Absolutely Anything Else

CSTO is falling to pieces.

Since the Russians did nothing to stop Azerbaijan prompted by Turkey invading the previously Armenian administered territory of Nagorno-Karabakh. It's not going to end well. I cannot see Armenia remaining in the CSTO. On the upside (for Russia), Kazakhstan's President does owe Russia for quelling the recent civil unrest. But that's about it.

Lukashenko thinks it means something to be in a Union with Russia but it just means being subjugated to Putin's will. If Luka turned against PU, he would fall out of a window and Belarus would be a Russian province. PU's plan to resurrect the Soviet Union means the countries in CSTO bend to PU's will. I don't think they want that - they've been independent for 30 years.

More locally, no-one cares if HU participates or not in a wider conflict (god forbid), nor in any plans thereafter. I doubt the HU military's abilities anyway. It's military is just too small to make any real difference. In any case, if there was a land based assistance by NATO into Ukraine, it would via Poland. I don't think any of the current borders would make any difference. I suspect if NATO was involved, it would be mainly air power. UKR has it pretty much sown up militarily on the ground.

An interesting aspect would be Sweden and Finland. Sweden are hotshots on military gear and Finland has a very extensive territorial army. They would need to be mobilised if Russia decided to make another mistake invading Finland (again). Kalingrad would be lost to Russia within days or at least, most of it's ability to mobilise for war would be destroyed. The Baltics would help to reinforce the Suwałki gap and their borders with Russia.

Moldova is quite in a pickle. Transnistria is held by about 1500 locally recruited Russian speaker soldiers. They seem to be completely cut off from Russia. Maybe it will force the separatists to the negotiating table. Speculating even further into the future, I could see a scenario where Ukraine invades Transnistria to remove any Russian threat from there. The place is full of Ukrainians so it could happen with local support. Maybe even Romania gets involved as peacekeepers, with the region returning to Moldova after a time. I suppose many Russians there would choose to leave for Russia.

My reasoning on generations to change Russia is based on knowledge of acceptance of societal change. Not media BS.
-@fluffy2560

The Caucasus is somewhat similar to the Balcans: a powder keg and with folks who can hate and wage war on an instant also VERY vengeancefull. Either cool/ friendly or "you will die" enemy style.

Lukashenko tried to maintain close relationship with Russia, and in the meantime wink to the western direction. Tried to upkeep a balance, and act as a mediator between opposing sides while upkeep rulership as the "strongman of Belarus".

Get an orange revulution/ insurgency attemp insted from the west side, so get out of option only Russia remained.

" PU's plan to resurrect the Soviet Union"

Certainly Russia have a major interest to have close relations and some level of cooperation with CIS countries. It is a natural sphere of influence. At the bare minimum: not to be sorrunded by enemies/ hostile proxies.

" I doubt the HU military's abilities anyway."

It has the ability to cc. delay an attack from Transcarpathia by a few hours before the troops reach the Balaton. If would witstand any attack for days that would be called miracle.

The army is not a force to note.

But after the army gets defeated certain movements and individuals would give a hell of for the occupation forces.

If NATO troops would be involved in Ukraine that most likely would lead ww3.

Except maybe the strange proposition from Poland, which probably occupy the western part of Ukraine which historically was Polish territory: officially put under it's protectorate as some sort of autonomus region with Lemberg as local administration centre.

Scandinavia is long since fallen: lost roots and society.

It is not the Viking Age, nor the folks of ww2, Mannerheim would cry if would seen the present.

For what should they fight for? More feminists/ quotas, more african gangs in Malmo, more antifa terrorist groups, more chemically castrated transgender kids, more returning ISIS members?

But this part:

"My reasoning on generations to change Russia is based on knowledge of acceptance of societal change. "

I don't understand what do you try to say.

But this part:
"My reasoning on generations to change Russia is based on knowledge of acceptance of societal change. "
-@sjbabilon5

If someone wants to change the population's mindset and fundamental belief system, it will take years. This is a societal change.  The Russian population has been assailed by Putinesque propaganda for at least 10+ years.  The core demographic of average Russian Putin supporters in say, 50+ age group, only listens to Russian TV and have no knowledge from external trustworthy viewpoints. They remember the "good ol' times" of the USSR.  They form these long term views, especially helped by the daft statements made even today by Putin, and there's no healthy scepticism to counter it. To change that thinking, will take a generation. At least. In one way it's kind of interesting as over 1M Russians have left for other countries to avoid being drafted to fight in Ukraine - they will have a different viewpoint if they can read a free press. So really Putin is creating a group will eventually be a political force inside the country and may challenge him.  I suppose he thinks it worthwhile. 

The same kind of process is going on here with OV. He acquires all media to control the narrative, lowers education standards, then relentlessly bombards people with propaganda about any kind of enemy one might imagine (Soros, EU, judges, teachers, LGBTQI+ folk, refugees, Muslims, anyone), produces inflammatory statements to rile the population into a frenzy, carry out laughably worded referendums about this, that, and the other in order to incrementally change people's belief system. In fact, Hungary is looking much like Russia was 10 years ago.

I'm a child of the Cold War. it's a bit like the Hearts and Minds campaigns, most notably I remember it from the Viet Nam war.

It's worth thinking about how - for example - Trump managed to gain power. And how people still buy into the MAGA nonsense he spouted and the likes of Gaetz, MTG, McCarthy and Co still seem to believe. 

According to Wikipedia, PressTV broadcasts in Iran and has an international arm of the same name. Al-Jazeera has some reasonable reporting and I've seen bits of it.

Personally I don't really watch broadcast TV news - takes too long. I'm usually looking at Internet based BBC and Euronews. I listen to the radio far more as I can do it while I'm working. I dip in other sites like The Economist and I view some of their Zoom briefings, particularly about Ukraine. They have quality journalists. It's not some tabloid gutter press.

A free press is a cornerstone of democracy. It's part of accountability. But part of that lately in the new media world is understanding what could be fake news or misinformation. I pretty sure the BBC and Euronews report correctly and don't embellish. They have been known to misreport and they've been caught. But generally it's proper journalism. Healthy cynicism doesn't go amiss.

-@fluffy2560

What I often appreciate about Al-Jazeera hat they go after some really risky on-site reports.
Like not that usual to have reports with cartels in their strongholds, or on-site war reports in the middle east, and we agree on: notable documentaries in various topics.

Sure will not agreee on what is considered controlled narrative/ propaganda.
Actually it seems like a 180 degree opposite.

