honored" with his military service by driving the coach of one of the US Presidents.

I'm guessing it was Roosevelt since he was a horse and water boy in the Rough Riders during the Spanish American War.

I'm sure this warrant is something to treasure and pass down.

-@Cynic
That's sweet. I'm betting a warrant from the Queen is different then a warrant to appear in court!
My grandfather was ,'Honored" with his military service by driving the coach of one of the US Presidents.
I'm guessing it was Roosevelt since he was a horse and water boy in the Rough Riders during the Spanish American War.
-@Marilyn Tassy

It's an A3 size parchment appointing me to be a Warrant Officer in HM Armed Forces, signed in 1987 by the then Defence Secretary (George Younger). 

SACEUR is a US 4-star general who among other things commands the NATO forces in Europe.  While based in Germany, I got a call one Saturday morning telling me that he (General Rogers) was flying into our base on what was basically a Christmas shopping trip with his extended family.  Our job was to head off the van full of all the goodies they had just bought in Bielefeld, get it to his aircraft and stowed on board before the General and entourage got there.  So we had a squad of guys standing by and we got on with the task.  What we hadn't reckoned on was nobody telling the Generals driver what was going on and apparently, he stuck to the tail of our little convoy and instead of stopping off at the Station Headquarters for SACEUR  to meet the Station Commander, he brought them straight to the aircraft steps where they disembarked and proceeded to head up the aircraft steps, where the previously mentioned squad were heading down having stashed the goodies in the rear baggage hold. Saceurs mother got knocked back down the steps where luckily, I caught her, and placed her to one side, in time to catch one of the young kids going the same way.

What a bunch of normal/formal signing of this and that with Charles being" sworn in" or whatever it's called.
One person after the other opeing up a pen and closing it after signing.
I had to stop watching after a few mins.
Waste of my time.
I have a creepy feeling that he won't rule all that long. Man, he looks terrible for his age.
His face is so red , he doesn't look right.
Hate to say it, but William should be on stand by.
IDK, maybe it's not nice to say such a thing about anyone but he doesn't strike me as living to be 96 like his mother.
There will never be a monarch like the Queen, a different era.

-@Marilyn Tassy

Another try,,,,,

It was interesting in one way to see how it worked when a King/Queen accedes to the throne. We never saw that televised before as of course there was no television in there and it's not like Charles was old enough to know what was happening when Elizabeth acceded. It's not like he was applying for the job, it was just rubber stamping required to make it public.  The Queen breathed out her last and the King breathed in his first as King.  Not even one second gap. Continuity is everything with the monarchy.

I do agree he doesn't look that great, he's very ruddy faced and his ears are rather disproportionately large.  He's got good genes - his Mum and Dad well into their 90s and his grandmother past 100. So he's got a chance of around 20-25 years in him. William is 40, so he would be relatively young if he became king at 60.  I suppose it's an apprenticeship that takes that long. At least he knows now "how to take over".

I think Charles's TV speech was on the money and the transition looks seamless. Good job someone planned it all out.

What's real creepy is that somewhere deep in Buckingham Palace there's no doubt a team working out the details of Charles's funeral. Just in case he does a John Paul I.

-@Cynic
-@Marilyn Tassy
It's an A3 size parchment appointing me to be a Warrant Officer in HM Armed Forces, signed in 1987 by the then Defence Secretary (George Younger).

SACEUR is a US 4-star general who among other things commands the NATO forces in Europe. While based in Germany, I got a call one Saturday morning telling me that he (General Rogers) was flying into our base on what was basically a Christmas shopping trip with his extended family. Our job was to head off the van full of all the goodies they had just bought in Bielefeld, get it to his aircraft and stowed on board before the General and entourage got there. So we had a squad of guys standing by and we got on with the task. What we hadn't reckoned on was nobody telling the Generals driver what was going on and apparently, he stuck to the tail of our little convoy and instead of stopping off at the Station Headquarters for SACEUR to meet the Station Commander, he brought them straight to the aircraft steps where they disembarked and proceeded to head up the aircraft steps, where the previously mentioned squad were heading down having stashed the goodies in the rear baggage hold. Saceurs mother got knocked back down the steps where luckily, I caught her, and placed her to one side, in time to catch one of the young kids going the same way.
-@Cynic

Nice story, like a Hero, you were the right person in place for that moment.

What's real creepy is that somewhere deep in Buckingham Palace there's no doubt a team working out the details of Charles's funeral. Just in case he does a John Paul I.
-@zif

I expect there are teams everywhere there's a head of state including one planning for Biden's death from natural causes or if he's assassinated or incapable in some way.  Of course that has happened before so it's not like there's no experience of it.   

JP1 was a short one but I'll raise you Andropov (for leader of the Soviet Union) who was in harness only 15 months.

I guess most leaders are going to be into their 60s or 70s so time and stress will lead to the grim reaper will catch up with them one way or another.  It's amazing to see how quickly leaders age while in office. Shocking declines - grey hair and wizened.

-@zif

Not only in Buckingham Palace and not only for Charles.  Every Government Department will have someone whose job it is to keep these plans up to date for all of the high-profile members of our society; I suspect there will be similar "things" going on in most other countries.  Those of us who've had any involvement in ceremonial events will be picking holes in what our successors are doing, but we'll keep our mouths firmly shut till the next time we meet and the beers have to be paid for.  The Media (BBC, Sky etc), will have a package ready to go for such events, and presenters will know their brief and have appropriate clothing ready to go in the office.  Although I'm not a fan of the media, the majority of the press (with one significant exception) have in my opinion done very well so far, let's just hope they can keep it up for another week.

