Absolutely Anything Else

@zif Personally I hate Tesco, even if they have a good things. I Personally liked Lidl and Aldi (Spar from Time to time), Tesco was a no go in 7 years I think we went 3 times (Lidl and Aldi were quite fine)

-@cdw057

When we were just staying temp. in Erd at my MIL's house, trying to sell it... we bought a battery for our car at Tesco.

We had too take a bus or tram, can't remembr exactly but we packed it up and took it home.

My husband made a mistake on the size of the battery.

We should of purchased a larger more expensive on.

We repacked the battery, un used for an exchange and were expecting to pay a bit more, no problem.

They refused to exchage it even though they would of made more on the sale.

We then boycotted Tesco for many years, more then 5 for sure.

Now they are more willing to work with an exhange but then forget it.

The rye bread at Lidl is OK but most others are horrible now days.

Ah. I first thought a Lidl was a strange place for that to occur, but that particular Lidl with its cramped narrow aisles, twisting layout and large packs of customers.is different. Most unpleasant Lidl I've ever been in.

-@zif

They have remodeled the inside of this Lidl a couple weeks ago.

Even so, they property is far too small for any real big shopping.

Just down the st. from us there is a huge empty place for rent. Used to be a furniture store.

2 stories high and large.

Just been sitting empty for over a decade.

Perfect place for a grocery store with a dept. for clothing and home goods.

Drives us crazy how unlogical these stores are here.

Those empty buildings. Isn't it often the landlord with unrealistic expectations? Or an inherited property with too many shared owners to decide anything? Or an old building that would require a huge investment to be habitable again? (You don't see the roof etc from the street.) Or zoning or other governmental problems?

Oh the standalone Lidls and Aldis are great. But the urban ones crammed into old buildings are uncomfortable places to shop.
The breads at Tesco are awful. Strange because I always thought supermarkets like to use good fresh bread as a loss leader to bring customers in.

-@zif

If you want to experience panic and anxiety, go to Ikea.   Trapped walking through various departments and surrounded by slow motion dawdlers gawping at tables and chairs.

We buy quite a lot of stuff at Ikea but we look at it online first.  Kids furniture at the moment.  Then go straight to the item in question and in flash down to the cashier and off to the warehouse.  We like to minimise our time there and no browsing. 

Out of town Aldis are much better than in town ones.  Always the same stuff, same layout etc.  Easy!

Ikea does that maze layout forcing you to walk through the whole store everywhere in the world. It's their signature. But they're still making money, so I guess they know what works.

Ikea does that maze layout forcing you to walk through the whole store everywhere in the world. It's their signature. But they're still making money, so I guess they know what works.

-@zif

Ikea makes bundles of money.  Privately held too.   Owner's a billionaire of course.

Annoyances though including not stocking some items in the HU version. 

We've had to go to Vienna to get some items.  It's a bit annoying but it is a day out.

BTW, HU Lidls are differently laid out to UK Lidls. More chaotic in HU.

Those empty buildings. Isn't it often the landlord with unrealistic expectations? Or an inherited property with too many shared owners to decide anything? Or an old building that would require a huge investment to be habitable again? (You don't see the roof etc from the street.) Or zoning or other governmental problems?

-@zif

We noticed that now that huge empty space down the st. from us is being renovated.

They have several security guards hanging outside, guess thy don't want anyone stealing supply's for building.

It's about time.

Right next door to the building is a nice new modern bussiness complex.

The empty space was an old furniture store with apts. on the upper floors.

Guess it's 3 stories high?Maybe 4.

It's a huge space for one store alone, will be interesting to see what they are fixing there.

It's been sitting empty for many years, 10 or more years.

-@zif

It's a really serious problem as you say.   

Mrs F part owns a house in the middle of a village.  There are about 10 owners. It's a disaster.  No-one can agree anything. We learnt a lesson about that.  Don't leave anything to the grandkids to be "nice".  Just say it must be sold and divide the proceeds equally.  Then it's done and dusted.  Mrs F's issue has been a problem for 30+ years.  Some part owners who have far more property elsewhere have sold their shares to others in the group so the number of owners has declined.  There is one of them who is the real problem.  Blocks everything and anything.  In the meantime, the house rots away.  No-one wants to pay for maintenance.   

BTW, something weird happened in local govt financing.  We used to pay property taxes but they were suddenly cancelled.  We have no idea why that happened.  Maybe  someone else knows?

I know, when my MIL passed she left her half of her home to my SIL and husband.

My SIL already owned the other half when my FIL died.

She had a legal contract with him to get his share of the house when he died.

She was suppose to be his caretaker of sorts which was a joke.

