Absolutely Anything Else

The police could already move on troublesome sleepers anyway. But to fine them as well to the sum of 2500 GBP!! What world are they living in?         -@SimCityATWhat world?Modern, developed, civilised society.Governments and city councils worldwide with a very few exceptions do just one of the following:Total disregard and 0 regulations (like: San Francisco)Administrative fine and harassmentWhat 95+% fail to do even as intent: root cause problem solving. Social work unable to break out from it stupid christian roots since they misrepresented who is the deserving and undeserving poor - which should be the very opposite in an effective society.         -@sjbabilon5

I see various words being used which appear coherent but I suspect they are not in the right order.  Unless nuance and naivety is causing a mental block.

So Mr Babilon, what's the answer or plan to address homelessness (anywhere, not just here)?

BTW, some years ago, I was in San Francisco once or twice with Mrs Fluffy and we were truly shocked at the destitution on "Skid Row".   It's far worse than anything we've seen in Europe.  Beyond dire.  Dog eat dog.

On that note, I'd better walk our dog who lives in absolute luxury compared to those on Skid Row - free food, free lodging, free mates, free entertainment and free medical care.  Even free love but that sounds a bit odd.

Homelessness has increased massively in the uk and in other countries. I don't think anyone has the answer. Housing is no longer a long term home for many people. Even people in full time employment struggle.

Homelessness has increased massively in the uk and in other countries. I don't think anyone has the answer. Housing is no longer a long term home for many people. Even people in full time employment struggle.

-@anns

The UK has pledged 12 billion quid to Ukraine but gave bugger all to help British people who have lost their homes. However, armaments manufacturers are laughing.

Most of the world is buying oil and gas at far better prices than the UK - Why?

Easy, because the idiot UK government is following the US - that's the country that removed the democratically elected, pro-Russia government in Ukraine in favour of their version of democracy.

The answer is easy, but many don't want to hear it.

Stop supporting the arms industry, and start doing what governments should do - look after their own people.

Homelessness has increased massively in the uk and in other countries. I don't think anyone has the answer. Housing is no longer a long term home for many people. Even people in full time employment struggle.        -@anns

Yes, and it's getting worse.  One of my older kids has no chance of buying or even renting a property even with the other half paying as well.  They are now considering leaving the UK again (they went to NZ And Australia for 3 years).  They are thinking of somewhere like Canada.  They would have gone to Europe but Brexit benefits messed that up good and proper. I'll see them in a month and I expect they'll say they're giving up and leaving the country by the end of the year.  They are both graduates with transferable skills.  Another loss for the country.  I suggested they come here but as it stands only one of them could work.

I heard on the radio there are a lot of UK office buildings and flats being left empty currently.  They could convert those into affordable housing, even temporarily.   

Homelessness has increased massively in the uk and in other countries. I don't think anyone has the answer. Housing is no longer a long term home for many people. Even people in full time employment struggle.        -@anns

The UK has pledged 12 billion quid to Ukraine but gave bugger all to help British people who have lost their homes. However, armaments manufacturers are laughing.
Most of the world is buying oil and gas at far better prices than the UK - Why?
Easy, because the idiot UK government is following the US - that's the country that removed the democratically elected, pro-Russia government in Ukraine in favour of their version of democracy.

The answer is easy, but many don't want to hear it.
Stop supporting the arms industry, and start doing what governments should do - look after their own people.

-@Fred

Only 12 Billion? Think the US as pledged another 60 Billion on top of the billions already down the toilet.

What a waste of tax payer money in both countries.

In the mean time, tent cities are popping up all over the US.

In the US we have homeless Veterans with mental health issues while we feel the need to support more wars which will create more veterans with mental health issues.

If I remember correctly it was Russia who gave Ukraine its own land many years ago? I could be wrong but basically they are the same people.

It is like supporting a civil war.

Hatfields vs the McCoys.

Yes, and it's getting worse.  One of my older kids has no chance of buying or even renting a property even with the other half paying as well.  They are now considering leaving the UK again (they went to NZ And Australia for 3 years).  They are thinking of somewhere like Canada.  They would have gone to Europe but Brexit benefits messed that up good and proper. I'll see them in a month and I expect they'll say they're giving up and leaving the country by the end of the year.  They are both graduates with transferable skills.  Another loss for the country.  I suggested they come here but as it stands only one of them could work.
I heard on the radio there are a lot of UK office buildings and flats being left empty currently.  They could convert those into affordable housing, even temporarily.   

Believe me, I have no interest in looking into hospital rooms located directly across from our flat.

Did that once and got an eye full when it was a drunk tank for men...What a view, what a view!

Ok now when I close our drapes in the evening I can not help but glance out and noticed those rooms now are full of women, women who appear to be from another region on earth like India?

Perhaps they are newbies coming over here to work?

They do not seem to be wild or drunk like the usual suspects.

I know in the old commies days all the shops were rented out, people even rented small display windows to sell out of their flats, showing their wares on the st. to passer bys.

Now there are so many empty shops on Racozi blvd.

Some open up only to close down in a few months.

People seem to have no money for extras.

I have noticed so many new beauty salons however. I do not get it.

-@fluffy2560

I know in the old commies days all the shops were rented out, people even rented small display windows to sell out of their flats, showing their wares on the st. to passer bys.
Now there are so many empty shops on Racozi blvd.
Some open up only to close down in a few months.
People seem to have no money for extras.
I have noticed so many new beauty salons however. I do not get it.