Not only in Buckingham Palace and not only for Charles. Every Government Department will have someone whose job it is to keep these plans up to date for all of the high-profile members of our society; I suspect there will be similar "things" going on in most other countries. Those of us who've had any involvement in ceremonial events will be picking holes in what our successors are doing, but we'll keep our mouths firmly shut till the next time we meet and the beers have to be paid for. The Media (BBC, Sky etc), will have a package ready to go for such events, and presenters will know their brief and have appropriate clothing ready to go in the office. Although I'm not a fan of the media, the majority of the press (with one significant exception) have in my opinion done very well so far, let's just hope they can keep it up for another week.
-@Cynic

I wonder if famous celebs like Elon Musk have succession plans in case of an untimely demise. I would have thought major corporations would insist on it in order to protect the business.

Surprisingly my Dad, age 98, has made a plan himself. He's not bothered about his things but he's keen to rest somewhere he likes. The traditional UK Fluffy Family graveyard is not liked by him and it's getting a bit crowded there anyway. There's hardly any space in the plots available - one of them has 4 people in it. Touring it with my Dad, he's able to point out his mother and father, my brother, his sister, grandparents and even plots with his classmates from school. I was surprised to think probably all his peers are gone now. He's planning to be in the countryside where there's a view which is OK I suppose. He's even made provision with the undertakers and organised it in advance so we have no say (or perhaps interfere).

When his time comes, we just have to phone them to kick them into action - no "London Bridge is down" like Liz but "Fluffy Daddio needs collecting". He's not being cremated but planted. He has a fear of being burnt but I am quite sure he doesn't need to worry, he wouldn't feel a thing.

Not only in Buckingham Palace and not only for Charles. Every Government Department will have someone whose job it is to keep these plans up to date for all of the high-profile members of our society; I suspect there will be similar "things" going on in most other countries. Those of us who've had any involvement in ceremonial events will be picking holes in what our successors are doing, but we'll keep our mouths firmly shut till the next time we meet and the beers have to be paid for. The Media (BBC, Sky etc), will have a package ready to go for such events, and presenters will know their brief and have appropriate clothing ready to go in the office. Although I'm not a fan of the media, the majority of the press (with one significant exception) have in my opinion done very well so far, let's just hope they can keep it up for another week.
-@Cynic

I wonder if famous celebs like Elon Musk have succession plans in case of an untimely demise. I would have thought major corporations would insist on it in order to protect the business.

Surprisingly my Dad, age 98, has made a plan himself. He's not bothered about his things but he's keen to rest somewhere he likes. The traditional UK Fluffy Family graveyard is not liked by him and it's getting a bit crowded there anyway. There's hardly any space in the plots available - one of them has 4 people in it. Touring it with my Dad, he's able to point out his mother and father, my brother, his sister, grandparents and even plots with his classmates from school. I was surprised to think probably all his peers are gone now. He's planning to be in the countryside where there's a view which is OK I suppose. He's even made provision with the undertakers and organised it in advance so we have no say (or perhaps interfere).

When his time comes, we just have to phone them to kick them into action - no "London Bridge is down" like Liz but "Fluffy Daddio needs collecting". He's not being cremated but planted. He has a fear of being burnt but I am quite sure he doesn't need to worry, he wouldn't feel a thing.
-@fluffy2560

I can't think of any significant autocratic businesses in the Western world; the big public companies will have shareholders who will insist on disaster plans.  When you consider that very few businesses will use their own cash to buy assets (buildings, vehicles etc), the banks/financiers will insist on sight and approval of such planning.

An ex-colleague of mine, his family have a "thing" about donating their bodies to science, I think they're to mean to pay for a funeral.

98 years old, Amazing!!

I bet he has seen and lived through so many interesting times and seen it all.

I wish someone had written down my grandfathers adventures.

Word of mouth is the only history we have.

My friend in Hawaii has recently been selling her father's book on Amazon.

She put it together and had it published just these past few months.

It's his life story, his time in the 1940's in the ,"Negro National League Baseball'

Don Troy, he is well known from what I gather in the old Negro League.

I didn't even think my friend was part black, that's how much I don't see race much .

I'm color blind?

That's really something to leave behind for the next generations.

BTW - in regards to the naked man "escaping" Buckingham Palace...

If ever there were a video we wish had been true, it's this one. But alas, the 43-second clip which appears to show a naked man clambering out of a Buckingham Palace window naked, clinging on to bedsheets, has in fact been declared a hoax.

98 years old, Amazing!!
I bet he has seen and lived through so many interesting times and seen it all.
I wish someone had written down my grandfathers adventures.
Word of mouth is the only history we have.
My friend in Hawaii has recently been selling her father's book on Amazon.
She put it together and had it published just these past few months.
It's his life story, his time in the 1940's in the ,"Negro National League Baseball'
Don Troy, he is well known from what I gather in the old Negro League.
I didn't even think my friend was part black, that's how much I don't see race much .
I'm color blind?
That's really something to leave behind for the next generations.
-@Marilyn Tassy

Yes, my Dad is 98 and still relatively OK.  His mind is going  a bit - forgetful and confused sometimes - but mostly he's on the ball.   I am amazed he's gone from seeing steam engines working in the fields threshing the wheat to everyone glued to their mobile  phones.  Things have certainly changed in all that time.   