She probably was the number one reason he died.

She was very bossy and he was a stubborn old timer.

She argued with him in his home when my MIL was in the hospital.

He got so overly upset and tried to hit her with a stick or something. She just ran out and left him alone. He was in his 80's. Probably stroked out after she upset him so much. She found his body many hours later on the floor. She tried to weasle her way into getting my MIL's half of the house and that too was one reason we came to HU.We just couldn't morally allow her to do that.She tired to bully her mother into signing over the other half of the home to her for care. She would spend about 30 mins with her a day and call that care.

Typical of her to get people mad just being around her.

Well, since my BIL knew he was out of the sale and left nothing ( another long story of his laziness and nne help)he wouldn't left a finger to sell the house when his mom passed.

My SIL was just a big mouth and didn't do anything to start selling off the property.

It was left to us to fly to HU and do everything to sell the house.

Took over 18 months, we paid for small repairs here and there, did the lawn, took my husband 2 days f work each time he mowned.

Took care of the trees etc.

Then our BIL was all put out that he didn't get a dime out of the sale.

The thing is both my SIL and BIL live just 2 short blocks away from the property.

We had to move, put all our things in storeage and quit our jobs to sell the old place.

I'm still mad about it 14 years later... I mean we could of made what we inherited with just 6 months of work. We just dislike having lose ends.

In any case we haven't seen or spoken to my in-laws since then, better for it too!

My mom I think did her best when  she passed away.

She knew her time was short, sold her house, gave her husband about half of what she made on the sale.

Went to the bank with the rest of her profit and had a cashiers check made out in the names of her 6 children to share equally.

Some got a few extras like a car or forgiveness on a small loan and in my case I was given a ring of some value that belonged to our grandmother.

5 of us went togethr to the bank and cashed the check.

Easy and simple.

My step-father wanted our mother to never sell their house after he passed. He wanted it to stay as a sort of refuge for all of us if we ever needed a place to stay.

I can now see that was a pipe dream.

I'm sure someone would of overstayed and laid claim for themselves.

I thought over what went down when my FIL died.

He had already given my SIL his half of the house legally.

He wrote out his own son.

She was suppose to come daily and care for him and my MIL, cook for them, make sure they got to the doctors etc. in exchange for the property when he died.

My MIL went into the hospital and he and my SIL had a verbal fight.

She felt guilty and told everyone what happened, probably should of kept it to herself in the end.

She slapped him in the face and then he grabbed something to chase her away.

She left and returned hours later to find him dead on the floor.

After that she started working on her mom to get her share for herself.

My husband tried to get his brother active and make his claim but he was lazy , just wanted someone else to do the work for him.

My husband made a deal with him that if he or his wife visit my MIL daily,make sure she has her meds and help her a bit that we would share whatever we got with him and his wife in the end.

He only visited her once or twice and expected allot of credit from us for the effort.

When we arrived in HU my MIL wanted my husband to make sure he would get half of what was there out of her half.

She took us to a notery and we made a contract with my MIL.

We stayed with her for 6 months caring for her then when we returned to the US we set up a bank account and each month we sent her money to hire someone with or to spend as she wished.

My SIL even tried to get in on that.

In the end my MIL made sure every penny we sent her in those years was returned to us through the bank arrangements.

Even after all of that my husband still was willing to cut his bro in on our little inheritence. He acted so demanding and strange that we just said no way.

I swear they lived so close to my MIL that just jumping over a couple times per day was no hardship for them.His wife didn't even work at that time and he was self-employed.

No excuse to be so cruel to an old lady all by herself.

Just way to much drama on that side of the family for me.

My mom I think did her best when  she passed away.She knew her time was short, sold her house, gave her husband about half of what she made on the sale.Went to the bank with the rest of her profit and had a cashiers check made out in the names of her 6 children to share equally.Some got a few extras like a car or forgiveness on a small loan and in my case I was given a ring of some value that belonged to our grandmother.5 of us went togethr to the bank and cashed the check.Easy and simple.        -@Marilyn Tassy

Your Mom had a good head on her shoulders.  That would have solved a lot of arguments.  Her method means any arguments were over before they even started. 

I can see Mrs F's grandfather thought he was being kind but he didn't know some of his grandkids would grow up to be a-holes. Quite short sighted.

We're going to be in trouble when my MIL goes.  She's got multiple properties as well.  One of them we think we can sell to the neighbour as it's right next to the Tisza river and could be part of a fishing camp.  The funds can be used to move MIL to a care home - she's wavering on going. 