-@Marilyn Tassy

It's just the decline in shops themselves. Everyone is buying online and having stuff delivered. 

Obviously beauty treatments need to be done in person.

Those big malls are overcharging rent from what I can see.  Renters aren't making enough money to cover the costs of a spot in a mall.  Only the big chains have the clout to leverage their "anchor" status. 

My own HU village doesn't have a centre as such.   It'll only get worse.  We have empty shops. Many HU villages are not like typical places in other countries where everything is located and built around a central point - like a market square or a fountain or some building like a town hall. HU villages don't seem to have that kind of layout.

Homelessness has increased massively in the uk and in other countries. I don't think anyone has the answer. Housing is no longer a long term home for many people. Even people in full time employment struggle.        -@annsThe UK has pledged 12 billion quid to Ukraine but gave bugger all to help British people who have lost their homes. However, armaments manufacturers are laughing.Most of the world is buying oil and gas at far better prices than the UK - Why? Easy, because the idiot UK government is following the US - that's the country that removed the democratically elected, pro-Russia government in Ukraine in favour of their version of democracy.The answer is easy, but many don't want to hear it.Stop supporting the arms industry, and start doing what governments should do - look after their own people.        -@FredOnly 12 Billion? Think the US as pledged another 60 Billion on top of the billions already down the toilet.What a waste of tax payer money in both countries.In the mean time, tent cities are popping up all over the US.In the US we have homeless Veterans with mental health issues while we feel the need to support more wars which will create more veterans with mental health issues. If I remember correctly it was Russia who gave Ukraine its own land many years ago? I could be wrong but basically they are the same people.It is like supporting a civil war.Hatfields vs the McCoys.        -@Marilyn Tassy

I was avoiding getting into this discussion but I cannot let this one go.

I look upon payments to Ukraine as insurance.  They are doing the fighting for the rest of us.   They are our proxy fighters. The billions given to Ukraine is a drop in the ocean.   It's cheaper than an all out war involving all of us on the doorstep.  That could go nuclear quickly while the lunatics in Moscow are running the Russian asylum.

Ukraine has a long history of being an independent country.   Russia gave Crimea to Ukraine in 1954.  It was as far as the USSR cared, just an administrative change and they couldn't forsee the end of the USSR.  But obviously,  when Putin took control they reneged on the Budapest Memorandum which just showed who they are. Utterly untrustworthy.  After WW2 and their duplicity there over the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact, we should have learnt a lesson.   And yet here we are  again! 

Until they stop being some version of the Klingon empire, we're all under threat.  Our Western commitment to Ukraine should be limitless. 

The way to peace is for Russia to take it's Army back home to within it's previous borders.  And to stop having extraterritorial ambitions. 

Even if we all get lucky and Putin dies (quickly), unfortunately there's no way to trust them ever again.  Another one will pop up in his place.

Russian Federation should be broken up into smaller units and no longer be a Federation so it cannot wage war as an entity.  It'll probably break up anyway if and when they lose the war in Ukraine.   

I was avoiding getting into this discussion but I cannot let this one go.

I look upon payments to Ukraine as insurance.  They are doing the fighting for the rest of us.   They are our proxy fighters. The billions given to Ukraine is a drop in the ocean.   It's cheaper than an all out war involving all of us on the doorstep.  That could go nuclear quickly while the lunatics in Moscow are running the Russian asylum.

Ukraine has a long history of being an independent country.   Russia gave Crimea to Ukraine in 1954.  It was as far as the USSR cared, just an administrative change and they couldn't forsee the end of the USSR.  But obviously,  when Putin took control they reneged on the Budapest Memorandum which just showed who they are. Utterly untrustworthy.  After WW2 and their duplicity there over the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact, we should have learnt a lesson.   And yet here we are  again! 

Russian Federation should be broken up into smaller units and no longer be a Federation so it cannot wage war as an entity.  It'll probably break up anyway if and when they lose the war in Ukraine.   

-@fluffy2560

Ner. There would have been peace if the NED (CIA) had not removed the legitimately and democracy elected government.

The left Russia's gas exports in danger and allowed for Ukraine to join NATO - Leaving Moscow open to a pincer attack.

That's what you get when an aggressive state removes a government that was elected by popular vote in election deemed free and fair by the international community.

Much as I disagree with attacking Ukraine, I can see why Putin did it.

This supposed help for Ukraine, or at least the people who were allowed to vote in elections for the new government (everybody except the people who were most likely to vote against it) is really a massive boost for the armaments industry's profits.

That's what you're really supporting - unless you're stupid enough to believe in WMD.

You would expect people to think after they were scammed by that one, but 'people' are too bloody stupid.

As for your last paragraph, does fluffy realise how damaging thar war would probably be?

There's a better than average chance it would be nuclear as Russia fights for it's survival against attack.

Happily, if that is possible after all the death and misery the US triggered, dedollarisation is likely to smash the US economy as more nations realise they could easily be the next victim of massive theft - as happened to Russia.

I'm amazed people still believe the propaganda - I suppose they don't think past their newspapers and toast.