For me medias, like: Euronews, CNN, NYT, The Guardian, BBC, Deutsche Welle, and similars are just worth to check out time to time to get updated on things like:

what are the plans of the estabilisment, what do they prepare for (upcoming regime change plans, prepared insurgencies in countries, civil wars, war preparations),
what narrative they try to push and why,
learn new psyops/ perception management tactics
updated on existing hostile international/ non-govermental organisations (what they praise)
get hints on questions they are silent about/ censor (worth to check out those)

So as for me I do refuse to live in a buble and regulary check out the different interests and goals, different sides and narratives.

Also what determined by them/ fact checkers as "fake news" also worth to check out.
Or like in regard with the USA: if an organization is not on the list of Southern Poverty Law Center that is most likely worthless.
More profit from enemies than from best friends/ allies.
-@sjbabilon5

Are you sure you're not living in a bubble buying into Trump/Putin/Orban/Erdogan type narratives?

From here, your posts look very troll like, intended to stir it up. Might be my imagination. I guess my views are very different to yours.

My wife's cousin says the same kind of things as yourself. All he's done is isolate himself as he looks like a nutter.  We're beginning to think he's showing evidence of being in a cult and needs deradicalisation.

I know about the SPLC too.  They have done good work. But they've also made mistakes. But meh, I once worked at a company whose sole purposes was to sue the government and competitors. They seemed to make money at it.  Different industry but same kinds of outcomes. It was a kind of public accountability.

In the interest of balance in this thread, what's your view on pancakes?

I think those cheese cakes that did me in were called kinshes?
The cakes must of been sitting too long or it was the summer heat that turned them bad.
I lived in Flatbush NYC for over 3 months in a predominnantly Jewish neighborhood and thought all the local foods were rather tasty.Deli heaven!
Just takes one bad meal to ruin things though.
My mother used to make potatoe pancakes once in awhile.
My slavic father taught her I think.
She never made them as often as we liked but I understand why not.
She would hand grate each potaote which seemed to take forever. Cooking one or two at a time on the stove for 6 people.
The days before food processors.
Poor mom, she literally was slaving away at the stove half the day.
When we got older she would put one of us on ,"potatoe grating" duty.
-@Marilyn Tassy

Potato pancakes? Rather nice sounding. I know about that grating duty for some other Hungarian thing we have here sometimes.

But aren't we getting into langos territory? On Pancake Day?

I must say I'm rather taken with langos, especially sour cream and cheese topping versions.

Just a big flat donut really.

One of the things I like to have when down in Balaton.
-@fluffy2560

Potatoe pancakes are not as doughy as langos .

I like langos with cabbage inside, hard to find that version any longer.

Besides my husband remembers when a langos cost 5 forints or maybe it was 2 forints.

He refuses to pay 600 or more for what he can make at home.

It was easy to make the dough when I had access to a bread machine. It did all the heavy work for us.

We really don't eat such foods these days. Too heavy for our old digestions.

This morning for some reason I was thinking of visiting Zsa-Zsa's grave.

I used to enjoy walking in old graveyards and looking at the graves...

My husband has no interest in seeing a graveyard, he jokes he will be seeing one soon enough!

We got to tlaking and he told me again a story I had totally forgotten.

It's just another strange tale.

Years ago when we had a small machine shop my husband hired a helper for his shop.

It was a Hungarian guy with a nickname of ,Beltazar, like somehting out of a horror movie.

My husband said he looked the part, super tall with missing and twisted teeth.

Nice enough guy.

They man had quit his job because his boss was ,"crazy" as he said.

He had worked for Zsa-Zsa in Ca.

His number one job was to follow behind her car with a undercover ambulance!!!

She had her own amublance which followed her wherever she went!

The guy had to be a go for when she was at home. Helping around her mansion doing odd jobs.

No wonder she lived to a ripe old age, she wasn't taking any chances.

But this part:
-@sjbabilon5

If someone wants to change the population's mindset and fundamental belief system, it will take years. This is a societal change. The Russian population has been assailed by Putinesque propaganda for at least 10+ years. The core demographic of average Russian Putin supporters in say, 50+ age group, only listens to Russian TV and have no knowledge from external trustworthy viewpoints. They remember the "good ol' times" of the USSR. They form these long term views, especially helped by the daft statements made even today by Putin, and there's no healthy scepticism to counter it. To change that thinking, will take a generation. At least. In one way it's kind of interesting as over 1M Russians have left for other countries to avoid being drafted to fight in Ukraine - they will have a different viewpoint if they can read a free press. So really Putin is creating a group will eventually be a political force inside the country and may challenge him. I suppose he thinks it worthwhile.

The same kind of process is going on here with OV. He acquires all media to control the narrative, lowers education standards, then relentlessly bombards people with propaganda about any kind of enemy one might imagine (Soros, EU, judges, teachers, LGBTQI+ folk, refugees, Muslims, anyone), produces inflammatory statements to rile the population into a frenzy, carry out laughably worded referendums about this, that, and the other in order to incrementally change people's belief system. In fact, Hungary is looking much like Russia was 10 years ago.

I'm a child of the Cold War. it's a bit like the Hearts and Minds campaigns, most notably I remember it from the Viet Nam war.

It's worth thinking about how - for example - Trump managed to gain power. And how people still buy into the MAGA nonsense he spouted and the likes of Gaetz, MTG, McCarthy and Co still seem to believe.
-@fluffy2560

Thanks for explaining.

"If someone wants to change the population's mindset and fundamental belief system"

IF WANTS TO

Even if all measures taken and executed on a professional level it is difficult, costly and no guarantees of success.

So instead of try to change what exist in some countries they follow a different approach: listen.

If population wants to ban for example gay propaganda: government follows suit and does that.

In many cases this is what happens in East Europe in the recent 10 - 20 years.

Which is the total opposite what happens on the west.

No one cares what people want (or even biology facts): they made media stunts + other "change the population's mindset and fundamental belief system" (aka: psyops, perception management) with more or less results, then make a policy over the head of the population -> enforce the population to follow that (cc. any so called "progressive" stuff).

East Europe: Tradition Law (what people want/ most of them do anyway) + elements of Common Law

West Europe: Civil Law System (what decision makers want)

---

In Russia: yes among the 50+ there are more supporters.

But no propaganda capable to change their experiences. Who is now 50+ lived as adult and felt in own skin the mad 1990's . Lived in the collapse, in the chaos, in the failed attempt of democracy and wild capitalism.  Putin get rid of that so off course that age groups supports him far more.