And the family house. Ay caramba, what to do with that!  Too decrepit to sell and large overgrown garden with massive dangerous trees - needs a tree surgeon. We'll have to pay for that because it's all a bit dodgy.  The trees will destroy the house and even the neighbours.    Where to start?  Feels like an impasse and might go on for years.  I've told Mrs F to check the insurance on trees.

In the US, tax law can make the "sell everything before you die" approach expensive.

Sell your stuff before you die and you'll pay tax on the accumulated gain (apart from a limited amount on your principal home).

But on death, the accumulated gain is wiped out.

In the US, tax law can make the "sell everything before you die" approach expensive. Sell your stuff before you die and you'll pay tax on the accumulated gain (apart from a limited amount on your principal home).But on death, the accumulated gain is wiped out.        -@zif

My mother passed over 32 years ago.( Still seems so fresh though)

Not sure about the tax laws now over there.

Dividing her house between 6 children plus her husband getting about half of it and them living off the sale for a good year with him being a big shot in his local bar and buying rounds for every person in the place really didn't leave me even enough to put a dent in my credit card bills.

I know my brother and sister wanted to hunt down our 2nd step-dad and hang him high. He spent mom's money, hard earned from her deceased husands work. Really got them both going. Mom was dying and we were all running to the cops and searching for daddy-o. Silly us, we didn't think of hitting the local bars in our search for him.

As the saying goes, "It's the tought that counts"

My ring that she gave me is probably worth more then what she left me in cash.

Well. IDK, I heard the price of dimonds has dropped because more young people perfer to use money to travel then to buy dimonds.

My mom I think did her best when  she passed away.She knew her time was short, sold her house, gave her husband about half of what she made on the sale.Went to the bank with the rest of her profit and had a cashiers check made out in the names of her 6 children to share equally.Some got a few extras like a car or forgiveness on a small loan and in my case I was given a ring of some value that belonged to our grandmother.5 of us went togethr to the bank and cashed the check.Easy and simple.        -@Marilyn TassyYour Mom had a good head on her shoulders.  That would have solved a lot of arguments.  Her method means any arguments were over before they even started.  I can see Mrs F's grandfather thought he was being kind but he didn't know some of his grandkids would grow up to be a-holes. Quite short sighted.We're going to be in trouble when my MIL goes.  She's got multiple properties as well.  One of them we think we can sell to the neighbour as it's right next to the Tisza river and could be part of a fishing camp.  The funds can be used to move MIL to a care home - she's wavering on going.  And the family house. Ay caramba, what to do with that!  Too decrepit to sell and large overgrown garden with massive dangerous trees - needs a tree surgeon. We'll have to pay for that because it's all a bit dodgy.  The trees will destroy the house and even the neighbours.    Where to start?  Feels like an impasse and might go on for years.  I've told Mrs F to check the insurance on trees.        -@fluffy2560

Thanks, mom had her moments of insanity but overall she was practical.

She was a mother lion, didn't want her children to be put out because of her for any reason.

Still upsetting to think she was dying from cancer and lied to us saying she was fine and her doctors were treating her for other issues.

In reality she told them to all leave her alone and she never visited any of them.

I spoke with her just days before she went into a coma and she still insisted she was fine.

Some people cry wolf at the drop of a dime but not her.

I always said I wish my in-laws had bought near Balaton and not Erd but hearing how much hassle that can be is an eye opener.

I'm sure it can be irratating to see what needs to be done and knowing no one will fork over any funds to do the work.

We experienced that with my MIL's house too.

I know a few people who have a small part of sharing a Balaton house, they all seem like it's a hassle most of the time.

Everyone fighting over what week or month they want etc.

I know in 1986 I was so angry with my husbands old friends.

They rented a Balaton house to us for 3 days. We paid them and were just settling into the house for the weekend when out of the blue they show up with another couple and a bunch of kids!

I got so mad, we paid to be alone after all.

I packed our things up and told my husband we were not staying there. So very rude of them to just show up knowing I am American and do not speak the language and that we had no clue we were paying for everyone to jin us. After that I don't expect nada from anyone.

No idea how on earth they could think it was OK to charge us and then show up and take over?

In the US, tax law can make the "sell everything before you die" approach expensive. Sell your stuff before you die and you'll pay tax on the accumulated gain (apart from a limited amount on your principal home).But on death, the accumulated gain is wiped out.        -@zif

It won't be a problem in Hungary.  IHT (Inheritance Tax) is quite low or non-existent for immediate family. 

In my own country (UK), they are considering scrapping IHT.  The limit is £325K (estates above that have to pay).  Many people own houses worth over a million. Just house price inflation.

It's kind of interesting how people have property in Hungary.  They all seem to have "hidden" property portfolios of some description.  As far as I can see, it's all inherited or bought for their kids in some way.

