Civil engineer salary for expat

Hello Everyone,

I have been approached by a Libyan Oil company to apply for a position, but they've asked me to provide salary expectations and that's where you guys will be very help full since i have no clue how much one makes in such profession in that country and what to ask in terms of benefits that comes a long with the job.
I am a US citizens and I have fairly 3 years of experience in my field.

From what I've read it is not a fun place to be, but I willing to give it a try since the shape of our economy is in limbo for a while especially in my profession.

I appreciate it your inputs.

Thank you all.

well, people from france, italy, spain, uk, and usa were working with me as civil engineers they had salaries from 7000 Euro/Month to 20,000 Euro for a department manager. so for your case I think don't accept less than 7000 Euros/month in your pocket. this is plus to health insurance, home to stay in, and a car.
Libyans in same position have much less salaries but you will work as an expat.
example is me. when I worked with that mates we were doing the same job. I take 1500 Euro/month and they take 7000.
now I'm in the UK. I take ***** and UK locals take £2000

in brief, ask them for 7000/month Euro minimum

Thanks a lot for updates, as here I do not make close to that.
I will send my information and see what they have to say.

Take care

You need to inquire what the package would consist of, this will partly depend upon where you'll be and your status.
Where - desert or town (could be Tripoli or Benghazi)
Status - if you're married then the cost of flights has doubled, if you have kids then there are school fees too.

Accommodation should be provided, most likely in one of the camps like OEA or Regatta. You don't want to be dumped in a staff house if you're on your own.

I don't think NOCs provide transport (as in a personal car), so how will you get to the office - taxi or buy/rent a car here?

You want medical insurance included.

They should pay for you to come out, reasonable cost of shipping personal effects and a contract should include they will cover the cost of sending you and your stuff back when employment ends. Make sure this is included regardless on who makes the decision to terminate the contract!

It is reasonable to expect at least 1 flight home per year for vacation.

I'm not a US citizen, so I don't know the tax implications for you, but I'd want to be sure my employer was covering my @ss.

Personally I think Sleepy's estimates are high for salary and  3yrs experience is good, but not 'Senior' IMHO. I think 5000-6000 Euro is more realistic, but I could be wrong.

Mudman wrote:

Personally I think Sleepy's estimates are high for salary and  3yrs experience is good, but not 'Senior' IMHO. I think 5000-6000 Euro is more realistic, but I could be wrong.

Nooooooooooooooooh
believe me less than 7000 will be unfair. I'm from the country and know exactly about salaries. however, it is his decision to accept less than that but really it will be unfair. if he made sure that they will provide him with home, car, and health insurance, then it will be acceptable to stand 1000 Euro back to 6000.

Thanks to all, will take your information into account.