But I see it myself, like becoming disconnected from current times - my teenagers think I'm a dinosaur because I'm not in Instagram or TikTok.   One really disconcerting thing is their willingness to find amusement in others misfortune.  They all laugh at cars crashing or accidents or things going wrong in some way. I just see people being hurt and wonder about how injured they are.  It's just not funny. The quality of their "comedy" is not good at all.

I hate to mention  it but when will we see your book Marilyn?  You have so many stories, they should be captured and written down!

If I ever wrote a book it would be in the discount bin in short order!

No nobel prize...No awards!

I really don't get it either, how everyone is walking around looking at a phone instead of looking at the sky or what is going on around them.

When they get old all they will have is selfies.

As a teen I loved just taking a walk in the fresh air and day dreaming in the grass. Wasn't on any grass either!

I do use the computer but never use a cell phone.

I refuse to become a zombie that much.

They are good for an emergency or to use the GPS.

Could of used GPS a few times in the past.

Our neighbor needed a new land line wire and called us up. They shops aren't even selling them any longer!

We being hoarders had an extra one to give her.

I still have almost all my music on tapes. Still use an old walkman.

Not that we are cheap but we see no reason to update some things as they become out of date in a few years or even months.

If I ever wrote a book it would be in the discount bin in short order!
No nobel prize...No awards!
I really don't get it either, how everyone is walking around looking at a phone instead of looking at the sky or what is going on around them.
When they get old all they will have is selfies.
As a teen I loved just taking a walk in the fresh air and day dreaming in the grass. Wasn't on any grass either!
I do use the computer but never use a cell phone.
I refuse to become a zombie that much.
They are good for an emergency or to use the GPS.
Could of used GPS a few times in the past.
Our neighbor needed a new land line wire and called us up. They shops aren't even selling them any longer!
We being hoarders had an extra one to give her.
I still have almost all my music on tapes. Still use an old walkman.
Not that we are cheap but we see no reason to update some things as they become out of date in a few years or even months.
-@Marilyn Tassy

I don't know, I think you have these little 1960s/70s/80s segments which could be stitched together. It's been done before - look at Forrest Gump - just a series of amusing little stories linked together. Same with most stories. My visualisation of it is a kind of story of life as a Californian teenager in those heady  and possibly even "romantic" days of the 60s/70s.  What I like about it is the linkages to people like the Rolling Stones, Hollywood types, your sister's apparent times as a groupie etc.  So many pastiches of those times could come out of it.

If I was doing it - and I'm definitely no writer - I'd scribble them down any old way, make them little vignettes like 1/2 - 1 page each. A sort of episode/story on its own. Filling in the gaps, linking them up and putting them in a sensible story telling order and indeed suitable embellishments and stretching for comedic and dramatic effect can come later. 

If you got writing, you could find yourself back in Hollywood by private jet ready to discuss it with screenwriters!

No thanks, I actually was approached at age 17 to be in a movie.

Seriously it was strange.

I went to a friends house after school to hear some music and when I left the house there was a note on their families car addressed to,"The girl in the hat with the long scarf around the brim".

I thought it was a prank.

I showed the note to my other friend and she thought it would be fun to see if it was for real or not.

The note said something about me looking like the perfect person to star in a new movie. I was to play a con artist!! Me, not in my nature for sure to con anyone.

Called the number and made an appintment.

Well we hitched over to MGM studios and the guard let us in, I really was on the ,"list" to meet with a producer!

We walked int a nice office and were lead into the producers office by his secretary.

He was an older man and he handed me a script and wanted a cold read right then and there!

I was blown away, we thought if anything it was just going to be some crazy old pervo and we would just have a laugh about it all.

I read, not a very good read I'd say.

He was super nice and explained the charactor he had in mind and thanked us for coming in.

He asked how we there and we told him we hitched a ride over.

He wouldn't hear of it and gave us cab fare.

Never bothered me at all that I didn't land the role but I bet many peple who spent years in acting classes would of sold their souls just for that chance to read for a starring role.

We hitched home anyways and bought a bucket of friend chicken with the cab fare money.

To think, I coulda been a star!!

I went to a friends house after school to hear some music and when I left the house there was a note on their families car addressed to,"The girl in the hat with the long scarf around the brim".
I showed the note to my other friend and she thought it would be fun to see if it was for real or not.
The note said something about me looking like the perfect person to star in a new movie. I was to play a con artist!! Me, not in my nature for sure to con anyone.
Well we hitched over to MGM studios and the guard let us in, I really was on the ,"list" to meet with a producer!
We walked int a nice office and were lead into the producers office by his secretary.
He was an older man and he handed me a script and wanted a cold read right then and there!
I was blown away, we thought if anything it was just going to be some crazy old pervo and we would just have a laugh about it all.
He was super nice and explained the charactor he had in mind and thanked us for coming in.
Never bothered me at all that I didn't land the role but I bet many peple who spent years in acting classes would of sold their souls just for that chance to read for a starring role.
We hitched home anyways and bought a bucket of friend chicken with the cab fare money.
-@Marilyn Tassy

That's exactly what I was talking about!  That kind of thing would be woven into your stories. Bucket of fried chicken and fame! What else could one want!

Acting is of course pretending, so acting in a movie as a con artist is just giving the flavours of one, rather than actually living that life. It's a skill of course to convey that. Some actors are just gifted in switching it on and off doing that. On the other hand, I believe Dustin Hoffman becomes the person he's portraying. Hard to imagine how one could do that.