It won't be a problem in Hungary.  IHT (Inheritance Tax) is quite low or non-existent for immediate family. 

In my own country (UK), they are considering scrapping IHT.  The limit is £300K (estates above that have to pay).  Many people own houses worth over a million. Just house price inflation.

It's kind of interesting how people have property in Hungary.  They all seem to have "hidden" property portfolios of some description.  As far as I can see, it's all inherited or bought for their kids in some way.

-@fluffy2560

UK Inheritance Tax

What's included in the estate?

The value of your estate for the purpose of inheritance tax includes:

your savings

possessions including property

pension funds (certain payments from payment funds may be subject to Inheritance Tax)

subject to certain exemptions, the value of any money or property you gave away during the seven years prior to death

The first £325,000 of your estate is tax-free so the 40% tax only applies to anything that goes over this value.

If you leave your property to your children or your grandchildren (including adopted, foster or step-children), you may gain an additional tax-free allowance of £125,000. This amount will increase by £25,000 every April until it reaches £175,000 in April 2020. Any unused part of this amount can be passed on to a surviving partner.

This additional exemption will also be available where someone who has died sold their home or downsized on or after 8 July 2015.

In the US, tax law can make the "sell everything before you die" approach expensive. Sell your stuff before you die and you'll pay tax on the accumulated gain (apart from a limited amount on your principal home).But on death, the accumulated gain is wiped out.        -@zifIt won't be a problem in Hungary.  IHT (Inheritance Tax) is quite low or non-existent for immediate family.  In my own country (UK), they are considering scrapping IHT.  The limit is £300K (estates above that have to pay).  Many people own houses worth over a million. Just house price inflation.It's kind of interesting how people have property in Hungary.  They all seem to have "hidden" property portfolios of some description.  As far as I can see, it's all inherited or bought for their kids in some way.        -@fluffy2560

UK Inheritance Tax

What's included in the estate?
The value of your estate for the purpose of inheritance tax includes:

your savings
possessions including property
pension funds (certain payments from payment funds may be subject to Inheritance Tax)
subject to certain exemptions, the value of any money or property you gave away during the seven years prior to death
The first £325,000 of your estate is tax-free so the 40% tax only applies to anything that goes over this value.

If you leave your property to your children or your grandchildren (including adopted, foster or step-children), you may gain an additional tax-free allowance of £125,000. This amount will increase by £25,000 every April until it reaches £175,000 in April 2020. Any unused part of this amount can be passed on to a surviving partner.

This additional exemption will also be available where someone who has died sold their home or downsized on or after 8 July 2015.

-@SimCityAT

Yes, Google knows everything.   I knew it was £300K'ish but couldn't be bothered looking it up.

In the UK you can actually give away anything so long as you do it 7 years before.  My parents did it to me many years ago.

But there's no substitute for doing it yourself.   It's a learning curve.

The biggest hassle on small estates (where there is a will) is getting probate.   

Currently runs at 16 weeks.  And you have to pay the courts £300 for the privilege.

I inherited some money from a great-aunt. It should have gone to my mum, but as she had died it was split into 2 (me and my sister). It took about a year. It was a vast estate though. I still have the paperwork somewhere, where it states where the money went to. I had no idea how wealthy she was, I should have made more of an effort to be her favourite and only great-nephew (j/k)

I inherited some money from a great-aunt. It should have gone to my mum, but as she had died it was split into 2 (me and my sister). It took about a year. It was a vast estate though. I still have the paperwork somewhere, where it states where the money went to. I had no idea how wealthy she was, I should have made more of an effort to be her favourite and only great-nephew (j/k)

-@SimCityAT

If you dealt with it yourself,  I sympathise.   It's amazing how little things turn into such paperwork fests. Some of it makes no sense whatsoever.   The terminology is hard work too.  For anyone working through the loss of their loved one and doing administration, it's pretty horrible.   For low value estates, employing someone to deal with it is uneconomic.  One simply has to tackle it directly and quickly.

I inherited some money from a great-aunt. It should have gone to my mum, but as she had died it was split into 2 (me and my sister). It took about a year. It was a vast estate though. I still have the paperwork somewhere, where it states where the money went to. I had no idea how wealthy she was, I should have made more of an effort to be her favourite and only great-nephew (j/k)        -@SimCityAT

If you dealt with it yourself,  I sympathise.   It's amazing how little things turn into such paperwork fests. Some of it makes no sense whatsoever.   The terminology is hard work too.  For anyone working through the loss of their loved one and doing administration, it's pretty horrible.   For low value estates, employing someone to deal with it is uneconomic.  One simply has to tackle it directly and quickly.