Young ones lack of that experience. They became adults in a different time. Many of them taken order, safety, relative stability as granted. So when something like the present situation with Ukraine comes off course over a million choose to flee. Also angry on the "bad daddy".

carry out laughably worded referendums

Sure: put questions up to vote when they know exactly what the answer will be by the overwhelming majority of people (because BEFORE they start a referendum LISTEN).

Referendums, questions are just proof: what people want.

Also a showcase for the ultraliberal minority: they are a minority no matter how loud, or how much money they get from abroad. Also a proof internationally: this is what the wast majority of HUngarian people want.

In 2005 French European Constitution referendum:

People said no.

So next time there was no referendum, but decision makers said yes over the head of the people at 13 December 2007.

Are you sure you're not living in a bubble buying into Trump/Putin/Orban/Erdogan type narratives?

Yes I am sure.

1. I check out regulary what the enemy says (plans, present narrative, etc...)
  2. Resistent to propaganda (would be TLDR to explain) from any side
  3. Disagree with many things what the mentioned narratives say, also disagree with some of the fundational/ core principes they advocate for
  4. Have informatrions from different origins (Often from places what both side in unity wish to supress/ censor.) Like truth is hardly between what CNN or Fox News say as in many cases they are just the different side of the same coin.

So as process goes:

I have a critical thinking and selective in informations.

There is no "buying into" narratives. Either a narrative in line with mine (direction mostly, VERY rarily in level): then we agree (more or less). If not: we disagree and they cannot push that down on my throat no matter what.

So "Trump/Putin/Orban/Erdogan type narratives? " can be in line with mine (or not).

But for sure they cannot decide what mine is, nor can limit to listen just theirs.

---

Slight offtopic:

For many years I had no religion. Then I find one which is in line (mostly) with my: attitude, opinions, ethic, way of life, with what I stand for/ do anyway -> so I choose that.

That is how it goes not the other way around.

Religion did not set the rules what I follow, or how do I live life.

I guess my views are very different to yours.

Certainly, in many questions up to 170 -180 degree.

Medias:

You: XY medias are reliable, trustworthy, say the truth.

Me: Those ones have a certain narrative/ agenda: cc. western propaganda, or even voice of the enemy

BUT: I check out/ get updated those as well (interested what they want to push/ why).

You: XY medias are Putin, OV, Trump, etc... propoganda machines, tell lies and BS, time wasting even to check out them in dept, disregard as non-reliable

Me: Thoose have a narrative/ agenda: in 20-50% I can agree, and in many regard they are neutral - worth to check out

Who is the enemy?

You: EU, NATO, etc western good.

Me: EU is the enemy. And no not in tilk-talk softcore, diplomatic OV way, I would prefer what the Mongols did with Nishapur.

You: Russia is an enemy, ruled by a dictator.

Me: Russia is one of the last (crumbling) fortress of normality under siege by madness.

You: USA under Trump - bad, nonsense, need to change, etc...

Me: USA under Trump - more or less neutral, had strange directions but at least tried to concentrate on fixing internal matters instead to police the planet/ start new wars (but mostly failed in the try)

You: USA under present administration - finaly, somehow better

Me: USA under present administration - Homo-Globo World Empire of Wokeistan (The Fed. Gov. . But states like Florida/ Texas are better.)

I know about the SPLC too. They have done good work.

Sure. Regulary listing all the possible allies. At least worth to check out what they present as bad.

-@fluffy2560

Actually I am not a fan of pancakes.

Eat in every 2-3 years once and only when someone makes much and invite to (so never made or buy).

But at monday I made Hazelnut Cake. 1f60b.svg

Because I was too tired to fill it with proper cream end up filled with Nutella.

But that was good too.

Without cream it would be a bit dry (Hazelnut in the cake batter.)

-@fluffy2560

Eat in every 2-3 years once and only when someone makes much and invite to (so never made or buy).

Because I was too tired to fill it with proper cream end up filled with Nutella.
But that was good too.
-@sjbabilon5

Ah, more important matters.

You mean, dairy cream?  Whisked?

I'm a fan of marscapone myself.  It's rather scrumptious.

-@fluffy2560

But that was good too.
-@sjbabilon5

Ah, more important matters.

You mean, dairy cream? Whisked?

I'm a fan of marscapone myself. It's rather scrumptious.
-@fluffy2560

Yes, originaly planned dairy based with butter + crystal vaniline, maybe pudding.

I don't use margarine regulary, prefer butter, except for cocconut rolls/ balls where for budget reasons sometimes do.

Potato pancakes are not as doughy as langos .
Besides my husband remembers when a langos cost 5 forints or maybe it was 2 forints.
It was easy to make the dough when I had access to a bread machine. It did all the heavy work for us.

My husband has no interest in seeing a graveyard, he jokes he will be seeing one soon enough!
Years ago when we had a small machine shop my husband hired a helper for his shop.
It was a Hungarian guy with a nickname of ,Beltazar, like somehting out of a horror movie.
Nice enough guy.
The guy had to be a go for when she was at home. Helping around her mansion doing odd jobs.
-@Marilyn Tassy

I am not sure I could take cabbage langos.  I could see different fillings like maybe bacon or goulash, curry or something similar.  I would think a sweet version could work - perhaps some cherries with it folded over like a calzone.

Hmmm....maybe I should do some experiments!

Is Zsa-Zsa buried here in HU?  I never knew that.  Could be worth a look. I wonder where Tony Curtis is?  Anyway, she sounds like a nutcase with her secret ambulance.  Mrs F always thought she was a self publicist and ego maniac.

I also like walking in the cemeteries.  In the UK, we have a cemetery which contains Karl Marx - Highgate Cemetery in London.   Some of those mausoleums are very ornate and elaborate but like the occupants, in a state of decay. 

Marx's grave is often visited by people interested to see his final resting place. A lot of his relatives are in there too.  But not Groucho and the rest of the Marx brothers.   

There are many famous people in Highgate - like George Michael, Bob Hoskins and others.

It's a nature reserve as well.  One could easily spend an afternoon there - it's very quiet and really quite serene.

Yes, originally planned dairy based with butter + crystal vaniline, maybe pudding.

I don't use margarine regularly, prefer butter, except for coconut rolls/ balls where for budget reasons sometimes do.
-@sjbabilon5

Yes, butter is good but for cakes, margarine is just fine. 