There would have been peace if the NED (CIA) had not removed the legitimately and democracy elected government.The left Russia's gas exports in danger and allowed for Ukraine to join NATO - Leaving Moscow open to a pincer attack.That's what you get when an aggressive state removes a government that was elected by popular vote in election deemed free and fair by the international community.Much as I disagree with attacking Ukraine, I can see why Putin did it.This supposed help for Ukraine, or at least the people who were allowed to vote in elections for the new government (everybody except the people who were most likely to vote against it) is really a massive boost for the armaments industry's profits.That's what you're really supporting - unless you're stupid enough to believe in WMD.You would expect people to think after they were scammed by that one, but 'people' are too bloody stupid.As for your last paragraph, does fluffy realise how damaging thar war would probably be?There's a better than average chance it would be nuclear as Russia fights for it's survival against attack.Happily, if that is possible after all the death and misery the US triggered, dedollarisation is likely to smash the US economy as more nations realise they could easily be the next victim of massive theft - as happened to Russia.I'm amazed people still believe the propaganda - I suppose they don't think past their newspapers and toast.        -@Fred

Well, sorry Fred, this is the kind of response that I wanted to avoid. 

It's all histrionics about the Ukraine revolution.  We are where we are.

I did say Russia can just withdraw to its borders.  Then the war is over.   Russia didn't have to invade Ukraine.  The only person who created the war was Putin.  The Russian people will be paying for reparations for years and everyone will be mourning their dead.  Russia is a kleptocracy of systematic embezzlement by oligarchs and politicians.    I'm sorry for the Russian people but they can police and have revolution for themselves internally.   

There's internal strife in Russia all the time.  It wouldn't take that much for the RF to break up.   Some group in the Caucasuses further over attacked a border post recently. 

That's the reality of now.

I think there's a real danger from China.  Russia is beginning to look like a proxy for them in Europe. 

Sorry Fluffy I avoid absolutely else, I prefer concrete topics and on some I will reply.

Taxes, hospitals, cataract, inflation, restaurants, shops, local people, .. I am interested. But I do not like the everyhing else. I like to target a topic and not scroll on this general item.

I have to say (from my view) the moderator has to have a look.

Admittedly I do not live in Hungary (but I have a experience)

Well, sorry Fred, this is the kind of response that I wanted to avoid. 

It's all histrionics about the Ukraine revolution.  We are where we are.

I did say Russia can just withdraw to its borders.  Then the war is over.   Russia didn't have to invade Ukraine.  The only person who created the war was Putin.
I think there's a real danger from China.  Russia is beginning to look like a proxy for them in Europe. 

-@fluffy2560

You are clueless - Do you ever read the news or look into the background of news stories?

The fact is, the CIA (Under the NED) set up a revolution in Ukraine in order to remove the freely elected government - This is a matter of history, not guesswork.

That dumping of democracy triggered the war. Russia took over the areas of Ukraine that were denied a vote in the post-revolution elections. You do realise today's Ukrainian government is in power because pro-russian voters were not allowed to vote, don't you?

That in mind, can we assume you are anti-democracy as you support the removal of a freely elected government in favour of one you like better?

The next important fact is the US wants Ukraine to join NATO - That leaves Moscow open to a pincer attack

Perhaps you woould like to take a look at a set of timelines. Put US shale gas production, major events in Ukraine, and NATO expansionisn on the same sheet - You'll see a lot, but none aggression from Russia.

Back to WMD - Did the US/UK lie about WMD in Iraq? If so, why do you still believe their propaganda?

Putin should not have invaded, and I hoped he wouldn't, but I can unerstand his reasons.

This all about money - Mainly US arms manufacturers making it.

I really am amazed anyone believes a word of US crap after the WMD mess, but I suppose I'll have to accept a good number of people are stupid.

Now to the idiocy surrounding hate for China. Until the US shifted to the Pacific under Obama, there was no China threat. In fact, most of China's military power is strictly 'back yard' rather than power projection. The US is all aircraft carriers and attack.

As a little project for you, try this:

How many wars has China been involved in since 1947?

How many wars has the US been involved in since 1947?

How many years has China been at war for since 1947?

How many years has the US been at war for since 1947?

When you google the answers, tell me how dangerous China is.

In fact, the 'Hate China' thing is yet more propaganda set up by the US as the Chinese 'communists' are better capitalists than America can manage.

Once again, it's down to cash.

Sorry Fluffy I avoid absolutely else, I prefer concrete topics and on some I will reply.
Taxes, hospitals, cataract, inflation, restaurants, shops, local people, .. I am interested. But I do not like the everyhing else. I like to target a topic and not scroll on this general item.
I have to say (from my view) the moderator has to have a look.
Admittedly I do not live in Hungary (but I have a experience)

-@cdw057

Sure, but you don't have to read the posts. 

It's Absolutely Anything Else so there's no topic. 

You can randomly bring up anything you like!

Gardening, Kebabs, Aquariums, Football, Inflation, Pensions or world events! 

It's all OK as it's a free forum. 

Obviously it should follow the general rules. 

Current discussion is about Russia and Ukraine but feel free to change the direction.

Your opinion is welcome on any subject!

