Absolutely Anything Else

It's not just that. Trade relations with Britain simply aren't a pressing issue for the US. Besides, Britain would have to offer a lot to make a deal worthwhile for America, and it's not prepared, yet, to do that.
Look at how the Guardian characterized this today:

"In contrast, former president Donald Trump had promised a 'massive' trade deal to support Brexit, although Washington insiders had warned he would expect concessions in return."

Pretty naive to think that whoever the President, concessions will not be required.
-@zif

It makes sense to be friends economically with your allies.  UK is a huge investor in the USA and somewhat the same the other way. And there is the military interconnect.   UK is usually first to step up.  Not always but 99% of the time. 

But what you said is the USA all over.  US will never do anything except promote its own interests.  Nothing wrong with that, but I hope the UK is not so naive to believe its anything other than that.  I don't think current UK PM Truss has any allusions to anything more which is quite refreshing.  The UK does exist in a state of cognitive dissonance over the US most of the time.

Biden makes a lot of his Irish ties but it's largely nonsense. He's just about as much British as he is Irish.  I've got Irish and German ancestry way back but I don't consider myself to be anything other than fundamentally British. 

Trump said a lot of things.  I wouldn't believe even 20% of his garbage verbiage.  In any case, he might be doing time soon!

No, not 99 percent. No British troops in Vietnam, for example. (Not to suggest there should have been.) Then there was Suez, which didn't demonstrate much of a "military interconnect" with the US.

No, not 99 percent. No British troops in Vietnam, for example. (Not to suggest there should have been.) Then there was Suez, which didn't demonstrate much of a "military interconnect" with the US.
-@zif

Yes,  all true, Suez was a dark day in US-UK relations but it was a long time ago.   Viet Nam, sure, there was some preliminary involvement but didn't last long.  Australia was in there though.  Not for long if I remember properly. I am old enough to remember the TV pictures of supposedly the final helicopter taking the last US foot off the US Embassy roof. 

But there are other cooperation activities against what could be said to be generally staunch allies - Five Eyes etc. 

Maybe not 99% but 90% on message but in any event close enough plus or minus.  UK certainly didn't support the US pullout in Afghanistan but couldn't continue the mission otherwise.  Not a glorious event in anyone's history.

There was also some shenanigans over Syria too when Obama was running the US show.  The UK parliament didn't support the UK PM (then David Cameron) over Syria in 2013.  But that was because PMs had the ability to wage war without parliament approving it.  Now that's fixed. I often wonder if there's a bit too much UK brown nosing in the relationship.  UK is the junior partner in the relationship for sure.   US uses British/NATO bases in Cyprus and Turkey.

But in any case, UK has committed £2.3B to Ukraine in military aid independently of the USA.  It's good. US has done more but bigger economy so all good.   It's undoubtedly coordinated in Kyiv - there's a joint office with the Allies for supply chains into the field.  It's all good but none of that seems to be edging towards a regime change in Moscow and more importantly what needs to come eventually. In my mind, that's a break up of Russia to stop it having the capacity to wage war anywhere. 

I do see in the press mention of open criticism in Russian media of Putin now - at least reported externally. That's a change so who knows what is going on behind the scenes.  UK and US are still pretty much aligned on Ukraine.  So it works where it needs to work.  Other stuff is more like tiffs in the overall relationship.

-@zif

NO TEA PARTY: THE BRITISH-AMERICAN STRAIN OVER VIETNAM

For most of the 20th and—thus far—the 21st centuries, the American and British governments have stood firmly shoulder-to-shoulder on most global issues and as allies and supporters during times of war and conflict. However, the vaunted “Special Relationship” between the White House and 10 Downing Street has not always been so cosy. During the years 1964-68, large cracks in the bonds between Washington and London developed as the Vietnam War intensified and opposition to the war grew in the governing Labour Party in Britain. Opposition to the war within his party and among the general British public meant that Prime Minister Harold Wilson could not satisfy the United States' desire for support—particularly the frequent American requests for combat troops. In turn, the absence of direct British participation led President Lyndon B. Johnson to regard Wilson's various attempts to moderate the war largely as an irrelevance or even as a downright nuisance. Tensions over Vietnam helped ensure that the Wilson-Johnson relationship was probably the worst between any U.S. president and British prime minister.