I made some "scones" about a week ago with margarine.  I put them in the freezer and ate the last ones today.  It was a bit of experiment on fusion cooking (in a minor way). I ate them sliced in two with fruits of the forest jam and marscapone.  Love that stuff.

Mrs F made some Pogácsa a while back and I suggested we turn the next batch into scone like versions with raisins (anything with those is good).  As I made them, they didn't come out that well.  I would have preferred them to have risen more.  There seems to be a problem with yeast at the moment. It doesn't seem to do anything.  I left the dough to rise and it did nothing.  Very odd.  Might as well just left it out.

We're doing other fusion things recently - marrying Hungarian things with British things.  Mrs F has taken Marmite to work to show coworkers the marvels of that product on nicely toasted fresh Hungarian bread. This has snowballed now into HP sauce with strong cheddar cheese on large cheesey pogacsas.

I am seriously considering these variations on langos.  Maybe having it like a kebab rather than pita bread, use langos instead, perhaps using some herbs and spices in the dough. I was thinking it could work nicely with rosemary, tarragon, etc.

Yes I am sure.

I check out regulary what the enemy says (plans, present narrative, etc...)
Resistent to propaganda (would be TLDR to explain) from any side
Disagree with many things what the mentioned narratives say, also disagree with some of the fundational/ core principes they advocate for
Have informatrions from different origins (Often from places what both side in unity wish to supress/ censor.) Like truth is hardly between what CNN or Fox News say as in many cases they are just the different side of the same coin.

So as process goes:
I have a critical thinking and selective in informations.
There is no "buying into" narratives. Either a narrative in line with mine (direction mostly, VERY rarily in level): then we agree (more or less). If not: we disagree and they cannot push that down on my throat no matter what.

So "Trump/Putin/Orban/Erdogan type narratives? " can be in line with mine (or not).
But for sure they cannot decide what mine is, nor can limit to listen just theirs.
---
Slight offtopic:
For many years I had no religion. Then I find one which is in line (mostly) with my: attitude, opinions, ethic, way of life, with what I stand for/ do anyway -> so I choose that.
That is how it goes not the other way around.
Religion did not set the rules what I follow, or how do I live life.

I guess my views are very different to yours.

Certainly, in many questions up to 170 -180 degree.

Medias:
You: XY medias are reliable, trustworthy, say the truth.
Me: Those ones have a certain narrative/ agenda: cc. western propaganda, or even voice of the enemy
BUT: I check out/ get updated those as well (interested what they want to push/ why).
You: XY medias are Putin, OV, Trump, etc... propoganda machines, tell lies and BS, time wasting even to check out them in dept, disregard as non-reliable
Me: Thoose have a narrative/ agenda: in 20-50% I can agree, and in many regard they are neutral - worth to check out

Who is the enemy?
You: EU, NATO, etc western good.
Me: EU is the enemy. And no not in tilk-talk softcore, diplomatic OV way, I would prefer what the Mongols did with Nishapur.
You: Russia is an enemy, ruled by a dictator.
Me: Russia is one of the last (crumbling) fortress of normality under siege by madness.
You: USA under Trump - bad, nonsense, need to change, etc...
Me: USA under Trump - more or less neutral, had strange directions but at least tried to concentrate on fixing internal matters instead to police the planet/ start new wars (but mostly failed in the try)
You: USA under present administration - finaly, somehow better
Me: USA under present administration - Homo-Globo World Empire of Wokeistan (The Fed. Gov. . But states like Florida/ Texas are better.)

I know about the SPLC too. They have done good work.

Sure. Regulary listing all the possible allies. At least worth to check out what they present as bad.

Well, obviously I don't agree with  the characterisation of me and others in those terms. 

Better to leave it there and  stick to discussions about pancakes and more trivial matters.

Potato pancakes are not as doughy as langos .

Nice enough guy.
-@Marilyn Tassy

I am not sure I could take cabbage langos. I could see different fillings like maybe bacon or goulash, curry or something similar. I would think a sweet version could work - perhaps some cherries with it folded over like a calzone.

Hmmm....maybe I should do some experiments!

Is Zsa-Zsa buried here in HU? I never knew that. Could be worth a look. I wonder where Tony Curtis is? Anyway, she sounds like a nutcase with her secret ambulance. Mrs F always thought she was a self publicist and ego maniac.

I also like walking in the cemeteries. In the UK, we have a cemetery which contains Karl Marx - Highgate Cemetery in London.  Some of those mausoleums are very ornate and elaborate but like the occupants, in a state of decay.

Marx's grave is often visited by people interested to see his final resting place. A lot of his relatives are in there too. But not Groucho and the rest of the Marx brothers. 

There are many famous people in Highgate - like George Michael, Bob Hoskins and others.

It's a nature reserve as well. One could easily spend an afternoon there - it's very quiet and really quite serene.
-@fluffy2560

Yes, Zsa-Zsa is buried here in Hungary.

The one on Fumui st.

Once as a child my family visited the mausoleum in the Hollywood area. I have for the moment forgot the name of the place.

Many movie stars are buried in the crypts and on the grounds.

Well, I wandered of by myslef and scared myself half to death. Must of been 9 years old at the time.

Nothing but wall to wall crypts and flowers all over.

I do remember seeing Rudolf Valentinos resting place.

I think the media made a bigger deal out of Zsa-Zsa and her sisters then anyone in Hungary ever did.

They left before Hungary was communist and lived the high life in the states.

Not really anything to do with the everyday struggles of regualr Hungarians in Hungary.

My husband said she seemed to overdo the accent as well as everything else she did.

Darling...I suppose she made that word a thing in the gay community. So over the top with everything she did.

The have a tourist attraction in Hollywood called, "Hollywood Forever". They take people to the graves of film stars.

Forest Lawn, yes that's the place we visited when I was a child.

My SIL put her parents there, sort of a pricey piece of real estate...

I worked with a 19 year old college student when I was 18-19.

She was killed at work, slammed by a car into a brick wall and died instantly.

We were car-hops, she had a summer gig to help pay for her college.An only child.

Some old couple brought seperate cars to our place of business.

In the parking lot just behind a fence where we worked outside serving food to people in the cars they made a mess.

They backed into each other when leaving! Their bumpers were stuck so she tried to unhindge them.

The silly old women gunned the gas petal and went through the fence and across the lot and hit that 19 year old while she was bussing trays into the brick building where the used trays were placed. Thankfully she never saw it coming.

My Hungarian friend was close to that girl and saw her get hit. She was a mess and so upset.