Well, sorry Fred, this is the kind of response that I wanted to avoid.  It's all histrionics about the Ukraine revolution.  We are where we are.I did say Russia can just withdraw to its borders.  Then the war is over.   Russia didn't have to invade Ukraine.  The only person who created the war was Putin.I think there's a real danger from China.  Russia is beginning to look like a proxy for them in Europe.          -@fluffy2560You are clueless - Do you ever read the news or look into the background of news stories?The fact is, the CIA (Under the NED) set up a revolution in Ukraine in order to remove the freely elected government - This is a matter of history, not guesswork.That dumping of democracy triggered the war. Russia took over the areas of Ukraine that were denied a vote in the post-revolution elections. You do realise today's Ukrainian government is in power because pro-russian voters were not allowed to vote, don't you?That in mind, can we assume you are anti-democracy as you support the removal of a freely elected government in favour of one you like better?The next important fact is the US wants Ukraine to join NATO - That leaves Moscow open to a pincer attackPerhaps you woould like to take a look at a set of timelines. Put US shale gas production, major events in Ukraine, and NATO expansionisn on the same sheet - You'll see a lot, but none aggression from Russia.Back to WMD - Did the US/UK lie about WMD in Iraq? If so, why do you still believe their propaganda?Putin should not have invaded, and I hoped he wouldn't, but I can unerstand his reasons.This all about money - Mainly US arms manufacturers making it.I really am amazed anyone believes a word of US crap after the WMD mess, but I suppose I'll have to accept a good number of people are stupid.Now to the idiocy surrounding hate for China. Until the US shifted to the Pacific under Obama, there was no China threat. In fact, most of China's military power is strictly 'back yard' rather than power projection. The US is all aircraft carriers and attack.As a little project for you, try this:How many wars has China been involved in since 1947?How many wars has the US been involved in since 1947?How many years has China been at war for since 1947?How many years has the US been at war for since 1947?When you google the answers, tell me how dangerous China is.In fact, the 'Hate China' thing is yet more propaganda set up by the US as the Chinese 'communists' are better capitalists than America can manage.Once again, it's down to cash.        -@Fred

Haha, clueless.  That's a good one.  I could say the same back. Let's try and raise the level of discourse and remove the name calling. I'm not going to engage on some daft rabbit hole Trumpist/Orbanist/Beijing-ist conspiracy theories supposedly dreamt up by the CIA.   

But just to say, I read a lot of stuff all day.  It's part of my work to keep on top of these kinds of international developments.  I spend perhaps 1h a day scanning the news wires for the latest.  I use a wide variety of respectable sites - everything from the Straits TImes, BBC, Euronews, Economist, The Australian, CNN and MSNBC and whatever.

And I know the Asia/Pacific region quite well. I cannot get away from this stuff. Russia looms large next door in Ukraine and China looms always large daily over there in Asia/Pacific. 

Just today, China's actions in the South China Sea show what they think is their rights and their 9-dash line.  That dispute has been simmering for many years.  Taiwan has come more into focus recently as they need to update their defence systems.

More interestingly, the USA has woken up and is deploying forces to the region and indeed rebuilding its airbases on some islands.  Unsurprising. 

And I see Italy has pulled out of the Belt and Road programme.  But Hungary and Serbia are completing their higher speed railway - using Chinese money and HU oligarchs (who are Orban's relatives/mates). 

If we're going to talk history, we should try at least do it properly.  I'm interested in what caused the current situation.  What was the series of events that lead to where we are now?

All I'm going to say, I know a few Ukrainians, so I get the news from them. I rather have facts than from dodgy conspiracy website who where you get the rubbish from.

Time to move on, it's getting to political.

All I'm going to say, I know a few Ukrainians, so I get the news from them. I rather have facts than from dodgy conspiracy website who where you get the rubbish from.Time to move on, it's getting to political.         -@SimCityAT

Tend to agree about moving on.   We also have HU ethnic versions Ukrainians around here but in a hardly representative poll, they seem to despise Zelenksy more than Putin.  More about how UKR treated the ethnic HU people just over the border.  Same sort of thing we hear about from Slovakia and Romania. It's not the bigger picture.

Bit busy today at Fluffy Towers.  We've got some guys in doing metal work so it's quite noisy here with grinders and wot not.   Barrier around the patio to stop smashed/boozy/wandering guests falling into the garden, a hand rail on some steps  for older people (me included) and protection around our gas pipe which could be bashed by cars in the driveway.   I could have done it myself but their welding is 200% better than mine and they'll do it in a day whereas I'd take weeks.

Weather is really good AND it's going to be a holiday tomorrow.

Saw an add on FB for a laser welding stick.

Might be nice for small jobs.

Then again , not sure we can trust adds of FB.

Holiday, yes we hope to make it to the Taban area later to see some music and hang out for a bit.

Deak Bill Gyula is playing later tonight.

I like his throaty voice.

He is a bit of an act with standing on one leg, well he only has one leg...

I do wonder what happened to him, he seems well adjusted to using a crutch.

Mini is playing today as well, I am fine skipping them. They are still carrying on after the singer passed last year.

Thing is our old friend in Hilo was their drummer why back when, before they got more popular in Hungary.

He also has since passed and we attended  his interment service over in a church in Buda.

His wife brought his ashes to Hungary from Hawaii.

The singer from Mini, that Adam guy was there too.

He stood in the back like he was avoiding autograph hounds... really? No thanks.

Saw an add on FB for a laser welding stick.
Might be nice for small jobs.
Then again , not sure we can trust adds of FB.
Holiday, yes we hope to make it to the Taban area later to see some music and hang out for a bit.
Deak Bill Gyula is playing later tonight.
I like his throaty voice.
He is a bit of an act with standing on one leg, well he only has one leg...
I do wonder what happened to him, he seems well adjusted to using a crutch.
Mini is playing today as well, I am fine skipping them. They are still carrying on after the singer passed last year.
Thing is our old friend in Hilo was their drummer why back when, before they got more popular in Hungary.
He also has since passed and we attended  his interment service over in a church in Buda.
His wife brought his ashes to Hungary from Hawaii.
The singer from Mini, that Adam guy was there too.
He stood in the back like he was avoiding autograph hounds... really? No thanks.