Marilyn, there are times when it's awful being an expat and not being there, and this is one of them. Please accept my condolences.
-@zif
Yes, being an ex-pat has it's moments.
If my family lived a bit closer it wouldn't be a big thing too attened a funeral.
My husband flew to Hungary from NV when his mom passed away. Mom's are different though.
My brother wasn't religious at all, I'm not sure yet what his wife and he planned.
I'm guess a military funeral, he was in the USAF at age 18.
I just feel a bit bad, I had planned on ringing him up but thought I didn't want to bother him and that we had more time.
He was a very private person and never liked talking on the phone.
I consoled myself by watching way too many silly comedy specials on Netflix last night.Didn't laugh but didn't cry either.
As my niece said he is probably laughing his bum off with my sister wherever they are now. Calling us suckers for feeling sad.
Hope that's the case.
It makes me a bit angry though that he was at his work just 2 days ago.
He should of quit a year ago and enjoyed his time with his dogs and wife.
I'm not going to pull out the old scrape bok of photos just yet, don't think I'm ready for it.
Not to seem shallow but it makes one think, who's next?
-@Marilyn Tassy

Very sorry about it.

Maybe you can watch the funeral remotely? That's a thing these days and in the days of COVID.

I'm watching a TV funeral going on now in London. Someone called Liz, aged 96. Used to wear funny hats and wave a lot. She was popular judging by the number of friends turning up for the funeral.

My bro's MIL departed the day before Liz. It was sudden but she was old. It was a massive stroke. Didn't know it was coming but she was pretty old, well into her 90s and had been ill on and off for a while. When she went, she went really quickly. My SIL has said it will be a low key send off and almost no-one will attend. It seems, that's the way it was planned.
-@fluffy2560

My cousin passed abut 7-8 months ago he was also in his early 60's.

He had a military funeral and I was able to watch the service in my apt. in Budapest by remote.

I am not sure what my SIL and bro had planned exactly.

I thought he also would get a military funeral but she wrote me this morning to tell me she was seeing him for the last time and the funeral parlor was collecting him from the hospital.

My sister said something about him wanting to be cremated and set free on the land my cousins have out in New Mexico.

I'll know more in the next few days. He loved riding around in his Jeep in the desert.

I do not want to press my SIL too much and upset her more.

Everyone seems more worried about upsetting me them thinking of themselves right now.

I was my brothers closest sibling. I used to play mommy with him when he was 3 and I was 7, used to make sure he said his evening prayers and brushed his teeth before bedtime ,tucked him in and all. Out mother worked nights so I stepped in and put him to bed. Silly but he always had a special place in my heart, even when he grew into a man. Always my baby bro.

In the end it really doens't matter, he is gone and that's the only reality.

My youngest brother sent me a last photo of my deceased brother this morning. Makes me think of the Queen and her dogs. My bro was holding one of his Collies in his arm in the photo. He didn't look ill at all which is even more upsetting in some ways.

I couldn't watch the Queens funeral, just my nerves are a bit too raw ATM.

-@zif

NO TEA PARTY: THE BRITISH-AMERICAN STRAIN OVER VIETNAM
For most of the 20th and—thus far—the 21st centuries, the American and British governments have stood firmly shoulder-to-shoulder on most global issues and as allies and supporters during times of war and conflict. However, the vaunted “Special Relationship” between the White House and 10 Downing Street has not always been so cosy. During the years 1964-68, large cracks in the bonds between Washington and London developed as the Vietnam War intensified and opposition to the war grew in the governing Labour Party in Britain. Opposition to the war within his party and among the general British public meant that Prime Minister Harold Wilson could not satisfy the United States' desire for support—particularly the frequent American requests for combat troops. In turn, the absence of direct British participation led President Lyndon B. Johnson to regard Wilson's various attempts to moderate the war largely as an irrelevance or even as a downright nuisance. Tensions over Vietnam helped ensure that the Wilson-Johnson relationship was probably the worst between any U.S. president and British prime minister.
-@SimCityAT

Yes, I remember something about that in history.   Viet Nam was mainly just an American adventure.  And of course Johnson would be OK for other countries troops to die instead of American troops and therefore satisfy his home team.  In that respect, he was doing his job.  I suppose we've seen history repeating itself as is expected.  US hasn't actually had that good a track record on these kinds of regional conflicts.