-@fluffy2560

We had a solicitor, but they were dragging their heels. The estate was over 1 million. She was a farmer and had no children.

We had a solicitor, but they were dragging their heels. The estate was over 1 million. She was a farmer and had no children.

-@SimCityAT

That means IHT.  Sorry about it.  Buggers take half. 

We're not facing that problem as no way is the estate subject to IHT. 

We're doing it ourselves with no solicitor.

Still have to fill in the forms though.  Just takes ages.  No-one can do anything at all until probate is granted. 

It just shows that it doesn't matter how organised the deceased appeared to be, it's never organised enough.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about inheritance or estate tax. (At the U.S. Federal level it only applies to quite large estates anyway.)

I'm talking about income tax on the gain accumulated while you hold an asset: taxable gain is basically wiped out on death for U.S. Federal tax purposes.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about inheritance or estate tax. (At the U.S. Federal level it only applies to quite large estates anyway.)I'm talking about income tax on the gain accumulated while you hold an asset: taxable gain is basically wiped out on death for U.S. Federal tax purposes.        -@zif

It's the same somewhat for the deceased in the UK where I'm an amateur currently working on this sort of thing.   

For example, the person who passed away has to pay income tax on interest paid on cash held at a  bank or share income.   The deceased estate does not get any allowances either.  The tax office will waive some tiny amounts but in general, income tax on interest has to be paid, even if you're dead.  The estate still gets some of the interest as it's a flat rate percentage.

Brings a whole new meaning to the usual thing people say about the only certainties are death and taxes!

Oh of course that's the case in the States, too. Until it's wound up an estate is pretty much taxed like a person on any income it receives.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about inheritance or estate tax. (At the U.S. Federal level it only applies to quite large estates anyway.)I'm talking about income tax on the gain accumulated while you hold an asset: taxable gain is basically wiped out on death for U.S. Federal tax purposes.        -@zif

I rethought the comment that was posted and figured it did mean in the US at least if a person dies then all their debts die off with them.

My mother was very much a proud but poor person who was old school.

She never went for gov. aid when she was left alone to raise 4 children by herself with zero support from our father. She just pulled it together and hunted and hunted until she found a job that would be enough income( barely) to alloow her to keep a roof over our heads and put food on the table.

When she sold her home although she knew she wasn't going to be around for much longer, she made sure she paid off every single debt she had. All credit cards, loans everything.

She wanted to close the books with a clean slate.

Mom wasn't overly reglious or anything but felt it was the right thng to do to pay off her bills.

I don't know about karma but she didn't want any bad-mo-jo from the other side or any reason for karma to bring her back here. To put it simply she wanted to meet the Lord and not have any detours.

She was ready to move on and be with God without any earthly worries or cares.

I doubt most peple would pay off the amount she owed if they knew they could get away form not paying it.

I doubt I'd be such a big person.

My first step-father was the same way, wouldn't be able to live with himself if he felt he did anyone wrong, even the tax man.

I think that generation had a strict moral code they could never break.

My mother was very much a proud but poor person who was old school.
She never went for gov. aid when she was left alone to raise 4 children by herself with zero support from our father. She just pulled it together and hunted and hunted until she found a job that would be enough income( barely) to alloow her to keep a roof over our heads and put food on the table.
When she sold her home although she knew she wasn't going to be around for much longer, she made sure she paid off every single debt she had. All credit cards, loans everything.
She wanted to close the books with a clean slate.
Mom wasn't overly reglious or anything but felt it was the right thng to do to pay off her bills.
I don't know about karma but she didn't want any bad-mo-jo from the other side or any reason for karma to bring her back here. To put it simply she wanted to meet the Lord and not have any detours.
She was ready to move on and be with God without any earthly worries or cares.
I doubt most peple would pay off the amount she owed if they knew they could get away form not paying it.
I doubt I'd be such a big person.
My first step-father was the same way, wouldn't be able to live with himself if he felt he did anyone wrong, even the tax man.
I think that generation had a strict moral code they could never break.

-@Marilyn Tassy

I think it was that generation. All of my grandparents worked hard. My Welsh ones were farmers and lived quite well during the war as all the food they ate was from their farm and would trade with other farms. They made their own wine, cider and beer. My mum would take care of her sisters and walk them to school.

My English grandmother was a baker and my grandfather worked on the railways. They had no help from the state and owned their house. My dad was lucky as he had free train travel so going to college in London it was easy for him. But to fund his education, he played in pubs and bars the piano.

At least in the US, debts are wiped out on death in the sense that creditors can't go after the deceased's family for the debts.