Things are not looking good in Hungary, I saw a news report that firms are having to half their workforce.

Not sure what the cause is?

Things are not looking good in Hungary, I saw a news report that firms are having to half their workforce.
Not sure what the cause is?
-@SimCityAT

Import costs are rising, HUF is dropping, debt increasing and inevitably the economy will shrink. OV has not been able to keep the Bear from the door, even though the Bear promises not to rip OV to shreds, the mere presence of the Bear is causing a problem.  The Bear's days are numbered anyway.

Things are circling the plughole even more. They're changing the abortion laws with regulations that have elements of the recent US legal changes.  It's a change in the status quo since 1953. Looks like desperation on OV's part. Run out of ideas and grasping for straws. It will alienate a lot of people but if it's enough to get rid of him, too early to say. It wasn't an issue I heard anyone complaining about.

I'm beginning to think we're living in an autocrat's parallel universe.  Like Putin, everything seems to be about OV. I don't know how Hungary is going to recover from the damage being caused. People will be thinking HU is a basket case run by a dictator. Seems to me, it's going to drive many young people out of the country and lead to a brain drain. Exactly the opposite of what was intended. I even wondered if the EU would ask Hungary to leave, rather than wait for it to implode.

The laws of economics are kicking in Hungary's door, but O1G and his kleptocracy will be fine as I am sure they have much of their ill-gotten corrupt gains in Swiss Francs or elsewhere. We know O1G has personally been buying huge swaths of Balaton land (put in the name of family members, not himself). Ordinary Hungarians and people like you and I will suffer as we grapple with the worst inflation and rising import costs and absolutely no sympathy from European allies who have their own problems to worry about and have been burned and scapegoated at every turn by Fidesz.

But don't you worry! Szajjarto was quoted as saying, "Hungary will be successful because “we are world champions in economic crisis management”, the foreign minister said."

And this economic crisis to you and me has turned into an economic opportunity for O1G and friends: Hungary, in cooperation with oligarch Lőrinc Mészáros, has in recent weeks used state funds to buy the telecommunication giant Vodafone Hungary for 350 billion forints (approximately 866.6 million euros) — which means Fidesz-allied actors continue to strengthen their positions despite the impending recession — the very same economic downturn that is forcing the government to start implementing austerity measures.

Add to that the "economic alcoholic binge" of pre-election "gifts" handed out to pensioners, price controls, and stadiums throughout Hungary. International banks have downgraded their trust in the forint for a variety of reasons making these spending plans even more expensive as "Hungary now has such a poor credit rating, [according to one prominent banker], “we are between Botswana and Tobago,” referring to Trinidad and Tobago." In an assessment last week, the credit rating agency Standard & Poor's revised Hungary's economic outlook to “negative” from “stable.” The agency warned that without money from Brussels, Hungary's economic growth rate and its government accounts could suffer badly. Another rating agency, Fitch, voiced alarm over “high public debt, a record of unorthodox fiscal-and-monetary policy moves and a worsening of governance indicators.”

O1G and his cronies are not sharing in the despair of their citizens. Widespread grumbling over Hungary's economic woes, particularly inflation and a rapidly depreciating national currency, and regular street protests in Budapest, the capital, do not threaten the government: It does not face a general election until 2026.

Still, you might think that Hungary would start to think seriously about the EU funds held up by Brussels waiting for Rule of Law changes. Hungary is the only country in the EU which still does not have a plan for the recovery funds accepted yet, due to corruption and other objections by the EU.

The cohesion funds plus the COVID recovery funds amount to some 80 billion Euros (about 60 billion in cohesion funds, 21 billion in COVID recovery). Most of that is being held up by the EU for want of substantive reforms by Fidesz. The Hu government has already proposed some changes and made promises, however the general feeling is that Hungary has made promises before and not delivered, and the Fidesz government is not a "trustworthy partner".

EU budget commissioner Johannes Hahn has proposed that around 70 percent of EU funding envisaged for Hungary be suspended, according to a July document published by the EU Commission.

The commissioner in a note to other commissioners said that "70 percent suspension of commitment" of the programmes from the 2021-27 EU budget are "proportionate" in the case of Hungary where the risk to the EU funds is "very significant".

Hahn cites "systemic irregularities, deficiencies and weaknesses in public procurement procedures; high rate of single bidding procedures and low intensity of competition" in Hungarian procurement procedures, the "detection, prevention and correction of conflicts of interest", and "limitations to effective investigation and prosecution of alleged criminal activity," in particular high-level corruption cases.

The budget commissioner informs the fellow commissioners that Hungary, in its response, has "not submitted substantiated information regarding the concerns identified with respect to the judicial independence", and only replied partially to concerns.

Hungary plans to create an anti-corruption authority to oversee spending of EU funds in a bid to unlock another tranche of money from the Covid-19 recovery fund.

"Orbán is making proposals that will continue to secure him EU funds without really ending the systematic corruption of his friends and family," German Green MEP Daniel Freund said, who participated in creating the new rule-of-law mechanism in 2020.

"The goal must be to restore democracy and the rule of law in Hungary," he added.

Hungary had irregularities in almost 4 percent of its spending of EU funds in 2015-2019, according to the bloc's anti-fraud body Olaf, the highest among the 27 EU countries.

A previous commission, in July 2022, urged a full suspension of EU funds to Hungary.