-@Marilyn Tassy

I just saw a guy on TV using a laser welding set up.  It was for repairing jewellery.  He used it on a silver ring.  However, his machine was about the same size as a small fridge!  You need a lot of power for that.  And protective eye gear.  Might be better to look at AliExpress. I've had stuff from there and while it takes a long time to arrive, it's always been cheap and when I did complain, I got my money back, so I got the item effectively for nothing.  I've mainly bought small car spares that seem impossible to get here.  Mostly they've been perfectly OK.

There was a party in the village last night for May 1st.  We ignored it as we had a really busy day yesterday.  But we could hear the music coming from the cultural centre.  Today was really nice so the dog took us for a walk.  Now we have to remove the ticks from her.  She's like a tick magnet.  The cat was in a fight and has wounds but doesn't seem to be bothered at all by it.

My husband did some light welding as a machinist but not very often.

His stepfather in Erd was really good at making things, building homes etc.

Digging wells, growing things and of course making wine!

He made his own rod iron fence all around his property and even made the gate himself.

He even used to make rough furniture with welding, shelves for his workroom etc. Even made a railing for the stairs up to their home.

It is a real shame all these experts we knew are all gone because we could use their knowledge now.

Just like my husbands machinist knowledge, soon no one will be around that knows how to make stuff from raw materials.

We went to the Taban late afternoon yesterday.

Arrived as Mini was still playing. Hate to say it but they sounded better now then when they had their original singer. He used to do my head in with his flute playing. He certainly was no Ian Anderson...

Sat through some group called Moldy Media , not their real name but that is how I heard it, terribly loud and too much, give me a beat you can dance too.

My guy came on but he was rather a huge disappointment too. His throaty voice now sounds like a toad and the band was louder then he was, hardly could hear him.

Left in the middle of his set. bored to death.

I am not sure if it is old age or bad entertainment  but I was glad to just turn on U tube and chill out in the evening.

I know I am not longer into sitting for hours on the grass, old bones did not enjoy it that much.

Just like when we saw Eric Burdon years ago, poor old one legged Bill has lost it ,his voice was shot.

I would not trust any adverts on Facebook, its full of scams. I've given up reporting them. A few companies are selling EU driving licenses! Computers being sold for €1.99 because they have scratches!

Does Hungary have many public holidays in May?

Austria.......

440155797_10161098763622279_7749518470891644655_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=N1JnLUd7hisQ7kNvgHTTkv9&_nc_ht=scontent.fvie1-1.fna&oh=00_AfDx53xOk2mKfdPPyPOOhc2czpa0ngxGPwsKi7dEMjL9lw&oe=66399DFE

Johnson turned away from polling station after forgetting photo ID

lcimg-9aa7bdbc-793c-4118-8ba5-cbf7cbc0ecdc.jpeg

Boris Johnson was turned away from a polling station when trying to vote in the local elections after forgetting to bring acceptable photo ID.

Sky News understands polling station staff were forced to turn the former prime minister away after he initially failed to comply with legislation he introduced while he was in Downing Street.

Mr Johnson, who introduced the Elections Act requiring photo ID in 2022, was attempting to cast his ballot in South Oxfordshire, where a police and crime commissioner for the Thames Valley is being selected.

Johnson turned away from polling station after forgetting photo ID
lcimg-9aa7bdbc-793c-4118-8ba5-cbf7cbc0ecdc.jpeg

Boris Johnson was turned away from a polling station when trying to vote in the local elections after forgetting to bring acceptable photo ID.

Sky News understands polling station staff were forced to turn the former prime minister away after he initially failed to comply with legislation he introduced while he was in Downing Street.

Mr Johnson, who introduced the Elections Act requiring photo ID in 2022, was attempting to cast his ballot in South Oxfordshire, where a police and crime commissioner for the Thames Valley is being selected.

-@SimCityAT

Some level of Schadenfreude cum Karma in that.  Absolutely pointless legislation as election fraud was close to non-existent.  Young and old people disenfranchised because of it too as they are very likely not to have the required ID documents.

Anyway, the Tories have been well and truly trounced in the local government election.  It's the end of them (for now).

Johnson turned away from polling station after forgetting photo ID.

-@SimCityAT

I admit to a little chuckle

Anyway, the Tories have been well and truly trounced in the local government election.  It's the end of them (for now).

-@fluffy2560

With the exception of Tony Blair (That's the corrupt one who took Britain into the illegal Iraq war) Labour have a pretty crap track record of government.

Most are one term runs in number 10, and most of them were cut short.

In the 95 years since Labour first managed a minority government for 10 months in 1929, Labour have been in power, messing up the UK, for about 34 years (Including Bent Tony)

Crisis what crisis?