But creditors can of course file a claim against the estate and collect on the debts before any distributions are made to beneficiaries.

My mother was used to caring for others. She often missed school at age 11 to help care for her ill mother who was bed riden.  She had to wash all the laundry and do all the cooking and cleaning alone.She started working full time from age 14 when she was forced to quit school by her grandmother and aunts and pay her own way and that of her younger sister.

No child welfare in the US back then.

Mom allowed us to be babied as long as possible and never put her burdens on us. She felt like she didn't have a childhood and waited  us to enjoy ours as long a possible.

Even with her having to work after my parents divorced she tried to not tell us how bad her situation was and always said the Lord with provide.

He did, although it was more like hot dogs for dinner then prime rib.

I miss those older generation folks they were so down to earth.

I think that was an attraction t me when I met my refugee husband in Ca.

He knew what a hard life was but never quit and never complained about anything.

Pulled himself up by himself with hard work and never asked for help.

My mother was used to caring for others. She often missed school at age 11 to help care for her ill mother who was bed riden.  She had to wash all the laundry and do all the cooking and cleaning alone.She started working full time from age 14 when she was forced to quit school by her grandmother and aunts and pay her own way and that of her younger sister.***I miss those older generation folks they were so down to earth.I think that was an attraction t me when I met my refugee husband in Ca.He knew what a hard life was but never quit and never complained about anything.Pulled himself up by himself with hard work and never asked for help.        -@Marilyn Tassy

Agree they are people of value and experience by deeds.

Up to date I value someone more who did grow up/ survive in a favella/ in similar places over any modern one.

Many claims the backbone of societies are the middle class, but I do think exactly that is the weakest part which grow up in relative prosperity, security and confort (in short: a pink buble world vs. reality) - also they have the most notable fear about loose a certain status (slide down to loower class) and security.

But I disagree it is a question of age/ generation.

It is more about territory and situation.

See in South America or in the Philippines there are millions in the same situation up to date.

Or even in the so called modern territories:

Appalachia

Virginia

Flint

Still many get shiocked that in even the US it is possible to buy both a dress OR a slave for some 3,000 - 5,000 bucks, no not someone from Mex, but rigtht in place, just nowdays it is not politically correct to talk about white slavery (or even proverty).

My mother used to scare us girls all the time talking about ,"white slavery".

She spoke about being shipped to other countries in cages.

Where did she get that from I wonder back in the 50's and 60's?

It wasn't a subject much spoken about, at least not in the US at that time.

We were not allowed to go past a certain area when playing and had to check in every so often to just tell her where we were playing.Never really allowed to be out alone either, always in a group.

My 2nd cousin just arrived yesterday in the Phillipines. His uncle, my first cousin lives there up  in the mountains.

I'm going to ask him later how he found things there.

His uncle lives very much like a local with his wives family living close by, the neighobrs children just coming in and treating his home like their own etc.

Cat fights at night, roosters waking him up early etc.

We were considering visiting there very soon but I really am not ready mentally to do a big trip.

We thought of meeting our son over there and making it a family reunion and vacation.

I partly would love it and partly see it as a big hassle.

Must be getting old with that attitude.

To support Mrs Fluffy, I was at the anti-government protest on Monday evening (1956 memorial day). 

-

It was held at Oktagon with a march from Heroes Square.   The march started at about 17.45h.

-

Speeches, music and cheering in the shadow of the illuminated Terror House.

-

I'm no expert Hungarian speaker but I could understand many of the signs and they were not complimentary at all to OV.   

-

Numbers of attendees hard to guess but I would say maybe 10-15,000 over the course of the protest. Not as many as one would hope.  But quite interesting to see the diversity of people there - all ages, kids, pensioners, teachers, civil servants, political types, NGOs etc.

-

Plenty of Police, drones and cameras in evidence.  No doubt we've all been facially recognised.  Risk for me but less so for Mrs F.

-

The Russian Embassy was very heavily policed and there were plenty of Ukrainian protestors shouting insults at the building.    Cops there were videoing the crowd and any people at the security fence.

Protests. Interesting.

We took a stroll near the Parliament building yesterday.

Just tourists standing in long lines to get in.

14 years here and I've never entered that building.

Am I missing something?

My husband mentioned it was very,"Low key" and they didn't have any protesters or memorbilla from 56.

They had one old Csepel Island made truck on display.

My husband wanted   a look at it since it was the type of double clutch truck he learned to drive with.  No power steering either.Had to do 40 hours with an instructor to pass part of his driving test in 1968 n one of those bad boys.

He also said he and his bro hopped onto this type of truck in 1956 when he was 9.