We closed the restaurant for the girls funeral and there must of been at least 100 people there at Forest Lawn for her funeral.

I hope that old women lost her right to drive, it's like she didn't know where the brakes were.

Yes, Zsa-Zsa is buried here in Hungary.
The one on Fumui st.
Once as a child my family visited the mausoleum in the Hollywood area. I have for the moment forgot the name of the place.
Many movie stars are buried in the crypts and on the grounds.
Well, I wandered of by myslef and scared myself half to death. Must of been 9 years old at the time.
Nothing but wall to wall crypts and flowers all over.
I do remember seeing Rudolf Valentinos resting place.
I think the media made a bigger deal out of Zsa-Zsa and her sisters then anyone in Hungary ever did.
They left before Hungary was communist and lived the high life in the states.
Not really anything to do with the everyday struggles of regualr Hungarians in Hungary.
My husband said she seemed to overdo the accent as well as everything else she did.
Darling...I suppose she made that word a thing in the gay community. So over the top with everything she did.
The have a tourist attraction in Hollywood called, "Hollywood Forever". They take people to the graves of film stars.
Forest Lawn, yes that's the place we visited when I was a child.
My SIL put her parents there, sort of a pricey piece of real estate...
I worked with a 19 year old college student when I was 18-19.
She was killed at work, slammed by a car into a brick wall and died instantly.
We were car-hops, she had a summer gig to help pay for her college.An only child.
Some old couple brought seperate cars to our place of business.
In the parking lot just behind a fence where we worked outside serving food to people in the cars they made a mess.
They backed into each other when leaving! Their bumpers were stuck so she tried to unhindge them.
The silly old women gunned the gas petal and went through the fence and across the lot and hit that 19 year old while she was bussing trays into the brick building where the used trays were placed. Thankfully she never saw it coming.
My Hungarian friend was close to that girl and saw her get hit. She was a mess and so upset.
We closed the restaurant for the girls funeral and there must of been at least 100 people there at Forest Lawn for her funeral.
I hope that old women lost her right to drive, it's like she didn't know where the brakes were.
-@Marilyn Tassy

I might mention it to Mrs F. But could we take the dog to the cemetery? If we go walking, we always have to take the dog. Almost feel guilty about not taking the dog if we are walking anywhere. It's like a ritual.  Here, in our village, no dogs allowed in the cemetery. I do however cycle through it sometimes.

I've heard about Forest Lawn. A lot of these names come up in movies and online and we recognise them but have no idea where they are really or what they look like in real life. Like Arlington. Heard of it, seen it on TV, know nothing more other than a military cemetery.

One guy I knew from school crashed his moped into the back of a bus that had broken down under a bridge. It was becoming dark and the bus had no lights. He ran straight in the back of it. I guess he was about 16. I didn't know him that well.  But to be killed for no reason in a car park. Terrible waste.

Yes, it's terribly sad when anyone passes but when one is young it seems like such a waste.

I was in school with a very nice Italian /American boy from age 10 to 12.

He was a rare sort of boy for that age, actually talked with girls and was very nice .

He sat next to me when we were 12 in our typing class.

He wasn't at school one day and the PA system announced his death to the school.

That weekend he and a friend were walking in his neighobrhod on the sidewalk when a drunk women jumped the curb and killed him. His friend was not injured at all.

I may of even had a slight crush on him because he was so nice.

I still think about him about all these years.

We attended his funeral, I think his was the first funeral I ever went to.

My brother had a little playmate when they were 6 years old.

The boy lived on our st. but at the far end from our home.

My mother used to take them between homes to play.

The boy hadn't been around for a bit so my mother went to his home to ask about him. His mother fell into my mom's arm crying her eyes out. He had been killed the week before in front of their house.

He had one of those low riding bikes and had pulled into the st. in front of a car by accident.

I think they moved away after that. I know I would move.

What's even a bit worst is my HS friend from Texas lived in Ca. with her father. Her parents divorced and he left Texas after he killed her 3 year old brother when he backed his car up and hit the boy on his bicycle. How can one ever get over doing that?

My vivacious second cousin just posted a photo of herself in a hospital bed in Ca. All she wrote was that she survied a wild car accidnet. I'm waiting to hear from my cousin about what happened.

skynews-earthquake-south-wales_6069215.p

Earthquake felt in South Wales as midnight tremor makes houses and walls shake

-@SimCityAT

I heard about that on the radio.  About 3.8 on the scale and a depth of 2km.

Apparently Wales is a bit of a earthquake hot spot.  Maybe it's a mining thing.

Not sure anyone could classify it as the California of the UK though.

At least no-one reported hurt.

It happened up in the Brecon Beacons, not many people live up there except some sheep and the military doing their walk-about.

It happened up in the Brecon Beacons, not many people live up there except some sheep and the military doing their walk-about.
-@Cynic

Closer to Merthyr Tydfil which is a bit further from the Beacons and the Range where they do Military exercises.

-@SimCityAT

I heard about that on the radio. About 3.8 on the scale and a depth of 2km.

Apparently Wales is a bit of a earthquake hot spot. Maybe it's a mining thing.

-@fluffy2560

Like us they have 1000 a year, but have a major one each year. No one hurt physicly but maybe mentaly if it shook up some old folk as it was at Midnight.

Talking to my old man on the phone earlier, now he is 82. He was on form today. His response was to my question"Everything OK?"

Was "Well thats was the first time the bed moved in years"

-@SimCityAT

I heard about that on the radio. About 3.8 on the scale and a depth of 2km.

Apparently Wales is a bit of a earthquake hot spot. Maybe it's a mining thing.

-@fluffy2560

Like us they have 1000 a year, but have a major one each year. No one hurt physically but maybe mentally if it shook up some old folk as it was at Midnight.
-@SimCityAT

I was in small earthquakes a couple of times and it was very disorienting.  I wasn't sure what was happening.

But anyway, I thought old folk went to bed at 9pm with cocoa.  They should have slept through it.

Maybe the rumbling (if any) was thought to be perhaps their partner's snoring.

Disturbingly, our dog has started snoring and grunting while asleep.  Probably dreaming.

With my dad, it all depends. He does like to sleep in these days. But he is Mayor so has a lot of fuctions to go to and he is own his own.

He does get up early midweek and thats when his cleaner comes. Im sure he isn't bothered when the gardners comes.