Anyway, the Tories have been well and truly trounced in the local government election.  It's the end of them (for now).        -@fluffy2560With the exception of Tony Blair (That's the corrupt one who took Britain into the illegal Iraq war) Labour have a pretty crap track record of government.Most are one term runs in number 10, and most of them were cut short.In the 95 years since Labour first managed a minority government for 10 months in 1929, Labour have been in power, messing up the UK, for about 34 years (Including Bent Tony)Crisis what crisis?        -@Fred

I do think about Labour doing something stupid.   They all have a track record of doing dumb things.  But on balance, there's no serious alternative who can get the Tories out.  Voting for anyone else would be a split vote and therefore wasted.   I haven't read the Labour manifesto but perhaps I should.  Not that I can vote anyway,

Global stuff is in some ways more interesting. Further afield, I've been monitoring the Trump trial in some detail.  I begin to think he's doomed  and will be found guilty. As more and more comes out about how dysfunctional Trump's shtick is,  it makes me wonder what kind of people would vote for a soon to be convicted felon to be President.   I think the critical point will be Cohen's testimony later this week or next week.  Be interesting to see if Cohen can overcome his publicly perceived negative persona and his track record of conviction.   Stormy weather ahead for the Teflon Don.

There's going to be more than one Donny movie.  I can just see them coming.  One positive, one negative.

My husband did some light welding as a machinist but not very often.His stepfather in Erd was really good at making things, building homes etc.Digging wells, growing things and of course making wine!He made his own rod iron fence all around his property and even made the gate himself.He even used to make rough furniture with welding, shelves for his workroom etc. Even made a railing for the stairs up to their home.It is a real shame all these experts we knew are all gone because we could use their knowledge now.Just like my husbands machinist knowledge, soon no one will be around that knows how to make stuff from raw materials.We went to the Taban late afternoon yesterday.Arrived as Mini was still playing. Hate to say it but they sounded better now then when they had their original singer. He used to do my head in with his flute playing. He certainly was no Ian Anderson...Sat through some group called Moldy Media , not their real name but that is how I heard it, terribly loud and too much, give me a beat you can dance too.My guy came on but he was rather a huge disappointment too. His throaty voice now sounds like a toad and the band was louder then he was, hardly could hear him.Left in the middle of his set. bored to death.I am not sure if it is old age or bad entertainment  but I was glad to just turn on U tube and chill out in the evening.I know I am not longer into sitting for hours on the grass, old bones did not enjoy it that much.Just like when we saw Eric Burdon years ago, poor old one legged Bill has lost it ,his voice was shot.         -@Marilyn Tassy

I like welding.  I have lots of metal working tools.  The thing I am missing is a lathe or milling machine.  It could be really useful.  I had thought about a forge but the neighbours will complain a lot.

I've tried to get my kids to do things like welding, fixing their bikes, learning to put things on walls, put plugs on and so on. I did these things with my Dad.  We rebuilt my car together including taking the engine out and rebuilding it.  I inherited that practical nature from him. I was plumbing today - the dishwasher connector sprung a leak.  Amazingly, we had the bits in my shed to fix it.  That's a bit nerdy to have enough connectors, washers and so on.

I'm not into concerts any more.  Cannot be bothered.  But we do go out to events.

It's our sprogs high school graduation today.  Maybe the rain will hold off.  Now an adult - almost 19.  Old enough to join the Army etc. It's a little shocking to see your kid knows more (apparently) than you.   Looks like I'm going to have my hair done supervised by the aforementioned offspring.   

My husband has had to resist picking up odd screws, pieces and bit he sees on the sidewalk.

Now that is bad, thinking it may come in handy when needed.

We ran over to Pratiker the other day, did buy much of anything, a few packages of seeds for our windows sill pots a few hooks to hang up some new frying pans so not scratch them in the cabinet and a new faucet head for the bathroom sink. $10. down the drain like that.

I would of loved to redo our flat but the prices for even DIY is way too much now.

He would love to have even a small lathe for minor repairs.

When he had access to one he could fix anything after work hours.Bought a used Vlovo for a 6 month visit to the US years ago.

Silly us, I forgot the number one rule when buying a used car, and knowing it wouod only be for a short time, I feel in love with the car and let myself get emotional when buying it.

The young man had a good story, the car was being sold for a song because it had belonged to his moms maid and they got her another car to use.

Met at a shopping center and we should of been wise and noticed a small oil dripping on the ground but we overlooked it. Guy had some story about it that seemed legit at the time.

Found out someone did a sloppy crazy job of changing the oil and had messed up the screw in the oil pan located under the car.

It was stripped to nada and was really now way to get another screw to fit.

Husband removed the pan and sealed up the leaky area and remade a  new screw fitting and fit with a new screw. IDK the details but his design was better then new.

We were able to sell the cost for a few bucks more then we paid for it 6 months later.

If he had not done that, the car would of needed allot of money to have a shop fix it.

Concerts, yes they pretty much bore me to death any longer.

Even the Stones seem boring these days, well rather the Mike and Keith show...

Saw a photo this morning on FB.

Some young man with his cell phone and earplugs on sitting next to Roger Waters on a bus!

Kid had no clue who is was next to.

IDK, my edit is not working on this site, I must of hit something once again without noticing.

Still have not figured out all the keys with this HU version of a keyboard.

IDK, my edit is not working on this site, I must of hit something once again without noticing.
Still have not figured out all the keys with this HU version of a keyboard.

-@Marilyn Tassy

You could get some sticky paper and stick it on the keys.  Or just get a US external keyboard.   Or just get a laptop place to replace the keyboard in the PC.  It's really not very difficult to do.