“Only 100% suspensions, reductions, interruptions, and recoveries will sufficiently protect the EU's financial interests,” the report reads, adding that “this measure is proportional and appropriate.”

John Morijn, one of the co-authors of the study and rule of law expert, told EURACTIV a partial suspension of funds would not be enough against the “fundamental, frequent or widespread” breaches to the rule of law in Hungary, given the mismanagement of EU funds, the changing legal environment and the lack of an independent judiciary in the country.

In the context of the current situation, “it is irresponsible to spend EU money there,” Morijn said. He added that suspending the funds would also benefit Hungarian citizens by putting pressure on Orbán's government and avoiding funds ending up in the wrong hands.

If the Commission decides not to suspend all EU funds, it “would need to justify why it is not following the law,” Morijn said, adding that “the law has been ignored for long.”

MEPs from across the main political parties supported the study's findings, urging the EU executive to block all funds to Hungary.

“The rule of law in Hungary won't be fixed with half-hearted actions. The legal text is clear: a full suspension of all EU transfers to the Orbán's government is imperative,” MEP Freund told EURACTIV.

“There is little to no wiggle room for the EU Commission,” he said. “We call on Ursula von der Leyen to make full use of all tools available and to freeze all funding for the Orbán regime.”

Which prompted the predictable response from the Fidesz government:

EU lawmakers stressed that the study is not a political assessment but a legal one.

“The conditionality mechanism is a mechanism to protect our budget, and that is what we are doing,” said Moritz Korner of Renew, dismissing Fidesz's accusation of the tool being a political instrument.

Officials from the Hungarian government said the “European Union funding is also our money, and its spending cannot be influenced by blackmail and unclear procedures that are based on unfounded accusations.”

“We will not accept anyone subjecting us to any kind of political blackmail or pressuring,” they added.

Is this Fidesz charm offensive working?

For Ilona Debre, a Christian from a nearby village who said she was disgusted by Mr. Orban's self-declared role as a defender of Christian values, the economic mess provides hope that “God will finally punish this government.” That, she added, is a long shot because “Hungary is a nation of sheep,” but “we are still hoping that Brussels will knock Orban on the head by not giving him any more money.”

All of these economic woes have not focused Fidesz on economics but who still decry the declining morals and Christian values of the West. Szajjarto stated that there were six sources of danger, including the danger of physical security, economic danger, energy supply problems, the strengthening of migration resulting from supply difficulties, the poor continental and global responses to the war and political blackmail. O1G was made famous for a recent speech which veered into open racism with a warning that Europeans must not “become peoples of mixed race.” One of his longtime advisers resigned, describing Mr. Orban's speech as “worthy of Goebbels,” Hitler's propaganda chief. Again, nothing about the corruption within, Fidesz mistakes, or economics, this is a cultural war for their political and financial gains.

The govt still has time to propose serious changes that the EU will believe to release EU funds. Given the EU's history, some amount of relief may come to Hungary. But the voices suggesting a 100% ban of EU funds are growing louder, not quieting. With their own troubles at home, the EU is wondering why they should be supporting the protection of democracy in Ukraine while letting "illiberal democracy" and increasing authoritarianism grow within their own borders.

Sorry about the large rant... Hope it was somewhat interesting.

@Vicces1 Good post, not always easy to follow though. I am a simple man, just things were happened (as per my prior posts) Orban (the year before elections) gave many subsidies (especially for real Hungarians). Giving these subsidies helped  for re-election (not the expats I have to add). ]

The consequences are there and subsidies are subsiding (as they should be).

Whereas I am not really impacted by additional taxes, I was impacted by the subsidies. Hence leaving Hungary. I do not say a socialist government would be better (could be worse even). But handing out so much just before elections is not good at all,

What is best, I really do not know, I love people from Hungary, I love their food, I love respect for older people.

Please do not say I am repeating myself (i know I do (and intended))

Orban is safe for some years to come and perhaps he can things in order (I suspect he will in a way)

Where to get taxes? Perhaps like in Netherlands, just a living tax, which can be massive, really massive.

A nightmare for real estate agents, but who cares

4  % of 100000 properties rather then 60000 us still not too bad, just apply 2% annual charge for value on property helps the budget. (example Georgia)

Messy again (apologies)

...But don't you worry! Szajjarto was quoted as saying, "Hungary will be successful because “we are world champions in economic crisis management”, the foreign minister said."

Sorry about the large rant... Hope it was somewhat interesting.
-@Vicces1

It was perfect posting and definitely not a rant.

If the government was doing its job, it wouldn't be engaging in economic crisis management.

Szajjarto is an idiot.  He's like Lavrov - spouting mistruths even in the face of the evidence.

I don't think O1G will survive his term.  If things are hitting the average HU person's pocket, they will be on the street.  He's not Midas, not everything is in his control. 

Yes, it all corrupt everywhere in just about every country.

I only have to say, I don't really think giving some more money to seniors is all that bad.

What did they actually recieve? I thought is was only one extra monthly payment for the entire year.

People forget that most seniors live on less then 1/4th the income they brought home when working.

Medications aren't free and most spend allot on buying them just to make it without going into a care home.

Together my husband and I bring in less in a month then he made alone in a week when working with his old 1980's income.

We however don't get a dime here from Hungary, it all good we don't need any extras but many do.

I have a friend who moved to Sweden recently from Hungary.

Now that is a country that gives money out no questions asked. You could have a hang nail and they would give you disablity and pay your way for life.

I wonder if inflation is just a way to scare people and keep them from going mad when they change the money system?

