Menu
Expat.com

Just moved into apt unknown feeling HELP!

Last activity 29 January 2017 by marukai47

marukai47

So as the title states. I left doing hotels and found something on Khmer24. I checked the places out and all looks good. My rent is $220, but the place has no washer "no biggie" I can hand wash in a basin by hand, and dry on the balcony ledge, or on the rolling wrack. My concern is utilities. I consider myself a conservative user of water and electricity. I've come across my fare share of rental horror stories.. The realtor said water is generally $30 and electric $40. My concern is suddenly paying the bill for the entire house. The bottom level are a Khmer family, which are friendly. It's the father that runs the show; his Son and Daughter speak good English and relay messages back to him from me. The father confuses me at times because he'll speak Khmai and throw in French words. I can speak some French although a bit rusty. Should I attempt this? Lastly..... There are no towels or bedding, so I am sleeping on a matress nude at night sorry for TMI, but you gotta deal with the heat somehow. I live right at Aeon Mall. There's some alleys that go back into a village of dozens of homes, so I can easily cross Sotheros and I'm at a Aeon. I'm not feeling to crazy about shelling out a buch for an Akemi Uchi Bedding set. I also need a tea kettle to heat food with the hot water and for tea.  One last thing..... The realtor asked my nationality, which sorta threw me off because I have a strong asian looking for being only 25% Korean Why ask this???? Sorry for the long read, but thank you all for your time.

Iankyddmiller

Your being robbed mate, water usually no more that $3 dollars, electricity with no A/C ??
Sound like your covering everyones costs. Way way to much.

GuestPoster8404

Hi , my experience is that water about 5$ for one person, my electricity was .25 kilowatts, which is fairly standard, so it cost me about 20$ a month , unless I used ac , then 80$, hey if your comfortable,220$ is good , seems like nice location, do you have a separate meter? If not then how are they determining cost? I checked my meter and wrote down usage , hey this is just another learning experience in pp, but listen , so many places for rent, your in "drivers seat" they need you, negotiating is everything here! and unless they have a lot of your cash you can still negotiate, see what you will have to pay , but really look around water is only 5-10$ or free with apt, good luck find out about meter!

marukai47

Hi Twin,

I do have a separate meter for my electricity. It is at a complete standstill because the hot water heater in the bathroom blew some fuse that shuts all of the power off in the entire apartment. This is the second time this has happened; I'm beginning to want the realtor to release me out of the lease. I'm living in a Tri unit with a Khmer family on the ground level  be on the 2nd floor and another Khmer Family on the 3rd. It really makes me wonder why they chose to post on Khmer24 a website that expats use to find apartments along with a myriad of other things. I'm not sure why the electricity keeps popping and thus leaving me in the dark in the ENTIRE house. Is it poor infrastructure or laziness with implementing a proper Voltage/Am= I have no outlets to charge electronics, but luckily my Notebook was at 87% charge and my Cellular devices are fully charged. I'm no Khmer I have 3 Notebooks 4 Cellular devices and a Tablet. These devices don't cause the switch to blow up like the shower Heater. What's going on?

pedrogdiaz

Definitely for water and electricity you are been robbed, 3-5 for water and with no AC 20 sounds like about right.

i have to say for all the conditions you have mention for the apartment i find 220 high, location is most of what you paying for.

Lastly my opinion i will not like to leave in a place where i am having doubts about things.

marukai47

There's AC. I guess there must be a misunderstanding in my initial post... What creeps me out now is that my landlord is sifting through my trash. I mean REALLY? What is he looking for needles as if I'm some meth/heroin junkie? I've already gone to the US embassy they will fly me out once I sign an affidavit to state that I'll pay the US govt back for the flight. I'm tired of the clown show and the sickening Leah carts that roam the streets. Those clams are gross, full of parasite and toxins because they're filter feeders.

chococambo

You have just been fooled. Yes, you are paying bills for the full house. Advice, tell them you moving out.

GuestPoster8404

If I understand correctly you need emergency help from the embassy since you're low on funds.  Is that correct?

marukai47

A Dear Friend Payed for my flight back to New York.

I'm looking at abandoning my current apartment because rent is not due. The deposit is chump change, and because I was offered a Computational Biology AkA BIO Informatics Job. I should have never come here, my degrees are uncommon and in high demand. Astra wants to start at $120k but there's negotiation room to be had for the salary position at AstraZeneca Philadelphia or GlaxoSmith Kline, Bristol Squibb Myers is also interested. I tried ViiV, but they specialize in HIV treatment medications, Gilead would be nice, but nothing is open with them. This thread relates to my disliking of the medical system and overall corruption to the point where it's just flat out whacked. My Flight is through Hong Kong Airlines never flew, but hear they're nice. https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=630281

Articles to help you in your expat project in Phnom Penh

All of Phnom Penh's guide articles