My husband has had to resist picking up odd screws, pieces and bit he sees on the sidewalk.
Now that is bad, thinking it may come in handy when needed.
We ran over to Pratiker the other day, did buy much of anything, a few packages of seeds for our windows sill pots a few hooks to hang up some new frying pans so not scratch them in the cabinet and a new faucet head for the bathroom sink. $10. down the drain like that.
I would of loved to redo our flat but the prices for even DIY is way too much now.
He would love to have even a small lathe for minor repairs.
When he had access to one he could fix anything after work hours.Bought a used Vlovo for a 6 month visit to the US years ago.
Silly us, I forgot the number one rule when buying a used car, and knowing it would only be for a short time, I feel in love with the car and let myself get emotional when buying it.
The young man had a good story, the car was being sold for a song because it had belonged to his moms maid and they got her another car to use.
Met at a shopping center and we should of been wise and noticed a small oil dripping on the ground but we overlooked it. Guy had some story about it that seemed legit at the time.
Found out someone did a sloppy crazy job of changing the oil and had messed up the screw in the oil pan located under the car.
It was stripped to nada and was really now way to get another screw to fit.
Husband removed the pan and sealed up the leaky area and remade a  new screw fitting and fit with a new screw. IDK the details but his design was better then new.
We were able to sell the cost for a few bucks more then we paid for it 6 months later.
If he had not done that, the car would of needed allot of money to have a shop fix it.
Concerts, yes they pretty much bore me to death any longer.
Even the Stones seem boring these days, well rather the Mike and Keith show...
Saw a photo this morning on FB.
Some young man with his cell phone and earplugs on sitting next to Roger Waters on a bus!
Kid had no clue who is was next to.

-@Marilyn Tassy

It's probably very difficult to get a decent 2nd hand lathe and milling machine combo on line here in Hungary. The kind of thing I'd be looking for is small scale - mainly the kind for making models or small sized parts.  I can see these lathes/milling machines easily in the UK.  I might be able to bring one in from say, Austria.  Probably would need a truck to bring it here as I doubt it'd go in the car.   It should have the ability to do screw threads.   Anyway, I don't have the space for anything larger than  2 large or medium sized refrigerators on their sides stacked on top of each other.   On a slightly different note, I'm thinking of getting a TIG welder.  The quality of welds is so much better than stick or MIG and oxy-acetlyene is quite difficult.

Roger Waters has gone bonkers of latte.  Some years ago, we saw him performing The Wall here in Hungary.  It was OK but outside and it started raining and was suddenly really cold.   I was actually considering leaving as it was getting a bit nasty.

I've read about those lube places in the USA leaving out the oil pan plugs.  Those things should be removed by hand, not using impact drivers. It's the same with many nuts on cars - sometimes they round off the nuts when they take off the wheels using an air gun.  Banging them up with an air gun with strip the threads.  It's OK to loosen them manually, then use the impact driver to speed up removal. 

I was just watching Xi's arrival in Paris and thought, "How insulting! Xi will.be furious. The French sent some young diplomat to greet him."

So will Orbán outdo the French and go to the airport himself?

I was just watching Xi's arrival in Paris and thought, "How insulting! Xi will.be furious. The French sent some young diplomat to greet him."
So will Orbán outdo the French and go to the airport himself?

-@zif

There might be some symbolism or protocol in sending a lower ranking diplomat.   Like a French stereotype of tradition of stripey jerseys, strings of onions, a beret and a 2CV.    There was a French king called Louis XI, so this is KIng, sorry, I meant President of China Xi as well.  I don't think Xi should have come as he's in bed to Putin.  Does anyone care if he visits France? Or Hungary?

Orban is bound to be seen kissing No 11's derriere as China is pumping money into battery mega-factories here and most of the workers for that sort of thing have moved into my village.   Not that I really care so long as they are not 5th columnists (haha, like that's not the default position).  Anyway, they've all got nice cars and live in very reasonable houses.  Be good to see if there's some trickle down to the rest of the place.  And no water pollution - it's a big concern.

@fluffy2560

Fluffy, you got a response on the Malta forum, aren't you a bit old to be going back to school? :D

@fluffy2560
Fluffy, you got a response on the Malta forum, aren't you a bit old to be going back to school? big_smile.png-@SimCityAT

Yes, kind of someone to reply.

Maybe I should go back and do it right this time.

Reality is I'm an interfering parent! 

A Google search revealed that the "young diplomat" is actually France's 35-year-old prime minister.

A Google search revealed that the "young diplomat" is actually France's 35-year-old prime minister.

-@zif

Ah yes, forgot about him. Still Macron should have been there as head of state.

My husband has had to resist picking up odd screws, pieces and bit he sees on the sidewalk.Now that is bad, thinking it may come in handy when needed.We ran over to Pratiker the other day, did buy much of anything, a few packages of seeds for our windows sill pots a few hooks to hang up some new frying pans so not scratch them in the cabinet and a new faucet head for the bathroom sink. $10. down the drain like that.I would of loved to redo our flat but the prices for even DIY is way too much now.He would love to have even a small lathe for minor repairs.When he had access to one he could fix anything after work hours.Bought a used Vlovo for a 6 month visit to the US years ago.Silly us, I forgot the number one rule when buying a used car, and knowing it would only be for a short time, I feel in love with the car and let myself get emotional when buying it.The young man had a good story, the car was being sold for a song because it had belonged to his moms maid and they got her another car to use.Met at a shopping center and we should of been wise and noticed a small oil dripping on the ground but we overlooked it. Guy had some story about it that seemed legit at the time.Found out someone did a sloppy crazy job of changing the oil and had messed up the screw in the oil pan located under the car.It was stripped to nada and was really now way to get another screw to fit.Husband removed the pan and sealed up the leaky area and remade a  new screw fitting and fit with a new screw. IDK the details but his design was better then new.We were able to sell the cost for a few bucks more then we paid for it 6 months later.If he had not done that, the car would of needed allot of money to have a shop fix it.Concerts, yes they pretty much bore me to death any longer.Even the Stones seem boring these days, well rather the Mike and Keith show...Saw a photo this morning on FB.Some young man with his cell phone and earplugs on sitting next to Roger Waters on a bus!Kid had no clue who is was next to.        -@Marilyn Tassy