Make them think they are better off with a new monatary system.

Every debt wiped away etc.

People will except it and not see they really are about to have everything in the lives under full control of the central system. Credit points if your a good citizen and be locked out if you ask too many questions.

Stories like this really get under my skin!!

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne … 66981.html

“We couldn't believe how amazing it was – we thought, why isn't everyone doing this?”

An adventurous family-of-six who have lived in 25 different countries in just eight years say they have saved £100,000 and holidayed non-stop for free by swapping their home with stunning chalets and villas across the globe.

Daniel Prince, 46, and his wife, Clair, 46, both originally from Essex, had moved abroad to Singapore for Daniel's work – but by 2014, he found himself tied constantly to his desk while she juggled four young children at home and they knew they needed a dramatic life change.

Selling their family home and most of their belongings, the couple gambled everything for a nomadic life, swapping their holiday home in Thailand for glamorous properties in locations including America, Canada, Australia and Europe.

While home-schooling their four children, Kaitlyn, now 17, Sophia, 14, and twins Lauren and Samuel, 11, the family ticked off an incredible 80 properties across the globe before settling in France for a few years, including during the pandemic.

Now raring to travel again through house-swapping, Clair said: “Eight years ago, we thought, this can't be what life is meant to be.

“Daniel was constantly working and I was here, there and everywhere looking after four children.”

She added: “We just thought, life has to be more fun than this. And we have done exactly that – we made life fun.

“We could never have travelled the world like this with such a big family without house swapping, which has saved us so much money and allowed us to travel in a luxurious way without compromise.

“It has been amazing – and it doesn't need to stop yet.”

Moving to Singapore in 1999 for Daniel's work in foreign exchange, the couple enjoyed travelling around Asia, before settling down with the kids.

But they found themselves stuck in a frustrating cycle.

Clair said: “The cost of childcare was so expensive that it was cheaper for me to look after the kids.”

She continued: “I was at home with the four kids, trying to keep up with the Joneses, while travelling here, there and everywhere for the kids' ballet and music and school.

“Meanwhile, Daniel was working 24/7 to get food on the table but we would never see him.”

Holidays were also a rarity because of the cost.

Clair said: “We would need two hotel rooms, which would be £150 a night, plus  lunch and dinners every day, which could be £500 a day.

“It just wasn't affordable.”

Desperate for a change, the couple began looking for a way out and stumbled on lovehomeswap.com.

“It sounded amazing and we immediately thought, should we do this?” she said.

For months, the couple agonised over the decision but decided to take the leap of faith in early 2014.

Selling their Singapore home and most of their belongings left Clair and Daniel their holiday home in Thailand to swap with other travellers.

She said: “We sold pretty much everything we owned so that gave us a bit to live off – and by 2014, we were off.”

Heading to house swaps in the UK first, to visit family and friends, the Princes then headed off to Croatia, Dubai, Thailand and Cambodia before arriving in Australia for Christmas 2014.

“We stopped in Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, and ended our year of travels in New Zealand for three months, which was incredible.”

“We couldn't believe how amazing it was – we thought, why isn't everyone doing this?”

With a steady income of around £1,000 a month they earned by renting out their Thailand home in between house swapping guests, while paying just £120 for their lovehomeswap.com annual membership, Daniel and Clair were able to live humbly.

“When you swap your home, you pay for the electricity in your own home but the rental money we made would offset any bills we accrued,” she said.

She added: “All of the homes were so peaceful and comfortable and we were able to live on a reasonable budget.”

“Some days we would have zero-dollar days, where we wouldn't spend anything and go explore and take a picnic or find a free activity to do.”

And while they quickly settled into their exciting new life, Clair admitted it took some settling in.

“It took a long time to realise this was our reality,” she said.

“With home-schooling we kept it very flexible, depending on where we were – so for example, when we were in Rome, it was a history lesson wherever we walked.”

“Whereas in New Zealand, we had time to chill outside the house and sit and do schoolwork.”

After a stint in New Zealand, the family upped sticks again to home swap across the United States, starting in San Francisco before going into Seattle, Vancouver, New York and Virginia.

“Of all the places, Croatia was probably our favourite place because it was stunningly beautiful and had such a lovely community feel among the village we stayed in,” she said.

“There were so many moments that blew our minds – like horse riding along the beach in New Zealand or sailing on a yacht out of the port of Marbella or having a picnic at Sydney Opera House on Christmas Eve.”

Heading back to Europe after two years of travelling, to visit the UK and Italy, Daniel and Clair then decided to slow down their travels.

“We had been travelling for two and a half years which was incredible but we wanted our kids to learn another language and the best way to do that is to be completely immersed into it,” she said.

“So we house swapped around France until we were offered to rent one of the properties out and we ended up staying for the next two years.”

She added: “We still did a bit of house-swapping for holidays while we were in France in 2018 – including a ski house swap in the French Alps.

“We borrowed clothes so we only had to hire the ski boots and ski passes.”

While the family only briefly settled, the pandemic elongated their stay by a few years, and Daniel began working as an online consultant, before starting a financial podcast co-hosted by daughter Lauren – Once Bitten! A Bitcoin Podcast.

Now with the borders open again, Daniel and Clair are itching to get back out travelling.

“Daniel is now being invited to speak at conferences for his podcast so he is going to tie in house-swapping with work.

“It's hard to put a finger on how much we must have saved, but it could well be £100,000 – all we have ever had to pay for is the travel to get to each place,” she said.