But anyways, I've never believed in the special relationship.  It's just hyped up and a relationship of convenience.

Suez did happen some years ago, but to this day it defines Britain's freedom in international affairs.

Not to get into politics too much, but really could you really trust Trump? Even a lot of Brexiteers would not touch him with a barge pole. You just have to look at how he was treated when he visited the UK. Massive protest marches, even when he went to his Golf courses he had awful security issues.

.....and now all the trouble with taking classified documents, the January 6th riots and the only President to be impeached twice.

Suez did happen some years ago, but to this day it defines Britain's freedom in international affairs.
-@zif

Yes, it's not forgotten. It was a change for sure.

Falklands too was a bit of a low point but there was always a thought the US was helping from the sidelines.

Grenada might have been yet another low point.

Shall I mention the Second World War?

Not to get into politics too much, but really could you really trust Trump? Even a lot of Brexiteers would not touch him with a barge pole. You just have to look at how he was treated when he visited the UK. Massive protest marches, even when he went to his Golf courses he had awful security issues.
.....and now all the trouble with taking classified documents, the January 6th riots and the only President to be impeached twice.
-@SimCityAT

Trump is a showman.  He said he could shoot someone on 5th Avenue and get away with it.   

Question is if he goes down for a stretch (for whatever reason) if people will still support him when he comes out.

It's not like he's going to be banned from holding public office as the difference between him and the Republican Party is currently zero.

Maybe he'll get slapped with a substantial fine, maybe a bit of probation and/or maybe does time in a low security open prison etc.

As for the golf courses, he thinks everything is for sale - he was screwed because of the environmental issues.   

But he's like Del Boy - knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing.

Shall I mention the Second World War?
-@SimCityAT

No need to channel Basil Fawlty here!

We all know about that late arrival, zooming in and trying to take the credit.  It's not without other pain. It's inexplicable what the idea was appointing Joseph Kennedy as Ambassador during the earlier part of WW2. I'm always stunned by that guy. So much for special relationship. My eye.

But the victors always write the history.

That movie, U571, utter nonsense, even a travesty of history, written by Hollywood beneficiaries of that history.  But it shapes US public opinion, many of whom would believe it was true!

-@zif

I would bet they did have British trops in Vietnam but called them,"mercenaries".

In Paris,my husband worked in a painting crew for a few months. He was helping a group of old Hungarians with painting all around Paris and in the countryside.

These men all had to leave Hungary after WW11 because they had fought in the French Foreign Legion as mercenaries during WW11.

They were living on the edge of society.

My husband and his young friends would visit these old timers and listen to stories about the war from their perspective.

I can't recall the name of this Hungarian Grove, a nobleman who turned his estate over to the gov. before he left Hungary after the war but these old rough men would often pass this former Grove while he sat at a cafe having a drink. They all slightly bowed when they passed by him and he always waved and soaked in all the praises given to him.

Crazy stuff. The estate is near the National museum and is part of a park now days.

In 1986 when we visited Paris he looked them up for old tmes sake.

He knew exactly where to find them, it a bar in the Latin Quater.

My son and I didn't g into the bar, my husband wouldn't hear of it but he went in a found a few still alive.

He had one drink with them while my son and I waited outside.

They came out to meet us but went back for their free drinks really fast.

He left enough money with the barman for them all to have a nice hangover the next day.

I would bet they did have British trops in Vietnam but called them,"mercenaries".
-@Marilyn Tassy

There might have been a few freelancers but I don't think that it worked like that. 

There weren't any ordinary troops as such there as the PM of the day, Harold Wilson, didn't think it was the UK's fight and preferred mediation. LBJ didn't like that but Wilson didn't budge.

The UK special forces and of a few other nations must have engaged there on covert missions and so had the unofficial and deniable blessing of their national governments. Some British fought on the US side but they were immigrants to the USA so were able to join the US military. I believe UK military pilots were also working across the region and in Laos as part of the Air America operation.