With my dad, it all depends. He does like to sleep in these days. But he is Mayor so has a lot of fuctions to go to and he is own his own.
He does get up early midweek and thats when his cleaner comes. Im sure he isn't bothered when the gardners comes.
-@SimCityAT

My Dad has helpers (I wouldn't call them carers) and he sometimes gets caught out in his birthday suit.  He gets up about 10am.  But that's after a few false starts at going to bed, sleeping and getting up again.

Being caught starkers does not really matter to a 98 year old.  He's past caring.   The helpers who are all late 50s, are very polite and suggest putting some clothes on.

Talking to my old man on the phone earlier, now he is 82. He was on form today. His response was to my question"Everything OK?"
Was "Well thats was the first time the bed moved in years"
-@SimCityAT

:):)

I am seriously considering these variations on langos. Maybe having it like a kebab rather than pita bread, use langos instead, perhaps using some herbs and spices in the dough. I was thinking it could work nicely with rosemary, tarragon, etc.
-@fluffy2560

A funny story:

One of my acquaintance anno hosted some Italian guys at Hungary.

In the end he did ask for feedback.

The Italians said: all was good, except the pizza.

Guy did not understand that at first: there were no pizza at all.  Then relized: oh, but there was LÁNGOS. Ok, sure, when someone expects pizza, and eats langos as pizza... 1f601.svg

I am seriously considering these variations on langos. Maybe having it like a kebab rather than pita bread, use langos instead, perhaps using some herbs and spices in the dough. I was thinking it could work nicely with rosemary, tarragon, etc.
-@fluffy2560

A funny story:
One of my acquaintance anno hosted some Italian guys at Hungary.
In the end he did ask for feedback.
The Italians said: all was good, except the pizza.

Guy did not understand that at first: there were no pizza at all. Then relized: oh, but there was LÁNGOS. Ok, sure, when someone expects pizza, and eats langos as pizza... 1f601.svg
-@sjbabilon5

That's funny.

I found it strange when people put catsup on pizza here in Hungary.

I've tried it a few times since then. Sometimes the catsup is better then the pizza sauce.

Best pizza ever was at 2Guys from Italy in Hollywood or the $50. take away we had in Italy in 1986.

We ordered 2 pizzas for 3 people . The cook didn't speak English but he made a motion that one pizza would be too small for 3 people.

Well, for 2 skinny adults and a skinny 10 year old one would of been too much.

My husband is so frugal and dislikes wasting food so much that we took all the left over pizza to go and stuck in in the boot/truck of the car. We had left over cold pizza for the next 2 days.

In the early 70's when my husband first arrived in the US he didn't speak m ore then 6 words of English.

He went shopping and purchased some mustard for his sausage. It turned out to be peanut butter not mustard.

He couldn't fiurge out what was wrong for a min because he never saw peanut butter before and he expected the brown stuff to be mustard.

To this day he isn't a fan of peanut butter.

@Marilyn Tassy

Hehe

Shopping is funny when the very person have no idea what he/ she is buying.

In some places they simply don't use multy language descriptions/ ingredients list.

I did turn up similarly anno in Ukraine.

Had no idea what was written on certain products, as some had descriptiptions just in Ukrainian. Some others had a larger variety, like also in Polish + Bulgarian - that was also not a big help.

Or some just as best guess (no written desc. at all): like different types of flour, salt, sugar, etc in large boxes (instead of 1 kg packs) and "pick whatever quantity you would like" in a plastic bag.

Candies also.

In that time that was the default: weight most of the goods (yes even ice cream from the street vendor).

@Marilyn Tassy
Hehe
In some places they simply don't use multy language descriptions/ ingredients list.

Had no idea what was written on certain products, as some had descriptiptions just in Ukrainian. Some others had a larger variety, like also in Polish + Bulgarian - that was also not a big help.

Or some just as best guess (no written desc. at all): like different types of flour, salt, sugar, etc in large boxes (instead of 1 kg packs) and "pick whatever quantity you would like" in a plastic bag.
Candies also.
In that time that was the default: weight most of the goods (yes even ice cream from the street vendor).
-@sjbabilon5

A really dumb thing I see here is these stickers in Hungarian stuck over the ingredients list.   

That obscures the details in other languages. It makes no sense to put it over the other languages. 

I don't see why they cannot stick it on the side or elsewhere.

It's very annoying when there are instructions involved.  One has to pick the label off or use chemical removers to get rid of it.

A really dumb thing I see here is these stickers in Hungarian stuck over the ingredients list. 

That obscures the details in other languages. It makes no sense to put it over the other languages.

-@fluffy2560

The problem is the assumption that it is either dumb or makes no sense.

It is intentional, and makes perfect sense: harm the consumer.

The aim is to sell the product and limit the consumer on informations like ingredients, origins, etc... which possibly can discourage them from buying that product for that price (or even a product which already passed the best before date).

This is capitalism.

Off course authorities like food safety and competition office deprecate such practices but large shopping chains always claim such nonsenses, like "oh, just one of our new employee made a mistake", etc... and fines are less than pocket money for such businesses.

Similarly as "discounts".

My favorite when I did demanded to get a product on a NON DISCOUNT price a few years back, because as non-discount that was much cheaper.

Why?

They made a mistake: left th original price on display, because the common practice is something like this:

Duble the price. Then put a "discount" tag on that, like -25%, so they sell it 150% of the original price.

Which is illegal off course, and a daily practice.

What happened to like hearted chat in this forum?

giphy.gif

What happened to light hearted chat in this forum?

-@SimCityAT

We're all still here. 

Maybe no-one has anything seriously funny or interesting to say or too busy elsewhere.

I'm watching the builders working in my garden - they are filling in the driveway construction with crushed rock. 

Communications with non-English speaking builders is fraught with difficulties - Google Translate helps.

How would anyone know the phrase for "armoured electrical conduit" or "vehicle strength composite hinged drain cover"? Google doesn't really know. It's a bit useless. It tries to show me products from some place in Russia or China. How inappropriate!

I realise now, at 62, with a dodgy back and some other issues, I shouldn't really have agreed to take on some heavy physical work. There's like 3 of them and 1 of me. And I've got my ordinary work to do. Mrs Fluffy says she'll help with digging at the weekend.

The builders have a very nice mini-tractor with lots of attachments to shift stuff - but at least I now know what I want for Christmas. 

-@fluffy2560

The aim is to sell the product and limit the consumer on informations like ingredients, origins, etc... which possibly can discourage them from buying that product for that price (or even a product which already passed the best before date).

This is capitalism.

Off course authorities like food safety and competition office deprecate such practices but large shopping chains always claim such nonsenses, like "oh, just one of our new employee made a mistake", etc... and fines are less than pocket money for such businesses.