She added: “The difference it has made to the kids' lives is amazing – they have such an incredible outlook on life and acceptance of different people regardless of wherever we are in the world.

“For the twins especially, who were three when we started this, this is the life they have only ever known.

“They are all so independent, adventurous and confident.”

She added: “We've probably made it harder for us as parents in the future though, because they all have plans to live in different corners of the world.”

With plans to start home-swapping again, Daniel said: “It's nearly ten years since we made the decision to go for it, and if we hadn't, we would never have had the experiences we have had sat in an office or classroom.

“There is no way we could have ever done what we have done without house swapping and I can't wait to get going again.”

Good grief!! I'll houseswap my walk up in Budapest with a condo on Wikiki beach anyday!!!

I have to call,"BS" on whoever thinks this is for real!!

I remember back in the mid 80's so many people in our apt. complex were getting into a pramid scam. People I thought had half a brain cell were buying into it.

Everyone would come over to me and start talking about investing in this scam.

Of course my husband saw right through it.

One sucker needs another sucker to get their funds back.

My wife's sister has a time-share in the Caribbean that she began swapping with other time-share people.  Quite a clever little scheme I thought.

My wife's sister has a time-share in the Caribbean that she began swapping with other time-share people. Quite a clever little scheme I thought.
-@Cynic

This is not a time share

My wife's sister has a time-share in the Caribbean that she began swapping with other time-share people. Quite a clever little scheme I thought.
-@Cynic

My deceased brother had a house in Trinidad but sold it when he got sick.   I don't think anyone went there.

My Mum and Dad had a timeshare in Madeira but it was rubbish, the costs were so high, it wasn't worth any money.  They gave it back.  Essentially they were conned.  They owned nothing really and had parted with too much money for pre-paid holiday access using some timeshare company. I think it was a scam.  They only went a few times and no-one from the family used it.

Yes, it all corrupt everywhere in just about every country.
I only have to say, I don't really think giving some more money to seniors is all that bad.
What did they actually recieve? I thought is was only one extra monthly payment for the entire year.
People forget that most seniors live on less then 1/4th the income they brought home when working.
Medications aren't free and most spend allot on buying them just to make it without going into a care home.
Together my husband and I bring in less in a month then he made alone in a week when working with his old 1980's income.
We however don't get a dime here from Hungary, it all good we don't need any extras but many do.
I have a friend who moved to Sweden recently from Hungary.
Now that is a country that gives money out no questions asked. You could have a hang nail and they would give you disablity and pay your way for life.
I wonder if inflation is just a way to scare people and keep them from going mad when they change the money system?
Make them think they are better off with a new monatary system.
Every debt wiped away etc.
People will except it and not see they really are about to have everything in the lives under full control of the central system. Credit points if your a good citizen and be locked out if you ask too many questions.
-@Marilyn Tassy

It really depends where you are. In the UK, over 60, medicines are completely free. In Wales and Scotland, completely free however old you are. Don't know about Northern Ireland - probably free.  It saves people's lives - medical care is fundamentally free if it's an emergency. On the other hand, if you end up in a care home, you could lose everything. And yet you cannot take it with you. No-one wants to die because of unaffordable medication or lack of medical attention.

But if O1G wanted to do something socially responsible, he could make all medicines free and he could make care homes free. Some of them look quite dire. We will need one for my MIL at some point.

Paying out for that makes more sense than building football stadiums or messing around with the abortion laws or spouting nonsense like Goebbels or being Putin's pal.

I know many of the seniors here in Hungary got the shaft.

They worked in their youth under the communist system and then things changed.

They never had a chance to save for their old age and their monthly incomes can be very ,very low.

No too many of them are having a carefree time in the Golden years.

Most can't afford to do the things they dreamed of doing when they retired.

I had a health scare last year and almost everything was covered under the HU national health.

A few medications had to come out of pocket but I did a price comparison with US pharma prices.

I paid a tiny fraction out of pocket comparied to what is charged in the US.

I can walk into my specailist office anytime I wish to if needed while those in the US have to wait months for an appintment. They go to urgent care clinics if they can't wait.

I had some shots which cost around $25. for 5 shots. In the US the same shot was priced at between $311. to just over $500. each shot!

My friend in the US husband had the same illness as I had. HIs costs for treatments were $98,000! That's with US senior health coverage Medicare.'He was charged $9,800 out of pocket for treatments.

They got the bill reduced t $7,000 but still!!

On a SS check that is a huge burden to pay off.

This was 2 years ago for him and they are still making payments.

Overall Hungary does take care of people but it could always be better. They are in dire need of updated equipment and more equipment. They could also reduce waiting times when at the offices. If they had more equipment then times would be less.Waiting hours when your very ill is difficult.

Many seniors here really don't even have the extra $25. to spend on medication.Hard to believe but many hardly get any SS at all, very low in many cases.

I know they have free lunches at a senior center for the very low income . Our ld next door neighbr worked all her life in Hungary and her SS was low. She sold her apt. to her daughter and lived with her fmaily. The women had lived her whole life in that flat, 72 years.She had food delivered every weekday by the gov.

She usually let her granddaughter eat it but still they did deliver to her.

I do not noitce anyone in our building now getting food deliveries from the gov.

Most of the older people in our building have moved on or passed on.

Hungary is no longer a full democracy but an 'electoral autocracy,' MEPs declare in new report

This is another part of the slide out of the EU.

I cannot see the EU kicking Hungary out.