There were some British mercenaries in the Angolan civil war. A few wannabe heros injured there.

In Ukraine, there are lots of international volunteers in Ukrainian units. I saw one video of a patrol which had British, American, German and a few other nationalities engaged in fighting there. Surprisingly their Lieutenant was from South Korea.  Not something I would have thought would happen. They looked professional, well equipped and highly organised.

Putin's partial mobilisation announcement may increase the fighting in the East but I expect many Russians will be trying to escape being conscripted. It might increase the numbers of internationals fighting on the Ukrainian side.  But also increase the number of Russians trying to get across the borders into the EU or other countries like Georgia.

I'm too old and unfit to be conscripted back into the British military. I could probably guard a building so long as there was enough tea and biscuits available.

I'm too old and unfit to be conscripted back into the British military. I could probably guard a building so long as there was enough tea and biscuits available.
-@fluffy2560

Dads Army ;)

-@fluffy2560

Dads Army wink.png
-@SimCityAT

We're doomed!

I might also need some furry slippers and an old cardigan. I draw the line at patches on the cardigan elbows.

Well watching the news now, and its getting pretty hard to get out of Russia by plane, tickets are going like hotcakes and flights are being sold out.

They simply don't want to fight.

Howard Stringer -- Sir Howard Stringer to you Brits -- is probably the most prominent UK citizen to have served in the US military in Vietnam. There weren't many.

We also have to remember that WII had ended 10 years before the start of the Vietnam War, the country had been battered and needed to get back on it legs to build it up again.

Well watching the news now, and its getting pretty hard to get out of Russia by plane, tickets are going like hotcakes and flights are being sold out.
They simply don't want to fight.
-@SimCityAT

I read flights to Armenia, Georgia and Dubai are completely booked and high priced as well.   More than several months salary for a ticket.

It's just all of nonsense.  Reservists will need additional training - the trainers are all getting shot up in Donbas.   It'd take 6 months before there was any effectiveness from reserve units.  And where's all the hardware going to come from?  All left rusting on the battlefield.  I cannot imagine people like 50+ going there to fight for Putin.  They've got no stomach for it.  People are going to notice their son, father, uncle, cousin, auntie disappeared in Ukraine.  I don't have much hope for Putin being deposed.  Unfortunately.

Howard Stringer -- Sir Howard Stringer to you Brits -- is probably the most prominent UK citizen to have served in the US military in Vietnam. There weren't many.
-@zif

He wasn't in combat though.  There are some others but indeed few of them.

We also have to remember that WII had ended 10 years before the start of the Vietnam War, the country had been battered and needed to get back on it legs to build it up again.
-@SimCityAT

I think a bit later before the Viet Nam war really started up but had been simmering across the region with the French forces.

But of course, in between, we had the Korean War.   

My Dad was actually called up for the Korean War but in the end he wasn't needed.  He'd done more than enough time during WW2.

It's a reasonable guess that Vietnam vets like Mr. Singer would be incensed to be dismissed with a "he wasn't in combat though." And properly so.

It's a reasonable guess that Vietnam vets like Mr. Singer would be incensed to be dismissed with a "he wasn't in combat though." And properly so.
-@zif

He was a military policeman in Saigon.   He wasn't out in the jungle fighting the VC from a foxhole. I doubt he'd be incensed at all.  It's what happened.

One of my former colleagues was in the Viet Nam war.  He was refuelling aircraft at a US air base.   He told me he went "home" to his local billet each day where his housekeeper made him and his mate/apartment sharer dinner.

I don't think even he would say his contribution was of the same significance as those patrolling and getting into firefights.

No, you dissed him. Just wrong, unless you were out there yourself crawling through some tunnel with a knife in your teeth.

No, you dissed him. Just wrong, unless you were out there yourself crawling through some tunnel with a knife in your teeth.
-@zif

Nah, I just said what happened to him.  But you can look it up. 

It's my opinion, he's not a good example for the subject at hand.

There are other examples which would be more significant and directly involved at the front.

I did see something about Russia calling in more people to fight.

I've been distracted this week with the death of my brother and haven't seen much news.