My favorite when I did demanded to get a product on a NON DISCOUNT price a few years back, because as non-discount that was much cheaper.
Why?
They made a mistake: left th original price on display, because the common practice is something like this:
Duble the price. Then put a "discount" tag on that, like -25%, so they sell it 150% of the original price.
-@sjbabilon5

The food labelling is EU wide standards.  I am not bothered they put them on, just don't stick them over the other languages. Put it on the side or somewhere else.

I wouldn't link in capitalism on that - bit broad in scope. But I would link in information.

Getting things cheaper is easier now we have the internet.  I'm buying electrical components recently and it's easy to make price comparisons.  OBI is one of the worst places for high prices. Yet I see plenty of people in there.  They haven't got sufficient market information.

It's all about efficient markets.  Everyone needs accurate information.  Having up to date information is  pre-requisite to efficiency, i.e concept of real time market prices.  One sees it on stockbroking sites with tickers showing latest information.  In these days of automated trading where milliseconds count, it's a bit irrelevant for the average punter  as far shares are concerned. The share prices shown are delayed about 20 minutes.

Accurate price information means "discounts" are not that interesting for the consumer.

@Marilyn Tassy
Hehe

Candies also.
-@sjbabilon5

It's very annoying when there are instructions involved. One has to pick the label off or use chemical removers to get rid of it.
-@fluffy2560

We have purchased things at the food shops that come from Germany or a Slavic country and neither of us know exactly what it is. Cheese, maybe but what kind?

We sometimes take a risk and purchase anyways but often we give it a pass.

I really can't hold a conversation in Hungarian but I do know how to shop on my own here.

I hardly ever do it but I know I can.

I notice they often do put a label on items in Hungarian and I have to ask my husband how to use the product. I dislike it when scripts from my doctors are in Hungarian only. I always get on the internet and see exactly how to take it or what it's actually for.

I hardly take any meds but every once in awhile we all need a bit of help.

My biggest frustration is when my vitamins are not labeled in English.

I am now taking tons of vitamins and suppliments and want to know exactly when to take them and with or without food.

When we were in Poland we shopped at an Aldi.

Wasn't too difficult . They sold allot more smoked fish in Poland and a better selection of vodkas.

I could of draged a family member with us but didn't see any need to.

My two cousins from the US tok a Polish language course for over 6 months before our trip there.

I give them credit for ding that considering they were only ging to be in Pland for a week.

One of my cousins came to Vegas to see us a few years back.

She stayed in a nice off the strip quiet hotel which was run by Russians.

Well, shock of shocks she was conversing with them in perfect Russian and even making jokes in Russian and getting laughes from them!

What? Come to find out her grandfather was a Orthodox priest ( she is a HIndu) and held his services in Russian when she was growing up. Then she took Russian for several years while in college and nursing school.

Some people just have a knack for languages of course her learning at a young age helped.

I find it amazing that someone in the US would learn perfect Russian and only had visited there once and learned some Polish just for a weeks visit.

At least they tried to order food in Polish but wouldn't you know it, the server spoke English.

I tried to get my father to speak only his language to me when I was young. He did it for about an hour and gave up. He said I'd never use it or need it since I'd never visit there...

I'm not sure what dialect he spoke it was Slavic, maybe a mix of Polish/Ukrainian and Ruysn.

My step-father was half Czech and my 2 fathers would sometimes speak to each other using their own dialects.

They didn't want to forget their childhood languages so they would drink beers and BS in their secret languages.

-@fluffy2560

This is capitalism.

Why?
-@sjbabilon5

The food labelling is EU wide standards. I am not bothered they put them on, just don't stick them over the other languages. Put it on the side or somewhere else.

I wouldn't link in capitalism on that - bit broad in scope. But I would link in information.

Getting things cheaper is easier now we have the internet. I'm buying electrical components recently and it's easy to make price comparisons. OBI is one of the worst places for high prices. Yet I see plenty of people in there. They haven't got sufficient market information.

It's all about efficient markets. Everyone needs accurate information. Having up to date information is pre-requisite to efficiency, i.e concept of real time market prices. One sees it on stockbroking sites with tickers showing latest information. In these days of automated trading where milliseconds count, it's a bit irrelevant for the average punter as far shares are concerned. The share prices shown are delayed about 20 minutes.

Accurate price information means "discounts" are not that interesting for the consumer.
-@fluffy2560

If you have the skills/ knowledge on electrical equipment: sure can find fine deals.

But there is also a problem with internet: people are flooded with ads. So actually it is more easy to get wors deals both in price and quality than in a dedicated shop, where at least there is a better chance to get advise from the professional/ special employee (exactly what kind of product needed and some advise on quality).

So a specialised shop may be more expensive, and the one who have the neccesary background can get better deals, but for the one who lacks in speciality the price can worth it.

For example I am quite fine in pc/ certain IT equipments, but sometimes do ask advise at Alza, when I am there because many of the employees are also skilled in what do they sale.

"Accurate price information means "discounts" are not that interesting for the consumer. "

Oh that is exactly what hard to get.

Folkks flooded with useless informations, and actual/ right now things.

For example many large shopping chains simply discontinued the weekly "discount" brochure.

Why?

Because online they can "update" and modify things in any minute and there is no paper track and proof how should things be.

You know I did start to use internet on windows 3.1 / similar stone age methods and for sure do not trust much or rely on fully the internet nowdays.

So a specialised shop may be more expensive, and the one who have the neccesary background can get better deals, but for the one who lacks in speciality the price can worth it.

For example I am quite fine in pc/ certain IT equipments, but sometimes do ask advise at Alza, when I am there because many of the employees are also skilled in what do they sale.

"Accurate price information means "discounts" are not that interesting for the consumer. "
Oh that is exactly what hard to get.
Folkks flooded with useless informations, and actual/ right now things.
For example many large shopping chains simply discontinued the weekly "discount" brochure.
Why?
Because online they can "update" and modify things in any minute and there is no paper track and proof how should things be.

You know I did start to use internet on windows 3.1 / similar stone age methods and for sure do not trust much or rely on fully the internet nowdays.
-@sjbabilon5

I think it's not so difficult to find pricing these days online. One has to shop around. It's not so much finding deals as finding fair prices. For electrical stuff, we go to a specialist shop. We know they have the stuff but before we go, I always check a few places online to make sure they are in the same ballpark. They will be setting their prices according to the competition and if they aren't they won't be moving that stuff. We always weigh up if it's worth driving further just to save a few HUF. The fuel cost could offset any savings. OBI is OK for commodity stuff you need in a hurry. If you want specialist stuff, forget it.