But I could see OV leveraging this to start a campaign to leave.   

Once out, he could consolidate power to be a Putin-cum-Lukashenko mini-me and intend for his dynasty and acolytes to "rule forever".

-@Marilyn Tassy

That's exactly what I was talking about! That kind of thing would be woven into your stories. Bucket of fried chicken and fame! What else could one want!

Acting is of course pretending, so acting in a movie as a con artist is just giving the flavours of one, rather than actually living that life. It's a skill of course to convey that. Some actors are just gifted in switching it on and off doing that. On the other hand, I believe Dustin Hoffman becomes the person he's portraying. Hard to imagine how one could do that.
-@fluffy2560

I walked int that office thinking it was all going to be one big joke.

The joke was on me since it was for real!

I mean who gets discovered walking on the sidewalk?

They say Lana Turner was discovered at a soda fountain stand having a drink, who knows.

I sure don't look like Lana Turner, why ask me for a read?

I still remember the script in some ways.

I was to walk into a fancy restaurant with no money with me and act like I owned the place. I had to stop at the coat check on my way out and demand they hand me my coat, a fur coat, not mine.

I had to convince the coat check lady that I had walked in wearing that fur.

By the by or is it bye the bye?... They are once again using our st. for yet a movie set today.

Hmm, perhaps I should take a stroll and see if I'm re-discovered and make my acting debut at age 67?

I would be cast as the crazy lady ...

-@Marilyn Tassy

That's exactly what I was talking about! That kind of thing would be woven into your stories. Bucket of fried chicken and fame! What else could one want!

-@fluffy2560
I walked int that office thinking it was all going to be one big joke.
The joke was on me since it was for real!
I mean who gets discovered walking on the sidewalk?
They say Lana Turner was discovered at a soda fountain stand having a drink, who knows.
I sure don't look like Lana Turner, why ask me for a read?
I still remember the script in some ways.
I was to walk into a fancy restaurant with no money with me and act like I owned the place. I had to stop at the coat check on my way out and demand they hand me my coat, a fur coat, not mine.
I had to convince the coat check lady that I had walked in wearing that fur.
By the by or is it bye the bye?... They are once again using our st. for yet a movie set today.
Hmm, perhaps I should take a stroll and see if I'm re-discovered and make my acting debut at age 67?
I would be cast as the crazy lady ...
-@Marilyn Tassy

You could have just winged it and done what came naturally and bammm....money!

Lana Turner was married about 8 times!  Hollywood marriages don't seem to last.

All the best actors seem to be naturally doing what they are doing.  Renée Zellweger superficially seems talented.  But she always play the same person - herself! Mrs F liked her in Bridget Jones.  Her British accent was pretty good.   The only thing I don't like about her is that she's dumber than a box of rocks.  At least she appears so in interviews I've seen.  And she looks nothing like herself post-cosmetic surgery. Meg Ryan is the same.  What did you do to yourself? Wrinkly and pouty from too much lip filler.

You could still be a character actor at 67.  Why the hell not?!   A lot of old actors make that transition.  They don't always fade away as their looks fade.  I just saw Glenda Jackson on the TV.  Now she is so wizened and definitely au naturale for the roles she choses these days post-politics. 

....Most can't afford to do the things they dreamed of doing when they retired.
I had a health scare last year and almost everything was covered under the HU national health.
A few medications had to come out of pocket but I did a price comparison with US pharma prices.
I paid a tiny fraction out of pocket comparied to what is charged in the US.
I can walk into my specailist office anytime I wish to if needed while those in the US have to wait months for an appintment. They go to urgent care clinics if they can't wait.
I had some shots which cost around $25. for 5 shots. In the US the same shot was priced at between $311. to just over $500. each shot!
My friend in the US husband had the same illness as I had. HIs costs for treatments were $98,000! That's with US senior health coverage Medicare.'He was charged $9,800 out of pocket for treatments.
They got the bill reduced t $7,000 but still!!
On a SS check that is a huge burden to pay off.
This was 2 years ago for him and they are still making payments.
Overall Hungary does take care of people but it could always be better. They are in dire need of updated equipment and more equipment. They could also reduce waiting times when at the offices. If they had more equipment then times would be less.Waiting hours when your very ill is difficult.
-@Marilyn Tassy

It's that safety net that I'm concerned with.  In Europe, there's mostly been the concept the state would ultimately take care of you if you were down on your luck, either through money or health issues. No-one in the Western world should be dying of neglect - too rich to let that kind of thing fester.  Things here fall to relatives or charities to help people out.  It's such a burden on families to care for very elderly relatives. Unless you have money, then you're not going to suffer at all.  OV could start with free medication for the over 60s.

Clearly we all want more football stadiums - every town should have one or perhaps two in case the first one breaks. In our village we acquired a postage stamp sized swimming pool. It's so pathetically small, I doubt you could do more than about 8 strokes before reaching the end. And it looks like the football fields etc have been revamped. Yay! Well, no, not really. Be useful if they filled in the potholes first in all the roads. How can you sell the electorate football stadiums above health care? No idea.

Have you ever seen a repaired pothole named after a politician or donor? There's your answer.

Have you ever seen a repaired pothole named after a politician or donor? There's your answer.
-@zif

Closing the road from my village to Budapest to fix the potholes would cause massive traffic problems.  It's very heavily used and very heavily potholed and quite dangerous in the winter.   

It would be apt to rename it the OV memorial policy highway.  More holes than Swiss cheese.