My ex-BIL was drafted during Vietnam.

He was seriously thinking of going to Canada but thought it over.

His father was a Colonel in the US Mariens and he knew if he didn't go in he would be disowned.

His dad made sure he never saw any action though.He was stationed in Iceland in the Drum and Bugle Corps.

My 3 male cousins all served in Vietnam, not sure if they were drafted or not but I tend to think they signed up.

One was a Sergent in the US Marines, now it's funny to see him wearing shorts with a Hawaiian shirt holding his little furry dog. Doesn't look so tough these days...

My father was drafted into WW11. He didn't want to go, he was more of a lover then a fighter.

He thought he would outsmart the system s he signed up to become a medic.

They had state side training for 18 months or longer and he thought maybe the war would blow over before he was shipped out.

No such luck, he went to the front lines in the S. Pacific!

He was a survivor though, might of been shot by his own troops if they knew what he was up to.

He knew before hand when they were having a skirmish the next day and made his plans.

He would go out early and find a nice tall tree.

He's climb up, tie himself in for the ride and action below him and shot himself up with some moriphine just in case his tree was blown up.

After the smoke cleared he would help those injured, he figured if they couldn't wait for help then they were goners anyways and he didn't want to be one himself.

He got through the war with nothing worst the PTSD, jungle rot on his feet and a nice Japanese sword,  picked up a Japanese wife while over in Japan post war and had a son with her... My unknown big bro.

My 2nd step-father was also in WW11 and also a medic.

He was in the US Navy as a corpsman, they went out on missions with the Marines.

Worked as support with the medical staff.

He was a 2 time POW, once in WW11 and again when he was called back to serve in Korea.

3 purple hearts and a Bronze star.

I held them in my hands, very strange really.He had lost one of his purple hearts somewhere and never applied for a replacement.

His stories would curl ones hair.

He was only 17 when he joined up. His first cousin was killed in Pearl Harbor and he wanted to serve to honor his cousin.

Guess he was what is called a ,"hero" but his PTSD was so bad it wasn't worth it.

I did see something about Russia calling in more people to fight.
I've been distracted this week with the death of my brother and haven't seen much news.
My ex-BIL was drafted during Vietnam.
He was seriously thinking of going to Canada but thought it over.
His father was a Colonel in the US Mariens and he knew if he didn't go in he would be disowned.
His dad made sure he never saw any action though.He was stationed in Iceland in the Drum and Bugle Corps.

My 3 male cousins all served in Vietnam, not sure if they were drafted or not but I tend to think they signed up.
One was a Sergent in the US Marines, now it's funny to see him wearing shorts with a Hawaiian shirt holding his little furry dog. Doesn't look so tough these days...

My father was drafted into WW11. He didn't want to go, he was more of a lover then a fighter.
He thought he would outsmart the system s he signed up to become a medic.
They had state side training for 18 months or longer and he thought maybe the war would blow over before he was shipped out.
No such luck, he went to the front lines in the S. Pacific!
He was a survivor though, might of been shot by his own troops if they knew what he was up to.
He knew before hand when they were having a skirmish the next day and made his plans.
He would go out early and find a nice tall tree.
He's climb up, tie himself in for the ride and action below him and shot himself up with some moriphine just in case his tree was blown up.
After the smoke cleared he would help those injured, he figured if they couldn't wait for help then they were goners anyways and he didn't want to be one himself.
He got through the war with nothing worst the PTSD, jungle rot on his feet and a nice Japanese sword, picked up a Japanese wife while over in Japan post war and had a son with her... My unknown big bro.
My 2nd step-father was also in WW11 and also a medic.
He was in the US Navy as a corpsman, they went out on missions with the Marines.
Worked as support with the medical staff.
He was a 2 time POW, once in WW11 and again when he was called back to serve in Korea.
3 purple hearts and a Bronze star.
I held them in my hands, very strange really.He had lost one of his purple hearts somewhere and never applied for a replacement.
His stories would curl ones hair.
He was only 17 when he joined up. His first cousin was killed in Pearl Harbor and he wanted to serve to honor his cousin.
Guess he was what is called a ,"hero" but his PTSD was so bad it wasn't worth it.
-@Marilyn Tassy

That's real duty.  I cannot imagine the hell of those places during battles.  PTSD indeed.  Being up a tree sounds bad.  They might think he was a sniper and that's a short career.