I'm old enough to remember the days before Windows 3.1, like MS-DOS. I've used plenty of other larger machine OSes as well. Some of them were really good and forerunners to Windows NT.  I cannot say I like Windows 11 - it's terrible. It's taken everything away from the user and tried to dumb everything down.

I can tolerate Windows 10, it's a mild improvement over Windows 7. I was very reluctant to upgrade to Windows 10. We all gradually moved over to W10 over time and I was the last one to move over. I feared I would not be able to get all the drivers for our devices. If I had to pay for W10, I might not have done it. I am using Linux for some experimentation. It's really useful for that. Works a treat and it's all free. You cannot get cheaper than free.

Aldi and Lidl are still publishing their flyers. They just don't deliver them. We have to pick up the leaflets in store. The paper we use to light fires etc so it doesn't go to waste.

BTW, today was St David's Day. 

I forgot to make Welsh cakes.

We noticed over a month ago that our local Aldi is not longer putting their weekly flyers out in the store.

Lidl still has them inside the store.

Getting the weekly flyers in the building hasn't been happening for ages in our building.

My husband says the same thing about the stores not wanting to be held to their prices by putting it in writting.

It's fine with me, I used to see one or two items in limited sales , go in and buy half the store instead of just the sale items.

They really are cutting their own throats not having the flyers out.

I now only go in when I actually need something.

We also recycled the flyer paper... I mean my husband did, not going to even mention how he uses it!! Mr. practical.

I'm old enough to remember the days before Windows 3.1, like MS-DOS. I've used plenty of other larger machine OSes as well. Some of them were really good and forerunners to Windows NT. I cannot say I like Windows 11 - it's terrible. It's taken everything away from the user and tried to dumb everything down.

I can tolerate Windows 10, it's a mild improvement over Windows 7. I was very reluctant to upgrade to Windows 10. We all gradually moved over to W10 over time and I was the last one to move over. I feared I would not be able to get all the drivers for our devices. If I had to pay for W10, I might not have done it. I am using Linux for some experimentation. It's really useful for that. Works a treat and it's all free. You cannot get cheaper than free.

Aldi and Lidl are still publishing their flyers. They just don't deliver them. We have to pick up the leaflets in store. The paper we use to light fires etc so it doesn't go to waste.
-@fluffy2560

Sure off course we started with Dos and Norton/ Volkov.

But those also run under 3.11 ---> OR run instead of that when needed the hdd space for certain other stuff.

Anyway as for me I am using dosbox up to date.

As for modern Win:

A few years back I did buy a device where I was unable to force up win7 (was too modern the device), so bring that elsewhere, and asked some pro to try to force up win7. It ended up with win10... So that machine remains an offline one and on average 3 - 5 times screaming per a day things, like was unable to update win defender or the OS itself for years, etc...

From linux there is a great variety, but for example I disliked the Endless OS.

Fun fact: anno when the  MS Vista started it's fame with blue death on initial presentation for the public the only thing which saved Microsoft: it's servers run under linux. 1f602.svg

That is cc. the same when a catering business owner order food instead to eat the one what her emloyees sell.

Fun error message from win2000:

• The mouse gone wrong, please click on the OK.

Sure off course we started with Dos and Norton/ Volkov.
But those also run under 3.11 ---> OR run instead of that when needed the hdd space for certain other stuff.
Anyway as for me I am using dosbox up to date.

As for modern Win:
A few years back I did buy a device where I was unable to force up win7 (was too modern the device), so bring that elsewhere, and asked some pro to try to force up win7. It ended up with win10... So that machine remains an offline one and on average 3 - 5 times screaming per a day things, like was unable to update win defender or the OS itself for years, etc...

From linux there is a great variety, but for example I disliked the Endless OS.

Fun fact: anno when the MS Vista started it's fame with blue death on initial presentation for the public the only thing which saved Microsoft: it's servers run under linux. 1f602.svg

That is cc. the same when a catering business owner order food instead to eat the one what her emloyees sell.

Fun error message from win2000:
The mouse gone wrong, please click on the OK.
-@sjbabilon5

Oh yeah, dosbox.  Forgot about that. And Vista.  Gone and long forgotten - praise be. 

I actually started on the PDP-8. I didn't really get into MS stuff until much later.

Linux runs on just about everything.  Whatever old bit of tin you have, it's likely to have drivers for it and it can be up and running almost immediately.  Older kit, dump Windows, go Linux. Works really well.

My current Linux box runs Raspian (essentially Debian) as it's a Raspberry Pi.  I've tried a few of those Linux versions and I'm sticking with Raspbian for now.  What a fantastic bit of kit the Raspberry Pi is.  Cheap as anything - almost a throwaway.  I can run all sorts on there and it works perfectly.  I am using it with Drupal at the moment for a little project I was considering. I planned to use it stream movies or to overlay real time weather data over my weathercam picture feed. I just haven't gotten around to doing it as busy with my real work.   I have so many home projects going on right now. 

Windows 11 is currently a nightmare to install on older kit.  There are some installation hidden switches which supposedly can force the install to ignore things like the security chip, memory limitations and so on.  I tried it on an old machine and the switches don't work well.  Windows 11 looks like another M$ scam.

We noticed over a month ago that our local Aldi is not longer putting their weekly flyers out in the store.
Lidl still has them inside the store.
Getting the weekly flyers in the building hasn't been happening for ages in our building.
My husband says the same thing about the stores not wanting to be held to their prices by putting it in writting.
It's fine with me, I used to see one or two items in limited sales , go in and buy half the store instead of just the sale items.
They really are cutting their own throats not having the flyers out.
I now only go in when I actually need something.
We also recycled the flyer paper... I mean my husband did, not going to even mention how he uses it!! Mr. practical.
-@Marilyn Tassy

I can imagine about the flyer paper. 

I'm of an age where I remember newspaper being used those purposes but usually in an outhouse with natural disposal, not inside with modern plumbing fixtures and downstream waste management.

I don't think we'd do that now with flyers, it'd block up the pipes.

I go to some less developed countries and I am usually surprised by those buckets they leave there to collect the paper. 

Have they never heard of macerators?

(just in case: Macerators are built in chopping machines that break up materials before it goes into the sewers. Macerators also allows the use of small diameter pipes - less effort to pump broken up solids?)