It's probably very difficult to get a decent 2nd hand lathe and milling machine combo on line here in Hungary. The kind of thing I'd be looking for is small scale - mainly the kind for making models or small sized parts.  I can see these lathes/milling machines easily in the UK.  I might be able to bring one in from say, Austria.  Probably would need a truck to bring it here as I doubt it'd go in the car.   It should have the ability to do screw threads.   Anyway, I don't have the space for anything larger than  2 large or medium sized refrigerators on their sides stacked on top of each other.   On a slightly different note, I'm thinking of getting a TIG welder.  The quality of welds is so much better than stick or MIG and oxy-acetlyene is quite difficult.

Roger Waters has gone bonkers of latte.  Some years ago, we saw him performing The Wall here in Hungary.  It was OK but outside and it started raining and was suddenly really cold.   I was actually considering leaving as it was getting a bit nasty.

I've read about those lube places in the USA leaving out the oil pan plugs.  Those things should be removed by hand, not using impact drivers. It's the same with many nuts on cars - sometimes they round off the nuts when they take off the wheels using an air gun.  Banging them up with an air gun with strip the threads.  It's OK to loosen them manually, then use the impact driver to speed up removal. 

-@fluffy2560

I think a smaller lathe is called a ,chucker, but not sure.

I used to know more of the lingo in the machine shop world but my mind has moved on to more petty things...

I know we had a new Morosaki  lathe but that was too large to fit in a car.

Had many huge ones as well and a couple of Bridgeport Mills, those are monsters.

IDK anything about machining but my smart husband set up a few machines for us , morons to run.

He put in stops etc. so we did not have to do much other then start her up.

The set up is what takes real talent and skill.

A small one for home repairs and small projects would be nice to have.

I do not miss chip clean up though...

My husband used to smell like machine oil, he said it was the smell of money.

Congrats on getting your girl graduated, now the real fun begins.

I think a smaller lathe is called a ,chucker, but not sure.I used to know more of the lingo in the machine shop world but my mind has moved on to more petty things...I know we had a new Morosaki  lathe but that was too large to fit in a car.Had many huge ones as well and a couple of Bridgeport Mills, those are monsters.IDK anything about machining but my smart husband set up a few machines for us , morons to run.He put in stops etc. so we did not have to do much other then start her up.The set up is what takes real talent and skill.A small one for home repairs and small projects would be nice to have.I do not miss chip clean up though...My husband used to smell like machine oil, he said it was the smell of money.
Congrats on getting your girl graduated, now the real fun begins.        -@Marilyn Tassy

The bit you put your workpiece in is called a chuck.  I don't know about chucker.   

I've seen a hobbyist lathe which weighs 42kg without milling attachment.   That's manageable for 2 people to lift.  It would need a stand to put it on.  So it escalates for accessories.  A secondhand one could be very worn out.  I would use it maybe once in a while but there are those times when nothing else will do. 

My uncle was also a hobby machinist (and trained blacksmith) and made a lot of things including two working model steam trains.   These things were huge - one weighed perhaps 250-300kg (I'm guessing) and had to be transported on a trailer. I think one  he just sold to some enthusiast for quite some money. The other was given or sold a  museum but I don't know which one.  They were works of art.  When his wife died, he converted his workshop into a dance studio and took up the tango!  Bit of a change of direction.

Haha, machine oil like money, it's one idea.

I always remember at school, we had to brush all out equipment down and clean it before putting it away.  I still do that now after a job. Get the brush out and get the stuff off or sweep up.  We should have a subscription for brake cleaner.  We get through quite a bit cleaning up bits on my hobby car.

With our eldest HU child finishing high school and soon flying the nest, we might have time for other stuff.   The remaining one will get much more attention of course.   

Recently we've been doing more gardening. I never understood why older people had so much time for gardening and now I am one of them, I can feel myself being drawn to it.   I suppose it's just a slower pace and undemanding thing one should do in retirement (not that I'm actually retired).  De-stressing maybe.

Yes, when I was into material items more then I am now, I once asked my husband why all my friends had diamond rings and at that point he never bought me one.

He said, just tell your friends you own a lathe it is worth more then a useless diamond.

That is the thing being married to a practical person who was raised in a communist time, they see the world differently no matter how many years pass by.

Not saying he would go for the one uniform look they wore in China but we also hates waste and senseless vanity.

He in time did surprise me by getting a nice little ring for me on holiday, have not worn it in years though.

We had to get machine movers to move our machines around, they are super heavy.

We bought a couple new ones and the other my husband rebuilt himself.

He was in tears when he attended a machine sale at Sandia Labs in New Mexico.

They had just left those Bridgeport mills out in the weather.

He cleaned, remade parts, sanded, painted , they looked as good as new when  he was finished with them plus he was able to resale them later with a profit.

He never ever left a machine dirty, cleaned every day when his work was done for the day.

I wish I could say the same for the condition he leaves the bathroom in!