They quickly jumped off before they got hurt in the fighting.

Just a bunch of unaware tourists there except a women about my husbands age who was just standing still and staring at the truck, like memories were flooding her mind.

Never been in the House of Terror either. husband said he lived it ,he doesn't need a Disneyland version of what happened back in the day.

He said in his youth only minors really went to the park on Oct.23, so many police used to be there and no one wanted to be acussed of being a trouble maker or proteser. Best to stay home and mind your business, at least in the old commie days.

Yes, I'm sure they got your number but good on you for supporting your wife and the cause of trying to keep these dictators under check.

I just recieved a news flash that Putin has been found laying on the floor suffering a heart attack.IDK, one down and many more to go?

Protests. Interesting.We took a stroll near the Parliament building yesterday.Just tourists standing in long lines to get in.14 years here and I've never entered that building.Am I missing something?My husband mentioned it was very,"Low key" and they didn't have any protesters or memorbilla from 56.They had one old Csepel Island made truck on display.My husband wanted   a look at it since it was the type of double clutch truck he learned to drive with.  No power steering either.Had to do 40 hours with an instructor to pass part of his driving test in 1968 n one of those bad boys.He also said he and his bro hopped onto this type of truck in 1956 when he was 9.They quickly jumped off before they got hurt in the fighting.Just a bunch of unaware tourists there except a women about my husbands age who was just standing still and staring at the truck, like memories were flooding her mind.Never been in the House of Terror either. husband said he lived it ,he doesn't need a Disneyland version of what happened back in the day.He said in his youth only minors really went to the park on Oct.23, so many police used to be there and no one wanted to be accused of being a trouble maker or protester. Best to stay home and mind your business, at least in the old commie days.Yes, I'm sure they got your number but good on you for supporting your wife and the cause of trying to keep these dictators under check.  I just recieved a news flash that Putin has been found laying on the floor suffering a heart attack.IDK, one down and many more to go?      -@Marilyn Tassy

I think we will visit the Terror House sometime.  It's good to remind oneself of history. 

-

I am sure it's not Disneyland in there.   I've been to places like Dachau (concentration camp near Munich) and it's no Disneyland there at all.  It's a horror show.   Only those without a beating heart and a conscience will not be moved.

-

I look back at Communism as a kind of cult.   Like the Nazis.

-

I'm just dipping into a really old book (coincidentally from 1956) on brainwashing of the masses/individuals by a US professor called Joost Meerlo (that's a Dutch name). It's free to download in PDF - maybe someone is interested, click here

-

Anyway, I was concerned I'd be facially matched up and eventually deported for just being there.  I wasn't there to protest for myself but I was there for Mrs F and the Fluffyettes.  My fears say something about where we are politically here in HU.  Mrs F says she had no choice but to protest.   

-

Fingers crossed Putin has passed on (downwards where it's nice and hot).  So many rumours about him.  One of my Russian speaking friends told me the recent meetings in Beijing were attended by Putin lookalikes.  Makes you wonder if Putin has been dead for years and one of his lookalikes has been running the show since his demise.  We're not that far gone in HU but maybe there are OV clones as well.

I'm sure everyone has heard of David Icke, he says many in power are lizards in skin suits.

He may have a point!

One thing for sure, they have sold out for power and so called,"glory".

Yesterday while walking my husband pointed over to the BUda side where OV has built himself a castle next to the castle.

He gets all worked up abut these power hungry ,"lizards" who don't do anything for anyone but their friends and their own bank accunts.

He can't go into the Terror House, he is serious about getting too overly upset and angry if he remembers the past.

We once went into a museum, the National One, not sure.

They had a room set up like commie 1960's with clothing that people put on for work, the time clock they had to punch etc.

My husband was happy and laughing until we went in there. The rest of the day he was down and out and just about passed out in that room from emotional flash backs.

Married nealry 50 yeaers and still to this day he comes up with a new tale from the past.

He hides allot of trauma and it takes allot to get him to open up an donce he does, he doesn't stop.

I heard Putin had 2 guys with him on one of his trips to Asia, they both had a suitcase with a red button inside.

I haven't seen much more news on his helath, it just came up on my laptop that he was found laying n the floor having a heart attack.

Wishful thinking or reality, I'll watch the news later and see if they twist the facts or tell the truth.