My colleague I mentioned was also "connected" and that's why he was in the USAF refuelling planes, well away from the front line.   He did tell me the VC infiltrated the base once but local patrols took them out and all he heard was a short amount of gunfire. 

But Drum and Bugle Corps? Never knew such a thing existed!   In the UK, military bands members usually have another job - medics. Obviously on Monday 19th, a lot of military bands were marching for the Queen.

We also once had an ex-marine from the USA who seemed to think the war was still on.  Barking orders and acting very unreasonably with civilians. I think he also had PTSD as he was unpredictable.  I think he was sent back home as he alienated everyone and was very "in your face".  He should have been in hospital but it seems he didn't get the help he needed before entering civilian life.

Drum and Bugel Corps, AKA, dad is connected corps!!

Once someone is a US Marine I think they can no longer fully function in society.

My ex- SIL was nice but hot dam... she was an ex US Army PM. My bro didn't dare cross her!!

She looked and acted like a smart lady but you cross her and she would turn animal on you.

For one of her birhtdays my bro bought her a small hand gun. It was in the early 1980's and it cost over $2,000.

She was more excited about that then if he had bought her one carat diamond earrrings.

60,500 foxes running wild in Hungary.

Some sort of rabies going round.

The vax will be released through the air...

God help us all!

60,500 foxes running wild in Hungary.
Some sort of rabies going round.
The vax will be released through the air...
God help us all!
-@Marilyn Tassy

Rabies is transmitted through saliva and open wounds.  Apparently "tame" foxes drooling on you and biting you is likely to need the rabies vaccine.  I've been bitten twice by dogs - once in Hungary and once in Asia.  Both needed the vaccine.  The second vaccine was much easier than the first as the technology had improved a lot.  No ill effects but definitely no messing around.  Straight to the hospital/clinic to get jabbed.  Not worth the risk.   That's even if they are dropping vaccine rabies bait around the forests by helicopter. 

On the other hand, maybe it'll be an interesting winter to have a minor zombie apocalypse.  Make a change as the weathers rubbish and it'll be boring over winter.  Be a change to the regular news.  I've got a bit of a thing about zombies and dystopian apocalyptic (in the movies anyway).

Drum and Bugel Corps, AKA, dad is connected corps!!
Once someone is a US Marine I think they can no longer fully function in society.
My ex- SIL was nice but hot dam... she was an ex US Army PM. My bro didn't dare cross her!!
She looked and acted like a smart lady but you cross her and she would turn animal on you.
For one of her birhtdays my bro bought her a small hand gun. It was in the early 1980's and it cost over $2,000.
She was more excited about that then if he had bought her one carat diamond earrings.
-@Marilyn Tassy

Yes, connections in high places means you don't have to serve - like George W Bush and Trump even.  Avoided the Viet Nam draft I believe on medical grounds.

Looks like Putin has caused large numbers of people to run away from his call up.  Queues to get across the Russia-Georgia border are large and the planes are all booked up.   Hardly surprising.  What else did Putin think would happen?

Ukraine war: Hungary wants to poll citizens on support for EU's sanctions on Russia

Kind of interesting this is being brought up now with the sham referenda going on in Eastern Ukraine.

If their sham national consultation shows no support for sanctions, it might be taken as another step closer to HUexit. OV will get what he wants, total control and no oversight of the kelptocracy. It's Lukashenko 2.0.

My internet keeps going off,

About 6 times in one hour!

Must be Putins fault!

I got a couple messages today from family members.

It's all so very strange.

My brother was creamated this week and now everyone is planning a huge memorial serivce for him in the spring.

He was a simple person and i"m a bit surprized he asked for this big send off.

It's his wish to have a Native American ceremony.

Everyone will meet up in New Mexico and my cousin will do the ceremony.

This cousin studied for 10 years under the supervision of a Shaman when he lived on a reservation for a decade on the east coast of the US.

They are searching out the right flute players, drummers and dancers.

No holds barred .