I'm sure everyone has heard of David Icke, he says many in power are lizards in skin suits.He may have a point!One thing for sure, they have sold out for power and so called,"glory".Yesterday while walking my husband pointed over to the BUda side where OV has built himself a castle next to the castle.He gets all worked up abut these power hungry ,"lizards" who don't do anything for anyone but their friends and their own bank accunts.He can't go into the Terror House, he is serious about getting too overly upset and angry if he remembers the past.We once went into a museum, the National One, not sure.They had a room set up like commie 1960's with clothing that people put on for work, the time clock they had to punch etc.My husband was happy and laughing until we went in there. The rest of the day he was down and out and just about passed out in that room from emotional flash backs.Married nealry 50 yeaers and still to this day he comes up with a new tale from the past.He hides allot of trauma and it takes allot to get him to open up an donce he does, he doesn't stop.I heard Putin had 2 guys with him on one of his trips to Asia, they both had a suitcase with a red button inside.I haven't seen much more news on his helath, it just came up on my laptop that he was found laying n the floor having a heart attack.Wishful thinking or reality, I'll watch the news later and see if they twist the facts or tell the truth.        -@Marilyn Tassy

David Icke is a madman.   Years ago, he used to read the sports on TV back at the mothership (UK).    He might have got fired but he was an inconsequential nobody back then.  Now he's on the job with the off the wall claims of lizard people here and there and running the show behind the scenes.   

-

I could possibly lean into agreeing with him that lizards walk amongst us, if not in reality,  but in lizard like thinking.   Not that anyone can guess what actual lizards are thinking on a day-to-day basis.  Probably not much.  Like my dog, actual lizards do not have a plan for tomorrow or next week.   

-

I can imagine your hubby suffers from PTSD.  23,000 Hungarians were imprisoned for the 1956 revolution - saw it on the electronic sign outside the Terror House.   It's easily within living memory of many people.  My Dad didn't really talk that much about his WW2 experiences.  On a good day he might have told you something. I suppose it's the same for all those living through a war.  Hard to speak about it.   I was in Laos and there were horrible things done by the Communists.  Traumatic to say the least.

-

Imagine all those coming back home from the front line in Ukraine.  Where would you even start?   

Trump has praised Hungary's Orban as the great "leader of Turkey," which would be a surprise to Erdogan. He also said Orban has a "front" with Russia, though Hungary does not and for that matter neither does Turkey.

Trump has praised Hungary's Orban as the great "leader of Turkey," which would be a surprise to Erdogan. He also said Orban has a "front" with Russia, though Hungary does not and for that matter neither does Turkey.

-@SimCityAT

Trump knows FA about what goes on here.  I suppose he knows vaguely what goulash is.  Trump should work on his own problems.

The Republican Party think Trump is their saviour which says much for the complete lack of political awareness of those who support him.   And Trump is apparently 50 points ahead of his competitors for Presidential nomination.  It's surprising.  They cannot even elect a Speaker.   Squabbles amongst themselves.

-

I am following the court cases and the past couple of days has seen some damning witnesses both in New York and Georgia.  They've all copped pleas and will give evidence against Trump.  It's hard to see him winning any election if he's banged up doing time. 

-

I read up on the RICO (racketeering) background and it's stunningly widely drawn.  Those conspiring do not even need to know each other.  They only need to have common cause.  Makes you wonder how that works in other circumstances like religions.

-

I reckon Trump's behaviour has just caught up with him finally.   I can see him doing time but it will be a token sentence - maybe  a couple of years at Club Fed or wherever.  Or wear a tag or probation and gag orders.  Shame if only that. 

-

BTW, Orban's 23rd October speech in Veszprem was bonkers.  He likened the EU to the Russian Occupation.  So further on, what's it mean?  Withdrawal of Hungary from Europe?  Given the UK's Brexit stupidity and the obvious negatives everyone can observe, I wouldn't believe Hungarians would vote for anything so stupid but there's no accounting for the thought processes of the Videki (countryside dwellers).  It's a vote loser. OV may have finally lost the plot.

-

Oh and BTW again, some guy was on the radio and claimed Biden was the defacto PM of Israel calling the actual PM Netanyahu every day and telling him what to do. One of those is don't invade Gaza.

-

Today,  we don't need such interesting times.

-@SimCityAT

My husband lauged when he heard Trump say that on the news.

Such a horrible sterotype of Americans not knowing or caring about any other country other then the good ol' US of A.

Listening to FM 103.9 on the radio.

A mix of HU rock, oldies and everything in between. Loads of anti-war 1960's songs today.

The Youngbloods and Creedance.

What happened? Thought we had put war behind us?

I can't believe it's 2023 and people are still fighting each other.

I just want to live my life as Sweden. Not pick sides.

There is no right or wrong side, they both are wrong to my little mind.

Just some thoughts on a rainy Sunday.

@Marilyn Tassy 

War is wrong and primitive, humans should be able to find solutions.