I really am not sure I will attend or not, have to really think it over.

Not only is it far off from Hungary but I am not sure I wish to take part in a pagan ceremony.

My brother was not Christain and it never was an issue with me before.

Now that I'm being asked to attetend a pagan ritual it is something I must think over.

I can not stand hypocrates and I don't want to be one.

We are only 1/8th native and I never knew my brother was even slightly into the culture.

It might be the last time all of our family members on my mother's side meet in this lifetime so seeing them all would be interesting.

I'm not sure sure I'd enjoy chanting and dancing around a fire or whatever is planed.

I suppose i have time to think it all over before spring.

It's not about me but my personal convictions.

Why can't we just say some personal prayers and perhaps light a candle or two?

When my sister passed back in 1990 or 91, I was asked to fly in from NM to Ca. for her memorial.

It was so none tradtional it's not even funny.

Her two Lesbian friends had it held at their home.( Very nice of them, they had no control over the guests however)

Abut 50 to 60 people attended.

My half bro and sis were guests and gave me the low down.

I'm glad I didn't go because I would of punched a few people out, like her boyfriend for one!

They had rock music playing, some couple was having sex in the bathroom, someone else was snorting coke and a fight broke

out!!

I can just imagine something just as wild happening out in the high desert knowing my family...

My internet keeps going off,
About 6 times in one hour!
Must be Putins fault!
-@Marilyn Tassy

Everything is Putin's fault. 

This morning, I had to fix the car headlight. The bulb needed replacing. Russian involvement obviously! Russian voodoo!

BTW, we had an electricity bill yesterday for about 5 weeks worth. It's DOUBLE what it was the month before.

That's definitely Putin's fault.

We are all paid up until next year with our bills, but they had shot up, dreading next years. But than to the Austrian gov, we all got €500 and children got €250. https://www.klimabonus.gv.at/en

Will get the same next year, how much will depend on which state you live in.

We are all paid up until next year with our bills, but they had shot up, dreading next years. But than to the Austrian gov, we all got €500 and children got €250. https://www.klimabonus.gv.at/en
Will get the same next year, how much will depend on which state you live in.
-@SimCityAT

We've had no cash that I know about.  Pretty reasonable amounts in subsidy from AT and could make a difference. I don't know what people will do here - the minimum salary workers will be decimated. At Fluffy Towers, we can cover the doubling and possibly with a bit of work a tripling. Quadrupling would give me kittens. And we're not even into real winter yet. So much for OV protecting the HU people. Pfff.....

Yesterday I spoke to a friend who lives on a small tropical island (literally) and all their energy comes from diesel generators. Diesel is imported and there's a shortage. Electricity has gone from $150 a month to $500 and no change in salaries. No way that can continue. He said he's seriously considering leaving to work in another country.

Another guy I know - also on a tropical and very hilly island covered in rain forest - are also on diesel. Previously on that island, they had a hydro plant but it was blown up during WW2 and not rebuilt.  The terrain is very suitable for a hydro plant but the locals are too busy squabbling amongst themselves to have a coherent plan. They could easily power the entire place from a couple of windmills and a hydro plant.  Case of PPP - P*** Poor Planning.

I am wondering here in HU if electric cars are going to get significantly cheaper suddenly and there will be a glut in the market - too expensive to charge up!

https://dailynewshungary.com/hungary-wi … rican-aid/

Not sure if you saw this -- The US giving military aid (billions of dollars) to countries on the borders of Ukraine and might be impacted....but not Hungary or Serbia -- they get nothing -- as the administration sees them as too close to Putin.

https://dailynewshungary.com/hungary-wi … rican-aid/
Not sure if you saw this -- The US giving military aid (billions of dollars) to countries on the borders of Ukraine and might be impacted....but not Hungary or Serbia -- they get nothing -- as the administration sees them as too close to Putin.
-@Vicces1

No, I didn't see that.  It was good to read it and particularly to see that the US see the HU government as run by a bunch of Putin apologists and lackeys.

This will inevitably spill over post-conflict.  HU and Serbia will get nothing.   They will be specifically excluded from reconstruction contracts.

How they can always bet on the wrong horse, I do not know!